Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:14 pm So how many of you on this forum forget this simple fact? Most Muslims deny the right of Israel to even exists. Where is the middle ground to begin in that discussion? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think Israel has a right to exist. The UN made that decision a long time ago.
I don’t know any muslim personally that feels that way. Do you? How did you come up with “most”?
How about the vast majority?? The next Muslim leader that acknowledges Israel has a right to exist will be the first one that I'm aware of. I'm guessing if your a Muslim who openly supports Israel your life expectancy will diminish rapidly. The UN gave Israel the right to exist as a nation. It has all gone downhill from there. If anybody out there sees a light at the end of the tunnel I would hope you would share your optimism. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:07 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:14 pm So how many of you on this forum forget this simple fact? Most Muslims deny the right of Israel to even exists. Where is the middle ground to begin in that discussion? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think Israel has a right to exist. The UN made that decision a long time ago.
I don’t know any muslim personally that feels that way. Do you? How did you come up with “most”?
How about the vast majority?? The next Muslim leader that acknowledges Israel has a right to exist will be the first one that I'm aware of. I'm guessing if your a Muslim who openly supports Israel your life expectancy will diminish rapidly. The UN gave Israel the right to exist as a nation. ]It has all gone downhill from there. If anybody out there sees a light at the end of the tunnel I would hope you would share your optimism. :roll:
So what is YOUR plan, hmm?

How about these questions:

Are the residents of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank humans?

Are they entitled to any rights?

Don’t want to hear about elections and politicians and leaders. Tell me about the humans.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:13 pm
How about the vast majority?? The next Muslim leader that acknowledges Israel has a right to exist will be the first one that I'm aware of. I'm guessing if your a Muslim who openly supports Israel your life expectancy will diminish rapidly. The UN gave Israel the right to exist as a nation. ]It has all gone downhill from there. If anybody out there sees a light at the end of the tunnel I would hope you would share your optimism. :roll:

Don’t want to hear about elections and politicians and leaders. Tell me about the humans.
Great question. Of course the residents of Gaza are humans. They sadly have been put in harms way by the Hamas cowards. They are as worthy of compassion as were the innocent people murdered in Israel. You don't even care about them anymore. Hamas created this situation. You know of any war where innocent people have never been collateral damage?? You think Hamas gives a f**k about the residents of Gaza who they hide behind like gutless f***ing cowards? I'll answer my own question to you...no Hamas doesn't care about the residents of Gaza who are about to pay for their atrocities. They are just pawns in the game.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:51 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:00 pm

That, at least, is well stated. ;)

Glad you appreciate the last... ;)

ok, so you find compelling the arguments from people who have a tiny minority view of how to read the exact same text. And yet, you're not an expert yourself, not a scholar...so, what makes it so compelling, that it seems to support your own ideology?

It's interesting that you use the same logic about the Constitutionality of support for Israel, a terribly small minority of people would find that interesting (well, some people find the Protocols of Zion "interesting, so who knows...), let's just say that the vast majority of Constitutional scholars and SCOTUS Justices over the decades have not agreed with that tiny minority view among actual scholars...

Pretty obviously you find the same aspects compelling...they support your own predilections and ideology.

But hey, 400k of Jews are among the Jewish progressives you say are anti-zionist...what's that 2.5% of Jews? Seriously?

Big difference between having empathy for the plight of Palestinians and being anti-zionist or do you equate those things? That would be a much bigger percentage, indeed my hunch would be that a majority of Jewish people have such empathy and concern...not all, but most.

~ not an expert ~

But as a literary scholar (BA with honors from the greatest college in the USA), I am able to read and to discern what I'm reading. As to the actual merits of Hebrew translations and the analyses given by those scholars, I'll allow experts to debate them at greater length.

As for constitutional considerations, I only have a doctorate in the field which makes me qualified to call myself "expert" on law and their interpretation/application.

