Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:11 am McKenzie Brown to NW. great pick up. Small in size as a defender but packs a punch with her speed and athleticism. Will fit in nicely.

But that's another top MD kid that has spurned the terps. I'm curious as to what MD fans think of this problem because i've been raising the alarm as an outside observer but MD fans have been silent

because right now Maryland's class is closer to Dartmouth than a championship level program and that's a problem
Great kid, super smart and will do thing beyond lacrosse. And she is one of the youngest girls in this age; a good deal of the top 26s are probably older than her, so a ton of

Not sure why this is any more of a "miss" for Maryland than anyone else. Not sure what he final list was, but she did take visits to other programs with very strong academics.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

There has been a trend of top Maryland girls going elsewhere. That's a makes it more of a miss for MD than anyone else because it feels like the landscape has changed for the program and not in a positive light, especially with the on field performances as well. I don't know. just feels like MD needs to be landing these kids. Feels like MD isn't even being considered
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

You can't believe everything you read on the web, but maybe parents and prospective student-athletes consider things like this:

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in ... e-park-md/
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

:roll:
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm There has been a trend of top Maryland girls going elsewhere. That's a makes it more of a miss for MD than anyone else because it feels like the landscape has changed for the program and not in a positive light, especially with the on field performances as well. I don't know. just feels like MD needs to be landing these kids. Feels like MD isn't even being considered
Think today’s kids all want to leave their home state. It’s a different time with social media and everything else. Harder to keep the Maryland girls. Same reason why most of the Long Island girls try to leave NY.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:06 pm :roll:
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm There has been a trend of top Maryland girls going elsewhere. That's a makes it more of a miss for MD than anyone else because it feels like the landscape has changed for the program and not in a positive light, especially with the on field performances as well. I don't know. just feels like MD needs to be landing these kids. Feels like MD isn't even being considered
Think today’s kids all want to leave their home state. It’s a different time with social media and everything else. Harder to keep the Maryland girls. Same reason why most of the Long Island girls try to leave NY.
I have no inside knowledge --it seems to me that the culture at Maryland is tougher than other top schools. Girls not playing keep their warm up t-shirts on, you don't see the fun sideline celebrations. Seems ostracizing to the bench players and those things effect the the social culture of the team as a whole. To me seems like a tough/strict/orderly whatever you want to call it culture from the outside.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:38 pm You can't believe everything you read on the web, but maybe parents and prospective student-athletes consider things like this:

In speaking with other parents of recruits they absolutely take this into consideration. And I know of D1 athletes that have transferred because of crime and safety concerns.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Don’t a lot of LI kids go to Cuse ?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:13 pm
I have no inside knowledge --it seems to me that the culture at Maryland is tougher than other top schools. Girls not playing keep their warm up t-shirts on, you don't see the fun sideline celebrations. Seems ostracizing to the bench players and those things effect the the social culture of the team as a whole. To me seems like a tough/strict/orderly whatever you want to call it culture from the outside.

Interesting perspective I hadn't thought of that. I had heard of culture issues in the program; not for the reasons you described but driven by a few malcontents in the program who resort to bullying/pettiness/etc.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:17 pm
Long Island and Upstate are different states 😂
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I wouldn’t consider two a lot compared to how many are in the top rankings. Plus Cuse is like Canada 😁. Most of the top kids in NY are looking to leave and are leaving. Just like anywhere else.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:06 pm
I wouldn’t consider two a lot compared to how many are in the top rankings. Plus Cuse is like Canada 😁. Most of the top kids in NY are looking to leave and are leaving. Just like anywhere else.
I mean historically I feel like Cuse has attracted many LI kids.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Maryland is the greatest program in the history of the sport. Those other places don't have that. In the past this was enough to keep the best MD kids home. in the mid 2000s, in a 3 year span Maryland was getting around 7 of the best 12 girls in the state of Maryland. Naturally over time, lacrosse has become more accessible and more schools carry the sport and there are more options. But Maryland is still a top lax school and even with that, they should still be getting 3 or 4 of the best MD kids. In the past 3 years, they have landed 1, Maisy Clevenger and that was because of family ties.

A drop like that can't just be the result of there being better options elsewhere. Seems more like a more internal issue. Something is no longer connecting and even the idea of the once great MD dynasty is no longer enough for recruits. Maybe it is safety concerns..maybe Cathy has lost a bit of magic. Maybe UNC, BC, CUSE are now just a shinier toys to say no to. Whatever it is, MD needs to get that number back to 3+ or this simply will not be sustainable because every subsequent cycle, they are falling a step behind in talent compared to rivals. If they fall too far back they may never catch up again. Not sure what the best solution is but next year is absolutely crucial and a good year may help stable the ship. it'll give prospective recruits hope in the future of the program, which seems to be lacking.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:35 pm Maryland is the greatest program in the history of the sport. Those other places don't have that. In the past this was enough to keep the best MD kids home. in the mid 2000s, in a 3 year span Maryland was getting around 7 of the best 12 girls in the state of Maryland. Naturally over time, lacrosse has become more accessible and more schools carry the sport and there are more options. But Maryland is still a top lax school and even with that, they should still be getting 3 or 4 of the best MD kids. In the past 3 years, they have landed 1, Maisy Clevenger and that was because of family ties.

