3/17: @ Louisville
3/22: Notre Dame
3/24: Queens
3/30: VA Tech
4/2: @ East Carolina
4/7: @ BC
4/13: Syracuse
4/18: @ Pitt
Clemson going to give Duke a run for their money with "toughest" out of conference schedule.
Clemson's OOC comparison

'24 - Davidson, Coastal Carolina, Mercer, Queens, East Carolina, Furman, Wofford

'23 - Winthrop, Gardner-Webb, Longwood, Campbell, Radford, Furman, Wofford

What says the panel--easier, tougher or about the same as last year?
I say slightly tougher but still weak. Coastal , Queens and especially Mercer is a step up. ECU undetermined with new coach. Libertys out of conference schedule is top shelf.
Agreed, a bit tougher, but I see the only pick 'em game is Mercer (and I'm not even sure Mercer is gaining/lost in terms of roster). Don't think they'll have any trouble with anyone else
Davidson is much better than Mercer. Beat them handily last year. Clemson ran circles around Mercer in fall ball too. ECU is a step up as well. Wins over Mercer and Vandy and close games with Duke, UNC and Navy. It's a bit tougher.
MolonLaxe

Re: Fall Lacrosse Schedules

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:25 am
spidey44 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:00 am Clemson:
2/10: Davidson
2/14: @ Furman
2/17: Coastal Carolina
2/24: @ Duke
3/2: UVA
3/5: @ Mercer
3/9: UNC
3/11: @ Wofford
Clemson going to give Duke a run for their money with "toughest" out of conference schedule.
Clemson's OOC comparison

'24 - Davidson, Coastal Carolina, Mercer, Queens, East Carolina, Furman, Wofford

'23 - Winthrop, Gardner-Webb, Longwood, Campbell, Radford, Furman, Wofford

What says the panel--easier, tougher or about the same as last year?
Where was the schedule posted at online? I'm not seeing it. It's fairly obvious they are keeping games that aren't too far away and are regional.

For the 24 schedule, I'd say it's fairly close. I believe Coastal will be improved this spring, but their top scorer transferred as a grad student (their 2023 12-7 record was better than Winthrop's 4-12). I expect East Carolina (10-8) to fall off a little (big coaching/system change), with Furman (10-8) and Wofford (7-10) being about the same or maybe dipping slightly.

Davidson (12-6) and Mercer (17-3) are good additions. I think both schools will put up a good fight, but ultimately lose to Clemson. Queens will be fodder, as they are still improving, but aren't there yet.

I think if Coastal can find a scorer or scoring groove, I'd peg them to give the biggest challenge to Clemson (in-state rivalry, etc.). I find the overall OOC schedule as almost the weakest I've ever seen. Great for racking up wins, good for keeping the travel budget down, but not there in making a case to be a top 20 team.

For comparison, while I have great disdain for Liberty, I think their OOC schedule is ambitious and stellar. Clemson is scheduling like they are part of the ASUN and not even the strongest OOC in the ASUN (Liberty).
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

I am not seeing it online either. Hmmm must be a big time scooper!

I think the schedule stuff is overblown personally. Sure-take a shot at Duke who has had an established program and plays Gardner-Webb etc. I just don’t get the hate towards some of the first and 2nd year programs and their schedules. I mean take a look at Pitt 2nd year schedule and how poorly they did with it. It was weaker than the above!

Love that Liberty is getting a ton of love for their schedule but let’s take a look at their conference slate. 5 out of 6 teams will be 70 or lower for RPI.

