Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by dislaxxic »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:44 amMy four horseman were:

Ricky the dragon Steamboat
Junk Yard Dog (notwithstanding the overt racism of it-kind fi what makes old wrestling so fun is how ridiculous it is)
Million Dollar Man Ted Diabiase (everybody DOES have a price)
And GOAT Rowdy Roddy Piper - the OG antihero
Bruno Sammartino
Chief Jay Strongbow
The Baron Miguel Secluna from the Island of Malta
Andre the Giant

Took many a Saturday afternoon nap watching these matches...right before Roller Derby came on.

:lol: :lol:
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:59 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:40 amBut the right wing ideologues in Israel really aren't looking for peace and prosperity for Palestinians, they are solely focused on suppression, elimination, subjugation, replacement. And that's who is in power in this coalition.
I don't believe that to be true. I think there are Israeli politicians with less than idealistic goals (e.g. Wealth, power, etc.) but with rare exceptions, even amongst the far left and far right, they want peace. They may believe that peace can be attained through suppression, elimination, subjugation, replacement. But they want peace. And, to be fair, they're not wrong. For example, if realistically, Peace won't happen for another few decades, another generation or more, how do you stay safe until real Peace can be attained? One might argue that this top gap measure is delaying peace and this may very well be true. But you gotta protect your kids...
mmm, I've been to Israel several times, invested there, had shabbat dinner with various families...the extremists, typically Orthodox but not solely (nor are all Orthodox extremists), definitely want to simply move all Palestinians out of Israel (as they broadly define it) by whatever means necessary. Force. They want a wholly Jewish state governed by Jewish laws and practices and they believe their land should extend well beyond current borders...they are in conflict with secular Israeli Jews, Christians, Muslims in these objectives.

The "peace" they wish for is solely for themselves, certainly not for Palestinians. And whether we like it or not, the Palestinians and neighbors all have a say in whether "peace" is actually sustained.

What you're talking about as 'reasonable' is SECURITY from violence (not peace). No society is immune from violence, all governments seek to limit/reduce it...though in different ways. And security is indeed an essential and "reasonable" objective.

What they differ on is not about how to actually achieve peace, it's rather how to achieve "security".

And right now the Israeli government is dominated by these right wing ideologues, many of them religiously-fascist in nature. That doesn't mean everyone in power is a right wing fascist, but the Netanyahu faction has found common cause and power through adoption of their tactics and goals...which is "suppression, elimination, subjugation, replacement" of the Palestinians.

Not a great analogy, but this in not unlike what has happened with the GOP with the rise of extremist populism, imbued with religious fundamentalism, conspiracies, bigotry and the like...it needn't be "all" to radically alter the shape of resulting policies. (I think the analogy fails in that I don't think the Dems or immigrants or fentanyl whatever shibboleth of the day represent the sort of real threat to America's very existence that Israel actually faces.)

The right wing extremists are NOT the majority in either country, but we see analogous moves to alter the rules of the system to lock in political gains, avoid or control constitutional restrictions and judicial outcomes, and we see a similar willingness to flaunt the rule of law.

Highly problematic.

People of good conscience can reasonably disagree on how to create and maintain security. But not all are fairly described as of "good conscience", IMO.

Nor is Hamas, obviously, lest tech think I'm soft on Hamas!!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:11 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:53 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:08 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:31 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:57 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:46 pm News agencies across the globe now confirming that Hamas murdered/beheaded babies and infants at Kfar Aza.
... I have no doubt that Hamas is committing atrocities.
Must be why you haven't added the Palestinian flag next to your Ukraine flag :roll:
Where is that coming from?

But perhaps I've missed your point with the rolling eyes... :roll:
jhu72 knows. I've been pointing out his hypocrisy going back to LP. He's always howling about fascism and yet is supportive of Iran's theocratic fascist gov't and connected theocratic terrorist groups like Hamas/Hezbollah. And yet he's anti-religion too? He says he's not supportive but his body of posts over the years, IMO, say otherwise.

