Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:17 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:07 pm So recent commits have slowed down to a crawl. Interesting that according to wlax recruiting numbers, Oct 2023 has similar commits to Oct 22. After the Sept fire sale it seems like it’s back to normal. Still a lot of spots out there for kids thru the fall.
Not unexpected given the 2025 class is the first back to a more normal recruiting cycle. Expected the quick start and expect in the end the totals will be similar to previous years, maybe slightly higher given the full cycle. Not as deep of a class as the 2023s, deeper than the 2024s.
Pretty much. I think next year you see record flips. The upper 30 ranked teams are taking a ton of 25s.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:07 pm So recent commits have slowed down to a crawl. Interesting that according to wlax recruiting numbers, Oct 2023 has similar commits to Oct 22. After the Sept fire sale it seems like it’s back to normal. Still a lot of spots out there for kids thru the fall.
Pretty typical no? At this point, why not wait to see how they do in the November tournaments.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:16 pm
Not unexpected given the 2025 class is the first back to a more normal recruiting cycle. Expected the quick start and expect in the end the totals will be similar to previous years, maybe slightly higher given the full cycle. Not as deep of a class as the 2023s, deeper than the 2024s.
Pretty much. I think next year you see record flips. The upper 30 ranked teams are taking a ton of 25s.
I agree. Coaches are getting more aggressive.

My committed 25 has received many texts from other programs after she committed (top 25 D1 and top 10 D3). My 20 and 23 probably got two between them after they committed.
CrossSTX

Post by CrossSTX »

Are these schools that were in contact with your 2025 prior to her commitment?
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:53 am

My committed 25 has received many texts from other programs after she committed (top 25 D1 and top 10 D3). My 20 and 23 probably got two between them after they committed.
I think it’s too early to draw any conclusions about changes in coach behavior. This is the first recruiting class that really hasn’t been interrupted by Covid in a while. And it could be the coaches feel they are fishing for a smaller pool of talent, so they will make the extra outreach. Have to give this a few years to conclude it’s the new norm.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Yes, a more "normal" recruiting cycle for sure. I can't really agree with the last comment with the 2025s being deeper than the 2024s. This may apply to some clubs or positions, but we won't really know until 2026 or 2027.

After taking an interest in watching goalies very closely (inspired by club teammates that committed), I'd put my money on the 2023 and 2024 classes over the 2025 and 2026 goalies. I don't even think it's close, quite frankly.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 am

I think it’s too early to draw any conclusions about changes in coach behavior. This is the first recruiting class that really hasn’t been interrupted by Covid in a while. And it could be the coaches feel they are fishing for a smaller pool of talent, so they will make the extra outreach. Have to give this a few years to conclude it’s the new norm.
I don’t think it will be about coaches behavior as much as the shift in recruiting. Teams are taking more kids. Which means competing for more playing time. Those kids that are getting recruited to UNC ND Hopkins etc are now getting recruited with 10-12 other kids. In the past it was 6-8. Those are the types of kids that need to play. UNC is a perfect example. They recruited 10 2025s. 8 of them in that nonsense rankings. Those kids want to play. If you believe the hype that 2026 kids are even better, no reason to think UNC won’t recruit in the top tier again. Some of those kids are flipping.
I know some say it will be the school they want to go to, but if UNC was ranked 120, I’m willing to bet 99% of kids that got recruited by UNC would be somewhere else. Just like If Syracuse was ranked 120 AS, Ella and Aubrie would be somewhere else as well
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 pm

I don’t think it will be about coaches behavior as much as the shift in recruiting. Teams are taking more kids. Which means competing for more playing time. Those kids that are getting recruited to UNC ND Hopkins etc are now getting recruited with 10-12 other kids. In the past it was 6-8. Those are the types of kids that need to play. UNC is a perfect example. They recruited 10 2025s. 8 of them in that nonsense rankings. Those kids want to play. If you believe the hype that 2026 kids are even better, no reason to think UNC won’t recruit in the top tier again. Some of those kids are flipping.
I know some say it will be the school they want to go to, but if UNC was ranked 120, I’m willing to bet 99% of kids that got recruited by UNC would be somewhere else. Just like If Syracuse was ranked 120 AS, Ella and Aubrie would be somewhere else as well
I think UNC transfer portal will be very active. Especially for the last 4 or 5 kids taken. Maybe more. Unless they just really love the school and don’t mind not playing. That’s always a possibility too.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

McLax9777 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:42 pm

I think UNC transfer portal will be very active. Especially for the last 4 or 5 kids taken. Maybe more. Unless they just really love the school and don’t mind not playing. That’s always a possibility too.
Sometimes those thought to be "lesser" recruits actually develop into great players, beating out higher ranked players. Some of those kids just want to grind it out and will compete for spots. Coaches recognize those kids and if they improve, they will play. Granted, it's not always a lot of kids, but the trend will match what we see in other sports.