400+K subscribers? Good number. But, of course, only a small amount of that group's supporters. There are millions more.
:D I'm sure you are a very bright fellow...but what is the "greatest college in the USA"? I like my school, "It is, sir, as I have said, a small college, and yet there are those who love it" Daniel Webster but I make no such grandiose claims... ;)

Yeah, you have no idea about the actual merits of the various interpretations of sacred text, apparently not even recognizing the tradition of rabbinic midrash as essentially refuting any notion of singular "truth" in interpretation...but I get it, it fits your preferred ideological narrative.

And, while you are not alone in your thinking on the Constitution, you are, again, in a tiny minority in this absolutist interpretation... As is incredibly evident in the actual rulings of SCOTUS over many generations. If your argument ever had merit, it has never found any sort of solid foothold among SCOTUS rulings...or, for that matter, widespread agreement among Constitutional scholars and practitioners.

As to your doctorate, which "field"? Is that in constitutional law?
Are you a practitioner? Won any cases before SCOTUS?

Maybe in academia?

Go ahead and find us some cites on the millions of anti-zionist Jews. It wouldn't be the first time I've found I've been wrong, but I haven't found evidence of such in my own searching.

Again, empathy for Palestinians ain't the same as anti-zionist.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:08 pm

ok, so you find compelling the arguments from people who have a tiny minority view of how to read the exact same text. And yet, you're not an expert yourself, not a scholar...so, what makes it so compelling, that it seems to support your own ideology?

It's interesting that you use the same logic about the Constitutionality of support for Israel, a terribly small minority of people would find that interesting (well, some people find the Protocols of Zion "interesting, so who knows...), let's just say that the vast majority of Constitutional scholars and SCOTUS Justices over the decades have not agreed with that tiny minority view among actual scholars...

Pretty obviously you find the same aspects compelling...they support your own predilections and ideology.

But hey, 400k of Jews are among the Jewish progressives you say are anti-zionist...what's that 2.5% of Jews? Seriously?

Big difference between having empathy for the plight of Palestinians and being anti-zionist or do you equate those things? That would be a much bigger percentage, indeed my hunch would be that a majority of Jewish people have such empathy and concern...not all, but most.

~ not an expert ~

But as a literary scholar (BA with honors from the greatest college in the USA), I am able to read and to discern what I'm reading. As to the actual merits of Hebrew translations and the analyses given by those scholars, I'll allow experts to debate them at greater length.

As for constitutional considerations, I only have a doctorate in the field which makes me qualified to call myself "expert" on law and their interpretation/application.

400+K subscribers? Good number. But, of course, only a small amount of that group's supporters. There are millions more.
:D I'm sure you are a very bright fellow...but what is the "greatest college in the USA"? I like my school, "It is, sir, as I have said, a small college, and yet there are those who love it" Daniel Webster but I make no such grandiose claims... ;)

Yeah, you have no idea about the actual merits of the various interpretations of sacred text, apparently not even recognizing the tradition of rabbinic midrash as essentially refuting any notion of singular "truth" in interpretation...but I get it, it fits your preferred ideological narrative.

And, while you are not alone in your thinking on the Constitution, you are, again, in a tiny minority in this absolutist interpretation... As is incredibly evident in the actual rulings of SCOTUS over many generations. If your argument ever had merit, it has never found any sort of solid foothold among SCOTUS rulings...or, for that matter, widespread agreement among Constitutional scholars and practitioners.

Maybe in academia?

Go ahead and find us some cites on the millions of anti-zionist Jews. It wouldn't be the first time I've found I've been wrong, but I haven't found evidence of such in my own searching.

And you thought conversing with me was a pain in your ass? :D
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

How about the vast majority?? The next Muslim leader that acknowledges Israel has a right to exist will be the first one that I'm aware of. I'm guessing if your a Muslim who openly supports Israel your life expectancy will diminish rapidly. The UN gave Israel the right to exist as a nation. It has all gone downhill from there. If anybody out there sees a light at the end of the tunnel I would hope you would share your optimism. :roll:
For your edification, cradle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_su ... _of_Israel

and as to countries which recognize Israel's right to exist, a whole lot of Muslim countries and leaders have done so: Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, Chad, Morocco...The Saudis were getting close...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... ize-israel
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:14 pm

~ not an expert ~

Maybe in academia?

