Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:08 am Here we go again. Your injecting common sense into the discussion. There is no reason or motivation for either party to fix anything. If both sides wanted it fixed it would have been accomplished after Reagan declared amnesty for illegals in the 1980s. If memory serves me correct fixing the immigration issue at the southern border was SUPPOSE to be part 2 of that little arrangement.
That's right! Good memory.
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:08 am I guess the folks in DC were just too damn busy to get around to doing it. The reality is that despite all the political bloviating the status quo is fine with everybody. I actually feel sorry for the mayor of NYC. He has to cram 21,000 new students into a school system that already is overcrowded and understaffed. They are putting a happy face on it but it is a huge challenge for NYC. If I understand correctly there will still be more new students on the way soon.
No one is even TALKING about an immigration reform bill right now. It's so frustrating.

Apologies to YA for taking it out on him, but I just don't buy all the complaints from the Republican party when they don't have even an inkling of a plan as to how to fix it. Their "fix" is: "vote for us"......yeah, that's not a fix. That's a sales pitch and a lie.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:14 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:08 am Here we go again. Your injecting common sense into the discussion. There is no reason or motivation for either party to fix anything. If both sides wanted it fixed it would have been accomplished after Reagan declared amnesty for illegals in the 1980s. If memory serves me correct fixing the immigration issue at the southern border was SUPPOSE to be part 2 of that little arrangement.
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:08 am I guess the folks in DC were just too damn busy to get around to doing it. The reality is that despite all the political bloviating the status quo is fine with everybody. I actually feel sorry for the mayor of NYC. He has to cram 21,000 new students into a school system that already is overcrowded and understaffed. They are putting a happy face on it but it is a huge challenge for NYC. If I understand correctly there will still be more new students on the way soon.
No one is even TALKING about an immigration reform bill right now. It's so frustrating.

Apologies to YA for taking it out on him, but I just don't buy all the complaints from the Republican party when they don't have even an inkling of a plan as to how to fix it. Their "fix" is: "vote for us"......yeah, that's not a fix. That's a sales pitch and a lie.
What, Abbott’s Folly (floating barrier and razor wire) won’t make everything okay?😀

As long as the polity tolerates this lack of seriousness, this is the shite sandwiches that will be on offer.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:27 am
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:58 am
a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm Okay, I’ll play. What should be done with pharma corps who are de facto drug pushers, e.g. the Sacklers?
Totally different subject.....legal drugs.
Nope, not different.
If "legal drugs", as opposed to illegal drugs and trafficking, is okay then legalize all of them and let Big Pharma distribute (push) them too. No more illegal drug trafficking, not as attractive a country to bring your goods to then. Stop making criminals out of users, deal with the problem with professionals who might be able to help them. How many years have we been doing the same thing now.....there's that definition of insanity, no?
I'm almost 100% with you except for the "pushing"; I think decriminalization and effective regulation of addictive drugs only works when there isn't the same incentive to "push" them. Some drugs need to be price-controlled, carefully regulated, such that there are slim profits to produce but sufficient that generic producers will do so under contract with the government and distributed in a manner through regulated pharmacies and healthcare providers. They shouldn't have the profit potential that led to the nefarious schemes done by the Sacklers and others to "push" addiction. Indeed, the incentives should be to reduce demand, though not through price.

I suspect that you agree with this, didn't mean the "push" that way...
Absolutely agree, the "push" was sarcasm.
Big Pharm is undeniably a pusher of drugs. IMO it should be illegal for them to advertise the way they do....."ask your doctor" for this pill and that pill and all your ills will vanish. Doctors should be making the call what pills his/her patients need, Big Pharm shouldn't be pushing them on America......sooooooo many drug ads on TV, shouldn't be happening.
Prohibition of "illegal drugs" doesn't work, criminalizing users doesn't work. How many decades of evidence do we have to show that that's true?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

One aspect that Mayor Adams is asking for is to let the immigrants work...NYC needs those workers to be working and paying taxes and thus able to support themselves and the system overall; he needs additional federal support in the short term, but the fastest way to reduce the burden is to allow people to work legally.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm Okay, I’ll play. What should be done with pharma corps who are de facto drug pushers, e.g. the Sacklers?
Totally different subject.....legal drugs.
Hmm. Legal opioids are different in result how? Apart from a little matter of IP and co-option of the Medicare system for BigPharma, not much different in terms of chemical composition or production. And please, spare me any comments about purity and safety derived from the FDA oversight. If you believe that I've got some nice bridges you can buy.

