Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:57 pm

Earlier today I watched a news segment on WGN-TV: evidently, the city of Chicago is limiting access to a community service in a ghetto so that immigrants can be accommodated and neighbors are complaining that this is an imposition on them. The community service is mostly used by seniors and by children who do not have access to any other resource. A pal of mine called me yesterday from Brooklyn and told me there was a similar complaint from local residents. So the question is, how does all this benefit ghetto folks whose wages will now be lowered due to all the new cheap labor and whose services will be redirected for the benefit of others? Best to send those folks to the suburbs where there are more resources and far less of a burden to the urban poor.

WGN finally updated its site and put in the report from its news service:

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/wes ... dsen-park/

Residents on the West Side are fighting to return programs to Amundsen Park after the city changed course on plans to use the field house to house migrants.

Galewood residents say they worry that cuts to the park hours and programs are precursors to the city converting the park into a migrant shelter.

The city moved programs in order to convert the fieldhouse into a shelter, but even though that plan has been put on hold, residents say those programs have not returned.

Restraining order filed against Chicago to block Amundsen Park Fieldhouse migrant shelter

The doors at Amundsen Fieldhouse are locked at 6 p.m. each weekday so for the Windy City Dolphins Football and Cheerleaders, the park facilities are closed.

“We practice tomorrow, I have 155 kids and parents. We have over 200 people there. How are they going to use two porta potties? That is horrible, that is disgusting,” Dolphins founder Gerald Harris said.

According to Harris, the city’s plans to turn the fieldhouse into a migrant shelter were put on hold, but the facilities were not reopened.

“They have shut down the park. What they did, they told us one day, ‘It’s on hold.’ The next day, they’re moving everything out. Since then, they’re putting portapotties out here,” Harris said.

The Amundsen Park Advisory Council gathered Monday to demand the return of staff and programs to the park.

“Bring our programs back, in good faith. Bring our programs back to our park while this is on hold,” Donald Glover, the Amundsen Park Advisory Council President said.

Mayor Johnson reverses course on plans for southern border trip
To accommodate the shelter, senior programs were moved a mile and a half away, leaving some residents unable to participate, despite the fact that the plans have been put on hold.

“I was told to either go to one of those parks or stay at home,” West Side resident Johnnie Arps said.

Residents filed an an emergency Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to block the city from going back on their word and moving migrants into the Fieldhouse. They say they are hopeful a judge will sign off on that order and the city will restore their park.

The first court hearing on the request is set to take place on Tuesday morning at 9:30 a.m.

Again, why put the immigrants into the urban ghetto where resources are so limited? Why not send them into the suburbs where there are far more resources and much more space? City folks have paid for these services and are entitled to them. No one should be allowed to enter and usurp services and resources that they have never paid for. For the future, the government needs to be more thoughtful about those urban unfortunates who have so little to begin with and to stop taking away what little they have. Hopefully, all this will be settled soon.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:56 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:10 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:25 pm A bit concerning when you see this slide and the numbers reported by CBP: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyPREk2N ... BiNWFlZA==

Maybe that national emergency announcement that went out to our cell phones last week was a little ‘tell’ by FEMA.
I complained about this post 9/11.

That was our chance to fix immigration, spend money on software and hardware, update all systems , and get visas in order. Americans would have been on board with any tactics and strategies Bush chose.

Instead? He did nothing. Told us to go shopping, and pointlessly invaded Iraq.

They don’t care, YA. Full stop
HR2 would require E-verify phase in.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/59151
Yes, but as we discussed, this is a fake bill-------with poison pills in it to ensure the Dems won't sign.

I'm for MANY of the pieces of that bill that I've read. But it's not an honest bill. If it was? It would have been passed at any point during the four years that Trump was in charge, without the poison pill parts.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:16 am
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:57 pm

Earlier today I watched a news segment on WGN-TV: evidently, the city of Chicago is limiting access to a community service in a ghetto so that immigrants can be accommodated and neighbors are complaining that this is an imposition on them. The community service is mostly used by seniors and by children who do not have access to any other resource. A pal of mine called me yesterday from Brooklyn and told me there was a similar complaint from local residents. So the question is, how does all this benefit ghetto folks whose wages will now be lowered due to all the new cheap labor and whose services will be redirected for the benefit of others? Best to send those folks to the suburbs where there are more resources and far less of a burden to the urban poor.

