Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:03 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... llon/62130
For the fifth time in seven recruiting cycles, Virginia has secured a commitment from the No. 1 player in the class, with the Wahoos continuing their recent hot streak by snagging top-ranked junior Brendan Millon, who announced on Tuesday night.

The McDonogh (Md.) and Team 91 Maryland attackman follows in the footsteps of his older brother McCabe, IL's No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2023, and will play at least two years in Charlottesville with him. Millon chose Virginia after also strongly considering Maryland, Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins.

While many prognosticators long felt that Millon's recruitment would come down to Virginia or Maryland (the in-state power and his mom's alma mater), Brendan was very open during his recruitment. He wasn't always considered a lean to either school until realizing that Charlottesville was where he wanted to spend the next four years. Visits to Notre Dame and Hopkins were eye-opening. However, his familiarity, education, the Wahoos' championship success and their soon-to-be renovated facilities were among the many factors in Millon's decision.
Huh. I feel like Ty wrote that specifically to show how much of an abject moron one of the posters here is
Is this a good thing or bad thing? “ Visits to Notre Dame and Hopkins were eye-opening”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:03 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... llon/62130
For the fifth time in seven recruiting cycles, Virginia has secured a commitment from the No. 1 player in the class, with the Wahoos continuing their recent hot streak by snagging top-ranked junior Brendan Millon, who announced on Tuesday night.

The McDonogh (Md.) and Team 91 Maryland attackman follows in the footsteps of his older brother McCabe, IL's No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2023, and will play at least two years in Charlottesville with him. Millon chose Virginia after also strongly considering Maryland, Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins.

While many prognosticators long felt that Millon's recruitment would come down to Virginia or Maryland (the in-state power and his mom's alma mater), Brendan was very open during his recruitment. He wasn't always considered a lean to either school until realizing that Charlottesville was where he wanted to spend the next four years. Visits to Notre Dame and Hopkins were eye-opening. However, his familiarity, education, the Wahoos' championship success and their soon-to-be renovated facilities were among the many factors in Millon's decision.
Huh. I feel like Ty wrote that specifically to show how much of an abject moron one of the posters here is
Is this a good thing or bad thing? “ Visits to Notre Dame and Hopkins were eye-opening”
Lol are you serious? Read between the lines
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Behind-the-scenes video of Millon's commitment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpn1G9Q-4U

PM was the first coach to call him at midnight. Crawley also called shortly after. Then they visited his house the next day. Hopkins was in his own words in his top 4. Ended up deciding to play with his brother at UVA, certainly can't fault him for that.

Sounds like we had no interest in him. Someone check on Sag A
paulrabil67

Post by paulrabil67 »

A couple question for the frequent posters on the 2024 threat.

1) What time and when is the Richmond Scrimmage?
2) Which seniors do you think will be gone after the 2024 season and who, with eligibility, will use the 5th year?
3) Is our 2025 filled up?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:46 pm Behind-the-scenes video of Millon's commitment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpn1G9Q-4U

PM was the first coach to call him at midnight. Crawley also called shortly after. Then they visited his house the next day. Hopkins was in his own words in his top 4. Ended up deciding to play with his brother at UVA, certainly can't fault him for that.

Love his dad keeping it real at 15:45. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

paulrabil67 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:19 am A couple question for the frequent posters on the 2024 threat.

1) What time and when is the Richmond Scrimmage?
2) Which seniors do you think will be gone after the 2024 season and who, with eligibility, will use the 5th year?
3) Is our 2025 filled up?
1. Well - we know its Saturday Oct 14 - given that Hopkins is playing both the US 20 Training team and Richmond I think you will have to wait a little longer for exact times. 11 and 2 - 12 and 3 would be a guess

2. Ahhhh - interesting question - maybe not the right time for it - but interesting to think about. By my count there are 8 players listed as Seniors where you can see or craft a case for additional eligibility - this opinion assumes in every case the player wants and can financially return which may or may not be true:
Melendez - By all accounts will return in 2025 and will be beyond desparately needed
Smith - Probably pretty fair to say any Blue Jay fan is hoping the qualifications for a medical red-shirt can be met and that he wants to return - he played in 2 early games in 2021
Deans - Clearly qualifies and if he is upright at the end of the season should be pursued vehemently
Bauer - '06's favorite punching boy - DNP in 2021 - On the positive side he was 7th in the team in points (and added 10 points from his sophomore year) He did have the worst shooting percentage amongst the top scorers and he was a member of the 19-20 turnover mid-field group. If he makes another jump in production - say over 20 points - I say yes.
Evans - I personally would like to see 2 more years of Evans - scored 8 goals took his shot percentage up close to 10 percentage points (actually took more shots in '22). AND let's face facts - if Joe Cowan's grandson wants to come back - he's probably coming back
Chauvette - rocky start in 2022 - missed 5 games last year and still scored 7 goals - a couple very important - obviously a brother on the team now
Ince - he will be an interesting player this season - a transfer with size in Aviles - big athletic corp of apparent short sticks being gathered - if he retains his spot on the second SSDM tandem then yes as his experience will be valuable since Martin/Jaronski/Aviles and Raposo ( I would think) have to leave.
Arteaga - Has appeared in 1 game in 3 years - that's so so tough

