Big 12 Adding Women Lacrosse in 2024-2025

D1 Womens Lacrosse
watcherinthewoods

Big 12 Adding Women Lacrosse in 2024-2025

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Per CU social media, the Big 12 is adding women's lacrosse in 2024-2025

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=83 ... 9479464423

And then there is this from the conference:

https://www.bluegoldsports.com/2023/11/ ... s%20sports.
hmmm

Re: Big 12 Adding Women Lacrosse in 2024-2025

Post by hmmm »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:12 pm Per CU social media, the Big 12 is adding women's lacrosse in 2024-2025

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=83 ... 9479464423

And then there is this from the conference:

https://www.bluegoldsports.com/2023/11/ ... s%20sports.
The Big 12 announcement says that the "Participation numbers in both sports will be brought to levels that allows the Conference to qualify for national championship tournaments." As the Big 12 only has 3 schools that currently have women's lacrosse, they need to add 3 from another conference.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

My guess is conference is filled out by

- Vandy
- SDSU
- UC Davis
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Ultimately, this will likely take away one at-large spot from the tourney since you would not expect any of the big xii teams to normally quality on their own.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:22 pm My guess is conference is filled out by

- Vandy
- SDSU
- UC Davis
Not likely Vandy would leave the AAC. Regionally, the AAC is a much better fit and the lacrosse better than what Vandy will get playing against Cincy, CU, and ASU. It would seem likely if the BIG12 is making this move the SEC will not be far behind.
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:23 pm Ultimately, this will likely take away one at-large spot from the tourney since you would not expect any of the big xii teams to normally quality on their own.
Not taking away an at-large spot, just taking the automatic spot that the PAC-12 has had since they’re folding.
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

This was told to ‘24 recruits last Sept by at least one of the head coaches at the initial 3 Big 12 schools.

Guessing they didn’t release this now without talks being pretty far down the road with at least 3 other schools to join the conference for lax.

Geographically, Denver would make a lot of sense. They are affiliate members of the PAC12 in women’s gymnastics so they have a relationship with the conference.
INlaxstar

Post by INlaxstar »

610Lax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:25 pm This was told to ‘24 recruits last Sept by at least one of the head coaches at the initial 3 Big 12 schools.

Guessing they didn’t release this now without talks being pretty far down the road with at least 3 other schools to join the conference for lax.

Geographically, Denver would make a lot of sense. They are affiliate members of the PAC12 in women’s gymnastics so they have a relationship with the conference.
Do you think any current BIG XII schools are gonna add? Another school to consider is Lindenwood in St. Louis. They fit geographically as well, they're between Cincinnati and Boulder.

SDSU
UC DAVIS
LINDENWOOD
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

INlaxstar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:15 pm
610Lax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:25 pm This was told to ‘24 recruits last Sept by at least one of the head coaches at the initial 3 Big 12 schools.

Do you think any current BIG XII schools are gonna add? Another school to consider is Lindenwood in St. Louis. They fit geographically as well, they're between Cincinnati and Boulder.

SDSU
UC DAVIS
LINDENWOOD
Lindenwood is part of the ASUN and I suspect they signed a multi-year deal. I also don’t know that their football program is at a level to compete in the Big 12. They can compete in the Sunbelt conference though.
INlaxstar

Post by INlaxstar »

MolonLaxe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:05 pm

SDSU
UC DAVIS
LINDENWOOD
Lindenwood is part of the ASUN and I suspect they signed a multi-year deal. I also don’t know that their football program is at a level to compete in the Big 12. They can compete in the Sunbelt conference though.
I was talking about all of the teams as affiliate members for women's lacrosse. None of them would be very competitive in BIG 12 football
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Geographically yes. But I can’t see Denver making that move.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

INlaxstar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:36 pm

SDSU
UC DAVIS
LINDENWOOD
I was talking about all of the teams as affiliate members for women's lacrosse. None of them would be very competitive in BIG 12 football
I’ll be interested to see if any other schools in the Big12 take the opportunity to jump in - UCF, Baylor, Houston, etc. Florida is obviously hot for lax right now so UCF seems like a possibility, and the time is right for Texas (how can they have zero D1 teams still).

Otherwise the likely candidates are others who are affiliate members - SDSU and UC Davis the obvious candidates who are conference-less with the demise of Pac12. Beyond that, Lindenwood, Florida, Vanderbilt, Denver, JMU, Liberty, Kennesaw are all affiliates (or will be soon).
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

610Lax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:07 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:23 pm Ultimately, this will likely take away one at-large spot from the tourney since you would not expect any of the big xii teams to normally quality on their own.
Not taking away an at-large spot, just taking the automatic spot that the PAC-12 has had since they’re folding.
Yes but pac12 usually had a team who would qualify without auto bid. Unless a big name team comes then the big 12 will send a team who prob won’t qualify on its own
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

SDSU
UC DAVIS
LINDENWOOD
I could see Utah adding as they have a men’s team and active women’s club program.

Outside chance of BYU adding. They also have an active club program and the school had representatives at the 2022 NCAA Championships @ Homewood.(They sat near us.)

Of the Texas schools, I could see TCU or Baylor being the first two to jump into the sport for a variety of reasons.