Longwood
Steson
Coastal
Queens
Kennesaw State
Lindenwood
Jacksonville

The ACC teams that take a ton of crap for their schedules but have to play the following every year (RPI wise)

Syracuse (Top 5)
Boston College (Top 5)
Virginia (Top 20)
Notre Dame (Top 10)
North Carolina (top 5)
Duke (Top 25)
Clemson (Top 30)
Louisville (Top 40)
VT (Top 40)

Essentially if you look at the schedules, the Jacksonvilles, the Mercers, the Libertys have to build a crazy out of conference slate to get their RPI built up. They also have an AQ to fall back on where Duke and others need wins that are highly likely to be considered for tourney selection. The Florida, Notre Dame, etc who play Liberty are banking on them winning the conference to bump up their RPI so that it helps their seeding in the NCAA’s.

Just the way schedules happen, look at football and basketball. Ohio State buys out of conference wins so that they can focus on the meat of their conference schedule.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

No doubt--hmmm has his finger on the pulse. He's had the straight dope on a lot of insider stuff over the past year or so...
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:00 am Clemson:
2/10: Davidson
2/14: @ Furman
2/17: Coastal Carolina
2/24: @ Duke
3/2: UVA
3/5: @ Mercer
3/9: UNC
3/11: @ Wofford
THIS ABOVE IS IT!!! Clemson's absolutely terrible OOC schedule rolls again for 2024.
OuttaNowhereWregget

btwn30lax wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:21 pm The ACC teams that take a ton of crap for their schedules but have to play the following every year (RPI wise)

Syracuse (Top 5)
Boston College (Top 5)
Virginia (Top 20)
Notre Dame (Top 10)
North Carolina (top 5)
Duke (Top 25)
Clemson (Top 30)
Louisville (Top 40)
VT (Top 40)
There is no way Syracuse or BC or Virginia or Carolina take a ton of crap for their out of conference schedules the way Duke and Clemson and even Notre Dame does. Syracuse most especially. The Orange typically play the toughest OOC schedule in all of D1.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:16 am
btwn30lax wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:21 pm The ACC teams that take a ton of crap for their schedules but have to play the following every year (RPI wise)

Syracuse (Top 5)
Boston College (Top 5)
Virginia (Top 20)
Notre Dame (Top 10)
North Carolina (top 5)
Duke (Top 25)
Clemson (Top 30)
Louisville (Top 40)
VT (Top 40)
There is no way Syracuse or BC or Virginia or Carolina take a ton of crap for their out of conference schedules the way Duke and Clemson and even Notre Dame does. Syracuse most especially. The Orange typically play the toughest OOC schedule in all of D1.
Halfpenny at Notre Dame is the worst at padding the schedule. A few years ago they had to add late season games versus the likes of Detroit Mercy to help them get to a .500 record and make the tourney.

Agreed on Carolina—no one should complain about their schedule and they are willing to add a game of two for teams looking to play up. Cuse does a great job with strength of schedule—I say that as someone that has almost zero love for Cuse (I love their continually nesting Hawk residents more than their teams).

When you play in the toughest conference you’ll reap those benefits and some schools are trying to elevate to make it into a group like that, but it isn’t always easy if you don’t have great football or basketball squads.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

btwn30lax wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:21 pm I am not seeing it online either. Hmmm must be a big time scooper!

I think the schedule stuff is overblown personally. Sure-take a shot at Duke who has had an established program and plays Gardner-Webb etc. I just don’t get the hate towards some of the first and 2nd year programs and their schedules. I mean take a look at Pitt 2nd year schedule and how poorly they did with it. It was weaker than the above!

Love that Liberty is getting a ton of love for their schedule but let’s take a look at their conference slate. 5 out of 6 teams will be 70 or lower for RPI.

Longwood
Steson
Coastal
Queens
Kennesaw State
Lindenwood
Jacksonville

The ACC teams that take a ton of crap for their schedules but have to play the following every year (RPI wise)

Syracuse (Top 5)
Boston College (Top 5)
Virginia (Top 20)
Notre Dame (Top 10)
North Carolina (top 5)
Duke (Top 25)
Clemson (Top 30)
Louisville (Top 40)
VT (Top 40)

Essentially if you look at the schedules, the Jacksonvilles, the Mercers, the Libertys have to build a crazy out of conference slate to get their RPI built up. They also have an AQ to fall back on where Duke and others need wins that are highly likely to be considered for tourney selection. The Florida, Notre Dame, etc who play Liberty are banking on them winning the conference to bump up their RPI so that it helps their seeding in the NCAA’s.

