Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:48 pm Pro tip: Not sure if you've ever tried it, but eating corn raw and/or immediately after husking it just hits on another level, the sweetness and juices just pop from the kernals.....an no its not bad for you, actually better.
Raw corn, tried it (almost forgot to before cooking it) and it's pretty good.
Prefer it hot with butter and salt though.
Raw corn.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

roasted smothered in butter with seasonings is best:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/im ... esize=1200:*
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:11 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:48 pm Pro tip: Not sure if you've ever tried it, but eating corn raw and/or immediately after husking it just hits on another level, the sweetness and juices just pop from the kernals.....an no its not bad for you, actually better.
Raw corn, tried it (almost forgot to before cooking it) and it's pretty good.
Prefer it hot with butter and salt though.
Raw corn.
Love sweet, white Eastern Shore corn. Hot, buttered with Old Bay. Like shore tomatoes, it's a four month treat.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It’s almost PawPaw harvesting time. Have a ton of them in the woods behind our home.

Anyone else partake?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

With all the rain we had this summer in ADKs, a bounty of edible mushrooms to be found...

Hen-of-the-Woods

Bear's Head Tooth
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:49 pm With all the rain we had this summer in ADKs, a bounty of edible mushrooms to be found...

Hen-of-the-Woods

Bear's Head Tooth
I have such a hard time finding anything as much hiking as I do. Lucky you!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:20 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:49 pm With all the rain we had this summer in ADKs, a bounty of edible mushrooms to be found...

Hen-of-the-Woods

Bear's Head Tooth
I have such a hard time finding anything as much hiking as I do. Lucky you!
You wouldn't have a hard time here YA. An amazing year.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Hen-of-the-Woods

Bear's Head Tooth
I know and had bears head, but BH tooth is new to me. That’s looks incredible.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hen-of-the-Woods

Bear's Head Tooth

Nice pics!

I've always dream of owning large amounts of forested acreage with wells, dozens of apple trees, with chestnut or walnut trees, wild mushrooms, and lots of saffron for foraging. Alas, I've been stuck in the Big Cities all my life. Perhaps in another life time ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

tech37

Post by tech37 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:28 pm

Hen-of-the-Woods

Bear's Head Tooth
I know and had bears head, but BH tooth is new to me. That’s looks incredible.

Yeah... it was probably the same thing. There are three I'm aware of, all the same family, all edible. Above, Lion's Mane on left, and Coral Tooth.

A couple weeks ago, a friend and I found this bowl full. There are Chanterelles, Oysters, Hedgehogs, Black Trumpets, Lion's Mane, Bear's Head Tooth, and Coral Tooth. It was a nice haul for one Sat morning. Normally I only cook those I'm certain are safe, the distinctive, unmistakable ones. This bowl had some I'd never try to identify on my own. I trust my friend though...she's knowledgable and careful :D
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

massive food challenge - cute girl kills it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUztz7MYZg

DMac

Post by DMac »

My newest coffee appliance.
Old school...absolutely love it!!!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:44 pm My newest coffee appliance.

Great find!

I bet you can make fabulous coffee and delightful music with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEYjEQ ... ubeOutpost

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Very nice. I stopped using coffee pot and use a French press nowadays.
~Livy

DMac

Post by DMac »

Have never used a French press, must say it looks like a bit of a pain in the asz.
I drink coffee all day every day (well, 'cept for when I'm on the porch of my favorite
watering hole), do grind the beans. Mr. Percolator (figure it's got to a mister with that
phallic like spout....or is that old school thinking?) is keeping this coffee piping hot and
is at the ready.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ziSri3o8Y8
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Interesting that you’re going old school for coffee maker. You have to like the sound of percolating.

I still have my moms Revereware copper bottom cookware from when she got married in 1947, including the percolator. I don’t use it, but it’s a beautiful piece of industrial art. The other Revereware I still use. The ones from 1947, the set she gave me when I left home in the 70’s and discarded pieces I picked up at thrift stores and cleaned up.
IMG_3199.jpeg
IMG_3199.jpeg (102.78 KiB) Viewed 830 times
IMG_3197.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg (95.02 KiB) Viewed 829 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very nice stuff, love it!!
Right on the money, I wanted to hear it and see it perking up in the glass bubble.
Also like the way the coffee pours out of the spout as opposed to Mr. Coffee type
glass pots. Absolutely love it, glad I bought it. Keeps the coffee hotter than my other
one did too. Get a highly recommended from DMac.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Went a little breakfast pizza nuts, one ham, one bacon, both with tomatoes, onion and a variety of cheeses.
Must say, percolated coffee is unquestionably better than drip coffee. Same coffee (use 8 O'clock beans mostly),
different method, and the perked is undeniably better (much). Very glad I bought it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:28 am Same coffee (use 8 O'clock beans mostly),
different method, and the perked is undeniably better (much). Very glad I bought it.
What do you use for creamer? I was using Heaving Whipping Cream before it became outragously priced, now I just drink it 'neat' (aka black).

Another pro-tip and give it try one morning....with my French Press, I grind in a few turns of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to the coffee grinds before the brew. It really balances out the acidity/bitterness of the coffee and IMO, opens up the nuttiness.. a subtle smoother/creamier.
~Livy

DMac

Post by DMac »

Half & Half with a splash of French Vanilla creamer.
Yes, heavy whipping cream has gotten a little nuts
price wise...fortunately I prefer H&H in coffee.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”