Harvard 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Harvard 2019

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm watching HBO Real Sports right now

Episode with Soledad O'Brien on male athletes with eating disorders

Harvard's men's lax team "Fat Club" pisses me off no end. So stupid.
molo

Post by molo »

I don't get HBO. Can we get a little more info about it?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm I don't get HBO. Can we get a little more info about it?
This article has a small piece of the total covered. Just has the cyclist. they had hockey and lacrosse athletes on, other male athletes. And they spotlighted a horrifying story about a 22 yr old who died of it.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2653 ... disorders/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:12 pm
molo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm I don't get HBO. Can we get a little more info about it?
This article has a small piece of the total covered. Just has the cyclist. they had hockey and lacrosse athletes on, other male athletes. And they spotlighted a horrifying story about a 22 yr old who died of it.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2653 ... disorders/
Here's a more complete story: https://www.npr.org/2019/03/02/69973387 ... identified
molo

Post by molo »

It would be interesting to see how the male/female numbers shake out. I spent 40 years as a school counselor. In the three high school in which I worked, I don't recall that any males were hospitalized for eating disorders. One of the schools was located in an affluent section of Baltimore County. I had a few students every year who spent some time in the nearby hospitals that treated eating disorders. I worked four years in a high school in a largely blue collar section of the county in which families were far less likely to seek and afford psychiatric services and don't recall that any of my students were hospitalized for eating disorders. In another school where I worked for eight years, the population included a substantial number of wealthy white students as well as a fairly large number of African-American students whose family background ranged from poor to upper middle class. Every one of the students from that school requiring hospitalization for eating disorders was a white female. Access to service as well as culture and attitudes clearly play large roles in determining who develops eating disorders and who is treated for them. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the Harvard students who develop eating disorders came to a large degree from backgrounds in which access to mental health services and comfort with seeking them were factors. If access to health care in this country is unevenly available due to income, the discrepancy is even more pronounced when it comes to mental health.
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks, interesting articles.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

And another: https://www.muscleandfitness.com/athlet ... es-gallery

I've complained previously about this with the lax program. They use (at least as of 2016) a crude caliper test to determine body fat. Really crude and inaccurate. And prone to being arbitrarily used to push athletes to mismanage their nutrition. Totally wrong emphasis as a measure of true fitness and performance level, and chronically applied to ill effect. But it was easy and gave the appearance (but not the reality) of objectivity.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 pm It would be interesting to see how the male/female numbers shake out. I spent 40 years as a school counselor. In the three high school in which I worked, I don't recall that any males were hospitalized for eating disorders. One of the schools was located in an affluent section of Baltimore County. I had a few students every year who spent some time in the nearby hospitals that treated eating disorders. I worked four years in a high school in a largely blue collar section of the county in which families were far less likely to seek and afford psychiatric services and don't recall that any of my students were hospitalized for eating disorders. In another school where I worked for eight years, the population included a substantial number of wealthy white students as well as a fairly large number of African-American students whose family background ranged from poor to upper middle class. Every one of the students from that school requiring hospitalization for eating disorders was a white female. Access to service as well as culture and attitudes clearly play large roles in determining who develops eating disorders and who is treated for them. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the Harvard students who develop eating disorders came to a large degree from backgrounds in which access to mental health services and comfort with seeking them were factors. If access to health care in this country is unevenly available due to income, the discrepancy is even more pronounced when it comes to mental health.
Yup, some don't seek care.

Apparently eating disorders are 2:1 female to male, but among the men, highly competitive athletes are greatly disproportionately represented. But the men rarely seek help.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great win for Harvard. 12-11 triple overtime win against BU.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Great game. BU had a 5-goal lead late in the 3rd, Harvard reeled off 6 straight to take the lead, then BU tied with 1:30 to go. Harvard scores with 0:29 to go, and then wins the faceoff, but BU forces a turnover at 0:19. BU gets a time-out at 0:03. And scores at 0:01! Then 10 minutes of back-and-forth OT (and WAY too many time-outs: there's a rule that needs to be changed) before Harvard gets the winning goal.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 pm Great game. BU had a 5-goal lead late in the 3rd, Harvard reeled off 6 straight to take the lead, then BU tied with 1:30 to go. Harvard scores with 0:29 to go, and then wins the faceoff, but BU forces a turnover at 0:19. BU gets a time-out at 0:03. And scores at 0:01! Then 10 minutes of back-and-forth OT (and WAY too many time-outs: there's a rule that needs to be changed) before Harvard gets the winning goal.
Congrats!

What a crazy set of stats. No one put a shot on cage for two OT's!
Overall, Harvard outshot by a wide margin, despite winning 19 of 29 Fo's and GB's overall, yet miserable clearing % 19 of 27, and awful TO's. 32 TO's!

But goalie with 19 saves. On the other hand, zero saves in 4th Q and first 2 OT's with BU missing the goal 9 times...gripping the stick too hard?) and then 1 save in third OT.

Great comeback.

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mlax/2 ... -19-19.pdf
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 pm Great game. BU had a 5-goal lead late in the 3rd, Harvard reeled off 6 straight to take the lead, then BU tied with 1:30 to go. Harvard scores with 0:29 to go, and then wins the faceoff, but BU forces a turnover at 0:19. BU gets a time-out at 0:03. And scores at 0:01! Then 10 minutes of back-and-forth OT (and WAY too many time-outs: there's a rule that needs to be changed) before Harvard gets the winning goal.
Good win for the Cantabs (archaic?).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I didn't see the game...what the heck happened?

Penn's running on all gears, but ouch!

Penn was up 12-2 at half, 15-7 after 3, then scored 11 in 4th Q?
24-8 in 4th, ending at 26-13.

Sure hope they don't stomp as hard on my alma mater!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I was surprised that Coach Murphy oversaw such a beat down. I wonder if there was some "history" here, or if this is just a result of the shot clock rule.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

So what now?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”