I think the Hamas atrocities we're hearing about/seeing, ruin any moral high ground he may claim and certainly tempers his criticism of Israel (at least for now). You took my post too literally mdlax.

jhu72 has the right to support whomever he wants, no doubt, but others have the right to criticize. It's just my opinion and you asked mdlax.
gosh, I guess I need to re-read 72's posts...I don't recall him being "supportive of Iran's theocratic fascist gov't and connected theocratic terrorist groups like Hamas/Hezbollah". Supportive???

What posts or positions has he taken that lead you to that conclusion, despite him saying he's not "supportive" of them?

Would you say the same of my views when I say that the right wing government in Israel, and the right wing ideologues who definitely want to simply eliminate Palestinians from the land by any means necessary, are a big part of the impediment to any sense of peace and justice in Israel...does that make me "supportive" of Iran's religio-fascist govt? or of Hamas, Hezbollah?
The posts I'm referring to go way back and are within the context of my direct correspondence with him. It's not as though he starts threads in order to proclaim support as you've seemed to frame it. I should have been more specific but I'm not about to go back and dig them up. Wouldn't even know how. jhu72 is a big boy and he can respond or not.

Question for you. Do you think this is an existential moment in history for Israel?
Only if we think there have been lots of "existential moment(s) in history for Israel".

Certainly this could devolve into such if the war widens greatly and involves much more powerful foes than Hamas. That could make it existential.

I'm glad to see Gantz entering into a power sharing agreement that keeps the far right out of military decision making, as the other "existential" aspect of this could be a loss of constitutional democracy and a turn to full-on fascism in Israel...that could well still happen, but this move appears to reduce that possibility.

It also likely reduces the likelihood of Israel escalating the conflict unnecessarily...towards that larger power conflict that could well be "existential".

But the risks are still there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:06 am these Jews are doing so:

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/20 ... -york.html

tell them to their faces that they are "antiSemitic"
You think because the Neturei Karta are chasidic they can't be antisemitic? Jews can be antisemitic. Blacks can be racists. Gays can be homophobic. etc. And why wouldn't I tell the Neturei Karta to their faces?...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:18 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:06 am I don't think elements of Bibi's current coalition want peace. I suspect if they had their way they' favor escalation...
I don't think you're wrong. But they want escalation so that... They can have peace. They want to make bold, violent moves to end this thing once and for all so that they can have peace. And, I guess, you can say the same for Hamas, Hitler, and many others. They want to wipe the Jews off the map so that... They can have peace. In theory, everybody wants peace. Everyone wants to resolve their internal issue. :) The challenge seems to be finding peace whilst trying to have a low impact on the world and the people around you. Using that criteria, I agree. Elements of Bibi's current coalition, including Bibi, are not concerned about being low impact.
security...not actual peace.

Peace means both sides have an interest in each other's happiness and prosperity and will not threaten such for either.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:37 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:53 am ... You're gonna hitch your wagon to a murderous nation either way...
Do you feel this way about the US, too?
As PizzaSnake said, we've done our share of government-sanctioned murdering. And non gov groups inside the US have done their share of murdering too.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:26 am

You think because the Neturei Karta are chasidic they can't be antisemitic? Jews can be antisemitic. Blacks can be racists. Gays can be homophobic. etc. And why wouldn't I tell the Neturei Karta to their faces?...

They can easily turn it around and say you are Islamophobic.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
NattyBohChamps04

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:10 am When did Arab and Muslim become the same thing? I swear I read Arab by one then immediately translated by another to be Muslim. Either a misunderstanding or a bad faith response. May as well changed the word in Mathums post as well.
9/11 fused the two for many in the US.

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God

It's possible to be critical of both Israel and Hamas.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:32 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:23 am...Or have we dispensed with thinking and moved to being "men of action"?!? Wake me up after all of the "bold actions to preserve their existence" and let me know how the situation is different.
Pizza, It's Wednesday and Israel still hasn't made any wholesale moves. They're doing plenty of thinking, planning...
Reportedly, there have been over a thousand air strikes into Gaza since this began, neighborhoods being razed to rubble, hospitals overwhelmed (of course), official death count...in Gaza... will exceed Israeli death count as of today...all power cut off, water cut off; a quarter million Gaza residents already displaced from their homes...hundreds of thousands of Israeli troops called up, tanks massing.