Just the way schedules happen, look at football and basketball. Ohio State buys out of conference wins so that they can focus on the meat of their conference schedule.
Agree on Liberty’s OOC schedule. Looks rock solid. Their conference is the exact opposite, so I imagine their strategy is earn the AQ and use the early schedule to prepare for the tourney. I like this approach given the strength of the ASUN. To highlight this, a group of USF freshman ran circles around Stetson this fall. Playing in the ASUN will not help Liberty.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Notre Dame’s problem isn’t just the weak schedule. It is that Halfpenny, leaves the stars in to pad their number for awards. Think they had one blowout game where China and Ahern connected on the 20th and last goal. Lots of backups never play in their bad games. Freshmen class last year was almost invisible in games.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:07 am Notre Dame’s problem isn’t just the weak schedule. It is that Halfpenny, leaves the stars in to pad their number for awards. Think they had one blowout game where China and Ahern connected on the 20th and last goal. Lots of backups never play in their bad games. Freshmen class last year was almost invisible in games.
Another 12 kids recruited there this year. 11 last year. I’d be surprised if more than half of those kids ever step on the field.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:47 am Cuse does a great job with strength of schedule—I say that as someone that has almost zero love for Cuse.
Ditto.
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

Syracuse (Top 5)
Boston College (Top 5)
Virginia (Top 20)
Notre Dame (Top 10)
North Carolina (top 5)
Duke (Top 25)
Clemson (Top 30)
Louisville (Top 40)
VT (Top 40)
I wasn’t saying cuse or bc, I was talking more about the “duke, ND, etc” group. Cuse and Carolina play incredibly tough schedules.
OuttaNowhereWregget

btwn30lax wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:25 am

Syracuse (Top 5)
Boston College (Top 5)
Virginia (Top 20)
Notre Dame (Top 10)
North Carolina (top 5)
Duke (Top 25)
Clemson (Top 30)
Louisville (Top 40)
VT (Top 40)
I wasn’t saying cuse or bc, I was talking more about the “duke, ND, etc” group. Cuse and Carolina play incredibly tough schedules.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:07 am Notre Dame’s problem isn’t just the weak schedule. It is that Halfpenny, leaves the stars in to pad their number for awards. Think they had one blowout game where China and Ahern connected on the 20th and last goal. Lots of backups never play in their bad games. Freshmen class last year was almost invisible in games.
:D
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

njbill wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:40 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 pm
Well clearly you are be snarky but I’ll answer your question regardless. And yeah actually North’s shooting numbers annoyed me at times. You can look at my posting history here on this forum and I’ve never pumped up North’s game like others on here have. Sam Apuzzo, in my opinion, is the greatest player in the history of the Eagles’ program.

