OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

William & Mary Coaching Staff Blues

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

From the William & Mary website:

"After leading the William & Mary lacrosse team to its best campaign in more than a decade, Head Coach Colleen Dawson returns for her fifth season leading the Tribe.

Last spring, W&M recorded the program’s best record – and the team’s most conference wins – since 2011. Additionally, a trio of W&M standouts garnered postseason all-conference honors after tremendous seasons. Sarah Cipolla highlighted the impressive group, as she finished her career as the program’s all-time record holder for draw controls (177).

The foundation for last season’s success was built during the previous year when five W&M standouts garnered all-conference honors, which included three All-Rookie Team selections. Additionally, W&M led the Colonial Athletic Association in ground balls per game (20.12) for the third consecutive season, while it also ranked first in caused turnovers per game (9.12) and saves per game (10.69). The Tribe’s ground balls average ranked seventh nationally."

Clearly a case of "winning isn't everything" but it is interesting that the team is having success on the field.

I also want to commend the two posters who wrote about the toxic environment there.

viewtopic.php?p=491795#p491795

viewtopic.php?p=492398#p492398

viewtopic.php?p=492399#p492399

Though one was reacted to in a presumptuous, knee-jerk fashion (what else is new--it's FanLax), the support that came after was good to see. Sadly, it's often par for the course on this forum for those who have been writing here for a while to conduct themselves as if they are the owners and overseers in addition to being the moral compass for the whole. I was glad to see the pushback from both posters. In the mouth of two or three witnesses... For my part, I found them both credible. I hope this new generation of posters will continue to share their opinions and not be intimidated by entitled regulars who'll use their intelligence and learning to insult and bully.

I'm not in any way connected to the program but I do know there are always two sides to every story. Situations involving clashing personalities are always complex and seldom an easy fix. There has to be some kind of fire going on judging from the smoke, however. Dawson's staff of assistants has changed wholesale every year since 2022.

I hope the situation changes. We've all toiled for bosses who were unpleasant to work for. Very stressful. Not much fun.
LTlaxfan

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by LTlaxfan »

Wow, you must be so proud of yourself being so bitter hateful. I guess you forgot that Shula never won a Super Bowl with Marino or after 73. Good thing that post Marino winning percentage got him more rings. Try and stick to what you think you know something about such as lacrosse.
ultravisitor

Re: Like a kid on Christmas morning was 2023 for me, cont.

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:46 am Cats getting a measure of payback ‘gainst the Heels during the regular season proved sufficient though I would have liked to see Northwestern beat North Carolina in the final the way they did BC.
You can always rewatch the 2009 final in which the beatdown they gave to UNC was even worse than the one they gave to BC this year.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

LTlaxfan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:18 pm Wow, you must be so proud of yourself being so bitter hateful. I guess you forgot that Shula never won a Super Bowl with Marino or after 73. Good thing that post Marino winning percentage got him more rings. Try and stick to what you think you know something about such as lacrosse.
I wasn't going to add to this one, but too late. Shula has a great regular season record, but since you bring up Brady as the reason for Bill's success, let's remember Shula's QB's. Johnny Unitas from 63-69, Bob Griese from 70-80 and Dan Marino from 83-95. All Hall of Famers for 31 of his 33 coaching years.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LTlaxfan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:18 pm Wow, you must be so proud of yourself being so bitter hateful. I guess you forgot that Shula never won a Super Bowl with Marino or after 73. Good thing that post Marino winning percentage got him more rings. Try and stick to what you think you know something about such as lacrosse.
LOL! Ain't nobody "bitter hateful" here, junior. I'm enjoying the time of my life as far as William "ol' cheatin' Bill" Belichick and the New England Patriots are concerned. Truly halcyon days for your humble narrator. Belichick has been, and continues to be, exposed as a fraud and a cheater. More and more folks are waking up to the fact that the dynasty was all Thomas Edward Patrick Brady. If Shula cheated the way Belichick did and had Tom Brady as his quarterback for 20 years--trust me--he would have had more rings.

OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:51 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:46 am Cats getting a measure of payback ‘gainst the Heels during the regular season proved sufficient though I would have liked to see Northwestern beat North Carolina in the final the way they did BC.
You can always rewatch the 2009 final in which the beatdown they gave to UNC was even worse than the one they gave to BC this year.
I have watched some pre-shot clock games from the 2000's. They're interesting as a kind of novelty. The sport has changed so much since then. Is there a link to the game you can provide? I might give it a gander if it's a complete game.

