D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: Fall Lacrosse Schedules

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:42 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:38 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:29 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:07 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:49 am BC fans have been led down the garden path themselves recently with a very highly touted recruit who hasn't done anything on the field worthy of note so far. Happened previously with Wurzburger as has been previously mentioned, as well. 13/15 didn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype. Happens in college sports all the time where the top rated prospect doesn't amount to much more than a marginal player at the next level. I'm not predicting it will happen with Humphery, just allowing for the possibility.

As for the degree of difficulty between BC and NC--I think that's been there and I think it's also there for the foreseeable future. BC has given just as good as they've gotten from the Tar Heels. Nobody in the powder blue crew locker room or coaching staff is looking past BC--with or without the next superstar.
There's a bit of a difference in the CW was putting up her insane numbers down in Florida against below average competition for the most part. McD went down there to play American Heritage and completely shut her down. Also, when she played on Yellow Jackets everyone knew she was probably only the 3rd best player on that team. CH has played much tougher competition in high school and has starred in national events since she was in middle school. First time I saw her was as a rising ninth grader playing in the younger division of UA Underclass. She dominated that event even though she was playing against mostly 2022s. CONNY's first game was against the Baltimore team(who ended up winning the event) and I think she had 7G and 5A. I don't recall CW ever doing that for Florida.

There has been a big push to grow the game and having a "superstar" from Florida was an angle US Lax and IL were happy to run with. Look what IL did with Jaylen Rosga last year prior to her attending MD just because she was from MN. They had a new video journal by her and an IG takeover by her every few weeks for almost a year. She only played in 6 games last year, all MD blowout wins. In the end I'm not sure it's fair to the player as it sets unrealistic expectations in many cases. CW has had a very successful career so far. She was a starter on a national championship winning squad, scoring 3 goals over championship weekend. She's a two time all-american. She's played on Team USA at numerous events and done well. No, she hasn't been this transcendent talent she was touted as, but by most metrics she has been quite successful. If she hadn't been touted like she was, no one would be saying she "hasn't done anything on the field worthy of note so far".
Just to be clear--the quote is in reference to the garden path BC player currently in her junior year--not CW. Agree with your assessment of #15.

Great behind the scenes info on the MD player. You could be a journalist (if you aren't already.)
The quote was in reference to EH, but you followed it up with "Happened previously with Wurzburger"

Not sure why EH was every hyped like she was. Seemed kind of strange to elevate someone to the #1 recruit who didn't play lacrosse her last 2 years of high school(by no fault of her own). But, it's not like she was ranked as the #1 recruit earlier in her HS career. Don't get me wrong, she's a good player but everyone at BC is a good player. She also played on a club team that didn't play in a lot of the major events at the time. I think Mass Elite only played in one tournament a summer, G8, where they competed against M&D, YJ, Skywalkers, Heros, etc. Not sure if that's changed but that's how it was for the 2021 class. Again, if you aren't playing against top competition week in and week out it's hard to get a gauge on how the player's game will translate to the next level. It's hard enough to do so when they are playing top competition.
Not EH. MH. And you're right--my wording is misleading. From what I've seen, CW has accomplished far more than either and both H's.
Ha. Yes, MH. EH is their aunt. My post was about MH, the current junior.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:49 am BC fans have been led down the garden path themselves recently with a very highly touted recruit who hasn't done anything on the field worthy of note so far. Happened previously with Wurzburger as has been previously mentioned, as well. 13/15 didn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype. Happens in college sports all the time where the top rated prospect doesn't amount to much more than a marginal player at the next level. I'm not predicting it will happen with Humphery, just allowing for the possibility.

As for the degree of difficulty between BC and NC--I think that's been there and I think it's also there for the foreseeable future. BC has given just as good as they've gotten from the Tar Heels. Nobody in the powder blue crew locker room or coaching staff is looking past BC--with or without the next superstar.
There's a bit of a difference in the CW was putting up her insane numbers down in Florida against below average competition for the most part. McD went down there to play American Heritage and completely shut her down. Also, when she played on Yellow Jackets everyone knew she was probably only the 3rd best player on that team. CH has played much tougher competition in high school and has starred in national events since she was in middle school. First time I saw her was as a rising ninth grader playing in the younger division of UA Underclass. She dominated that event even though she was playing against mostly 2022s. CONNY's first game was against the Baltimore team(who ended up winning the event) and I think she had 7G and 5A. I don't recall CW ever doing that for Florida.