As far as Humphrey goes, people on here are accusing me of just being a hater or being nervous about the impact she’ll have on UNC’s offense. As I said in my original post, I completely agree that she has a ton of talent and that she’ll likely go on to score a ton of goals throughout her collegiate career. I standby my point that it’s fair to question how efficient she’ll be at the next level. The few examples we have of her playing against tougher competition already show signs of this. I encourage everyone to rewatch her at the all America game. It was the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event. Huh? I wonder how many of these games you've seen other than this year's. I'll bet not many (if any). I have seen the large majority of the UA senior games, either in person or on TV. While it is a great event, bringing together many of the nation's top seniors, it is almost always a free-for-all all star game with offensive players dominating and little defense played. Your statement, to be kind, is absolutely untrue. Yes, she had the ball a lot in the game and did take a lot of shots, but the "single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event"? Hardly. She was slightly more efficient at the fall classic, but she was still under 50% there and further proved her propensity to shoot constantly. "Slightly more efficient"? :lol: Five and one against the defending national champions (with Laliberty in goal the entire game). Pretty darn good performance against top (tough) college competition. I think she proved she belongs.Her turnover numbers are also extremely concerning and were severely underreported at Darien. And how many of her HS games did you see or are you parroting info someone (we can guess who) told you? Having seen a number of her HS games, I can say with certainty that she is not a turnover machine. Far from it. She has an excellent stick, in fact. She played for one of the toughest HS coaches ever. If she had "extremely concerning" turnover numbers, she'd have been benched regardless of her other abilities or at least been given one of LL's infamous sideline "chats." Why don't you post a video of one of her HS games where she had a lot of turnovers. Lots of her games are available online. I'll save you time. You won't be able to find one. Oh, and BTW, one TO against Northwestern.

Additionally, nobody is talking about her fit within the current makeup of UNC’s offense. Wurzburger, Casey, and her sister Ashley Humphrey are all righty attackers who thrive with the ball in their sticks as facilitators. This works in direct contrast of Chloe’s game, as she is is one of the most ball dominant players I’ve ever watched at the high school level. Their offense is completely lacking the cutters/finishers that you need to excel at the highest level with exceptions for maybe Marissa White and a couple of their midfielders. Uh, you do know that Chloe is a cutter/finisher who will fit in just fine with feeders. Yes, it is an open question as to how UNC will work the PT between CW, Casey, and AH, but CH will definitely play. Obviously, I realize that the offense and the team as a whole is still incredibly talented, and they’ll still be among the best teams in the country, but I think they definitely won’t be the scoring machine that they look like on paper, and Chloe will certainly not be this immediate savior that some may be expecting her to be.
I get it that you are a BC fan (parent of a 2024?) and aren't happy that CH is now at UNC as that strengthens a rival program. But your statements go well beyond reasonable opinions and observations and are really more snark than fact.
Well clearly you are massively biased Humphrey fans/supporters who have no ability to understand the nuances of the game. I know it’s been a couple of months since my original posts, but I feel a need to defend myself against these blatant UNC shills.

You’re statement that the all-America game has little defense played just provides more evidence for my statements. Despite the shaky defense, the North still only scored 10 goals in a 60 minute game, and that was largely due to Humphrey’s inefficiency. If it wasn’t the most selfish performance in the history of the event, than you should probably name any other player that has ever held the ball and shot more than she did in the events’ long history. The sad thing is that you simply can’t because it has never happened.

Another laughable take you shilled is that Chloe is a cutter/finisher and that she’ll fit in well in UNC’s offense. I’ve seen plenty of her games, despite your preconceived notions, and I can say confidently that the vast majority of her goals come from isolation dodging. The current construction of their offense is a disaster waiting to happen.

You also tried to dismiss my claims about her turnovers. I couldn’t find any turnover numbers for her high school career, but I did watch many of her games. She turns it over A TON. Maybe you don’t consider shooting the ball 10 feet over the goal and the defense gaining possession a turnover, but I think most reasonable people do. She also is quite overrated on the ride, and is much slower/less agile than most of her competitors. I know she had plenty of caused turnovers in high school, but I doubt it will translate to ACC competition.

And lastly, you tried to make out her game at the fall classic as this amazing “5 and 1” performance, but you provided no context towards her incredible inefficiency. 5 goals on 11 shots is not an impressive performance for what is supposed to be a high level d1 talent. Inside Lacrosse may talk her up obsessively, but that doesn’t make her the talent that some pretend that she is. Moreover, she’s not a great teammate. I can say first hand that she cares far more about her individual numbers than her teams’ success. If that’s the type of player that you like, than best of luck to you, but personally I will pass.
njbill

Post by njbill »

BCLax24 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:03 am
njbill wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:40 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 pm
Well clearly you are be snarky but I’ll answer your question regardless. And yeah actually North’s shooting numbers annoyed me at times. You can look at my posting history here on this forum and I’ve never pumped up North’s game like others on here have. Sam Apuzzo, in my opinion, is the greatest player in the history of the Eagles’ program.

