All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:47 am The whole paragraph I quoted didn't sound as if it's cut and dry, just get the vaccination to me.
It wasn’t cut and dry. I was just wondering if you thought vaccines didn’t help the elderly and then what the additional risks were that you noted. Some people have valid medical reasons/concerns for not taking the vaccine…. Some have invalid reasons….unless you believe all reasons are valid.

You have said in the past that your immune system hasn’t failed you in the past and you trust it. My take from the article is that an immune system in your 60’s-70’s isn’t your immune system in the 30’s and 40’s and it may need additional help. You have “faith” or would rather take your chances. It’s a personal choice. Works out for some, didn’t work out for others.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

My take is it might be a little too much for that old immune system to take.
It's all good, brotha, I'm done here.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:03 pm My take is it might be a little too much for that old immune system to take.
Print the article in question, and email it to your doctor, my man. Questions are good!
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:03 pm My take is it might be a little too much for that old immune system to take.
You might be right but what is it based on?
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:35 pm
Print the article in question, and email it to your doctor, my man. Questions are good!
You'll get different answers from different doctors with that too....and I trust doctors for the most part (not so much with over prescribing of drugs though, I'd probably be on six different scripts if were up to them...Xanax for sure. I take none).
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:54 pm
Same answer, my experience with flu shots.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:54 pm
Same answer, my experience with flu shots.
So it has nothing to do with the article you read? I was just asking about the implication of the article that was referenced. Not rehashing old arguments.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

The article made me feel as if my thinking isn't all wrong (for me), didn't really change much of anything.
The majority of the crew here buys none of that, it's the way they see it or you're a nut.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:17 pm The article made me feel as if my thinking isn't all wrong (for me), didn't really change much of anything.
The majority of the crew here buys none of that, it's the way they see it or you're a nut.
I was just wondering what the data was that had you concerned. You posed the question….
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:06 am
DMac wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:26 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:00 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:50 am
But I do think it’s going to be a while before this virus becomes completely normal. And I’ve never been convinced that this current generation of elderly people will ever get to a place where it is completely normal. If you’re 65 or 75 or even older — it’s really hard to teach an immune system new tricks if you’re that age. And so while we may see excess mortality in the elderly decline somewhat, I don’t think we’ll see it ever disappear for this generation who was already old when the pandemic hit. Many will never develop that robust, long-term immunological memory we would want to see — and which happens naturally to someone who’s been exposed hundreds of times since they were a little baby.
Someone tell me how I'm wrong in interpreting this as it not being a clear cut good idea for that age group to be introducing the vaccine to their immune system.
Because the older population cannot experience a lifetime of adaptation to the virus it means to get that immunity the only sensible way is to actually get vaccinated.

Because the vaccine infers immunity without experiencing the disease, as long as the benefits outweigh the risks (true for most everyone regardless of age) it actually makes sense to get the vaccine unless it is of high risk for a particular person.
Appreciate your input, Red. I wasn't convinced the benefits (brand new untested vaccine with no history to evaluate) outweighed the risk FOR ME. I saw myself as that particular person of high risk.
Dmac, I said on a different thread that, as Red alludes to, I’m in the same kind of boat as you. 67 yrs old, have always done my shots and updates. Got the shingrix vaccine when it first came out, flu shots every year. Had four Moderna COVID shots before last summer with no side effects and got a very mild case of COVID last summer. Fever and head congestion for two days, its mildness I attribute to the shots. Thanks modern medicine!

But then the fall I got a Pfizer booster and ten days later I got double vision, which I’d never in my life had before. My ophthalmologist wouldn’t 100% agree that it was a vaccine side effect but I found a Croatian study that has evidence of eye nerve palsy in the same way COVID and COVID vaccines have taste and smell side effects. So I’ve got my annual physical next week. I’ll definitely get a flu shot, but I’m still on the fence about the new COVID booster. Frankly im very concerned. Absolutely not getting it if my Dr only has Pfizer available and we’ll have a long talk if he has Moderna.
To conclude this, given my age, health (thankfully very good), experience after my Pfizer booster, and Paxlovid availability, my doctor said he’d pass on another booster, so that’s what I’m doing. He made me promise I’d immediately test (within 1.5 days of occurance) if I have a high grade fever so I can start a Paxlovid treatment if necessary.

To assure me that COVID is still deathly serious, he shared that his family is completely updated with shots and all four of them have had minor COVID illnesses until September when his completely healthy 20 yo son got it so bad he ended up overnight in the hospital to kick-start pneumonia treatment. The son is now recovered but missed two weeks of college.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The US is going through another outbreak of COVID, the latest variant. Hospitalization rates are up significantly. Test results for the US as a whole are coming back at a rate of ~14.5%. Once again red states are leading the way in case and hospitalization rates.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:56 pm The US is going through another outbreak of COVID, the latest variant. Hospitalization rates are up significantly. Test results for the US as a whole are coming back at a rate of ~14.5%. Once again red states are leading the way in case and hospitalization rates.
I had it less than 2 months ago, so am holding off for a few more months but rest of the family is getting booster for new variant.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

We are approaching the end of October, and at least 10 million Americans have gotten the Fall 2023 Covid-19 vaccine. This amounts to ~3% of the eligible population (only 7% of nursing home residents). This is severely trailing typical flu vaccine coverage, just like last fall.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... dium=email
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

CU88a wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:31 am We are approaching the end of October, and at least 10 million Americans have gotten the Fall 2023 Covid-19 vaccine. This amounts to ~3% of the eligible population (only 7% of nursing home residents). This is severely trailing typical flu vaccine coverage, just like last fall.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... dium=email
I got (about 2wks ago) four vaccinations - new COVID, flu, pneumococcal, and RSV. Only side effect was soreness in the arm that got the first one of those.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Oops…..Should not have taken that high dose flu vaccine. Thanks for the heads ups…..
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“. However, experts urge that these results were preliminary.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Oops.

COVID-19 Is an Independent Risk Factor for Acute Ischemic Stroke

After we adjusted for age, sex, and major vascular risk factors, COVID-19 infection was found to be independently and significantly associated with patients with acute ischemic stroke compared with control subjects
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:09 pm Oops.

COVID-19 Is an Independent Risk Factor for Acute Ischemic Stroke

After we adjusted for age, sex, and major vascular risk factors, COVID-19 infection was found to be independently and significantly associated with patients with acute ischemic stroke compared with control subjects
Oops
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am I missing it or is there nothing in there that compares the frequency of cases of vaccinated to non vaccinated?

Return to “POLITICS”