Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
McLax9777

Re: Recruiting

Post by McLax9777 »

cltlax wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:34 pm
jff97 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:41 pm Anyone have thoughts on this?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ent/62204
Seems like it's just making it that much easier for the coaches in each region to pad the Highlight team with players from their clubs.

If I read it correctly a certain number is picked ( invited ) by IL the rest by the region coach. I don’t really understand how this trumps a tryout other than for social media bragging. I would think the same kids will be on the same rosters as always. NB is going to slowly ruin this tournament, let’s see how long it is before they have multiple teams like AS. Would also be great if the coaches chosen for any of these divisions, boys or girls, didn’t have a kid on the same team.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

McLax9777 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:09 am
Seems like it's just making it that much easier for the coaches in each region to pad the Highlight team with players from their clubs.

If I read it correctly a certain number is picked ( invited ) by IL the rest by the region coach. I don’t really understand how this trumps a tryout other than for social media bragging. I would think the same kids will be on the same rosters as always. NB is going to slowly ruin this tournament, let’s see how long it is before they have multiple teams like AS. Would also be great if the coaches chosen for any of these divisions, boys or girls, didn’t have a kid on the same team.
If we are being honest, that tournament was already ruined by the time they got to NB.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

The coach picking makes it more important to be the coach for the squad. If you look at some regional teams, you’ll see the connections with their players making rosters when they probably shouldn’t, which the coaches brag about for club recruitment.

The Highlight division was a huge drag this past summer and if you skipped tryouts, it was maybe a better use of your time. The only upside is AS doesn’t have a rising senior division, so it can be a last look if needed.
Bdgr

Post by Bdgr »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:42 am

The coach picking makes it more important to be the coach for the squad. If you look at some regional teams, you’ll see the connections with their players making rosters when they probably shouldn’t, which the coaches brag about for club recruitment.

The Highlight division was a huge drag this past summer and if you skipped tryouts, it was maybe a better use of your time. The only upside is AS doesn’t have a rising senior division, so it can be a last look if needed.
I don’t mind the changes in highlight division. Since they split up the older kids last year, most, if not all, of the highlight girls are already committed so the only reason they want to make the team is to be able to get to the senior game the following year. I heard most of the tryouts were extremely thin in numbers because of what I mentioned but very talented so the change really isn’t much different than this year and will avoid minimal numbers at a tryout. Also, Baltimore was significantly more stacked than any of the other teams(think they take pride in the local event) so invites in other regions hopefully will help with the competition level next year
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

A few thoughts

1) All all-stars games are high political, especially in hotbeds. Saying one is more political than another is really just splitting hairs

2) The one thing I like about AA is that the person coaching the team is the same person picking the team. The problem in American select is by having D3 coaches involved, often coaches get players on their team that they don't like/wouldn't have picked. As a result, lots of girls end up not playing

3) I think high-level tourneys for committed girls is generally a very good thing. These girls, especially those who aren't in top HS programs, need more chances to play against great competition.

4) Its only a matter of time before YJ/STEPS creates their own event for committed players.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:20 am

A few thoughts

1) All all-stars games are high political, especially in hotbeds. Saying one is more political than another is really just splitting hairs

2) The one thing I like about AA is that the person coaching the team is the same person picking the team. The problem in American select is by having D3 coaches involved, often coaches get players on their team that they don't like/wouldn't have picked. As a result, lots of girls end up not playing

3) I think high-level tourneys for committed girls is generally a very good thing. These girls, especially those who aren't in top HS programs, need more chances to play against great competition.

4) Its only a matter of time before YJ/STEPS creates their own event for committed players.
I’m not following how having a D3 coach for an AS team translates into lack of playing time.

From what I’ve observed these teams are regionally very different. UA is not popular with the top girls in some regions, AS in others. So if the top MD girls do UA but the top NY girls do AS, talent will be spread out.

I also personally dislike the multi-age format of UA.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

lax410 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:55 am
I’m not following how having a D3 coach for an AS team translates into lack of playing time.

AS Tryouts have "neutral evaluators" who are usually D2 or D3 coaches. The team is usually coached by coaches from the lead club from the region.

I've seen this happen in many sports. Whenever the person picking the players is different than the person coaching them, some kids get left on the outside. Better off having the person coaching the team picking it.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 pm

AS Tryouts have "neutral evaluators" who are usually D2 or D3 coaches. The team is usually coached by coaches from the lead club from the region.

I've seen this happen in many sports. Whenever the person picking the players is different than the person coaching them, some kids get left on the outside. Better off having the person coaching the team picking it.

I think they do it this way to cut down on the “nepotism” comments that are plentiful during these things. There’s really no way to stop it.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:19 pm

I think they do it this way to cut down on the “nepotism” comments that are plentiful during these things. There’s really no way to stop it.
Having been a member of the evaluation team for previous events, it is extremely hard to stop this from happening.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

AS Tryouts have "neutral evaluators" who are usually D2 or D3 coaches.
Except at the AS evaluation in North Carolina where the Club director walked out onto the field with a clipboard and basically told the D2 and D3 coaches which players to choose. Oh, and they used it as a club recruiting opportunity - several players at the tryouts mysteriously ended up at their club that Summer...
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

cltlax wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:40 am

Except at the AS evaluation in North Carolina where the Club director walked out onto the field with a clipboard and basically told the D2 and D3 coaches which players to choose. Oh, and they used it as a club recruiting opportunity - several players at the tryouts mysteriously ended up at their club that Summer...