WGN finally updated its site and put in the report from its news service:

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/wes ... dsen-park/

Residents on the West Side are fighting to return programs to Amundsen Park after the city changed course on plans to use the field house to house migrants.

Galewood residents say they worry that cuts to the park hours and programs are precursors to the city converting the park into a migrant shelter.

The city moved programs in order to convert the fieldhouse into a shelter, but even though that plan has been put on hold, residents say those programs have not returned.

Restraining order filed against Chicago to block Amundsen Park Fieldhouse migrant shelter

The doors at Amundsen Fieldhouse are locked at 6 p.m. each weekday so for the Windy City Dolphins Football and Cheerleaders, the park facilities are closed.

“We practice tomorrow, I have 155 kids and parents. We have over 200 people there. How are they going to use two porta potties? That is horrible, that is disgusting,” Dolphins founder Gerald Harris said.

According to Harris, the city’s plans to turn the fieldhouse into a migrant shelter were put on hold, but the facilities were not reopened.

“They have shut down the park. What they did, they told us one day, ‘It’s on hold.’ The next day, they’re moving everything out. Since then, they’re putting portapotties out here,” Harris said.

The Amundsen Park Advisory Council gathered Monday to demand the return of staff and programs to the park.

“Bring our programs back, in good faith. Bring our programs back to our park while this is on hold,” Donald Glover, the Amundsen Park Advisory Council President said.

Mayor Johnson reverses course on plans for southern border trip
To accommodate the shelter, senior programs were moved a mile and a half away, leaving some residents unable to participate, despite the fact that the plans have been put on hold.

“I was told to either go to one of those parks or stay at home,” West Side resident Johnnie Arps said.

Residents filed an an emergency Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to block the city from going back on their word and moving migrants into the Fieldhouse. They say they are hopeful a judge will sign off on that order and the city will restore their park.

The first court hearing on the request is set to take place on Tuesday morning at 9:30 a.m.

Again, why put the immigrants into the urban ghetto where resources are so limited? Why not send them into the suburbs where there are far more resources and much more space? City folks have paid for these services and are entitled to them. No one should be allowed to enter and usurp services and resources that they have never paid for. For the future, the government needs to be more thoughtful about those urban unfortunates who have so little to begin with and to stop taking away what little they have. Hopefully, all this will be settled soon.
General question thats not loaded or dripping.

When do arbitrary borders codified by governments require your moral judgement and when does your morality transcend borders? I think every person is hypocritical on this topic to some degree at points in their life, whether thoughtless or paying a lot of attention and seeking out more information. But do we care about humans or just citizens?

I struggle with this regularly and don't have a great answer myself but also am not as strident in most of my positions as I perceive you to be.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:42 pm

When do arbitrary borders codified by governments require your moral judgement and when does your morality transcend borders? I think every person is hypocritical on this topic to some degree at points in their life, whether thoughtless or paying a lot of attention and seeking out more information. But do we care about humans or just citizens?

I struggle with this regularly and don't have a great answer myself but also am not as strident in most of my positions as I perceive you to be.

Can't say I have an answer, let alone THE answer. Just more questions.

My friend who called from Brooklyn the other day said that he has elderly friends who have spent years on waiting lists for public housing. Yet, some of these immigrants (notably from Russia or Ukraine) have gotten Section 8 housing overnight. Same problem here in the Twinkie cities. I am amazed at how quickly some of these refugees have been accommodated. Meanwhile, so may locals continue on seemingly endless waiting lists in order to get services.

Today I went to a community dental clinic as I don't have medical insurance and can't afford private dental service. All I got out it was a routine exam, was told I needed extensive dental work, but could not be accommodated for such service as the waiting list for that is at least another year.

So if the NY Post article is to be believed, how or why the ᶠ....ʞ are these people getting services so quickly and for free while we have to pay and to wait for all this goddamn time to get serviced?

Here's another problem: you're waiting on a line for some service and these people cannot speak English. It may take an enormous amount of time to get someone to translate and you have to wait and wait until their issues are settled. Same thing on the city bus - people can't speak English, the bus driver cannot understand what they are saying, then the bus is delayed, it gets to its destination very late, and you miss your connection bus, then you have to wait for a half hour or longer until your next bus comes.