A drop like that can't just be the result of there being better options elsewhere. Seems more like a more internal issue. Something is no longer connecting and even the idea of the once great MD dynasty is no longer enough for recruits. Maybe it is safety concerns..maybe Cathy has lost a bit of magic. Maybe UNC, BC, CUSE are now just a shinier toys to say no to. Whatever it is, MD needs to get that number back to 3+ or this simply will not be sustainable because every subsequent cycle, they are falling a step behind in talent compared to rivals. If they fall too far back they may never catch up again. Not sure what the best solution is but next year is absolutely crucial and a good year may help stable the ship. it'll give prospective recruits hope in the future of the program, which seems to be lacking.
Well they can always transfer in 12 of the 2025 that will transfer out of UNC, ND and Clemson because no way all those kids get on the field. Great job by those three in my opinion.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

My daughter just finished up. I don’t wish this on anyone. Wow that was hard for her. The offer was great. And yes. Tons of ghosts out there. Although I have to say I’m scared to see what the hell happens in two years to make sure the offer is the same. I couldn’t believe there’s nothing written down. Do they ever change?
That would suck. Not like you can go get a new team at that point for the first year.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:35 pm Maryland is the greatest program in the history of the sport. Those other places don't have that. In the past this was enough to keep the best MD kids home. in the mid 2000s, in a 3 year span Maryland was getting around 7 of the best 12 girls in the state of Maryland. Naturally over time, lacrosse has become more accessible and more schools carry the sport and there are more options. But Maryland is still a top lax school and even with that, they should still be getting 3 or 4 of the best MD kids. In the past 3 years, they have landed 1, Maisy Clevenger and that was because of family ties.

My two cents on this as an MD grad and MD native:
I think any program in any sport which is in a hotbed area tries to keep the best kids home, but you can't keep always keep everybody. Some years for MD it's been that way and some years it hasn't. The 2024 and 2025 classes haven't been that way, with 18 commits and just five in-state kids. In the years since the rule change, Maryland seems to move quickly in filling its recruiting classes. I think with 8 this year given what will graduate in 2025, Maryland is probably done for this year. While in-state recruiting has been the backbone of the women's program, the men's program has done just fine getting kids from everywhere.
Now why don't all the top kids from Maryland end up at Maryland? I've posted this theory here before. Despite the methods to grow the game, lacrosse remains an elitist sport. If you're looking for a combined academics and athletics experience, there's probably a dozen top 25 schools that could be a better combination of the two than Maryland. I went to a pretty good public high school in MD and knew a lot of high achieving kids. Maybe one had MD as their dream school. A lot of kids ended up there because despite not looking to go there initially it is still a very good public university and the in-state tuition made it cost effective. I feel like that view is pretty common in the state, and with more of the lacrosse talent concentrating in private schools, it becomes more of a challenge since MD is not viewed as an elite school. Another thing to consider is that the school is not part of the cultural fabric of the state like some other schools in the Big 10 or those in the SEC. Much more of a pro sports area.
I think the Terps could have a pretty good year with all the experience returning, but the biggest issue is the group of fifth years seems to lack the killer instinct that the teams of the 2010s did. Then again, things can change quickly. Late in the 2022 season, ONW was still posting in a thread he made titled "Northwestern WAS a powerhouse." Now, he can't stop singing their praises.
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:38 pm You can't believe everything you read on the web, but maybe parents and prospective student-athletes consider things like this:

I don't think that's it. I'm struggling to find college towns with wlax that have even a C rating. I've been to a lot of them over the years including College Park and most places listed below. Some nicer than others but none that struck me as crime ridden.

Clemson, SC - F
Gainesville, FL - F
State College, PA - F
Chapel Hill, NC - D-
Durham, NC - D-
Syracuse, NY - D-
South Bend, IN - D-
Ann Arbor, MI - D-
Evanston, IL - D
Charlottesville, VA - D+
Harrisonburg, VA - C
Chestnut Hill, MA - C
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

jff97 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:59 pm things can change quickly. Late in the 2022 season, ONW was still posting in a thread he made titled "Northwestern WAS a powerhouse." Now, he can't stop singing their praises.
Correct--modified circumstances beget modified perspectives.

The modified circumstance for the Chelonians is they no longer lock down leads in big postseason games and make them wins. Boneheaded plays and poor decisions during crunch time* have killed them since their last national title in 2019. Does Reese deserve some of the blame for that? Of course. Coach has to take some responsibility. They also no longer have players like Caroline Steele, who frequently stuck clutch goals during the latter half of the 2nd dynasty. Until they do get another money player like her, they'll continue to be, and perform like, a middle of the pack top 20 team, with tepid results at the big dance.

As for the Wildcats--they may also go back to the middle of the top 20 pack after generational talent Izzy Scane graduates next year. We shall see...

* Some examples from 2022 semifinal vs Boston College:

Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Deacon022 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:00 pm My daughter just finished up. I don’t wish this on anyone. Wow that was hard for her. The offer was great. And yes. Tons of ghosts out there. Although I have to say I’m scared to see what the hell happens in two years to make sure the offer is the same. I couldn’t believe there’s nothing written down. Do they ever change?
That would suck. Not like you can go get a new team at that point for the first year.
95 percent+ of commitments are honored. State schools are the most solid as admission requirements are most flexible. If private school, particularly ivies, grades must remain high.
If I were you, I’d tell my daughter “congrats on the commitment. Don’t let up in the classroom. And really enjoy your last two seasons of high school lacrosse—you get to play with your friends in a fairly low pressure environment…and it’s the last time you are basically guaranteed to be playing a lot or at all.”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Excellent post, Kle. You raise some great questions.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”