All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:23 am
a fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:52 am
tech37 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:24 am
a fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:22 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:09 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:09 am
OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 am Scientists responsible for Covid vax received the Nobel Prize
Well that was quick. Normally Nobel Prizes are awarded years after discovery. Jury still out in re to "safe and effective." Time will tell.

Politics in everything I guess :roll:
what "jury" is "still out"???

The evidence of safety/effectiveness is overwhelming.

Would folks like it to be perfectly safe in all cases and perfectly effective in all cases? sure.
But overwhelmingly effective in reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

The "jury" is fully in.
More thoughts from "some guy on substack".

And it would take tech all of two seconds to look at just a few Nobel Medical winners to find out that it's not at all unusual to get the award a year or two after said breakthrough. But why let pesky details get in the way of a substack conspiracy..........
Oh right, forgot about Obama. :roll:
I was going to correct you, and tell you that we're talking about the Nobel Prize for Medicine, and that that award has been given out multiple times within a couple of years for things like the invention of insulin.

But then I remembered who i was talking to....what was I thinking? A man who gets his medical advice from Rock critics probably DOES think that like you, Obama has a "Google MD in all things medicine'. (He does...Obama's speciality is substack dental advice)

On an unrelated note....when you head to the local used CD & Vinyl store to get advice and treatment for your arthritis, can you pick up a vinyl copy of Earth Wind & Fire's Greatest Hits? Also....favor for TLD and me-----ask the clerk if it's true that the fake moon landing was a cash grab to fund Fauci's medical education all those years ago.

Thanks! ;)
Why didn't Robert Malone receive it.....he pioneered mRNA?

Seems the goal in everything is to minimize the value of an award, by awarding it to those who benefited on the backs of others.
Nope; he made an early discovery, but he then went quite dormant in the particular effort re mRNA until re-emerging recently to claim primary credit and become a darling of conspiracy theorists as he argued against taking the vaccine.

Hundreds of scientists advanced the work subsequently over many, many years. Science is all about advancing on the "backs of others", challenging/improving on earlier work.

He does deserve recognition, but was his work truly the most important?
Was it the most impactful in saving millions of lives from Covid?

Huge, huge chip on shoulder, he's prone to falsehoods and conspiracy theories.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ic/619734/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:50 am
OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 am Scientists responsible for Covid vax received the Nobel Prize
Well that was quick. Normally Nobel Prizes are awarded years after discovery. Jury still out in re to "safe and effective." Time will tell.

Would folks like it to be perfectly safe in all cases and perfectly effective in all cases? sure.

The "jury" is fully in.

And it would take tech all of two seconds to look at just a few Nobel Medical winners to find out that it's not at all unusual to get the award a year or two after said breakthrough. But why let pesky details get in the way of a substack conspiracy..........
I was going to correct you, and tell you that we're talking about the Nobel Prize for Medicine, and that that award has been given out multiple times within a couple of years for things like the invention of insulin.

But then I remembered who i was talking to....what was I thinking? A man who gets his medical advice from Rock critics probably DOES think that like you, Obama has a "Google MD in all things medicine'. (He does...Obama's speciality is substack dental advice)

On an unrelated note....when you head to the local used CD & Vinyl store to get advice and treatment for your arthritis, can you pick up a vinyl copy of Earth Wind & Fire's Greatest Hits? Also....favor for TLD and me-----ask the clerk if it's true that the fake moon landing was a cash grab to fund Fauci's medical education all those years ago.

Thanks! ;)

Seems the goal in everything is to minimize the value of an award, by awarding it to those who benefited on the backs of others.
Nope; he made an early discovery, but he then went quite dormant in the particular effort re mRNA until re-emerging recently to claim primary credit and become a darling of conspiracy theorists as he argued against taking the vaccine.

Hundreds of scientists advanced the work subsequently over many, many years. Science is all about advancing on the "backs of others", challenging/improving on earlier work.