Some highly recruited players will not pan out. It happens every year in every sport.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Sometimes those thought to be "lesser" recruits actually develop into great players, beating out higher ranked players. Some of those kids just want to grind it out and will compete for spots. Coaches recognize those kids and if they improve, they will play. Granted, it's not always a lot of kids, but the trend will match what we see in other sports.

Some highly recruited players will not pan out. It happens every year in every sport.
You are correct. 24’s and 26’s recruiting will be doing the same. 23 and 24 recruiting class was very solid with only so many spots on field. Doesn’t leave a lot of room for the 25’s.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Yes. All true. But it doesn’t matter if a lesser player pans out and a top doesn’t or Vice versa. My point being that a lot of these schools have taken soooooo many recruits this year. They can do the math and many kids are gonna wanna play and see they need to go somewhere else to do that. That’s why I think the flipping and not the portal will be used next year when they are grabbing 10 2026 kids. The writing is on the wall for these top programs. They are gonna recruit the best possible kids and see who pans out. Seems like all these teams are gonna carry 40+.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Club season really kicks off this week. It will be interesting to see if the coaches are around like hawks and vultures. I don’t think they will. I think the flips happen early next year and it will be the kids and club coaches initiating it. Could be wrong. My kid flips I’ll kill her. 😁
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:45 pm Club season really kicks off this week. It will be interesting to see if the coaches are around like hawks and vultures. I don’t think they will. I think the flips happen early next year and it will be the kids and club coaches initiating it. Could be wrong. My kid flips I’ll kill her. 😁
I’d be hard pressed to believe “flipping” happens in masses. If club coaches encourage this I would imagine their reputations will take a hit, which could impact their business. I don’t see this happening.

If coaches take on flips wouldn’t this likely mean someone has to be dropped to make room in the class. If a coach gets this reputation why would any future recruit trust their spot would be secure. And who would want to play for a coach that would drop a player so late, giving them little to no time to commit to another school. I don’t see this happening.

On the flip side if coaches get wind players may flip their offers could be pulled. I am aware of a ‘24 who had her offer rescinded, not for discussing a flip, but for making comments the coach didn't like. Point being, any discussion of flipping by a player may get that player pulled.

If kids are already contemplating a flip they are probably starting an endless cycle of disappointment. Players will be recruited over every year. Many players get little to no playing time. Upwards of half may stop playing all together for various reasons. Not a great start to even think about flipping at this point. Again, I just don’t see it happening in masses.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

CrossSTX wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:06 am Are these schools that were in contact with your 2025 prior to her commitment?
1 was a school that offered and we turned down. 2 were one which reached out and had one call but no visit. The 4th is a perennial top 15 team who hasn't reached out at all until 2 weeks ago.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:45 pm Club season really kicks off this week. It will be interesting to see if the coaches are around like hawks and vultures. I don’t think they will. I think the flips happen early next year and it will be the kids and club coaches initiating it. Could be wrong. My kid flips I’ll kill her. 😁
X factor this year is FSU is about to name a coach. Assume she takes a good chunk of her recruiting class with her, then you will have some dominos.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:12 am
CrossSTX wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:06 am Are these schools that were in contact with your 2025 prior to her commitment?
1 was a school that offered and we turned down. 2 were one which reached out and had one call but no visit. The 4th is a perennial top 15 team who hasn't reached out at all until 2 weeks ago.
It is ridiculous. And the sports recruit pages. Constant hits from schools that know she is committed but keep hitting it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
jff97

Post by jff97 »

MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

jff97 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:41 pm Anyone have thoughts on this?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ent/62204
Yes, many. The switch to making the rising seniors their own category really isn't viable. It worked out well when you had the rising jr and sr classes together for one tourney class.

So why doesn't it work?

There are a lot of girls that just don't want to play in another summer event after they are committed. For some, it feels like a money grab or they'd rather just enjoy their time off. Burn out, summer vacations, wanting to hang out with friends, etc.

I think going to the a "selected group" is an attempt to bring back some prestige to the event, with much of the East Coast believing CSE has operated All America games in a manner that allows club coaches to fully exploit the rosters as long as they are on the coaching staff, or in good with Booker and the boys.

Some areas could barely field a team for the Highlight division, with some players that really shouldn't have made the rosters making the team (but many just not playing as much). This allowed for some club coaches to stack a few more players into other regions, and it wasn't helped by some subpar coaching on the field(s).

In short, there will be invites sent, but I don't think you'll see anything better than the most recent product, as a lot of kids won't want to play regardless of this being an "invite only" division.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Seems like it's just making it that much easier for the coaches in each region to pad the Highlight team with players from their clubs.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

cltlax wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:34 pm
Seems like it's just making it that much easier for the coaches in each region to pad the Highlight team with players from their clubs.

If I read it correctly a certain number is picked ( invited ) by IL the rest by the region coach. I don’t really understand how this trumps a tryout other than for social media bragging. I would think the same kids will be on the same rosters as always. NB is going to slowly ruin this tournament, let’s see how long it is before they have multiple teams like AS. Would also be great if the coaches chosen for any of these divisions, boys or girls, didn’t have a kid on the same team.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”