Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by PizzaSnake »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:36 pm The intent and purpose of the British was for the creation of 2 states living together in the same land. I don't ever see that happening. That has been the case since the war of Israeli independence way back in 1947. Juruesalem will always be the issue. The city is sacred to Jews and Muslims both. There is normally one truth in all wars... one side wins and one side loses. To the victor goes the spoils.
Jews, Palestinians, Arabs, Christians, etc. all lived in Israel under the British mandate with relative peace for many years. No 2 state solution was necessary. Issues arose when Jews started coming to Israel in larger numbers. For the Palestinians and seemingly more for the neighboring Arab countries. Post WWII, the numbers jumped and there was a direct correlation between the number of Jews coming to Israel and the surliness of the arabs. And the Jews weren't just going to Jerusalem. Heck, the majority of the Jews weren't religious. It's not that the arabs don't want the Jews in Jerusalem. They don't want the Jews in Israel. Little different than the Germans and others didn't want the Jews in Europe. Not a simple answer for the Jews then nor now.
As I said in my posting above, the issue isn't who has a better, more legitimate claim, the issue is that there are too many claimants. Frankly, it appears to be a fairly marginal and inhospitable place, but if too many want the same thing, someone loses. And what they all want, no, must have as humans, is water.

To you point about the nature of what Gaza is, it can be summed up in the restriction of life's single most component: water. The residents of Gaza have been on a restricted "diet" for some time.

"Some two million Gazans suffer from a constant shortage of water, which gets worse in summer. The tap water is salty and polluted and is not fit for drinking. In the absence of other alternatives, residents are forced to use this water for bathing and washing, yet the supply is irregular and unpredictable. For drinking and cooking, they no choice to buy water privately – despite severe financial hardship – and even then it is usually substandard.

The shortage of water in the Gaza Strip and the substandard quality of tap water have been known for years. The coastal aquifer, which Gaza relies on as its only water source, has been polluted by over-pumping and wastewater contamination. As a result, 96.2% of household water from the aquifer is non-potable. Moreover, about 40% of the domestic water supply is lost on the way to consumers because of Gaza’s outdated infrastructure. Due to irregularities in supply, residents have to stock water in containers in their rooftops to use on days when the supply is cut off. The power supply in Gaza is also intermittent, and often does not come on at the same time as the water supply. This limits residents’ ability to operate pumps to fill up the containers. Families that do not get a chance to pump water to the roof before the power supply runs out find themselves with no running water.

The World Health Organization has set the minimum requirement for daily per capita water consumption at 100 liters. This amount should cover basic domestic needs such as drinking, bathing, cooking, and washing. In Gaza, average daily per capita consumption is only 88 liters; in Israel, by comparison, it is more than 200.

https://www.btselem.org/gaza_strip/2020 ... it_for_use

"Energy Minister Israel Katz announces that he has instructed authorities to cut off water to the Gaza Strip.

“I instructed that the water supply from Israel to Gaza be cut off immediately,” Katz says in a statement, adding that the flow of power and fuel was ceased two days ago."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_ ... r-to-gaza/

Such limitations and restrictions are inhumane. Full stop. So, let's talk basic human rights, shall we? Is adequate hydration such a right?

So, 0 liters of water per day, per person, or consume polluted, salt water? Without power for the pumps, is that even available. I understand death by dehydration to be very painful. Having observed my father dying from it as a result of his second wife denying him hydration, sustenance and palliative drugs as she held his medical power of attorney, I can assure you it is torture. Period. Not debatable.

So, free from responsibility and opprobrium for their actions, are the Israelis? You tell me. What behaviors can you countenance? Or, as you say, "you do you."

Most parties here have "dirty hands." However, given the demographics of the Palestinian population, majority under the age of 18, Israel has a hard choice to make. Having grown up under the respression of the past 16 years, that young majority people are most probably, and understandably, going to view Israel as a monstrous, oppressive state.