As far as Humphrey goes, people on here are accusing me of just being a hater or being nervous about the impact she’ll have on UNC’s offense. As I said in my original post, I completely agree that she has a ton of talent and that she’ll likely go on to score a ton of goals throughout her collegiate career. I standby my point that it’s fair to question how efficient she’ll be at the next level. The few examples we have of her playing against tougher competition already show signs of this. I encourage everyone to rewatch her at the all America game. It was the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event. Huh? I wonder how many of these games you've seen other than this year's. I'll bet not many (if any). I have seen the large majority of the UA senior games, either in person or on TV. While it is a great event, bringing together many of the nation's top seniors, it is almost always a free-for-all all star game with offensive players dominating and little defense played. Your statement, to be kind, is absolutely untrue. Yes, she had the ball a lot in the game and did take a lot of shots, but the "single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event"? Hardly. She was slightly more efficient at the fall classic, but she was still under 50% there and further proved her propensity to shoot constantly. "Slightly more efficient"? :lol: Five and one against the defending national champions (with Laliberty in goal the entire game). Pretty darn good performance against top (tough) college competition. I think she proved she belongs.Her turnover numbers are also extremely concerning and were severely underreported at Darien. And how many of her HS games did you see or are you parroting info someone (we can guess who) told you? Having seen a number of her HS games, I can say with certainty that she is not a turnover machine. Far from it. She has an excellent stick, in fact. She played for one of the toughest HS coaches ever. If she had "extremely concerning" turnover numbers, she'd have been benched regardless of her other abilities or at least been given one of LL's infamous sideline "chats." Why don't you post a video of one of her HS games where she had a lot of turnovers. Lots of her games are available online. I'll save you time. You won't be able to find one. Oh, and BTW, one TO against Northwestern.

Additionally, nobody is talking about her fit within the current makeup of UNC’s offense. Wurzburger, Casey, and her sister Ashley Humphrey are all righty attackers who thrive with the ball in their sticks as facilitators. This works in direct contrast of Chloe’s game, as she is is one of the most ball dominant players I’ve ever watched at the high school level. Their offense is completely lacking the cutters/finishers that you need to excel at the highest level with exceptions for maybe Marissa White and a couple of their midfielders. Uh, you do know that Chloe is a cutter/finisher who will fit in just fine with feeders. Yes, it is an open question as to how UNC will work the PT between CW, Casey, and AH, but CH will definitely play. Obviously, I realize that the offense and the team as a whole is still incredibly talented, and they’ll still be among the best teams in the country, but I think they definitely won’t be the scoring machine that they look like on paper, and Chloe will certainly not be this immediate savior that some may be expecting her to be.
I get it that you are a BC fan (parent of a 2024?) and aren't happy that CH is now at UNC as that strengthens a rival program. But your statements go well beyond reasonable opinions and observations and are really more snark than fact.
Well clearly you are massively biased Humphrey fans/supporters who have no ability to understand the nuances of the game. I know it’s been a couple of months since my original posts, but I feel a need to defend myself against these blatant UNC shills.

You’re statement that the all-America game has little defense played just provides more evidence for my statements. Despite the shaky defense, the North still only scored 10 goals in a 60 minute game, and that was largely due to Humphrey’s inefficiency. If it wasn’t the most selfish performance in the history of the event, than you should probably name any other player that has ever held the ball and shot more than she did in the events’ long history. The sad thing is that you simply can’t because it has never happened.