There has been a big push to grow the game and having a "superstar" from Florida was an angle US Lax and IL were happy to run with. Look what IL did with Jaylen Rosga last year prior to her attending MD just because she was from MN. They had a new video journal by her and an IG takeover by her every few weeks for almost a year. She only played in 6 games last year, all MD blowout wins. In the end I'm not sure it's fair to the player as it sets unrealistic expectations in many cases. CW has had a very successful career so far. She was a starter on a national championship winning squad, scoring 3 goals over championship weekend. She's a two time all-american. She's played on Team USA at numerous events and done well. No, she hasn't been this transcendent talent she was touted as, but by most metrics she has been quite successful. If she hadn't been touted like she was, no one would be saying she "hasn't done anything on the field worthy of note so far".
Just to be clear--the quote is in reference to the garden path BC player currently in her junior year--not CW. Agree with your assessment of #15.

Great behind the scenes info on the MD player. You could be a journalist (if you aren't already.)
Not saying she would’ve put up big numbers or been spectacular but to Rosga’s defense she was injured and could not play most of the season.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

edited
Last edited by timber18888 on Fri May 31, 2024 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

timber18888 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:02 pm I agree with the general consensus about Humphrey—she showed great potential at the Northwestern game but it is way too early to be saying she'll win the Tewarraton or that she'll be the best player in the world after a few years like some are predicting.

Also worth noting that CH was being coached by KAH at that game, and KAH will probably use her knowledge of CH against UNC when they play this season.
Love this post--especially the last paragraph.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Excellent post. I agree with everything you said.

I will just add as to CW that she had an excellent U19 tournament where she was one of the younger players on the team which included Izzy Scane, Kasey Choma, Maddie Jenner, and other older kids many of whom have had very good college careers. To my eyes, CW was a stronger and more effective player than Belle Smith on the U19 team. That’s not to criticize Smith. I think she is a marvelous player who is having a fabulous career at Boston College and has probably become a stronger college player than CW.
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:20 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:03 pm Chloe Humphrey absolutely destroyed defending national champs NW in the exhibition game for team USA. She had 6 points. 5 goals and an assist and nearly snapped a defender's ankle clean on one of her goals. She's been on a college campus for 2 months.. I've been saying this girl is a generation talent. Good luck to the rest of college lacrosse.

5 goals on 11 shots. That’s the thing with Humphrey, she’ll score a lot, but she’ll shoot a TON. I remember at the girls all-America game the ball was in her stick for what felt like half of the game. The headlines said she was great and that she’d scored a hat trick, but they left out the part where she must’ve shot it at least a dozen times. There were so many extremely talented players on that North team that got hardly any opportunities to contribute offensively, because Humphrey turned what is supposed to be a showcase for all 44 of the best girls lacrosse players into the Chloe Humphrey show. They also lost the game in large part to her offensive inefficiency.

Not saying that she’s not a great talent, she definitely is, and I’m sure she’ll score a ton of goals and garner all sorts of awards and recognition. However, based on what I’ve seen of her game, the offense tends to revolve around her at her teammates’ expense.
Hmm. Sounds like you’re describing Charlotte North. You’re a BC person, did you have a problem with her shooting as much. Not being snarky either. It doesn’t sound like you are describing CN to a tee.

Well clearly you are be snarky but I’ll answer your question regardless. And yeah actually North’s shooting numbers annoyed me at times. You can look at my posting history here on this forum and I’ve never pumped up North’s game like others on here have. Sam Apuzzo, in my opinion, is the greatest player in the history of the Eagles’ program.

As far as Humphrey goes, people on here are accusing me of just being a hater or being nervous about the impact she’ll have on UNC’s offense. As I said in my original post, I completely agree that she has a ton of talent and that she’ll likely go on to score a ton of goals throughout her collegiate career. I standby my point that it’s fair to question how efficient she’ll be at the next level. The few examples we have of her playing against tougher competition already show signs of this. I encourage everyone to rewatch her at the all America game. It was the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event. She was slightly more efficient at the fall classic, but she was still under 50% there and further proved her propensity to shoot constantly. Her turnover numbers are also extremely concerning and were severely underreported at Darien.