Using your logic, then there are very few deserved of the Prize. And why does his non-believe in the covid vaccine have anything to do with this......obviously, b/c it goes against the narrative.

Yes, his work was 'the most' important, otherwise it may have never been brought forth. And from your article:

These two studies do indeed represent seminal work in the field of gene transfer, according to Rein Verbeke, a postdoctoral fellow at Ghent University, in Belgium, and the lead author of a 2019 history of mRNA-vaccine development. (Indeed, Malone’s studies are the first two references in Verbeke’s paper, out of 224 in total.) Verbeke told me he believes that Malone and his co-authors “sparked for the first time the hope that mRNA could have potential as a new drug class,” though he also notes that “the achievement of the mRNA vaccines of today is the accomplishment of a lot of collaborative efforts.”

I suppose we can't give credit to someone that goes against the societal grain. He can still believe in vaccines with mRNA and be against those used to fight CV19.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:15 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

Using your logic, then there are very few deserved of the Prize. And why does his non-believe in the covid vaccine have anything to do with this......obviously, b/c it goes against the narrative.

Yes, his work was 'the most' important, otherwise it may have never been brought forth. And from your article:

These two studies do indeed represent seminal work in the field of gene transfer, according to Rein Verbeke, a postdoctoral fellow at Ghent University, in Belgium, and the lead author of a 2019 history of mRNA-vaccine development. (Indeed, Malone’s studies are the first two references in Verbeke’s paper, out of 224 in total.) Verbeke told me he believes that Malone and his co-authors “sparked for the first time the hope that mRNA could have potential as a new drug class,” though he also notes that “the achievement of the mRNA vaccines of today is the accomplishment of a lot of collaborative efforts.”

I suppose we can't give credit to someone that goes against the societal grain. He can still believe in vaccines with mRNA and be against those used to fight CV19.
Stop groveling for these people….

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/the-l ... a-vaccines
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:15 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

He does deserve recognition[/b], but was his work truly the most important?

come on, youth, why don't you read what I wrote and slow down and listen instead of just jab angrily?

Of course he deserves credit for the early discovery, as Verbeke notes fully. So do I.

I've bolded what I said re giving credit.

But no, his work stopped and others took it up over many years of effort. He had nothing to do with the innovations that made mRNA possible as a platform for vaccinations.

The Nobel Committee have awarded lots of cranks and otherwise embarrassments over the years but usually not when they see the crank and embarrassment coming so loudly as Malone chose to do...his problem is not scientific, it's that he's prone to actual falsehoods as well as conspiracy theories without sound basis.

Malone was not involved in the innovations re vaccinations with mRNA, his work on mRNA ended many, many years ago, so his critiques carry way, way less weight than he claims they should, much less what the 'tear it all down' folks like Steve Bannon propel forward.

The guy is jealous of the success others have had in those many decades since he published that early discovery. That's understandable and indeed he should be recognized by other scientists as having made that early contribution.

But others' work is what made this vaccine possible, (not Malone's work). Nobel is focusing on that set of innovation specifically.

I would bet that if other researchers discover how to successfully apply the technology to cancer, they'll be recognized for that as well.
a fan

Post by a fan »

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

If that’s your argument?

A. He should have won back in the 80’s for his work

B. He would have, between then and 2020, applied his initial work to a working vaccine. Did he do that?

No, others did a ton of work that got us to the Covid vaccine. And if you listen to the brilliant winners, they’re delighted to tell the world that a bunch of people got them to the final vaccines. It’s not their fault they won.

You know better——all awards are like this. I can name a dozen distillers more deserving than I to get distiller of the year this year—-and i listed many of them in my interview. But in the end, you accept the award and move on.

There are ALWAYS other deserving winners with these things. Part of the deal.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

If that’s your argument?

B. He would have, between then and 2020, applied his initial work to a working vaccine. Did he do that?

No, others did a ton of work that got us to the Covid vaccine. And if you listen to the brilliant winners, they’re delighted to tell the world that a bunch of people got them to the final vaccines. It’s not their fault they won.

