Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by oldbartman »

Barthelme is still learning how to use his size to his advantage. He certainly sees and hits open shooteers with some nice feeds. Hopefully, he will learn to bull his way to getting his hands free and letting it fly at the D I level.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Re this years fyi class, don't forget Synott, who saw good time, and Drennan, who will be great when we need him. Morrow also notched his first block H.
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Bartman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:25 pm Checked out Barthelme, they say he is 6'8" and quite a basketball player at St. Pauls as well. There might be some competition between coaches for his talent.
Looked at a few videos on this list . . . Sam Ward is also a 6'4" lefty. Looks like something in between Aslanian and Knox in style.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 pm Re this years fyi class, don't forget Synott, who saw good time, and Drennan, who will be great when we need him. Morrow also notched his first block H.
Did you mean Mitrow or Marquet?
Both goth their Block H. this season.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

That was meant to be Mitrow, the freshman. Frank Marquet is a senior, but also had a good year ... on and off the field (OBM, it may have been you who pointed out earlier in the season that Marquet and Skretny were elected to Phi Beta Kappa).
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:19 pm That was meant to be Mitrow, the freshman. Frank Marquet is a senior, but also had a good year ... on and off the field (OBM, it may have been you who pointed out earlier in the season that Marquet and Skretny were elected to Phi Beta Kappa).
Yes, Marquet and Skretny made Phi Beta Kappa which when put into perspective with an 11 win season says a lot about the program these days. The overall quality of the student athlete in the lacrosse program is something to be proud of.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Congrats to Chris Aslanian on being the Denver Outlaws 2nd rd draft pick. BJ still looking out for Statesmen.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

BJ? Did Tony Seaman change his name :lol:
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Shows you I don’t follow the MLL. Didn’t realize he stepped down after being Billy and the Rattlers for last season’s title.

Already been corrected on Aslanian too - he SIGNED today - drafted back in April 🤷🏻‍♂️
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

FL-GO -- no worries, NO ONE followed the MLL previously, and now with the PLL, even fewer will follow!!
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

This kid won't hit campus until the fall of next year (2020) but he is EXTREMELY excited to join the program (and his family has upstate roots): https://youtu.be/m754Q0JcvUc/youtube]
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Attended the games in East Hartford last Sunday. Great games and some great talent. Glad to see Hobart alums coaching on the sidelines with Tambroni and Marc Van Arsdale. Although Hobart had some very good talent this year, the level of the lacrosse played by all four teams Penn, Yale, Loyola and especially Penn State showed the separation between our program and the next level. Don't get me wrong, if we can win the NEC and surprise someone in the first round I would be ecstatic, but you really need a Ben Reeves, JD Ilean, Pat Spencer, O'Keefe or Ament to raise the level of play of everyone else ....Cant wait for the 2020 Statesmen season
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

And to think how close we were with Reeves.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

I've been watching the playoffs as well, and the talent gap between the four left in the tournament and Hobart is pretty clear. This is not to disparage the Statesmen at all, for the same gap exists between those four and most of Division I. However, after watching use lose to RMU and their stable of Canadian players, I started to wonder how Hobart competes for players if we can't offer athletic scholarships.

I graduated when the school was still DIII, so forgive my ignorance, but when the lacrosse team moved up to the DI level, wasn't there some sort of condition that colleges could not offer scholarships? If that is still the case, how does Hobart find enough players whose families can foot the $51,000 bill? Or, does the school offer athletic scholarships? Are there financial aid packages available for players?

Does RMU offer full scholarships? A quick look at the university's website indicates that it does, but the language is vague.

Why am I asking all of this? Because if our school does not offer scholarships to lacrosse players (I assume that it is still the only DI team), and it competes with schools like the others in the NEC that do, then I think that says an awful lot about the character of the program and the families that commit to it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Don’t need that evidence to see the character of or little school punching way above our weight in lacrosse, but the short answer is that the total scholarship limit means most kids are getting 1/4-1/2 scholarships which may not be better than grant packages Hobart gives. We’ve also used the Geneva award to keep some talented kids around (Alex Love). The other side is admissions. I can’t speak to that but that is often and athletic equalizer.

Benchmark should be all first round teams rather than final four realistically.

Welcome Cameron Kewley. Is that in the Shenandoah valley region? I love that area, wouldn’t mind retiring around the natural bridge gap/Lexington area or nearby when I retire and love going to our time share up at massanutten.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

For lax, if a school’s program is fully funded (read endowed) they can give a max of 12.6 scholarships at any one time. You can imagine the slicing and dicing this entails along with tough decisions as to which very few you might offer a full ride to. This is separate from need based or academic scholarships. Many of the Ivy’s are very aggressive with this, they don’t give any athletic scholarships but often end up with more kids getting assistance than there are at schools with athletic scholarships. No idea if Hobart is funded for the full 12.6, all of the big time programs are but certainly not all D1 teams.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

the NC$$ decided to not allow Hobart to offer athletic scholarships for D I lacrosse. There are other D 3 schools that have a single D I team besides JHU that don't offer athletic scholarships (all not lax). When I had a conversation with a past President of the colleges he emphatically stated that Hobart gives out MORE in merit and need based aid than if we had the full 12.6 athletic scholarships. In other words, if the parents and potential recruits can understand that their son isn't on an athletic scholarship (bragging rights?) Hobart can actually offer more aid the the NC$$ would if we had the full 12.6. Worth noting to any and all.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

You got it exactly right OBM. So we are competing with area schools like Syracuse that give athletic scholarships, but have terrible graduation rates. If you are interested in playing and graduating, plus a great alumni base that helps you when you get out, then choose Hobart. The problem is that you have to be able to do the work. But if you can do the work, and play, then you are a target to be poached by Yale, Cornell, JHU, etc... Lacrosse is a tough recruiting area because so many of the schools are great academically. If we can get players to see the benefit of a 10 to 1 student faculty ratio, abroad opportunities, a great alumni base, and a perennial chance to win the league and make the NC$$, then we will be in good shape. But the player has to like a small school, in a rural area, far from a major city.
The student turnout is not what it used to be for games, but I attend a lot of home games and regularly see faculty, staff, admin, Geneva fans, there. It is a place you can be known, and when you need help working things out you can knock on 10 doors and find 10 people to talk to. Not sure if PSU, Yale, Duke, or UVA can offer that (not saying they can't... all respect to them ...I just don't know).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Problem is too many alums kids are going all over the place, not just Duke,UVA,ND but also places like Bryant and even a Ryan Korn started at Providence.

We recruited section 3 & 4 pretty well in the BJ & Kerwick years kind got away from CNY and WNY under TW but if tiki notice now we have a lot of major contributors from our backyard-Archer, grimaldi, Madonna, hichheimer, imburgia, drennan, Delphia and Mueller. Reminds me of teams w Sean Murphy, Nick scurried, Pat Meade, Crain, Colburn,etc. need a generation to go by and messers to retire before we get any more kids from west genny as they were pissed about the way Hanna bounced BJ.

Throw in some nice players from co, mass (basically lincoln Sudbury) and Canadians and that’s been the core of recruiting it seems with a few mid Atlantic and Long Island kids mixed in
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Duke UVA 4th q is great. Heading into OT. Go Cavs.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”