Sure sounds like an admission of liability to me. Fcuk them.

"Kroger on Friday said it has agreed to pay $1.2 billion to U.S. states, local governments and Native American tribes to settle the majority of claims that it fueled the opioid epidemic through lax oversight of its pill sales.

The settlement would allow for “full resolution” of all claims on behalf of those parties, the company said in a release ahead of its fiscal second-quarter earnings. Kroger is now the latest retail pharmacy chain to announce a nationwide settlement agreement after Walgreens, CVS and Walmart did last fall.

Still, Kroger said the settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing or liability."

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/08/kroger- ... laims.html
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:10 pm

One aspect that Mayor Adams is asking for is to let the immigrants work...NYC needs those workers to be working and paying taxes and thus able to support themselves and the system overall; he needs additional federal support in the short term, but the fastest way to reduce the burden is to allow people to work legally.
At present it takes 6 months to get a temporary work permit for asylum seekers. They want to make that 30 days. This could have been done weeks ago. Nobody in DC is in all that much of a hurry to change anything. So as it stands right now all these asylum seekers are in a holding pattern and can't do anything but sit on their hands and wait.. Quite the conundrum, we have a huge influx of people who actually want to work. There are a large number of employers looking for workers. This should be a win/win for both sides. There are important policy makers in DC that don't see it that way. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:10 pm

At present it takes 6 months to get a temporary work permit for asylum seekers. They want to make that 30 days. This could have been done weeks ago. Nobody in DC is in all that much of a hurry to change anything. So as it stands right now all these asylum seekers are in a holding pattern and can't do anything but sit on their hands and wait.. Quite the conundrum, we have a huge influx of people who actually want to work. There are a large number of employers looking for workers. This should be a win/win for both sides. There are important policy makers in DC that don't see it that way. :roll:
The politicians don't want to solve the problem. They just want to blame each other as fodder for the next election. They cannot even agree that your suggestion might serve as a place to start a negotiation.

Look at the silliness in TX where the courts get into the act- where the Feds sued the state to remove the ineffective water balloon barrier. District judge orders removal and within hours a 3 judge panel of 5th Circuit vacates the order. Not to mention that the barrier is illegally placed in Mexican sovereign territory

Mindless idiots - all of them
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NY'ers exercising their frustration with the matter, and with AOC who talks out the side of here neck: https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1702711 ... 98739?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:06 pm NY'ers exercising their frustration with the matter, and with AOC who talks out the side of here neck: https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1702711 ... 98739?s=20
I recommend not reading the link…
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:52 am NYC Mayor keeping it real: https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 94545?s=20

No problem right? Just raise taxes....right?
Now in Chicago: https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 41283?s=20
Border Patrol Rep: https://x.com/BPUnion/status/1703413506614182258?s=20]
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

…..border is bleeding out, again. Oddly only men want to see asylum……where are the women and children. It’s almost like the men have received a special invite.

Seems to get stranger and stranger each time the influx ramps up.

https://x.com/billmelugin_/status/17045 ... a82I2GssRg
~Livy

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:10 pm …..border is bleeding out, again. Oddly only men want to see asylum……where are the women and children. It’s almost like the men have received a special invite.

Or maybe they realize what peril awaits, and, being real men, unlike quislings like Hawley, choose not to expose their families to the Texas chainsaw welcome.

Would that our “alphas” demonstrated the same qualities.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:34 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:10 pm …..border is bleeding out, again. Oddly only men want to see asylum……where are the women and children. It’s almost like the men have received a special invite.