You know better——all awards are like this. I can name a dozen distillers more deserving than I to get distiller of the year this year—-and i listed many of them in my interview. But in the end, you accept the award and move on.

A. Agreed
B. What kind of craziness is that. Using your logic, everyone should only work on 1 thing their entire life. :roll: :lol:

No one is blaming the winners, only arguing the person that invents something is due credit. Bill Gates, Zuck, and China come to mind.....as they are the face for inventive greatness and then walk around as if they 'really built that'.

"There are ALWAYS other deserving winners with these things. Part of the deal." - Does not make it right is my point.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)
:D Arthritis? Nice try. Although, another example of classless ageism on this board :oops:

Reminds me... how are you doing with your bourbon belly? Did your doctor (whom you listen to) prescribe Ozempic yet?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:07 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

If that’s your argument?

A. Agreed
B. What kind of craziness is that. Using your logic, everyone should only work on 1 thing their entire life. :roll: :lol:

No one is blaming the winners, only arguing the person that invents something is due credit. Bill Gates, Zuck, and China come to mind.....as they are the face for inventive greatness and then walk around as if they 'really built that'.

"There are ALWAYS other deserving winners with these things. Part of the deal." - Does not make it right is my point.
"right"?

Does everyone who contributes something to science deserves the top prize?

Are you arguing that everyone deserves a ribbon who "competes"?

In this instance, Malone does get " due credit" for what he contributed.
But, apparently it's not the Nobel.

And no, people can work on all sorts of things in their lives, but if they don't progress whatever the relevant discovery is to the extent that they become useful, and then complain about not getting credit and even arguing that the work others actually did produced unsafe results...well, probably not going to win a prize for saving millions of lives.

One might argue that if he'd simply applauded others' work along the decades, he might have fared better in the Committee's judgment, but he chose a path that alienated him from that positive view of his contributions.

But he's getting "due credit" for what he did do.

BTW, Gates, Zuck....and China? Really? You see those guys' innovations comparable to China? What "inventive greatness" do you see getting acclaimed by China? Fast trains with German technology? Alibaba?

Why not add Elon to that list?

For that matter, Thomas Edison? Marie Curie?

Heck, what scientist/innovator doesn't "stand on the shoulders of others"?
Heck, some of them flat out copy others' ideas...

Who actually deserves special acclaim in your book?
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:16 pm
:D Arthritis? Nice try. Although, another example of classless ageism on this board :oops:

Reminds me... how are you doing with your bourbon belly? Did your doctor (whom you listen to) prescribe Ozempic yet?
Ageism? No one is happier with his grey hairs and wisdom than i am.

Meh, I was trying to throw out something innocuous, and get to the punchline----I wasn't serious about either.

I assumed I was older...guess not.

Really well, thanks for asking! Down 25 on the year, still going, long way to go. All health stuff related to that....cholesterol, blood pressure, has always been in the green.

My Doc laughed with me and called it "healthy fat", with the caveat that it's only a joke if I get rid of the weight before health indicators move to the yellow----which it inevitably would. Because we both know it's bad. I adore her. And she's smarter than Taibbi. ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:28 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

If that’s your argument?

A. Agreed

"right"?

And no, people can work on all sorts of things in their lives, but if they don't progress whatever the relevant discovery is to the extent that they become useful, and then complain about not getting credit and even arguing that the work others actually did produced unsafe results...well, probably not going to win a prize for saving millions of lives.

One might argue that if he'd simply applauded others' work along the decades, he might have fared better in the Committee's judgment, but he chose a path that alienated him from that positive view of his contributions.

BTW, Gates, Zuck....and China? Really? You see those guys' innovations comparable to China? What "inventive greatness" do you see getting acclaimed by China? Fast trains with German technology? Alibaba?

Marconi or Tesla?

