NEC Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

NEC Lacrosse

Post by Dip&Dunk »

VMI & Detroit Mercy have joined the Northeast Conference for lacrosse. I wonder if this will change VMI’s schedule which has already been announced for ‘24?
Farfromgeneva

Re: NEC Lacrosse

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is RoMo going back too?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:44 am Is RoMo going back too?
Crazy,

RoMo though have no issues doing some traveling.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

Detroit Mercy must not have liked the expense of flying to Utah, Colorado, and Florida. I am surprised a couple more schools didn't bail on the ASUN.
lilax

Post by lilax »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:20 am
Crazy,

RMU left the conference because of football in 2020. I don’t think the NEC would invite them back.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I thought I had heard they were coming back despite shabby treatment on their way to the horizon league which I believe was actually for BB. They’re football only for Big South.

Didn’t think the way they were excluded that last year was cool at all as a affiliate NEC member who’s been treated poorly by another league (PL).
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I think my info below is correct, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's not ...... ;)

The restructuring as mentioned in previous posts only makes sense if the NEC gets to six teams for an automatic bid. Current full time members that play, and their current lax only affiliations are:
LeMoyne (new add directly to NEC?)
LIU (MAAC)
Merrimack (AE)
SHU (MAAC)
Wagner (MAAC)

Adding VMI from the MAAC and Detroit Mercy from the ASun does nothing to get the NEC that auto-bid unless three of the four of the full time NEC members LIU, Merrimack, SHU, and Wagner, or some other team previously only NEC affiliated for lax, i.e. Bryant or St. Joe's, also go.

With the addition of Iona, the MAAC will retain its auto-bid even six team requirement even if VMI and the remaining three lax-only affiliates return to the NEC.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:35 pm I think my info below is correct, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's not ...... ;)

The restructuring as mentioned in previous posts only makes sense if the NEC gets to six teams for an automatic bid. Current full time members that play, and their current lax only affiliations are:
LIU (MAAC)
Merrimack (AE)
SHU (MAAC)
Wagner (MAAC)

Adding VMI from the MAAC and Detroit Mercy from the ASun does nothing to get the NEC that auto-bid unless three of the four of the full time NEC members LIU, Merrimack, SHU, and Wagner, or some other team previously only NEC affiliated for lax, i.e. Bryant or St. Joe's, also go.

With the addition of Iona, the MAAC will retain its auto-bid even six team requirement even if VMI and the remaining three lax-only affiliates return to the NEC.
And obviously LIU through Wagner had been NEC until 2yrs ago when it blew up with the departures of St Joes, Bart and Bryant. One year after RoMo. They had some degree of history before joining the other conferences.

Don’t forget MSM too which has MAAC ties but also had been in the NEC for about 10-12yrs prior to going back to MAAC and has a new coach with Gravante moving on.

I can’t imagine any chance St Joes goes back as the A10 is a bit of a competitive upgrades. Maybe Bryant no idea what the AE does for them holistically speaking.

Iona, maybe Pitino effect, seems to be doing pretty well recruiting so far from what I’ve seen.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

From NEC’s website:

NEC men's lacrosse sponsorship will recommence with seven competing programs, as core members Le Moyne, LIU, Merrimack, Sacred Heart, and Wagner will be joined by affiliates Detroit Mercy and VMI.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:35 pm I think my info below is correct, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if it's not ...... ;)

LIU (MAAC)
Merrimack (AE)
SHU (MAAC)
Wagner (MAAC)

A-10 has 4 permanent members and 2 affiliates yet still gets an auto bid. Think you just need 6 teams
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:24 pm

LIU (MAAC)
Merrimack (AE)
SHU (MAAC)
Wagner (MAAC)

A-10 has 4 permanent members and 2 affiliates yet still gets an auto bid. Think you just need 6 teams
I know for a fact it’s 6 but it leaves you real vulnerable if one bounces and makes filling a full schedule harder.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Just making the point that the NEC will be fine on the auto bid. A-10 and Big East precarious with 6.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:22 am Just making the point that the NEC will be fine on the auto bid. A-10 and Big East precarious with 6.
Yep. Good for Bart given their experience with the PL.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:39 pm From NEC’s website:

NEC men's lacrosse sponsorship will recommence with seven competing programs, as core members Le Moyne, LIU, Merrimack, Sacred Heart, and Wagner will be joined by affiliates Detroit Mercy and VMI.
So reports are out that Merrimack and SHU are joining MAAC as full time members. With that I assume SHU will be staying in the MAAC for lax. Does Merrimack also go to the MAAC for lax, stay in the AE for lax, or make the 6th team in the NEC for an automatic bid?
lilax

Post by lilax »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:52 pm

So reports are out that Merrimack and SHU are joining MAAC as full time members. With that I assume SHU will be staying in the MAAC for lax. Does Merrimack also go to the MAAC for lax, stay in the AE for lax, or make the 6th team in the NEC for an automatic bid?
Merrimack has to go to the MAAC for all sports.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

Wondering if there will be another ASUN defection to keep them at 6?
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

lilax wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:06 pm
Crazy,

RMU left the conference because of football in 2020. I don’t think the NEC would invite them back.
They left because of basketball, not football and the NEC acted poorly in response.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

lilax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:03 pm

Merrimack has to go to the MAAC for all sports.
I understand you’re probably correct in assuming they’ll also move men’s lax to the MAAC, too, but I’m not sure Merrimack “has to”. Full MAAC member Fairfield is an example.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

bar_down wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 pm
Crazy,

They left because of basketball, not football and the NEC acted poorly in response.
What did the NEC do that was wrong?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bar_down wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 pm
Crazy,

This was my understanding as well and had to double check after the confident reply to me but think you and I are correct.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”