And you thought conversing with me was a pain in your ass? :D
:D
I've previously told you that I don't care if someone is to the left or the right, if I disagree, I'll say so... ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:46 am
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:37 am
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:18 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:13 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:06 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:04 pm

No Israel? I have REPEATEDLY stated that I want a one state solution.

Please read my posts again.
Oh, I read them. What happened 60 years ago-----your words, not mine? 'member the war?

Or more to the point: how many jewish people live in your "0ne State Solutions" in neighboring Egypt or Syria?

Can't answer for either one. Do they claim to be democratic or are they self proclaimed Islamic states?
Next to zero for both.

As for claims of "Democracy.....etc." Irrelevant. The point is, the Jewish people are not welcome in those countries. You are pretending like the Muslims would play nicey-nice if the were allowed power in Israel.

I'm not any happier about this mess than you are. But if the Jewish people in the region laid down their arms? You are hopefully not so far gone to understand that it would take maybe a week or two before they'd be wiped out.

The Iranians, Syrians, and Egyptians have no such worries.

Your "one State solution" would wipe out the last remaining Jewish people in the region, Brooks. You're not being realistic, and you know it.
Israel has always wanted a one state solution. In the last decade or so they have been trying normalizing w several middle eastern states. That is one reason for the attack. They were alerted by Egypt. If they believe it can be done as it appears it can w Egypt and Jordan and developing w the Saudis then i think we can.

Israel has been a nuclear power since at least the 50. Militarily it is difficult to see how they could lose. Asymetric warfare produces strange outputs sometimes. Vietnam comes to mind. We lost

Apartheid produces civilian unrest. So does great disparities in wealth. Both are present there.

Israel broke the truce shortly after state hood as has been breaking it ever since. They began pushing Palestinians off their land ever before statehood. It is long past time to cha ge the trajectory
So that justifies Hamas murdering children and babies?? Why didn't Hamas bring this fight to the Israeli military?? Maybe if you pour enough maple syrup on the problem it will be sweet enough for you. :roll: :roll: :roll: The creep from the creeps is moving even faster than I anticipated.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myopic
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:07 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:58 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:46 am
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:37 am
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:18 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:13 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:06 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:04 pm

No Israel? I have REPEATEDLY stated that I want a one state solution.

Please read my posts again.
Oh, I read them. What happened 60 years ago-----your words, not mine? 'member the war?

Or more to the point: how many jewish people live in your "0ne State Solutions" in neighboring Egypt or Syria?

Can't answer for either one. Do they claim to be democratic or are they self proclaimed Islamic states?
Next to zero for both.

As for claims of "Democracy.....etc." Irrelevant. The point is, the Jewish people are not welcome in those countries. You are pretending like the Muslims would play nicey-nice if the were allowed power in Israel.

I'm not any happier about this mess than you are. But if the Jewish people in the region laid down their arms? You are hopefully not so far gone to understand that it would take maybe a week or two before they'd be wiped out.

The Iranians, Syrians, and Egyptians have no such worries.

Your "one State solution" would wipe out the last remaining Jewish people in the region, Brooks. You're not being realistic, and you know it.
Israel has always wanted a one state solution. In the last decade or so they have been trying normalizing w several middle eastern states. That is one reason for the attack. They were alerted by Egypt. If they believe it can be done as it appears it can w Egypt and Jordan and developing w the Saudis then i think we can.

Israel has been a nuclear power since at least the 50. Militarily it is difficult to see how they could lose. Asymetric warfare produces strange outputs sometimes. Vietnam comes to mind. We lost

Apartheid produces civilian unrest. So does great disparities in wealth. Both are present there.