Another laughable take you shilled is that Chloe is a cutter/finisher and that she’ll fit in well in UNC’s offense. I’ve seen plenty of her games, despite your preconceived notions, and I can say confidently that the vast majority of her goals come from isolation dodging. The current construction of their offense is a disaster waiting to happen.

You also tried to dismiss my claims about her turnovers. I couldn’t find any turnover numbers for her high school career, but I did watch many of her games. She turns it over A TON. Maybe you don’t consider shooting the ball 10 feet over the goal and the defense gaining possession a turnover, but I think most reasonable people do. She also is quite overrated on the ride, and is much slower/less agile than most of her competitors. I know she had plenty of caused turnovers in high school, but I doubt it will translate to ACC competition.

And lastly, you tried to make out her game at the fall classic as this amazing “5 and 1” performance, but you provided no context towards her incredible inefficiency. 5 goals on 11 shots is not an impressive performance for what is supposed to be a high level d1 talent. Inside Lacrosse may talk her up obsessively, but that doesn’t make her the talent that some pretend that she is. Moreover, she’s not a great teammate. I can say first hand that she cares far more about her individual numbers than her teams’ success. If that’s the type of player that you like, than best of luck to you, but personally I will pass.
We waited a couple of months for that response?

My “bias,” if you want to call it that, is I disagree with what you’ve said about Humphrey, which is off-the-wall wrong and, apparently, driven by bitterness and even hatred. It certainly isn’t based on facts or observation of her play. I take it you are a parent of a BC senior (class of 2024). I have to say, it seems odd to me that you claim Humphrey isn’t a great teammate when on another thread you trash one of your daughter’s own BC teammates. Wow!

In your initial post, you said Humphrey’s performance in the Senior Game was “the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event.” You have no basis to say that having evidently seen only one (or maybe a small handful) of the games. It’s an inane comment, one that is dead wrong of course. And it’s just one of the many cheap shots you’ve leveled against her.

I doubt you have seen “plenty” of Humphrey’s games since you mischaracterize her play in several respects. Yes, she did a lot of ISO dodging in high school, but she’s much more than that. I saw lots of goals where she worked herself open for feeds and scored. It’s simply untrue that she’s only a dodger.

The reason I know you haven’t watched her games is your “turnover” claim. You characterize her as a turnover machine. Nothing could be further from the truth. I scouted her for my local HS team a couple of years ago (we played Darien). Just looked back at my scouting report. Nothing about a proclivity to turn the ball over, which is something I certainly would have noted had I observed it.

In high school she was strong redefender, but sometimes too aggressive. I’ve seen her get more than one yellow on the redefend. How she’ll be as a redefender in college remains to be seen. But “slower/less agile than most of her competitors”? Again, this tells me you really haven’t watched her play.

5 and 1 on 5 for 11 shooting against the NCAA champ with their no. 1 goalie in net by a kid who’s never played a college game yet was not “an impressive performance”? Yeah, OK.

You finish with another cheap shot, this one particularly despicable. You claim to have “first hand” knowledge that she’s “not a great teammate.” First hand knowledge?? Were you her teammate or her coach? No, you weren’t. I don’t claim to have first hand knowledge, but from what I have heard second or third hand, your statement is entirely WRONG.

I have to say, your posts on Humphrey are one thing, but your other post earlier today criticizing your daughter’s BC teammate really casts you in an entirely different light. I’ll just leave it at that. Look forward to your next post in February.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

The two best attackers for unc this year will both be named Humphrey. One is a proven assist savant. The other will show why everyone who has watched her play at DHS over the past 4 years says she is the greatest player ever from Connecticut.
We will see in May whether my prediction stands. Both are in a completely different talent category than Casey or wurzburger…
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:11 pm

I have to say, your posts on Humphrey are one thing, but your other post earlier today criticizing your daughter’s BC teammate really casts you in an entirely different light. I’ll just leave it at that. Look forward to your next post in February.
If I may, the AR comments don’t sound like they come from any of the BC parents I’ve gotten to know.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”