I think that's "wholesale moves".
All that hasn't yet happened is the actual movement of tanks and troops into Gaza. And what happens from there...

I have no predictions on timetable, but reportedly Hamas's air defense system is knocked out.
NattyBohChamps04

An interesting guide to the Israeli fence surrounding Gaza and how Hamas attacked it. There is approximately 24 miles of total border they walled off. Link to full size: https://i.imgur.com/3GsoSQl.jpg

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

This is true. I also know two racists that are in interracial marriages. Both people make exceptions for their spouses. Racism is not always as straightforward as people try to make it.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:24 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:46 pm News agencies across the globe now confirming that Hamas murdered/beheaded babies and infants at Kfar Aza.
Must be why you haven't added the Palestinian flag next to your Ukraine flag :roll:

jhu72 knows. I've been pointing out his hypocrisy going back to LP. He's always howling about fascism and yet is supportive of Iran's theocratic fascist gov't and connected theocratic terrorist groups like Hamas/Hezbollah. And yet he's anti-religion too? He says he's not supportive but his body of posts over the years, IMO, say otherwise.

I think the Hamas atrocities we're hearing about/seeing, ruin any moral high ground he may claim and certainly tempers his criticism of Israel (at least for now). You took my post too literally mdlax.

jhu72 has the right to support whomever he wants, no doubt, but others have the right to criticize. It's just my opinion and you asked mdlax.
gosh, I guess I need to re-read 72's posts...I don't recall him being "supportive of Iran's theocratic fascist gov't and connected theocratic terrorist groups like Hamas/Hezbollah". Supportive???

What posts or positions has he taken that lead you to that conclusion, despite him saying he's not "supportive" of them?

Would you say the same of my views when I say that the right wing government in Israel, and the right wing ideologues who definitely want to simply eliminate Palestinians from the land by any means necessary, are a big part of the impediment to any sense of peace and justice in Israel...does that make me "supportive" of Iran's religio-fascist govt? or of Hamas, Hezbollah?
The posts I'm referring to go way back and are within the context of my direct correspondence with him. It's not as though he starts threads in order to proclaim support as you've seemed to frame it. I should have been more specific but I'm not about to go back and dig them up. Wouldn't even know how. jhu72 is a big boy and he can respond or not.

Question for you. Do you think this is an existential moment in history for Israel?
Only if we think there have been lots of "existential moment(s) in history for Israel".

Certainly this could devolve into such if the war widens greatly and involves much more powerful foes than Hamas. That could make it existential.

I'm glad to see Gantz entering into a power sharing agreement that keeps the far right out of military decision making, as the other "existential" aspect of this could be a loss of constitutional democracy and a turn to full-on fascism in Israel...that could well still happen, but this move appears to reduce that possibility. -- Like Gantz moving in, would be a hell of a lot happier seeing Gvir and Smotrich moving out. There has apparently been discussions that a unity government might only be possible if the two lose their jobs.

It also likely reduces the likelihood of Israel escalating the conflict unnecessarily...towards that larger power conflict that could well be "existential".

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:01 am

... :lol: :lol: :lol: Get real. I am not supportive of Iran's government. I am supportive of trying to deal with them in some other way than you would, the right-wing non-solution. :roll: I am supportive of the bulk of the Iranian people.

To make my positions very clear:

1) I am not anti-religion -- I am an atheist. I am anti-hypocrisy. I am anti-fascism hiding behind faux piety, faux godliness. You want to be religious, you will have no problem with me - I DON'T CARE. You start trying to force your faith on me or society, trying to have me / others paying for your religion, we will have a problem. I have no desire to interfere with a man's belief if he is living in society in a fashion respecting the rights of others. I have a big problem with Dominionists and those who believe their religion affords or should a special place.

2) Hamas/Hezbollah etc. - I do not support them and I recognize perfectly well what they are. I do support the Palestinians, as I do most oppressed people. I am not going to get more spun up over H/H when I have fascist religious zealots in my own country, backyard, that actually represent a bigger danger to me, mine and my country. You are looking for more virtue signaling, everyone has to say they hate H/H and don't forget Iran, in order to be thought that they don't support H / H / I. It is childish.