Issue with AS has been that they have so many teams per grad year. Some regions had 3 teams. Nothing special about that. Also running it the same weekend as US/AA as a competitor. Every event has their issues with who is evaluating, I would find it very hard to believe you find a blind evaluation anywhere.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

AS is a joke. The local clubs who are paid to run these regional tryouts use it as a way to promote their own clubs and make money while at it. In our region the clubs running the tryouts pretty much force all of their club families to pay the high tryout fee. Money maker one for the club. Then to no surprise the majority of the team selected is from the one club running the tryout. Money maker number two, get their club families to pay the large AS registration fee. These clubs are getting kick-backs for tryout and registration fees. Might as well keep it all in the family and help promote the club by saying their players make up the majority of the team. Best advice I received was from college and club coaches who told me directly these events are extremely political and to avoid them.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

RollTheCrease wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:28 pm

AS is a joke. The local clubs who are paid to run these regional tryouts use it as a way to promote their own clubs and make money while at it. In our region the clubs running the tryouts pretty much force all of their club families to pay the high tryout fee. Money maker one for the club. Then to no surprise the majority of the team selected is from the one club running the tryout. Money maker number two, get their club families to pay the large AS registration fee. These clubs are getting kick-backs for tryout and registration fees. Might as well keep it all in the family and help promote the club by saying their players make up the majority of the team. Best advice I received was from college and club coaches who told me directly these events are extremely political and to avoid them.
The one biggest positive about UA Underclass or whatever it's called now is that it's free if you make the team. Never understood the draw to AS considering the considerable cost difference. AS was smart and scheduled their tryouts before UA and required payment before UA tryouts. Families were desperate for their daughter to be on one of these teams so made sense to try out for both I guess and then were afraid to turn down an invite from AS in hopes of making the free team. Don't understand why AS felt it was necessary to occur on the same weekend as UA. There's room for both events and would allow families to decide which makes sense for them. Many would probably do both. The boys side had a second event start(National All Star Games) but they aren't on the same weekend.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Best advice I received was from college and club coaches who told me directly these events are extremely political and to avoid them.
Yep. We should have turned right around when we walked up to check in and saw that the director of the club we left was running the tryouts. Daughter didn't stand a chance. Funny how many girls on her team made AS in the aftermath of our new team dismantling them 13-2...
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hmmm wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:49 pm

The one biggest positive about UA Underclass or whatever it's called now is that it's free if you make the team. Never understood the draw to AS considering the considerable cost difference. AS was smart and scheduled their tryouts before UA and required payment before UA tryouts. Families were desperate for their daughter to be on one of these teams so made sense to try out for both I guess and then were afraid to turn down an invite from AS in hopes of making the free team. Don't understand why AS felt it was necessary to occur on the same weekend as UA. There's room for both events and would allow families to decide which makes sense for them. Many would probably do both. The boys side had a second event start(National All Star Games) but they aren't on the same weekend.
The AA games are no longer free after the tryout. Apparently, New Balance did not give the uniforms for free, so you had to pay for those, too, if you made it. I think it was somewhere around $150 or so after tryout fee (not included)?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Side not from a recruiting standpoint of anyone’s kids haven’t committed yet. A heck of a lot of coaches still attending these tournaments. Was at two this weekend. Not as many as the summer of course but we still had about 20 -30 coaches a game. Big drop off from 50-60 but it was still interesting. Interesting the list for the Presidential in Fla is out. Not impressive. I’m sure more will be there
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:37 pm Side not from a recruiting standpoint of anyone’s kids haven’t committed yet. A heck of a lot of coaches still attending these tournaments. Was at two this weekend. Not as many as the summer of course but we still had about 20 -30 coaches a game. Big drop off from 50-60 but it was still interesting. Interesting the list for the Presidential in Fla is out. Not impressive. I’m sure more will be there

Relax77, not sure how it was for your daughter, but President Cup's was probably the event where we saw the fewest coaches on the sidelines.

We generally had 30-40 per game on the sidelines in the fall and closer to 60 at LFTC (summer and fall) and G8. But during presidents cup I don't think we ever had more than 15 and many of them were D3/low level D1.

Maybe coaches used Presidents Cup to see girls at lower ranked clubs who don't attend the big recruiting tournaments.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

President's Cup last year our sideline was packed with coaches
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

laxguy516 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:45 am President's Cup last year our sideline was packed with coaches
Us, too.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Not sure how many will be showing up to her game. I guess it depends on if the coaches are going to watch their commits. I would imagine there’s not too many girls in the bracket uncommitted. But to be honest, the list was rather unimpressive from a D1 standpoint. Tons of d2 and 3 coaches which is great for kids that will be there uncommitted on less known teams.

Updated.

It looks like they just added some D1 teams. Good for the kids uncommitted. They must be going through hell.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”