Additionally, nobody is talking about her fit within the current makeup of UNC’s offense. Wurzburger, Casey, and her sister Ashley Humphrey are all righty attackers who thrive with the ball in their sticks as facilitators. This works in direct contrast of Chloe’s game, as she is is one of the most ball dominant players I’ve ever watched at the high school level. Their offense is completely lacking the cutters/finishers that you need to excel at the highest level with exceptions for maybe Marissa White and a couple of their midfielders. Obviously, I realize that the offense and the team as a whole is still incredibly talented, and they’ll still be among the best teams in the country, but I think they definitely won’t be the scoring machine that they look like on paper, and Chloe will certainly not be this immediate savior that some may be expecting her to be.
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCLax24 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:03 pm Chloe Humphrey absolutely destroyed defending national champs NW in the exhibition game for team USA. She had 6 points. 5 goals and an assist and nearly snapped a defender's ankle clean on one of her goals. She's been on a college campus for 2 months.. I've been saying this girl is a generation talent. Good luck to the rest of college lacrosse.

5 goals on 11 shots. That’s the thing with Humphrey, she’ll score a lot, but she’ll shoot a TON. I remember at the girls all-America game the ball was in her stick for what felt like half of the game. The headlines said she was great and that she’d scored a hat trick, but they left out the part where she must’ve shot it at least a dozen times. There were so many extremely talented players on that North team that got hardly any opportunities to contribute offensively, because Humphrey turned what is supposed to be a showcase for all 44 of the best girls lacrosse players into the Chloe Humphrey show. They also lost the game in large part to her offensive inefficiency.

Not saying that she’s not a great talent, she definitely is, and I’m sure she’ll score a ton of goals and garner all sorts of awards and recognition. However, based on what I’ve seen of her game, the offense tends to revolve around her at her teammates’ expense.
Hmm. Sounds like you’re describing Charlotte North. You’re a BC person, did you have a problem with her shooting as much. Not being snarky either. It doesn’t sound like you are describing CN to a tee.

Well clearly you are be snarky but I’ll answer your question regardless. And yeah actually North’s shooting numbers annoyed me at times. You can look at my posting history here on this forum and I’ve never pumped up North’s game like others on here have. Sam Apuzzo, in my opinion, is the greatest player in the history of the Eagles’ program.

As far as Humphrey goes, people on here are accusing me of just being a hater or being nervous about the impact she’ll have on UNC’s offense. As I said in my original post, I completely agree that she has a ton of talent and that she’ll likely go on to score a ton of goals throughout her collegiate career. I standby my point that it’s fair to question how efficient she’ll be at the next level. The few examples we have of her playing against tougher competition already show signs of this. I encourage everyone to rewatch her at the all America game. It was the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event. She was slightly more efficient at the fall classic, but she was still under 50% there and further proved her propensity to shoot constantly. Her turnover numbers are also extremely concerning and were severely underreported at Darien.

Additionally, nobody is talking about her fit within the current makeup of UNC’s offense. Wurzburger, Casey, and her sister Ashley Humphrey are all righty attackers who thrive with the ball in their sticks as facilitators. This works in direct contrast of Chloe’s game, as she is is one of the most ball dominant players I’ve ever watched at the high school level. Their offense is completely lacking the cutters/finishers that you need to excel at the highest level with exceptions for maybe Marissa White and a couple of their midfielders. Obviously, I realize that the offense and the team as a whole is still incredibly talented, and they’ll still be among the best teams in the country, but I think they definitely won’t be the scoring machine that they look like on paper, and Chloe will certainly not be this immediate savior that some may be expecting her to be.
That's a standing ovation post, right there. Excellently well said, BCLax.

GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Feeling it, BCLax24!

Saw CH play live again this weekend (3rd time, maybe). Impressive, for sure. She will present game planning challenges—both playing with and against her. Hype and pressure continue piling on this young woman. I hope she keeps having fun (not too much in the ACC, though).