3. HF '16 posted a little while back that Hopkins is close to done. Logically that makes sense - it would seem to me the "need" in team construction might be at attack. There are not any classic attackmen in the '24 class and Marquis will be a senior and Ayers and Sorichetti and Chauvette will be juniors in 2026. I would not be surprised either way - Hopkins is done at 10 or he adds a couple after seeing someone blow-up Junior year or a decommit whatever.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:46 pm Behind-the-scenes video of Millon's commitment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpn1G9Q-4U

I would like to know why the Millons would lie about Hopkins showing interest in McCabe as we all know the Jays have no interest in 5 stars. PM and JC wait with baited breath for the St. Paul Oracle to issue his list and immediately cross out those 19-20ish players. They do no work on their own and probably should pay TX. That's how it works right Black Hole?

Oh of course then there's the other thing - if Hopkins had really wanted McCabe they would have paid up for him and obtained the commitment. They obviously didn't offer him enough because no one would want to go to UVA even steven - wait... wait . producer speaking in earphone - UVA has secured the #1 rated player 5 of the last 7 years. Oh
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

BS. They probably offered the kid a full ride. Give me a break. Taking a visit and committing are two very different things.
Do you really think it's an accident UVA is getting all these top ranked guys every year?
Hop could get top five players if they offered rides, but they don't want to do it.
Anyway, all those top five recruits and top ranked classes did not help the team all that much when Petro was here, except in 2015. A better balanced roster has advantages.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 am

I would like to know why the Millons would lie about Hopkins showing interest in McCabe as we all know the Jays have no interest in 5 stars. PM and JC wait with baited breath for the St. Paul Oracle to issue his list and immediately cross out those 19-20ish players. They do no work on their own and probably should pay TX. That's how it works right Black Hole?

Oh of course then there's the other thing - if Hopkins had really wanted McCabe they would have paid up for him and obtained the commitment. They obviously didn't offer him enough because no one would want to go to UVA even steven - wait... wait . producer speaking in earphone - UVA has secured the #1 rated player 5 of the last 7 years. Oh
There are other top schools out there that get teams to final fours like Duke, MD, Notre Dame. UVA getting 5 out of 7 top players defies the laws of probability with 60+ programs out there. They are obviously giving full rides out and I suspect, something more.
I have no inside knowledge, but something smells fishy here. I have a suggestion for the NCAA.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well - like a certain public figure - I guess your strategy is to double down on the stupidity and idiocy.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:08 am Do you really think it's an accident UVA is getting all these top ranked guys every year?
No - it's not - it's UVA - a highly valued school for academics, an incredible location, a program that has won multiple national titles in recent years, a head coach with two titles on his resume, a DI basketball power and 18,000 undergraduates
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:08 am Hop could get top five players if they offered rides, but they don't want to do it.
You have zero knowledge of this. It's a beyond idiotic opinion. What would be the point of contacting the NLF and IL's #1 #1 at 12:01 in the morning and then go to his house if you are not prepared to offer him all that you can? Milliman and Crawley aren't stupid. Why waste your time when you know almost every other top program is going to offer him the moon if you are not prepared to? Especially when time could be a factor in someone else's recruitment that in your warped world they might actually really want?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:18 am There are other top schools out there that get teams to final fours like Duke, MD, Notre Dame. UVA getting 5 out of 7 top players defies the laws of probability with 60+ programs out there. They are obviously giving full rides out and I suspect, something more.
I have no inside knowledge, but something smells fishy here. I have a suggestion for the NCAA.
To non Hopkins fans that read this forum - we are not all complete losers and someone dig up Rod Serling because we have entered the twilight zone
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Congrats jhu06, you're back out of the basement of the FanLax poster rankings. A familiar face is back in the cellar, where he's likely to stay for awhile. This is next-level pathology
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:31 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:18 am There are other top schools out there that get teams to final fours like Duke, MD, Notre Dame. UVA getting 5 out of 7 top players defies the laws of probability with 60+ programs out there. They are obviously giving full rides out and I suspect, something more.
To non Hopkins fans that read this forum - we are not all chuckleheads and someone dig up Rod Serling because we have entered the twilight zone
Laugh all you want, but I'm drafting a letter.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:40 am Laugh all you want, but I'm drafting a letter.
Could you post the letter? Preferably before sending?? Maybe we could all help edit - it takes a village.