I’m partial to Tesla, especially live in Philadelphia in 1990 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfwqG-jTCQ

(One of a dozen or so bands I saw before 7th grade my dad would take me to-Tesla was with Great White and Badlands at this bootleg amusement park that seemed awesome as a little kid in WNY called Darien Lake .
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:33 pm

Meh, I was trying to throw out something innocuous, and get to the punchline----I wasn't serious about either.

Really well, thanks for asking! Down 25 on the year, still going, long way to go. All health stuff related to that....cholesterol, blood pressure, has always been in the green.

My Doc laughed with me and called it "healthy fat", with the caveat that it's only a joke if I get rid of the weight before health indicators move to the yellow----which it inevitably would. Because we both know it's bad. I adore her. And she's smarter than Taibbi. ;)
The ageism claim is a reductive and low rent attempt to front run legitimate considerations about people who stagnate and think they’ve figured it out while finding fault and blame in others. They also consider themselves the Zarathustra of this realm, the mountain man who’s evolved beyond all else. Let the clown have it.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

tech37

Post by tech37 »

Just giving you a little of your own, um... medicine. Glad to hear you're healthy.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:47 pm

Just giving you a little of your own, um... medicine. Glad to hear you're healthy.
Oh, I know. I earned it....returning fire is always cool with me. Bonus points for bad puns.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

If that’s your argument?

A. Agreed

"right"?

come on, md, why don't you read what I wrote and slow down and listen instead of just jab angrily? ;)

NO, not everyone that contributes earns an award. It should be reserved for those that actually invented the process by which all others benefit. Not sure I can make it anymore clear.

For instance Ben Franklin won the equivalent for 'experiments' only a year later...and yet the guy that discovered mRNA actually works is overlooked.....entirely. I could really care less and my earlier point still applies...the award, IMO, is not all that important any longer because they have minimized its value.
~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

You seem to always look up to the guys marketing for their "fame" rather than the guys doing the work. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:11 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

You seem to always look up to the guys marketing for their "fame" rather than the guys doing the work. :roll:
So way jose'.....I am looking out for the little guy that DID the dirty with success, to allow for further success therafter. … all while he is glossed over. Who you came to your conclusion is behind me.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

A. Agreed

My point with B is: he’s had 30 years to take his initial work, and invent a working vaccine. He didn’t.

So obviously the Nobel prize values the actual vaccine over the initial work—or they would have given him the prize 20-30 years ago. Makes plenty of sense. The initial work didn’t pull us out of a pandemic—-the vaccine did.

Malone is not the only guy standing between his 1989 paper, and the 2020 vaccine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:11 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

So way jose'.....I am looking out for the little guy that DID the dirty with success, to allow for further success therafter. … all while he is glossed over. Who you came to your conclusion is behind me.
You should get a poster of Pedro Medina on your wall since he helped improve the electric chair!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Medina_(murderer)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:11 pm
A. Agreed

My point with B is: he’s had 30 years to take his initial work, and invent a working vaccine. He didn’t.

So obviously the Nobel prize values the actual vaccine over the initial work—or they would have given him the prize 20-30 years ago. Makes plenty of sense. The initial work didn’t pull us out of a pandemic—-the vaccine did.

Malone is not the only guy standing between his 1989 paper, and the 2020 vaccine.
Yes the idea Malone deserves anything is silly. Noise to pretend this is something it isn’t by people who don’t actually effect change or accomplish things in life other than to instigate and destabilize.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:50 pm

The "jury" is fully in.

Thanks! ;)

If that’s your argument?

A. Agreed

"right"?

come on, md, why don't you read what I wrote and slow down and listen instead of just jab angrily? ;)

NO, not everyone that contributes earns an award. It should be reserved for those that actually invented the process by which all others benefit. Not sure I can make it anymore clear.

For instance Ben Franklin won the equivalent for 'experiments' only a year later...and yet the guy that discovered mRNA actually works is overlooked.....entirely. I could really care less and my earlier point still applies...the award, IMO, is not all that important any longer because they have minimized its value.
“If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.”
– Sir Isaac Newton
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”