UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ohmilax34

Re: UVA 2024

Post by ohmilax34 »

Duffy has been great this year. I haven't seen much of Millon, but I watched the All American game from early July in Annapolis, where Millon and Duffy both played. They were each great, and my impression was they were the best on the field. Obviously, with an all star game it's impossible to get a good feel for everyone, but it was clear they were great. Kabiri stood out too in that game.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Sorry for the off-topic interjection to the UVA thread, just seeing the below response. Don't check much in the offseason.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:45 pm Give me 3rd quarter data and margin of leads if you’ve got it. If you’re up by double digits or so in Q3 and kids are dumping goals in second half of that period it’s still pushing it at D3 which is wildly more disparate than D1 in terms of quality. I’ve seen enough to see there’s something let’s just say “culturally unique” going on there.
Not much to say other than the numbers are what they are. There's nothing culturally unique going on there; the 'running up the score' that people in the forums insist is an issue just isn't going on.

FWIW: if scoring in the second half of the 3rd quarter = running up the score, that includes literally all of D3's top programs (and probably a lot of the second/third tier ones as well depending on the opponent). Interestingly enough, there was a recent NPOY who racked up exactly 25% of their total points for the season (24.4% of their goals, 26.9% of their assists) with their team already leading by 10+ in the second halves of games...but that's a different conversation.

Totally fine if that is where you draw the line - I just don't view it that strictly. Have a hard time viewing the third quarter as garbage time unless a game is genuinely pointless. Start of the fourth is the general line for me.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Having been on the receiving side of teams that might be accused of running up the score, I have to point out unless the starters are the ones doing the scoring, the team is not running up the score.

Teams that have a comparatively strong first line usually have a comparatively strong and deep bench. When they get put in, they should rightly try their best.

If that means the score is lopsided, so be it.

Attempting to discount goals based on when they are scored is right up there with discounting goals based on who the goalie is or whether they have a short stick on them or if the goal was in transition or if then goal was assisted or if the goal was man up or man down,…..
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed. Been on both sides as a coach. And the opposing coach and players said dont hold back, we want to get tested. Nothing worse than adding insult to injury and playing keep away, not shooting on the goal to avoid scoring or intentionally missing.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:32 pm Agreed. Been on both sides as a coach. And the opposing coach and players said dont hold back, we want to get tested. Nothing worse than adding insult to injury and playing keep away, not shooting on the goal to avoid scoring or intentionally missing.
Can agree with this, as long as it isn't starters going to the goal up big, late in a game.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Inside Lacrosse coverage after attending UVA fall ball: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... inia/62159

February is still far away but it sounds like Boyden is adjusting well for those who speculated (and perhaps doubted) how the transition from Tufts would go.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:24 pm Inside Lacrosse coverage after attending UVA fall ball: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... inia/62159

February is still far away but it sounds like Boyden is adjusting well for those who speculated (and perhaps doubted) how the transition from Tufts would go.
You realize how good he is, when Shellenberger raves about him and how much fun he will be to play with in the Spring. That was going to be a top 3 attack with just Shellenberger and Cormier plus plug in whomever. If they can figure out adding quality depth at short stick middie, they could be challenging again for Memorial Day weekend. They seem to have the horses everywhere else.
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:53 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:24 pm Inside Lacrosse coverage after attending UVA fall ball: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... inia/62159

You realize how good he is, when Shellenberger raves about him and how much fun he will be to play with in the Spring. That was going to be a top 3 attack with just Shellenberger and Cormier plus plug in whomever. If they can figure out adding quality depth at short stick middie, they could be challenging again for Memorial Day weekend. They seem to have the horses everywhere else.
That seems to be the write up for Duke and UVA the last 5 years. You know they have talent on offense and defense. The question is always do they culture to win in the middle of the field
molo

Post by molo »

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “culture,” but then I never am when it’s referred to in sports. If the implication is toughness, I think habitually leading DI I. ground balls would indicate that toughness between the line is not an issue.
coda

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:01 pm I’m not quite sure what you mean by “culture,” but then I never am when it’s referred to in sports. If the implication is toughness, I think habitually leading DI I. ground balls would indicate that toughness between the line is not an issue.
More Duke, but it applies. They both get a lot of highly ranked guys on on offense and defense. Both units are pretty good down low.. When they struggle it’s generally, when someone beats them in the middle of the field. Seen both miss the lunch pale guy that every great team needs. Perhaps roster construction may be a better term
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

coda wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:07 pm
molo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:01 pm I’m not quite sure what you mean by “culture,” but then I never am when it’s referred to in sports. If the implication is toughness, I think habitually leading DI I. ground balls would indicate that toughness between the line is not an issue.
More Duke, but it applies. They both get a lot of highly ranked guys on on offense and defense. Both units are pretty good down low.. When they struggle it’s generally, when someone beats them in the middle of the field. Seen both miss the lunch pale guy that every great team needs. Perhaps roster construction may be a better term
Your storyline for Duke is fine. Completely wrong on UVA though. They were 1 bad decision/unlucky play away from playing for National Championship #3 in 4 seasons. There is nothing wrong with that culture or roster construction.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

RIP Francis "Boo" Smith.
NCAA Champion, All American defender, and Schmeisser Award winner.
He was a teacher, dean of students, and possibly the winningest coach in MSA/MIAA history ever, collecting 20 hs state championships as a head coach-
10 in lacrosse at John Carroll and 10 in squash at Gilman.
He was a mentor to many, and gentleman to all.
His family and friends will miss him.

https://www.mwfuneralhome.com/obituarie ... !/Obituary
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

^^^ On that 1972 title,

Cavaliers survived a late rush by Jack Thomas, who with 12 seconds left in the game appeared to have a clear shot at the net. Bob Scott however had, unknown to the ball players called a timeout, negating what would have been a last-second game-tying attempt…
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:05 pm ^^^ On that 1972 title,

Cavaliers survived a late rush by Jack Thomas, who with 12 seconds left in the game appeared to have a clear shot at the net. Bob Scott however had, unknown to the ball players called a timeout, negating what would have been a last-second game-tying attempt…
You mean a coach made a last second decision that impacted the outcome of the game? Never heard of that. I guess these impromptu decisions don’t happen in say, the first/second or third quarters.
molo

Post by molo »

AA defenseman and long time hs coach Boo Smith has died. Obit in today’s Sun.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Nice flip for Lars there eh?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

No Ricky Miezan in 2024. Not eligible.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
molo

Post by molo »

Tommy Smith, who started at lsm before moving to close d, has died. I didn’t realize he had been the d coach under Roy Colsey at Ridgefield. Tommy Smith was the most prominent defender of the early Starsia years. Sad to hear that he died so young.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:57 pm No Ricky Miezan in 2024. Not eligible.
Seems crazy. He would be eligible in football but not lacrosse. Hope they appeal it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

blue angels wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:42 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:57 pm No Ricky Miezan in 2024. Not eligible.
Seems crazy. He would be eligible in football but not lacrosse. Hope they appeal it.
Would have been fun to see how his game developed in a second lacrosse year, but if the NCAA has been consistent in the ruling that you can only use the extra Covid year in the sport that you were playing in 2020 then I don’t think Miezan would have success with an appeal. He has also had six seasons of college athletics (although some bad injury luck early in his football career). Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”