The revenge would have been sweeter if it was meted out by the current version of Wildcats--but wInning it all at every level in '23 makes up for it. All debts paid in full.
OuttaNowhereWregget

forthelaxofit wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:43 pm Shula has a great regular season record, but since you bring up Brady as the reason for Bill's success, let's remember Shula's QB's. Johnny Unitas from 63-69, Bob Griese from 70-80 and Dan Marino from 83-95. All Hall of Famers for 31 of his 33 coaching years.
Off topic from my main point, which is that Belichick hasn't won anything except a single lonely playoff game without Tom Brady, and that was way back in the 1990's with the Cleveland Browns. Don Shula won at all different levels with multiple quarterbacks. He went to the Super Bowl with David freakin' Woodley as his quarterback in strike shortened 1982. He also won the NFL championship in 1968 with Earl Morrall.
OuttaNowhereWregget

forthelaxofit wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:43 pm
I wasn't going to add to this one, but too late. Shula has a great regular season record, but since you bring up Brady as the reason for Bill's success, let's remember Shula's QB's. Johnny Unitas from 63-69, Bob Griese from 70-80 and Dan Marino from 83-95. All Hall of Famers for 31 of his 33 coaching years.
You two want to hear some of the dirty details of Bill Belichick's intentional cheating? Check it out:

Lacrossefan2023

Re: William and Mary Coaching Staff Blues

Post by Lacrossefan2023 »

Yes, well said about the William and Mary coaching situation. Where there's smoke, there's fire. She was evidently going to be fired if they didn't end last season with a .500 record. So she was able to put together some wins and hold onto it for now. We'll see. But the dysfunction is real.
LTlaxfan

Post by LTlaxfan »

Lol, like I said. Bitter much! My guess is you played at the NFL level and know first hand of what you claim. But most likely you are a bitter old man with too much time on your hands and can’t seem to remember it’s a lax forum. Please stick to why this forum was created. Looking forward to the fall season and a new beginning for all the young ladies who have high hopes for success along the way.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:18 am
ultravisitor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:51 pm
I have watched some pre-shot clock games from the 2000's. They're interesting as a kind of novelty. The sport has changed so much since then. Is there a link to the game you can provide? I might give it a gander if it's a complete game.

The revenge would have been sweeter if it was meted out by the current version of Wildcats--but wInning it all at every level in '23 makes up for it. All debts paid in full.
BTN sometimes replays the 1st NU Championship Game (2005) when they do NU day.
OuttaNowhereWregget

On Elite Players

user1020 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:03 am
realitychecks wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 pm
lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:20 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:09 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:31 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm Seems like since she committed to cuse some people have tried to downplay her talent. all of sudden recruiting didnt matter or wasnt important.

Think Belle Smith or Caitlyn Wurzburger type of impact. Still elite.
I recall folks talking about Spallina's overhyped status on these boards before she committed to Syracuse.

No way I consider Smith or Wurzburger elite players. (Among others) Izzy Scane, Erin Coykendall, Meghan Tyrrell, Isabella Peterson--yes, elite. The two players you mentioned are certainly upper echelon--but not elite.
In what world is a two time first team all-American not elite? The players you listed are all attackers, so obviously two-way middies like Smith aren’t going to be able to match them from a scoring perspective, but there’s other facets of the game that you’re not accounting for. Belle was literally the only player in the country last season to have 50+ goals, 30+ assists, 30+ ground balls, 25+ draw controls, and 15+ caused turnovers. She has easily been one of, if not the best midfielder in division 1 over the last 3 seasons, so if she’s not elite you might as well say that there are no elite midfielders in lacrosse and only attackers deserve that status.
Agreed. Saying Belle Smith isn’t an elite player is INSANE.
Belle Smith is a fantastic player and BC isn’t what it is without her
Totally agree with everything said. Best midfielder in lacrosse heading into this year and a top 10 overall player her last 2 years. Very consistent player and one of my favorite players ever. Only critique I have is for her to show more in big games. I wish her the best for her senior season.
Belle Smith is right there. Fantastic player--yes. Does a lot of things extremely well all over the field. If she has a stellar senior year, she may move up to elite status in my view. But (and does this really need to be said? Apparently so) this is only my estimation. An opinion. Youse have your opinions, I have mine's.

I can't go strictly off numbers and awards. First Team All-American is not synonymous with elite. There is also the eyeball test. For instance, some players stay out on the field and continue to pad stats long after the game has been decided. Am I supposed to cheer the fact that a player who set the single season goal record is still out there scoring against Radford with a running clock late in the 4th quarter?