One detail you all know but bears repeating when evaluating performances at the Fall Classic--the games were 10 v 10 international rules.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:00 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:42 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:38 am

The quote was in reference to EH, but you followed it up with "Happened previously with Wurzburger"

Not sure why EH was every hyped like she was. Seemed kind of strange to elevate someone to the #1 recruit who didn't play lacrosse her last 2 years of high school(by no fault of her own). But, it's not like she was ranked as the #1 recruit earlier in her HS career. Don't get me wrong, she's a good player but everyone at BC is a good player. She also played on a club team that didn't play in a lot of the major events at the time. I think Mass Elite only played in one tournament a summer, G8, where they competed against M&D, YJ, Skywalkers, Heros, etc. Not sure if that's changed but that's how it was for the 2021 class. Again, if you aren't playing against top competition week in and week out it's hard to get a gauge on how the player's game will translate to the next level. It's hard enough to do so when they are playing top competition.
Not EH. MH. And you're right--my wording is misleading. From what I've seen, CW has accomplished far more than either and both H's.
Ha. Yes, MH. EH is their aunt. My post was about MH, the current junior.
She was #1 because of her last name. Same as this year’s #1. Both are very good players. But they are at the top because of the name.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

“She was #1 because of her last name. Same as this year’s #1. Both are very good players. But they are at the top because of the name.“

Name recognition is key.
njbill

Post by njbill »

As far as Humphrey goes, people on here are accusing me of just being a hater or being nervous about the impact she’ll have on UNC’s offense. As I said in my original post, I completely agree that she has a ton of talent and that she’ll likely go on to score a ton of goals throughout her collegiate career. I standby my point that it’s fair to question how efficient she’ll be at the next level. The few examples we have of her playing against tougher competition already show signs of this. I encourage everyone to rewatch her at the all America game. It was the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event. Huh? I wonder how many of these games you've seen other than this year's. I'll bet not many (if any). I have seen the large majority of the UA senior games, either in person or on TV. While it is a great event, bringing together many of the nation's top seniors, it is almost always a free-for-all all star game with offensive players dominating and little defense played. Your statement, to be kind, is absolutely untrue. Yes, she had the ball a lot in the game and did take a lot of shots, but the "single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event"? Hardly. She was slightly more efficient at the fall classic, but she was still under 50% there and further proved her propensity to shoot constantly. "Slightly more efficient"? :lol: Five and one against the defending national champions (with Laliberty in goal the entire game). Pretty darn good performance against top (tough) college competition. I think she proved she belongs.Her turnover numbers are also extremely concerning and were severely underreported at Darien. And how many of her HS games did you see or are you parroting info someone (we can guess who) told you? Having seen a number of her HS games, I can say with certainty that she is not a turnover machine. Far from it. She has an excellent stick, in fact. She played for one of the toughest HS coaches ever. If she had "extremely concerning" turnover numbers, she'd have been benched regardless of her other abilities or at least been given one of LL's infamous sideline "chats." Why don't you post a video of one of her HS games where she had a lot of turnovers. Lots of her games are available online. I'll save you time. You won't be able to find one. Oh, and BTW, one TO against Northwestern.

Additionally, nobody is talking about her fit within the current makeup of UNC’s offense. Wurzburger, Casey, and her sister Ashley Humphrey are all righty attackers who thrive with the ball in their sticks as facilitators. This works in direct contrast of Chloe’s game, as she is is one of the most ball dominant players I’ve ever watched at the high school level. Their offense is completely lacking the cutters/finishers that you need to excel at the highest level with exceptions for maybe Marissa White and a couple of their midfielders. Uh, you do know that Chloe is a cutter/finisher who will fit in just fine with feeders. Yes, it is an open question as to how UNC will work the PT between CW, Casey, and AH, but CH will definitely play. Obviously, I realize that the offense and the team as a whole is still incredibly talented, and they’ll still be among the best teams in the country, but I think they definitely won’t be the scoring machine that they look like on paper, and Chloe will certainly not be this immediate savior that some may be expecting her to be.
I get it that you are a BC fan (parent of a 2024?) and aren't happy that CH is now at UNC as that strengthens a rival program. But your statements go well beyond reasonable opinions and observations and are really more snark than fact.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