So, what is Israel going to do? Kill them all? Would that be okay with you? Justifiable?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm "Energy Minister Israel Katz announces that he has instructed authorities to cut off water to the Gaza Strip.
What happened over the weekend is not small. I'm confident that more people than Israel Katz are very angry right now. Angry to the point of allowing their emotions to get the best of them.
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm So, free from responsibility and opprobrium for their actions, are the Israelis?...
Of course not. With this said, see above.
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm So, what is Israel going to do? Kill them all? Would that be okay with you? Justifiable?
Pizza, Israel is going to do what they've done for decades in Israel and for many centuries throughout the world. Survive, protect themselves.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:36 pm The intent and purpose of the British was for the creation of 2 states living together in the same land. I don't ever see that happening. That has been the case since the war of Israeli independence way back in 1947. Juruesalem will always be the issue. The city is sacred to Jews and Muslims both. There is normally one truth in all wars... one side wins and one side loses. To the victor goes the spoils.
Jews, Palestinians, Arabs, Christians, etc. all lived in Israel under the British mandate with relative peace for many years. No 2 state solution was necessary. Issues arose when Jews started coming to Israel in larger numbers. For the Palestinians and seemingly more for the neighboring Arab countries. Post WWII, the numbers jumped and there was a direct correlation between the number of Jews coming to Israel and the surliness of the arabs. And the Jews weren't just going to Jerusalem. Heck, the majority of the Jews weren't religious. It's not that the arabs don't want the Jews in Jerusalem. They don't want the Jews in Israel. Little different than the Germans and others didn't want the Jews in Europe. Not a simple answer for the Jews then nor now.
As I said in my posting above, the issue isn't who has a better, more legitimate claim, the issue is that there are too many claimants. Frankly, it appears to be a fairly marginal and inhospitable place, but if too many want the same thing, someone loses. And what they all want, no, must have as humans, is water.

To you point about the nature of what Gaza is, it can be summed up in the restriction of life's single most component: water. The residents of Gaza have been on a restricted "diet" for some time.

"Some two million Gazans suffer from a constant shortage of water, which gets worse in summer. The tap water is salty and polluted and is not fit for drinking. In the absence of other alternatives, residents are forced to use this water for bathing and washing, yet the supply is irregular and unpredictable. For drinking and cooking, they no choice to buy water privately – despite severe financial hardship – and even then it is usually substandard.

The shortage of water in the Gaza Strip and the substandard quality of tap water have been known for years. The coastal aquifer, which Gaza relies on as its only water source, has been polluted by over-pumping and wastewater contamination. As a result, 96.2% of household water from the aquifer is non-potable. Moreover, about 40% of the domestic water supply is lost on the way to consumers because of Gaza’s outdated infrastructure. Due to irregularities in supply, residents have to stock water in containers in their rooftops to use on days when the supply is cut off. The power supply in Gaza is also intermittent, and often does not come on at the same time as the water supply. This limits residents’ ability to operate pumps to fill up the containers. Families that do not get a chance to pump water to the roof before the power supply runs out find themselves with no running water.

The World Health Organization has set the minimum requirement for daily per capita water consumption at 100 liters. This amount should cover basic domestic needs such as drinking, bathing, cooking, and washing. In Gaza, average daily per capita consumption is only 88 liters; in Israel, by comparison, it is more than 200.

https://www.btselem.org/gaza_strip/2020 ... it_for_use

"Energy Minister Israel Katz announces that he has instructed authorities to cut off water to the Gaza Strip.

“I instructed that the water supply from Israel to Gaza be cut off immediately,” Katz says in a statement, adding that the flow of power and fuel was ceased two days ago."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_ ... r-to-gaza/

Such limitations and restrictions are inhumane. Full stop. So, let's talk basic human rights, shall we? Is adequate hydration such a right?

So, 0 liters of water per day, per person, or consume polluted, salt water? Without power for the pumps, is that even available. I understand death by dehydration to be very painful. Having observed my father dying from it as a result of his second wife denying him hydration, sustenance and palliative drugs as she held his medical power of attorney, I can assure you it is torture. Period. Not debatable.

So, free from responsibility and opprobrium for their actions, are the Israelis? You tell me. What behaviors can you countenance? Or, as you say, "you do you."

Most parties here have "dirty hands." However, given the demographics of the Palestinian population, majority under the age of 18, Israel has a hard choice to make. Having grown up under the respression of the past 16 years, that young majority people are most probably, and understandably, going to view Israel as a monstrous, oppressive state.