But to get back to my initial post on this: why impose all this on the inner city people? We are already burdened enough, have very limited resources, and find that what we have is being redirected towards others who haven't paid a cent in taxes. When the kids here try to get jobs at fast food joints or at some hard ware store they expect to be making $18 per hour or more. With all those kids from immigrant families, the wages are reduced to $14 or less. And (surprise!) adults are making the same complaint as their wages are lowered because so much cheap labor is being imported into the cities.

I tell you what ~ if all these immigrants (millions according to ICE) were imposed on the suburbs and suburbanites (rather than the cities), with people forced to have lower wages, fewer community services, parks taken up by ethnic festivals with music blaring away and people dropping refuse all over the lawns since they don't know that garbage belongs in large trash bins, with endlessly long lines at government agencies, with schools having to drop programs such as hockey, football, lacrosse, baseball, softball, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, in favor of soccer and badminton, I bet some action would be taken to significantly reduce the problem. I'm not saying that everyone should be barred at the door as it has been conclusively proven that the USA farmers desperately need agricultural workers. Just saying, let's spread the wealth or more correctly, the burdens more evenly. The ICE under both parties has been doing all this for many years and it's time to realize that we i the inner cities simply cannot undertake all these burdens forever.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

mmm, seems to me that those dirty immigrants who can't even speak English have been a perpetual problem for American society for most of our history.

To anyone on here, where did your ancestors emigrate from?

Did they take jobs from American-born citizens?
Did they clog our cities?
Send they their kids to public schools, if they could?

Interesting idea about sending these folks to the suburbs...good luck with that, most people want to live close to those who speak the same language, go to the same church and synagogue, etc., enjoy foods from 'back home', etc. They cluster close together, willing to live together until they can earn their way to more...their kids assimilated...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Interesting idea about sending these folks to the suburbs...good luck with that

My point exactly - send them there, force suburbanites, not poor city folks, to deal with all that and see how the problem will be ended overnight.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:43 pm

My friend who called from Brooklyn the other day said that he has elderly friends who have spent years on waiting lists for public housing. Yet, some of these immigrants (notably from Russia or Ukraine) have gotten Section 8 housing overnight. Same problem here in the Twinkie cities. I am amazed at how quickly some of these refugees have been accommodated. Meanwhile, so may locals continue on seemingly endless waiting lists in order to get services.

Today I went to a community dental clinic as I don't have medical insurance and can't afford private dental service. All I got out it was a routine exam, was told I needed extensive dental work, but could not be accommodated for such service as the waiting list for that is at least another year.

So if the NY Post article is to be believed, how or why the ᶠ....ʞ are these people getting services so quickly and for free while we have to pay and to wait for all this goddamn time to get serviced?

Here's another problem: you're waiting on a line for some service and these people cannot speak English. It may take an enormous amount of time to get someone to translate and you have to wait and wait until their issues are settled. Same thing on the city bus - people can't speak English, the bus driver cannot understand what they are saying, then the bus is delayed, it gets to its destination very late, and you miss your connection bus, then you have to wait for a half hour or longer until your next bus comes.

But to get back to my initial post on this: why impose all this on the inner city people? We are already burdened enough, have very limited resources, and find that what we have is being redirected towards others who haven't paid a cent in taxes. When the kids here try to get jobs at fast food joints or at some hard ware store they expect to be making $18 per hour or more. With all those kids from immigrant families, the wages are reduced to $14 or less. And (surprise!) adults are making the same complaint as their wages are lowered because so much cheap labor is being imported into the cities.

I tell you what ~ if all these immigrants (millions according to ICE) were imposed on the suburbs and suburbanites (rather than the cities), with people forced to have lower wages, fewer community services, parks taken up by ethnic festivals with music blaring away and people dropping refuse all over the lawns since they don't know that garbage belongs in large trash bins, with endlessly long lines at government agencies, with schools having to drop programs such as hockey, football, lacrosse, baseball, softball, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, in favor of soccer and badminton, I bet some action would be taken to significantly reduce the problem. I'm not saying that everyone should be barred at the door as it has been conclusively proven that the USA farmers desperately need agricultural workers. Just saying, let's spread the wealth or more correctly, the burdens more evenly. The ICE under both parties has been doing all this for many years and it's time to realize that we i the inner cities simply cannot undertake all these burdens forever.
What if the entirety of the refugees and immigrants collectively here are better citizens than the same number of citizens they are taking space from? Does it matter who was lucky enough to be born here vs elsewhere when our country is built on the ideal of citizens being certain things that many born here aren’t and in many cases actively fight to oppose?