Lindenwood is interesting but as another poster said, they may be prohibited due to recently joining a conference.
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:37 pm
Yes but pac12 usually had a team who would qualify without auto bid. Unless a big name team comes then the big 12 will send a team who prob won’t qualify on its own
Based off the last few seasons, you’re correct, the teams that would have won the conference didn’t receive an at large bid, although Az St was deserving in ‘22.

But the conference alone will impact those schools for the better. “Big Football” is a factor when picking a school for a lot of girls. Colorado for example has seen a big uptick in quality of recruits in the ‘25 class and that is related to the excitement Deion has brought to the school making it more desirable for girls. I’d expect the quality of player to rise at Cincy a little and with Az St playing more games closer to the East Coast now they will likely become better as well.

The team that wins that conference in the later part of this decade will likely be deserving.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

WVU?
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

GratefulRed wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:52 amWVU?
I think I recently read that WVU is cutting majors and laying off entire departments. Something’s not on track there, not sure it’s a great situation for adding a non revenue sport.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Laxfan212 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:48 am
GratefulRed wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:52 amWVU?
I think I recently read that WVU is cutting majors and laying off entire departments. Something’s not on track there, not sure it’s a great situation for adding a non revenue sport.
Thanks. Sorry to hear that. Lived in Wild, Wonderful WV for a time--what great fan base.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:17 pm
INlaxstar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:36 pm

SDSU
UC DAVIS
LINDENWOOD
I’ll be interested to see if any other schools in the Big12 take the opportunity to jump in - UCF, Baylor, Houston, etc. Florida is obviously hot for lax right now so UCF seems like a possibility, and the time is right for Texas (how can they have zero D1 teams still).

Otherwise the likely candidates are others who are affiliate members - SDSU and UC Davis the obvious candidates who are conference-less with the demise of Pac12. Beyond that, Lindenwood, Florida, Vanderbilt, Denver, JMU, Liberty, Kennesaw are all affiliates (or will be soon).
We can talk affiliates, but much of the conversation needs to be around schools that are part of the Big 12 creating a women's lacrosse team.

The ASUN schools are: Coastal Carolina, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Liberty, Lindenwood, Queens, Stetson.

I consider it highly unlikely Liberty moves as an affiliate to Big 12, given their men's team just moved to Conference USA in 2023. Liberty also has a good shot of winning the ASUN, potentially multiple years in a row, if Jacksonville falls off (due to the coaching change). Liberty may have a ton of money, but they aren't going to swap conferences and miss an opportunity to win the ASUN. I'd rule them out for now.

It's highly unlikely Vandy makes the move to Big 12, given their football team's current conference. (I think this gives more fuel to the SEC to start Women's Lacrosse to balance out the scholarship numbers).

Lindenwood is also completely unprepared to move their football team to the Big 12. Lindenwood is now ASUN and while they had a decent first year showing as a D1 (3-4 in conference, 8-10 overall), they have a ways to go to become a competitive powerhouse. The Big 12 wouldn't be knocking down their door to pull them in. No way. No how.

Kennesaw State can be lumped in with Lindenwood in terms of performance. They are starting to pull some better athletes, but they were 3-4 in conference and 5-13 overall. The Big 12 doesn't need them.

The same can be said for the Queens (4-3, 10-8 overall) as a new D1 program, and let's be real on Stetson. They are bottom of the barrel of the ASUN, so unless they think the Big 12 will be easier (hint: it won't), I don't see them bailing either.

I don't see Denver moving either--Big 12 is a downgrade.

Here are my most likely candidates to start a women's program (existing in the Big 12).

Utah (has a men's program)
Arizona
TCU
BYU
TT

Highly unlikely to add women's lacrosse (exiting in Big 12) in the near term
Kansas (no base in KS)
Kansas State (no base in KS)
Baylor (don't care about womens athletics)
Houston (they aren't trailblazers)
Iowa State (no base)
OK State (no base)
WVU (no money and a small overall athletic department)

I think once the first Texas P5 school falls (going from zero to one is the hardest part), you'll see the other universities adopting lacrosse. The Texas HS football coaches hate the idea that lacrosse could compete with them in any way, shape, or form for facilities, field usage, or any other lucrative money grab, such as Spring 7s, etc. But once it happens, you'll see lacrosse spread across the Texas landscape like a prairie fire. They already have some solid club teams in Texas, so it's eventually coming.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

610Lax wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:29 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:37 pm
Based off the last few seasons, you’re correct, the teams that would have won the conference didn’t receive an at large bid, although Az St was deserving in ‘22.

But the conference alone will impact those schools for the better. “Big Football” is a factor when picking a school for a lot of girls. Colorado for example has seen a big uptick in quality of recruits in the ‘25 class and that is related to the excitement Deion has brought to the school making it more desirable for girls. I’d expect the quality of player to rise at Cincy a little and with Az St playing more games closer to the East Coast now they will likely become better as well.

The team that wins that conference in the later part of this decade will likely be deserving.
IMO Cincy has a coaching problem and I don't see them winning the Big 12 anytime soon. Nor do I see them making any great strides until this part changes.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”