So, what is Israel going to do? Kill them all? Would that be okay with you? Justifiable?
... no one was there first, it is impossible to deconvolve a history that goes back to well before the birth of Christ. The Palestinians and Jews cohabitated the area for many many years.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:46 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm "Energy Minister Israel Katz announces that he has instructed authorities to cut off water to the Gaza Strip.
What happened over the weekend is not small. I'm confident that more people than Israel Katz are very angry right now. Angry to the point of allowing their emotions to get the best of them.
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm So, free from responsibility and opprobrium for their actions, are the Israelis?...
Of course not. With this said, see above.
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm So, what is Israel going to do? Kill them all? Would that be okay with you? Justifiable?
Pizza, Israel is going to do what they've done for decades in Israel and for many centuries throughout the world. Survive, protect themselves.
They've already lost. They are fighting with an old man... only losing, no winning. They are doing the same thing the US did after 9-11. They are responding exactly how the provacatuers want them to. Rather than invade and occupy Afghanistan, the US should have conducted a limited operation and left, taking as many women and children who wanted to leave. By this time, we would have a natural solution -- no women, no people. But instead, we were stupid and played into Al-Qaeda's hand, just as the Israelis are playing into the hands of the instigator of this weekend's atrocities. For a nation of smart people they sure are dumb. I had no illusions about the stupidity of the US, for the record...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:10 pm They've already lost... For a nation of smart people they sure are dumb...
You sound like someone watching an NBA game saying, These guys suck! Why don't they just jump over the other players and dunk it! Jews, not just now in Israel but for decades, let alone hundreds of years, have had a full plate. A plate that you seem to know how to clear. What are you suggesting they do?
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:48 pm ... But the majority of Palestinians, I "believe", want a peaceful and prosperous solution that doesn't include expelling Jews from at least a portion of what is now Israel...
I believed the same for many years.
I don't think you need to think otherwise, despite this horrific act by Hamas...but yes, there's a large segment of Palestinians who are fully indoctrinated in extremism and hate.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

It's a large number and, FWIW, they felt this way well before Jews started immigrating in numbers.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

:arrow:
Attachments
IMG-20231010-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20231010-WA0022.jpg (95.46 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:59 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:53 pm ... only Germans can build concentration camps? Concentration camps are built for the purpose of containment. What is Gaza if not this?
jhu72, though I don't know you personally, I'd like to believe that you should know better.

con·cen·tra·tion camp
/ˌkänsənˈtrāSH(ə)n ˌkamp/
noun
a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe in 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz.
Not all concentration camps were death camps. What will the world call it when the Israeli's are done with Gaza. What will the accepted descriptive term for Gaza be? What will the accepted descriptive term for Israeli's be; Jews worldwide? The decent world needs to help Israel save it's soul.
If an analogy has to be made, the better analogy to WWII for Gaza would be the Jewish ghettos, not concentration camps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_gh ... zi_Germany

One can make analogies to apartheid ghettos, but there wasn't the same sort or scale of armed terrorism in SA that has been part of the Palestinian story, moreover armed from immediate neighbors. SA did not have have the same sort of existential threat from its neighbors that Israel has faced.

Germany faced zero threat from Jews.

analogies tend to get complicated...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:55 pm It's a large number and, FWIW, they felt this way well before Jews started immigrating in numbers.
No doubt a large number.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:31 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:57 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:46 pm News agencies across the globe now confirming that Hamas murdered/beheaded babies and infants at Kfar Aza.
... I have no doubt that Hamas is committing atrocities.
Must be why you haven't added the Palestinian flag next to your Ukraine flag :roll:
Where is that coming from?

Russia invaded Ukraine, and has committed massive war crimes, and has declared genocidal ambitions...if an analogy was to be made, and I don't they are particularly helpful, the more accurate comparison of Hamas would be to Russian atrocities, not Ukraine. The biggest difference, however, is that Ukraine is the much less powerful country in that conflict, whereas in this conflict Hamas and the Palestinians they purport to represent are the weaker of the parties.

But perhaps I've missed your point with the rolling eyes... :roll:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:28 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:10 pm They've already lost... For a nation of smart people they sure are dumb...
You sound like someone watching an NBA game saying, These guys suck! Why don't they just jump over the other players and dunk it! Jews, not just now in Israel but for decades, let alone hundreds of years, have had a full plate. A plate that you seem to know how to clear. What are you suggesting they do?
I would suggest they control their anger and think carefully before they make a bad situation much worse. No amount of violence will bring back the dead. Indiscriminate and wanton destruction will just solidify the criticisms they face.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:01 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:59 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:53 pm ... only Germans can build concentration camps? Concentration camps are built for the purpose of containment. What is Gaza if not this?
jhu72, though I don't know you personally, I'd like to believe that you should know better.

con·cen·tra·tion camp
/ˌkänsənˈtrāSH(ə)n ˌkamp/
noun
a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe in 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz.
Not all concentration camps were death camps. What will the world call it when the Israeli's are done with Gaza. What will the accepted descriptive term for Gaza be? What will the accepted descriptive term for Israeli's be; Jews worldwide? The decent world needs to help Israel save it's soul.
If an analogy has to be made, the better analogy to WWII for Gaza would be the Jewish ghettos, not concentration camps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_gh ... zi_Germany -- perhaps. Don't think it is likely in the end to make much difference. Matnum is not likely to like that "analogy" any better, and it won't make any difference to the fate of the Palestinians in Gaza.