3) You react to atrocities any way you like. I don't see the relevance of your reactions or those of people who ring their hands over a gruesome death and find that somehow more noteworthy, more meaningful than a non-gruesome death. Dead is dead, I find it all equally horrible. The reaction you want serves no purpose - other than virtue signaling. It is meant to excite the passions and cloud the mind -- an awful lot of that going around!.

4) I have tempered nothing about my feelings on Israel. I changed my approach to explain my perspective without the offending "word" to an individual who I found a reasonable man.

5) An unprompted bonus explanation - I am not anti-Jewish. Frankly I find the Jews to be very reasonable people, save for many, not all of the Orthodox. I have a number of Jewish extended family members, including two who currently reside in Israel. My wife is also Jewish and my daughter visits Israel occasionally, in the past. None of them are very religious, it is more cultural for them. I don't have a problem with Jews, I have a problem with the Israeli government, and have for the past couple decades.
Thanks for clarifying. But...

C'mon, of course everyone supports "the people". That's just too easy, too obvious, and not the issue. It's the people in power we're concerned with, right?

Based on that, you can tell me you don't support countries/groups in ME that oppose Israel's power until you're blue in the face... sorry, I don't believe it.

Questions for you:
1. Do you want to see Iran become a nuclear power in the region?
2. Do you want to see the Abraham Accords scuttled?

One other thing and what got my attention. Seacoaster posted: News agencies across the globe now confirming that Hamas murdered/beheaded babies and infants at Kfar Aza.

You followed with: ... I have no doubt that Hamas is committing atrocities. And nothing more.

Sounds to me as if you feel the Hamas atrocities were somehow justified?
Last edited by tech37 on Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:24 am

I'm glad to see Gantz entering into a power sharing agreement that keeps the far right out of military decision making, as the other "existential" aspect of this could be a loss of constitutional democracy and a turn to full-on fascism in Israel...that could well still happen, but this move appears to reduce that possibility.

Existence itself has been at risk for all of human history so it’s hardly a moment. Doesn’t seem much different than 20-30yrs ago to me.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well he assumes we’re all soft pu**ies who would never dare while he would all day and night long, haven’t you noticed such declarations maybe 50x in the last five years like this in various topics?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:28 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:37 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:53 am ... You're gonna hitch your wagon to a murderous nation either way...
Do you feel this way about the US, too?
As PizzaSnake said, we've done our share of government-sanctioned murdering. And non gov groups inside the US have done their share of murdering too.
I’m reminded in all of this of Camus’ the rebel and either that work or in the Myth or Sysiphus he references Marquis De Sade’s essays on murder and the French Revolution which I admittedly have superficially read/skimmed (De Sade, I’ve got Sysiphus tattoo on my back because of that book and his works influence on me)

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library ... -the-rebel
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:01 pm

This is true. I also know two racists that are in interracial marriages. Both people make exceptions for their spouses. Racism is not always as straightforward as people try to make it.
And we’ve discussed what many african tribes and cultures do to Albinos.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:37 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:01 am

... :lol: :lol: :lol: Get real. I am not supportive of Iran's government. I am supportive of trying to deal with them in some other way than you would, the right-wing non-solution. :roll: I am supportive of the bulk of the Iranian people.

To make my positions very clear:

1) I am not anti-religion -- I am an atheist. I am anti-hypocrisy. I am anti-fascism hiding behind faux piety, faux godliness. You want to be religious, you will have no problem with me - I DON'T CARE. You start trying to force your faith on me or society, trying to have me / others paying for your religion, we will have a problem. I have no desire to interfere with a man's belief if he is living in society in a fashion respecting the rights of others. I have a big problem with Dominionists and those who believe their religion affords or should a special place.

2) Hamas/Hezbollah etc. - I do not support them and I recognize perfectly well what they are. I do support the Palestinians, as I do most oppressed people. I am not going to get more spun up over H/H when I have fascist religious zealots in my own country, backyard, that actually represent a bigger danger to me, mine and my country. You are looking for more virtue signaling, everyone has to say they hate H/H and don't forget Iran, in order to be thought that they don't support H / H / I. It is childish.