Israel broke the truce shortly after state hood as has been breaking it ever since. They began pushing Palestinians off their land ever before statehood. It is long past time to cha ge the trajectory
So that justifies Hamas murdering children and babies?? Why didn't Hamas bring this fight to the Israeli military?? Maybe if you pour enough maple syrup on the problem it will be sweet enough for you. :roll: :roll: :roll: The creep from the creeps is moving even faster than I anticipated.
Who said anything anout justifying killing babies and eomen although Israel has also done both. Was Israel justified in having snipers to murder some 1,500 or so youth. Clearly it is beyond your understanding and as with most of your steaming piles you drag in distractions to try can redirect the topic. People die bcs of people like you being unable to understand complex issues, get hour GED and try again
Simple minded people say simple minded things.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Israel appears to have reciprocated bombing w/Syria : https://www.barrons.com/amp/news/israel ... y-d9757d6c
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ever heard of Spy vs Spy in Mad Magazine???
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This is his plan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvqkNo6tRY
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Maybe in academia?

~ greatest ~

We discussed that b4 on LP. The CCNY, of course. None better. Home of a great many progressive Jews who have championed the Palestinian cause. Knew quite a few back in the day.

~ rabbinical ~

Discussed already. Go ahead and have your little debate with them. I'm sure they will welcome the chat.

~ SCOTUS ~

Israel ... the country has no constitution, a series of “Basic Laws” enumerate fundamental rights, which serve as the country’s constitutional foundation ... a “Jewish and democratic state” ... The Nation State of the Jewish People (Nation State Law) recognizes “the exercise of the right to national self-determination in the State of Israel” as “unique to the Jewish People” and calls for promotion of “Jewish settlement” as a national value. The law recommends – but does not require – that judges use Jewish jurisprudence and heritage as a source of legal principles ..."

https://www.state.gov/reports/2022-repo ... -and-gaza/

A state is an institution just like hospitals, schools, and libraries. Therefore, when the government supports it, this violates disestablishment. That is why the government decided some time in the early 1950s to recognize it as a political, not a religious entity. That's what I read a long while ago but couldn't trace a source for this. But other scholars have determined it as well as you have now seen.

Those of you on the right who call for strict constructionism, original intent, and among other things strict enforcement of the 2d Amendment should demand that the US government refrain from violating the Constitution by supporting that country.

~ empathy for Palestinians ain't the same as anti-zionist ~

Yup. And there are far more who harbor such ideas than the one or two which you said earlier.

... and yes, that other guy can be a pain in the ### but he's worth a few good laffs. ;)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Ha!...such bullsh!t pizza. Aren't you the one always telling us what useless garbage humans are? But now to badger C&S with his understandable POV, you've become some sort of humanitarian? Quite selective on your part, not to mention the hypocrisy :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:55 pm

Maybe in academia?

~ greatest ~

We discussed that b4 on LP. The CCNY, of course. None better. Home of a great many progressive Jews who have championed the Palestinian cause. Knew quite a few back in the day.

~ rabbinical ~

Discussed already. Go ahead and have your little debate with them. I'm sure they will welcome the chat.

~ SCOTUS ~

Israel ... the country has no constitution, a series of “Basic Laws” enumerate fundamental rights, which serve as the country’s constitutional foundation ... a “Jewish and democratic state” ... The Nation State of the Jewish People (Nation State Law) recognizes “the exercise of the right to national self-determination in the State of Israel” as “unique to the Jewish People” and calls for promotion of “Jewish settlement” as a national value. The law recommends – but does not require – that judges use Jewish jurisprudence and heritage as a source of legal principles ..."

https://www.state.gov/reports/2022-repo ... -and-gaza/

A state is an institution just like hospitals, schools, and libraries. Therefore, when the government supports it, this violates disestablishment. That is why the government decided some time in the early 1950s to recognize it as a political, not a religious entity. That's what I read a long while ago but couldn't trace a source for this. But other scholars have determined it as well as you have now seen.

Those of you on the right who call for strict constructionism, original intent, and among other things strict enforcement of the 2d Amendment should demand that the US government refrain from violating the Constitution by supporting that country.

~ empathy for Palestinians ain't the same as anti-zionist ~

Yup. And there are far more who harbor such ideas than the one or two which you said earlier.

... and yes, that other guy can be a pain in the ### but he's worth a few good laffs. ;)
Reminder: I'm not on the "right" as you're calling it, and I certainly don't adhere to strict constructionism, original intent etc, and certainly not the far right's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment (se the podcast I linked on the guns thread yesterday)..