I don’t see any comment on how the administrative set is organized, managed or constructed at all. Is that not of any concern (presumably because you believe we can tax the wealthy and force many larger wealth transfers and that would solve all those problems regardless of how those political/governmental groups are operated?)?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:43 pm

Ever been to the big Greek festival in queens? I once left with two paint buckets full of fresh feta….
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:38 pm mmm, seems to me that those dirty immigrants who can't even speak English have been a perpetual problem for American society for most of our history.

To anyone on here, where did your ancestors emigrate from?

Did they take jobs from American-born citizens?
Did they clog our cities?
Send they their kids to public schools, if they could?

Interesting idea about sending these folks to the suburbs...good luck with that, most people want to live close to those who speak the same language, go to the same church and synagogue, etc., enjoy foods from 'back home', etc. They cluster close together, willing to live together until they can earn their way to more...their kids assimilated...
Mainly (near 100% that’s recorded) Ireland, one cat many generations back from the Netherlands (4% of me according to a cousin who wrote a family tree “book”-trust me it’s a picture book given the many family members I still have in Stueben Co NY, some of whole I visited last week and love as family but wouldn’t normally be chilling with at the nascar race).

Hence I like to party, fight, drink and have a macabre sense of humor that makes Flannery O’Conner give me a thumbs up from the grave.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:47 pm

My point exactly - send them there, force suburbanites, not poor city folks, to deal with all that and see how the problem will be ended overnight.
You cut out the point where you’d be taking their agency away-the immigrants. The essence of his point was changed by cutting off the rest.

What you said is also “take away the immigrants choice or right to live where they want to” here.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

FarFromGeneva,,

I don’t see any comment on how the administrative set is organized, managed or constructed at all.

I have no answer for that. Only that I want to see a more fair distribution of the burden.

~ Greek Festival ~

Good for you.

~ “take away the immigrants choice or right to live where they want to” ~

What choice does that give to the already burdened inner city folk? Again, how about spreading it to the more resourced suburbs?

As before, the only reason why this seemingly endless train of people are being brought in is because suburbanites are not being burdened with that influx. Put the burden on them and you will see the problem ended overnight. I have made that point several times but nobody has addressed that. Obviously that's because as suburbanites you never see that. We see it on a daily basis in the inner cities. It's time to spread that "wealth".

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 am
FarFromGeneva,,

I don’t see any comment on how the administrative set is organized, managed or constructed at all.

I have no answer for that. Only that I want to see a more fair distribution of the burden.

~ Greek Festival ~

Good for you.

What choice does that give to the already burdened inner city folk? Again, how about spreading it to the more resourced suburbs?

As before, the only reason why this seemingly endless train of people are being brought in is because suburbanites are not being burdened with that influx. Put the burden on them and you will see the problem ended overnight. I have made that point several times but nobody has addressed that. Obviously that's because as suburbanites you never see that. We see it on a daily basis in the inner cities. It's time to spread that "wealth".
Ok fair enough. Appreciate your responses.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 am
FarFromGeneva,,

~ Greek Festival ~

Good for you.

What if the suburbanite earned their way out of having to have that burden? I happen to be that person though I choose to live in town and try to make the neighborhood better but if someone decided that was their dream and they earned the ability to go there why is it again their issue to deal with?

Clarified your positions which I already understood broadly. Just too parochial and paternalistic while not really offering much prescriptive solutions that actually could ever work in the real world for me. Nice ideas of which I may agree with some or all but it lacks action ability and efficacy to me. Plenty of Irish authors have referenced dying while fighting the sea, I’m good with that.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I see you cut the rest.

Impractical both administratively and because of immigrants' own preferences.

I do agree that the costs of the burden should be shared...and frankly I'm fine with a progressive tax process for all of our countries' priorities.

Where were your ancestors from Brooklyn?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:59 am

I see you cut the rest.

I do agree that the costs of the burden should be shared...and frankly I'm fine with a progressive tax process for all of our countries' priorities.

Ancestors: some greeted Columbus when he came here. Others who sailed with or after him settled here.

~ impractical ~

The current "solution" to dumping people in the inner cities hasn't worked at all but has caused more problems. It will continue to cause more problems.