3) You react to atrocities any way you like. I don't see the relevance of your reactions or those of people who ring their hands over a gruesome death and find that somehow more noteworthy, more meaningful than a non-gruesome death. Dead is dead, I find it all equally horrible. The reaction you want serves no purpose - other than virtue signaling. It is meant to excite the passions and cloud the mind -- an awful lot of that going around!.

4) I have tempered nothing about my feelings on Israel. I changed my approach to explain my perspective without the offending "word" to an individual who I found a reasonable man.

5) An unprompted bonus explanation - I am not anti-Jewish. Frankly I find the Jews to be very reasonable people, save for many, not all of the Orthodox. I have a number of Jewish extended family members, including two who currently reside in Israel. My wife is also Jewish and my daughter visits Israel occasionally, in the past. None of them are very religious, it is more cultural for them. I don't have a problem with Jews, I have a problem with the Israeli government, and have for the past couple decades.
Thanks for clarifying. But...

C'mon, of course everyone supports "the people". That's just too easy, too obvious, and not the issue. It's the people in power we're concerned with, right?

Based on that, you can tell me you don't support countries/groups in ME that oppose Israel's power until you're blue in the face... sorry, I don't believe it.

Questions for you:
1. Do you want to see Iran become a nuclear power in the region?
2. Do you want to see the Abraham Accords scuttled?

One other thing and what got my attention. Seacoaster posted: News agencies across the globe now confirming that Hamas murdered/beheaded babies and infants at Kfar Aza.

You followed with: ... I have no doubt that Hamas is committing atrocities. And nothing more.

Sounds to me as if you feel the Hamas atrocities were somehow justified?
Seems to me that it means exactly what he said and speaking for myself - I took no other inference and would ask you why that is apparently your assumption/opinion?

There is historical precedent for the kind of barbarity these extremists conduct and while that does not make the barbarism any less abhorrent, that it occurs should not come as any surprise to anyone. I'd remind you that the Nazis were so skilled at murdering people (mostly Jews but not exclusively) including children and women that they ran out of people to murder....and now we are forced to deal with people who claim it was a hoax.
Last edited by Kismet on Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:40 am
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:00 am Then it follows that Benjie is antisemitic.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1 ... medium=web
He's the Prime Minister of Israel and Hamas is the governing body of Gaza. What's his choice but to work with them. Bibi does not support Hamas...
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas,” the prime minister reportedly said at a 2019 meeting of his Likud party. “This is part of our strategy — to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank.” Bibi is in fact bolstering Hamas by his own words. But you have a good point bcs Israel wanted the palestinians out of Israel before the state was created but had to accommodate other country’s view. All of this is a political knot. There were people in Israel before the Exodus. Israel is not a true democracy either. Though none of that may be known by people whose source is American Media.

At one time thete was a fleeting thought given to allowing refugees to settle in Alabama. We thurned that idea down. We turned them down before the war too.

Lest people try to throw labels this way my first wife was a sabra. I later dated a sabra for a year who lives on a kibbutz near Tel Aviv.

My best friend from college married a sabra w three kids. She was widowed in a “Police Action”. Her brother was head of security for El Al among other things. I bought bonds. I still know people in rhe South where Bibi is not so popular as he tries to avoid prison. The Courts have consistently refused to address grievances for things like murder. The government has over the years used the settlers as a proxy. People line Goldman.

The sabra generation’s writings are worth reading as are the Zionists. David Ben Gurion’s diaries are interesting. There is a saying in the the jewish community “whereever you find two jews you will find three opinions.”

The passage of the Nation State law a few years ago cemented the end of democracy which already damaged over the years. Judicial reform also has a political motive.

What you read in the press has to be parsed relative to the government. There is no one with clean hands in this situation. Having said that the attack was a huge mistake on a lot of levels. Someday we will know why it was made. In the meantime emotions are best not allowed to overwhelm decision making.
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Am amazed to see Jews referred to as "anti Semitic". I post on other websites about the current events and some of that discussion can get rather heated at times. But nobody else (thus far) has resorted to calling or suggesting that some Jews are anti Semite. That's rather unique for this site.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”