One can make analogies to apartheid ghettos, but there wasn't the same sort or scale of armed terrorism in SA that has been part of the Palestinian story, moreover armed from immediate neighbors. SA did not have have the same sort of existential threat from its neighbors that Israel has faced.

Germany faced zero threat from Jews.

analogies tend to get complicated...
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:14 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:28 pm
I would suggest they control their anger and think carefully before they make a bad situation much worse. No amount of violence will bring back the dead. Indiscriminate and wanton destruction will just solidify the criticisms they face.
They don't care about those criticisms this week.

Welcome to the Middle East. It's why I've been saying that we should stay the F out of this region.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:01 pm If an analogy has to be made, the better analogy to WWII for Gaza would be the Jewish ghettos, not concentration camps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_gh ... zi_Germany -- perhaps. Don't think it is likely in the end to make much difference. Matnum is not likely to like that "analogy" any better, and it won't make any difference to the fate of the Palestinians in Gaza.
Correct. The Jewish Ghettos aren't a great comparison but it's 100 times better than saying the Israeli Jews are running concentration camps.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:14 pm ... I would suggest they control their anger and think carefully before they make a bad situation much worse. No amount of violence will bring back the dead. Indiscriminate and wanton destruction will just solidify the criticisms they face.
True and... The Israelis need to defend themselves, protect themselves. There's no way to do this without violence. As they usually do, they'll have targeted attacks based on their military intelligence while, as they've already done, warning the civilians what is coming. Their interest is not killing Palestinian civilians. They're interest is destroying their military assets including their terrorist leaders. (Hamas and the Palestinians cannot say the same.) What will be unique about this insurgence is that there will be an enormous amount of destruction. Not as pay-back so much as, based on this weekends attack, it's obvious that Hamas and the Palestinians stock piled a lot of military assets. Their infrastructure needs to be demolished. Demolished so it is completely unusable.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:46 pm Welcome to the Middle East. It's why I've been saying that we should stay the F out of this region.
You're not wrong. The Middle East is a different world, a different planet. The difference for Israel (who is essentially a western European country in the Middle East) is that, metaphorically, a much larger Al Qaeda is based in Tijuana, frequently attacking Southwest US and, again, metaphorically, just attacked San Diego in a way that I will not type because, for many, it's truly too disturbing to read. i.e. Israel lives in that region. Granted, the Jews were attacked even worse while living in Europe but... The Middle East is a different planet. You can watch the Twitter video I posted above and think, Yeah but it's just one person! and... It's not. It's very much not. And that video's antisemitism is in America. In the Middle East, forget it...
Caddy Day
a fan

Post by a fan »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:10 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:46 pm Welcome to the Middle East. It's why I've been saying that we should stay the F out of this region.
You're not wrong. The Middle East is a different world, a different planet. The difference for Israel (who is essentially a western European country in the Middle East) is that, metaphorically, a much larger Al Qaeda is based in Tijuana, frequently attacking Southwest US and, again, metaphorically, just attacked San Diego in a way that I will not type because, for many, it's truly too disturbing to read. i.e. Israel lives in that region. Granted, the Jews were attacked even worse while living in Europe but... The Middle East is a different planet. You can watch the Twitter video I posted above and think, Yeah but it's just one person! and... It's not. It's very much not. And that video's antisemitism is in America. In the Middle East, forget it...
Folks don't understand how full on crispy-crackers the hardcore pro-Palestinian faction is in the US....until you take off the veil, as you see in this video.

Had a few of these nutjobs in Ann Arbor, protesting in front of places that have NOTHING to do with the conflict. The "logic" they use is full-on toddler strength logic. They all think "you don't know what's really going on over there".....but if you try and ask them about what it's like to be Jewish in Israel with bombs going of in cafe's, they change the subject. They don't want dialog, and THEY (along with their counterparts on the other side) are the reason for all the bloodshed. Idiots who would rather feel "right" then actually ending the conflict and body count.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:42 pm Good video on Twitter: https://x.com/Kevin__McMahon/status/171 ... 62198?s=20
Came here to post that link…. her tone change at the end speaks volumes. It’s also why I posed the question in the tin foil hat thread yesterday.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”