Or maybe they realize what peril awaits, and, being real men, unlike quislings like Hawley, choose not to expose their families to the Texas chainsaw welcome.

Then why leave their families with young sons back home to peril....rather selfish, no? Yea.....its really hard to come here, so much so that upwards to 1.5 million/yr are doing it.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:45 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:34 pm

Then why leave their families with young sons back home to peril....rather selfish, no? Yea.....its really hard to come here, so much so that upwards to 1.5 million/yr are doing it.
Maybe they were killed already.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Only took two years and she changed her tune as Gov. of NY: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxdf9OTL ... _copy_link
~Livy

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:46 pm Only took two years and she changed her tune as Gov. of NY: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxdf9OTL ... _copy_link
Gov. Hochul really fouled up with her policy or lack there of on allowing " asylum seekers" into her state. Too many people, too many mouths to cloth and feed, too many people that also need free medical care when they get sick and too many new children to assimilate into school districts already struggling to get by. The governor now wants to create an "immigrant tax" on all those wealthy New Yorkers to pick up the tab. There is one thing that is very true for wealthy Democrats and Republicans alike, they don't willingly part with their fortunes for diddly jack squat. Since they are the folks paying to support these politicians they will fall back on plan B. Plan B is tried and true. You put the burden on middle class Americans by raising their taxes. Let the little peons whine and complain. ;)
FTR Gov. Hochul may be even more stupid than Joe Biden. That is not easy to do. Cluelessness is all the rage in politicians today. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:46 pm Only took two years and she changed her tune as Gov. of NY: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxdf9OTL ... _copy_link
Gov. Hochul really fouled up with her policy or lack there of on allowing " asylum seekers" into her state. Too many people, too many mouths to cloth and feed, too many people that also need free medical care when they get sick and too many new children to assimilate into school districts already struggling to get by. The governor now wants to create an "immigrant tax" on all those wealthy New Yorkers to pick up the tab. There is one thing that is very true for wealthy Democrats and Republicans alike, they don't willingly part with their fortunes for diddly jack squat. Since they are the folks paying to support these politicians they will fall back on plan B. Plan B is tried and true. You put the burden on middle class Americans by raising their taxes. Let the little peons whine and complain. ;)
FTR Gov. Hochul may be even more stupid than Joe Biden. That is not easy to do. Cluelessness is all the rage in politicians today. :D
Hypocrisy of the highest order. This is why I railed against "sanctuary cities".....enforce and respect Federal laws. Immaterial as to whether or not you like all the laws.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:08 pm
Hypocrisy of the highest order. This is why I railed against "sanctuary cities".....enforce and respect Federal laws. Immaterial as to whether or not you like all the laws.
Just said the quiet part out loud: https://x.com/greg_price11/status/17050 ... 52279?s=20

"We're significantly expanding legal pathways to entry so businesses can get workers they need. I've also directed my team to make historic increases in the number of refugees from Latin America."

The first reply to this tweet says it all: https://x.com/greg_price11/status/17049 ... 51022?s=20
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:04 am
Just said the quiet part out loud: https://x.com/greg_price11/status/17050 ... 52279?s=20

"We're significantly expanding legal pathways to entry so businesses can get workers they need. I've also directed my team to make historic increases in the number of refugees from Latin America."
I'll ask my farmer connections if Biden is full of it when it comes to adding policies that get them workers.

Wanna wager on whether he's lying about this, or not? ;)

BTW....if he's not lying? I'm 100% behind this, and so are you and the rest of the forum-----make these cats LEGAL workers, right? That's the overall goal, is it not?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:35 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:04 am

I'll ask my farmer connections if Biden is full of it when it comes to adding policies that get them workers.

Wanna wager on whether he's lying about this, or not? ;)

BTW....if he's not lying? I'm 100% behind this, and so are you and the rest of the forum-----make these cats LEGAL workers, right? That's the overall goal, is it not?
Yep, only if the business owners treat them as they would you or I; its a long shot.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”