Suggestion: Pay attention to whom you are trying to insult. :roll: ;) :roll:

I have zero desire to enter into any debate with a rabbinical scholar. I am merely observing that the specific interpretations you have presented are tiny minority views in the history of rabbinical midrash and current teaching as well. That's enough for me to dismiss your pronouncements of a singular interpretation as "truth" with "ya und ?" as my Swiss friend would say.

On the Constitutional argument, I hear the argument, but I will again maintain that SCOTUS has never expanded such concerns to our foreign aid support or treaty alliances with other nations. Quite the contrary, those decisions are powers understood to be held by the Legislative and Executive.

And I will again maintain that your desire to expand such as never found any serious foothold in Constitutional jurisprudence and scholarship...makes for good TP, that's all.

Ok, if you fall back position is that there are some small percentage of Jews who are actually anti-zionist and some are not Orthodox, fine by me. Communism, marxism, also have their adherents among a small percentage...indeed, considerable overlap, but we're still talking small.

Finally, I'll cast no broad aspersions on CCNY and its graduates. ;)
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:58 pm

Ha!...such bullsh!t pizza. Aren't you the one always telling us what useless garbage humans are? But now to badger C&S with his understandable POV, you've become some sort of humanitarian? Quite selective on your part, not to mention the hypocrisy :roll:
How about more discussion and less rock throwing?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:15 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:58 pm

How about more discussion and less rock throwing?
Better idea...how about you stay out of it ;)

You're awfully selective too about who can and cannot throw rocks :roll:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:14 pm

Reminder: I'm not on the "right" as you're calling it, and I certainly don't adhere to strict constructionism, original intent etc, and certainly not the far right's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment (se the podcast I linked on the guns thread yesterday)..

Suggestion: Pay attention to whom you are trying to insult. :roll: ;) :roll:

I have zero desire to enter into any debate with a rabbinical scholar. I am merely observing that the specific interpretations you have presented are tiny minority views in the history of rabbinical midrash and current teaching as well. That's enough for me to dismiss your pronouncements of a singular interpretation as "truth" with "ya und ?" as my Swiss friend would say.

On the Constitutional argument, I hear the argument, but I will again maintain that SCOTUS has never expanded such concerns to our foreign aid support or treaty alliances with other nations. Quite the contrary, those decisions are powers understood to be held by the Legislative and Executive.

And I will again maintain that your desire to expand such as never found any serious foothold in Constitutional jurisprudence and scholarship...makes for good TP, that's all.

Ok, if you fall back position is that there are some small percentage of Jews who are actually anti-zionist and some are not Orthodox, fine by me. Communism, marxism, also have their adherents among a small percentage...indeed, considerable overlap, but we're still talking small.

Finally, I'll cast no broad aspersions on CCNY and its graduates. ;)

What the heck is "insulting" you? Like "rock throwing" that is uncalled for.

Again, not a tiny amount of people but a significant amount. We will never have the actual numbers but large Orthodox anti Israel rallies have appeared in NY and I gave you an organization whose membership is well over 400,000. Kindly stop repeating yourself.

As for jurisprudence, yeah that's too bad that it has not been tested in the courts. But you know how the SC is ~ just another political institution in itself.

CCNY = # 1. No school has ever championed the cause of the poor and under privileged more than it has. Back in the day in New York some folks use to say that there is New York University and Jew York University meaning CCNY because of all the liberal Jews it had so many of whom fought for those in need.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:18 pm
For your edification, cradle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_su ... _of_Israel

and as to countries which recognize Israel's right to exist, a whole lot of Muslim countries and leaders have done so: Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, Chad, Morocco...The Saudis were getting close...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... ize-israel
Thank you for the edification. You think I didn't already know this? So what major Muslim leader has Israels back today??
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“The State Department issued an updated travel advisory for Israel, Gaza and the West Bank on Saturday, authorizing the departure of non-emergency U.S. government personnel.

According to the advisory, the authorization of the departure of staff from the U.S. embassy and branch office in Israel reflects “the unpredictable security situation in Israel.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/1 ... l-00121582
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”