njbill wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:40 pm

As far as Humphrey goes, people on here are accusing me of just being a hater or being nervous about the impact she’ll have on UNC’s offense. As I said in my original post, I completely agree that she has a ton of talent and that she’ll likely go on to score a ton of goals throughout her collegiate career. I standby my point that it’s fair to question how efficient she’ll be at the next level. The few examples we have of her playing against tougher competition already show signs of this. I encourage everyone to rewatch her at the all America game. It was the single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event. Huh? I wonder how many of these games you've seen other than this year's. I'll bet not many (if any). I have seen the large majority of the UA senior games, either in person or on TV. While it is a great event, bringing together many of the nation's top seniors, it is almost always a free-for-all all star game with offensive players dominating and little defense played. Your statement, to be kind, is absolutely untrue. Yes, she had the ball a lot in the game and did take a lot of shots, but the "single worst and most selfish performance in the history of the event"? Hardly. She was slightly more efficient at the fall classic, but she was still under 50% there and further proved her propensity to shoot constantly. "Slightly more efficient"? :lol: Five and one against the defending national champions (with Laliberty in goal the entire game). Pretty darn good performance against top (tough) college competition. I think she proved she belongs.Her turnover numbers are also extremely concerning and were severely underreported at Darien. And how many of her HS games did you see or are you parroting info someone (we can guess who) told you? Having seen a number of her HS games, I can say with certainty that she is not a turnover machine. Far from it. She has an excellent stick, in fact. She played for one of the toughest HS coaches ever. If she had "extremely concerning" turnover numbers, she'd have been benched regardless of her other abilities or at least been given one of LL's infamous sideline "chats." Why don't you post a video of one of her HS games where she had a lot of turnovers. Lots of her games are available online. I'll save you time. You won't be able to find one. Oh, and BTW, one TO against Northwestern.

Additionally, nobody is talking about her fit within the current makeup of UNC’s offense. Wurzburger, Casey, and her sister Ashley Humphrey are all righty attackers who thrive with the ball in their sticks as facilitators. This works in direct contrast of Chloe’s game, as she is is one of the most ball dominant players I’ve ever watched at the high school level. Their offense is completely lacking the cutters/finishers that you need to excel at the highest level with exceptions for maybe Marissa White and a couple of their midfielders. Uh, you do know that Chloe is a cutter/finisher who will fit in just fine with feeders. Yes, it is an open question as to how UNC will work the PT between CW, Casey, and AH, but CH will definitely play. Obviously, I realize that the offense and the team as a whole is still incredibly talented, and they’ll still be among the best teams in the country, but I think they definitely won’t be the scoring machine that they look like on paper, and Chloe will certainly not be this immediate savior that some may be expecting her to be.
I get it that you are a BC fan (parent of a 2024?) and aren't happy that CH is now at UNC as that strengthens a rival program. But your statements go well beyond reasonable opinions and observations and are really more snark than fact.
+1
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

Any spring schedules out yet?
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxguy95 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:36 pm Any spring schedules out yet?
A few: Wagner, Iona, Liberty, UConn...
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Clemson:
2/10: Davidson
2/14: @ Furman
2/17: Coastal Carolina
2/24: @ Duke
3/2: UVA
3/5: @ Mercer
3/9: UNC
3/11: @ Wofford
3/17: @ Louisville
3/22: Notre Dame
3/24: Queens
3/30: VA Tech
4/2: @ East Carolina
4/7: @ BC
4/13: Syracuse
4/18: @ Pitt
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:00 am Clemson:
Clemson going to give Duke a run for their money with "toughest" out of conference schedule.
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52 am
Clemson going to give Duke a run for their money with "toughest" out of conference schedule.
Clemson's OOC comparison

'24 - Davidson, Coastal Carolina, Mercer, Queens, East Carolina, Furman, Wofford

'23 - Winthrop, Gardner-Webb, Longwood, Campbell, Radford, Furman, Wofford

What says the panel--easier, tougher or about the same as last year?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:25 am
Clemson's OOC comparison

'24 - Davidson, Coastal Carolina, Mercer, Queens, East Carolina, Furman, Wofford

I say slightly tougher but still weak. Coastal , Queens and especially Mercer is a step up. ECU undetermined with new coach. Libertys out of conference schedule is top shelf.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:30 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:25 am
Clemson's OOC comparison

I say slightly tougher but still weak. Coastal , Queens and especially Mercer is a step up. ECU undetermined with new coach. Libertys out of conference schedule is top shelf.
Agreed, a bit tougher, but I see the only pick 'em game is Mercer (and I'm not even sure Mercer is gaining/lost in terms of roster). Don't think they'll have any trouble with anyone else

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”