Below is by no means an exhaustive list. And in no particular order. Just some other players I classify as elite whom I've ​watched over the past few years:

Goaltenders: Megan Taylor, Molly Laliberty

Defenders: Meghan Ball, Lizzie Colson, Emma Trenchard

Midfielders: Marie McCool, Jenna Collins, Dempsey Arsenault, Ally Mastroianni, Ally Kennedy

And a few more Attackers: Sam Apuzzo, Gabby Rosenzweig, Charlotte North, Kayla Treanor, Livy Rosenzweig, Selena Lasota, Megan Whittle, Kenzie Kent, Caroline Steele, Kyla Sears, Kylie Ohlmiller, Julia Collins, Jamie Ortega, Kristin Gaudian
OuttaNowhereWregget

NULax2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:34 pm BTN sometimes replays the 1st NU Championship Game (2005) when they do NU day.
Yes--I've seen that one. Seems it's the only one from the past they own the rights to or something. It would be nice to see other classic games from yesteryear.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LTlaxfan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:19 pm Lol, like I said. Bitter much! My guess is you played at the NFL level and know first hand of what you claim. But most likely you are a bitter old man with too much time on your hands and can’t seem to remember it’s a lax forum.
This is how you engage in point/counter-point--with insults and presumptions?

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: William and Mary Coaching Staff Blues

Lacrossefan2023 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:02 am Yes, well said about the William and Mary coaching situation. Where there's smoke, there's fire. She was evidently going to be fired if they didn't end last season with a .500 record. So she was able to put together some wins and hold onto it for now. We'll see. But the dysfunction is real.
Thank you. Interesting they set a bar for her. This next season should be interesting. I'll be more aware of the team and how they do since you mentioned the situation. I hope for the sake of the players and fellow coaches and staff that things change--one way or the other.
OuttaNowhereWregget

More comeuppance for Bill Belicheat and the New England Cheatriots

Predictably, Patriots fans started whining after this story came out:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben- ... elers/amp/

Then a Boston talk show host addressed the issue:

OuttaNowhereWregget

Troll Shouters

One encounters Troll Shouters often in all social media/online communities these days. Troll Shouters--whose forebears include Finger-wagging Nana's and Muckrakers. Self-appointed hall monitors all. Using their self-righteous and superior sense of morality (read: presumption) to correct and scold. Vigilantly they search for the "Gotcha!" in hopes of smearing, dividing from the herd and pushing to the margins. To cancel in modern day parlance. If a body says something that offends their delicate sensibilities; that is disagreeable to their way of thinking, or their political leanings--it's an easy (too easy) jump to label them a "troll".

Wikipedia defines Troll as:

In slang, a troll is a person who posts or makes inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages online or in real life, with the intent of provoking others into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception, thus acting as a bully or a provocateur.

In other words, trolling is subjectively perceived. One has to prove intent.

I've seen a couple of examples of this over the past few months where other members have been labelled trolls who've had different opinions and/or different styles of expressing themselves. One enjoys exulting in their team's rich history and another had a different opinion about rankings and recruiting. I didn't see anything trollish about either of their comments.

Some have said, "Don't feed trolls." Or "Boycott trolls." Which in practice means to refrain from acknowledging them. To merely ignore them.

Still others have had good advice about reading and responding to disagreeable sentiments in a confrontational way that also applies here:

"Use the remote." In other words, if you don't like what certain members write, use the remote to change the channel; read something else.

"Just don't read it and you'll be okay." Another good bit of advice. If you don't like how certain members express themselves, don't read what they write. So simple.

I recommend a similar course of response in the face of Troll Shouters, Muckrakers and Finger-wagging Nana's. Don't feed them and don't engage them. Better to ignore them.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Looking forward to 2024 - Schedule Release

Wagner releases their 2024 schedule. I consider this one of the best, if not the best period during the long long night of offseason. Soon the schedule releases will be coming hot and heavy.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Looking Forward to 2024 - Most Anticipated Schedule Releases

I think we’d all agree the lacrosse offseason is interminable. 8+ months is a long time between games. Us fans must find our diversions where we can. One such block of time for me are the October through January schedule releases. Here are the teams I am most anticipating and why:

Denver - I’m interested to see if there is a big difference in opponents after the banner year they just had. Will more teams make the trip to Mile High? Will more top ranked teams arrange/agree to play the Pioneers?

North Carolina - Will they continue to schedule their mostly typical 15 regular season games or will they plan 16 like the rest of their ACC counterparts? Will Maryland show up on their schedule again after being absent for three years? (Why do I think [know] that’s more Maryland’s decision than Carolina’s?)

Clemson - Wondering if they schedule another batch of cupcakes for out of conference opponents. (Add Duke and Notre Dame for the same reason.)

Syracuse - Will they choose the toughest schedule in all of D1 again?

Maryland - Will they go back to scheduling both Syracuse and Carolina?

NU - Who will the defending champs choose to play?

BC - Will BC still play Denver and Northwestern?

All the schedules are interesting to examine. One can tell a lot (or read a lot into—haha) looking at the choice of opponents for each given team. As I say—us women’s lacrosse fans must find our diversions where we can. 😉

Only 126 days till Opening Draw...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”