Therefore, if ICE must continue to bring in all these people, shift the burden to those who can handle it.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:40 am
What if the suburbanite earned their way out of having to have that burden? I happen to be that person though I choose to live in town and try to make the neighborhood better but if someone decided that was their dream and they earned the ability to go there why is it again their issue to deal with?

Clarified your positions which I already understood broadly. Just too parochial and paternalistic while not really offering much prescriptive solutions that actually could ever work in the real world for me. Nice ideas of which I may agree with some or all but it lacks action ability and efficacy to me. Plenty of Irish authors have referenced dying while fighting the sea, I’m good with that.

Not sure what you mean by "earn" their way out of it. Why make the privileged more so?

You say I am not offering solutions and you're largely right. But keeping the problem in the ghettoes where the news media and the politicians who create the problem disregard it won't solve the problem at all. Better to have some solution than none at all.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:52 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:40 am

Not sure what you mean by "earn" their way out of it. Why make the privileged more so?

You say I am not offering solutions and you're largely right. But keeping the problem in the ghettoes where the news media and the politicians who create the problem disregard it won't solve the problem at all. Better to have some solution than none at all.
I can offer some ideas, nobody asked and didn't feel compelled on this topic. But it would be a mistake to assume absence of evidence is evidence of absence I'm sure you'd agree.

Tell me how you'd incentivize people if you cap their upward mobility at "suburbs but you have to be forced to deal with the stuff you didn't want when you performed in society such that you were rewarded with the option of leaving?" I'm self motivated by other things but many aren't or haven't achieved high enough level on Maslows hierarchy to think or see beyond the immediate, regardless of whether by circumstance or ones own making. Still feels like abstractions of an ideal outcome that lots of people who disagree on methodlogy or approach (or construct of social organiztion) who want the same thing. We're almost all directionally in agreement despite what you seem to believe here.

BTW I think of Ghettos as not only where Boogie Down Productions hails from (or Bushwick or ENY or wherever in Brookly you want to promote pre gentrification and disneylandification of basically all of Brooklyn - the area around the Nets arena being the worst of it IMO spots like Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope didn't need as much heavy lifitng to become what they are now). I think of them as rich tapestries of interesting stuff I rarely got to see in Binghamton or anywhere in the rest of the state basically. You cant get Feta anywhere like in Queens. Almost all modern music is a derivative of the blues which came out of one cohort largely (and music experts can correct me but understood it's all derivitaive of tribal music from the middle east and africa basically). If the solution is complete homogenization of cultures, bendind language and concepts to be abosultely reltiave and having no meaning, how does a society even come to terms and communicate effectively? I don't want every person to look like Bruno Mars, no matter how sexy that chick is!

Trying to avoid standard dumb talking points but your talking dragging folks down rather than lifting ones up.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:48 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:59 am

I see you cut the rest.

Ancestors: some greeted Columbus when he came here. Others who sailed with or after him settled here.

~ impractical ~

The current "solution" to dumping people in the inner cities hasn't worked at all but has caused more problems. It will continue to cause more problems.

Therefore, if ICE must continue to bring in all these people, shift the burden to those who can handle it.
Great, some native blood. But where did those other ancestors come from and in what era?
I assume various countries like most of us and not all in the same era, though some of us have ancestors only more recently.

Any of them speak languages other than English? worship differently than the majority in their state or in the country?

Any of them called dirty immigrants?

Were those who were called such "dumped" in "inner cities"?

Did they ultimately thrive and contribute to America?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Telling people in the ghetto to suck it all up doesn't serve to build up anyone there. By taking away jobs, significantly reducing their wages, redirecting community resources to people who have never paid a cent in taxes, and repeating this process every year is no solution. All you are telling me is to keep this problem away from the suburbs. That solves absolutely nothing.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:31 pm

Great, some native blood. But where did those other ancestors come from and in what era?
I assume various countries like most of us and not all in the same era, though some of us have ancestors only more recently.

Any of them speak languages other than English? worship differently than the majority in their state or in the country?

Any of them called dirty immigrants?

Were those who were called such "dumped" in "inner cities"?

Did they ultimately thrive and contribute to America?

I'm not interested in making this a discussion about myself. Suffice it to say that we've done our part to make this a better USA. But no, none of us have ever "thrived".

Return to “POLITICS”