Perhaps you would also like to do UVA a solid and include in the letter your research on Duke Basketball - I am sure they are cheating too - To wit:
Wilbraham & Monson (Mass.) five-star power forward Kyle Filipowski sits No. 1 in the eyes of On3
Montverde (Fla.) five-star small forward Dariq Whitehead sits No. 1 in the eyes of Rivals
Westtown (Pa.) five-star center Dereck Lively II sits No. 1 in the eyes of ESPN.com and 247Sports
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:18 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 am

There are other top schools out there that get teams to final fours like Duke, MD, Notre Dame. UVA getting 5 out of 7 top players defies the laws of probability with 60+ programs out there. They are obviously giving full rides out and I suspect, something more.
UVA has been the top program for quite some time. They have success, solid education, and a beautiful campus. Lars has the easiest sell in all of lacrosse. UVa is not competing with 60 programs. Its really just a handful at most.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

coda wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:58 am
UVA has been the top program for quite some time. They have success, solid education, and a beautiful campus. Lars has the easiest sell in all of lacrosse. UVa is not competing with 60 programs. Its really just a handful at most.
There's actually probably at least a dozen teams out there with great academics, great facilities and great lacrosse.
ACC teams, Ivies, and a number of others etc.

So I ran the numbers. It's basically the probability of hitting a target 5 times out of 7 given the probability of success is 0.1 (maybe you're shooting artillery or something)

So the probability of hitting the target least 5 times out of 7 would be about : .0002

or about 1 chance in 5000 given some kind of level playing field.

If I confine the analysis to maybe 5 top teams (0.2 chance of success), then you get a probability of hitting at least 5 out of 7 of: .005

or about one chance in 200, or about half of a percent.

These kinds of stats indicate the playing field is not level, or the game is rigged.
Numbers don't lie.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:14 am
coda wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:58 am
There's actually probably at least a dozen teams out there with great academics, great facilities and great lacrosse.
ACC teams, Ivies, and a number of others etc.

So I ran the numbers. It's basically the probability of hitting a target 5 times out of 7 given the probability of success is 0.1 (maybe you're shooting artillery or something)

So the probability of hitting the target least 5 times out of 7 would be about : .0002

or about 1 chance in 5000 given some kind of level playing field.

If I confine the analysis to maybe 5 top teams (0.2 chance of success), then you get a probability of hitting at least 5 out of 7 of: .005

or about one chance in 200, or about half of a percent.

These kinds of stats indicate the playing field is not level, or the game is rigged.
Numbers don't lie.
You're having a manic episode
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:14 am So I ran the numbers. It's basically the probability of hitting a target 5 times out of 7 given the probability of success is 0.1 (maybe you're shooting artillery or something)
What??? What??? Have you ever seen a professional play darts? Ever watched archery or shooting in the Olympics? Do you think the Navy Seals or the Deltas or the Secret Service hope their sharpshooters have a greater success rate than 0.1? You have taken your delusion to a new level. And that's ignoring the 6 million subjective things that could go into a recruit/family making a decision on where Jimmy is going to go.

BTW - Do you prefer electrocution or shark attack as your demise?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:40 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:31 am
To non Hopkins fans that read this forum - we are not all chuckleheads and someone dig up Rod Serling because we have entered the twilight zone
Laugh all you want, but I'm drafting a letter.
cc the hoos football team so they can get some ideas on how to do it.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:56 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:14 am So I ran the numbers. It's basically the probability of hitting a target 5 times out of 7 given the probability of success is 0.1 (maybe you're shooting artillery or something)
What??? What??? Have you ever seen a professional play darts? Ever watched archery or shooting in the Olympics? Do you think the Navy Seals or the Deltas or the Secret Service hope their sharpshooters have a greater success rate than 0.1? You have taken your delusion to a new level. And that's ignoring the 6 million subjective things that could go into a recruit/family making a decision on where Jimmy is going to go.

BTW - Do you prefer electrocution or shark attack as your demise?
I'm sorry Dude, but a p-value of .005 means the NULL hypothesis is rejected.
A p-value of .05 would reject it. This is much much worse.
Red flags would go off in the mind of any statistician seeing a p=<.005.
The NCAA has lots of statisticians, so it shouldn't be too hard to touch off an investigation here.
In fact, these kind of statistics would support a civil case.
What do you say Doc, want to go into court?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”