As to Cuse was always happening
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

I owe someone a dollar
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Lax832s wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:21 pm I am an unranked player in the class of 2025. I live in the Philadelphia area and have played with and against many of the ranked 5 star recruits in my class. I haven’t really attended any prospect camps or showcases besides AU futures and UA underclass all- American games or gotten any exposure besides tournaments my club team has attended. I consider myself a skilled player but have yet to be contacted by any coaches. I send emails to my target list of schools once every one to two weeks and have received little to no response. I am very realistic with my talent and understand that i’m most likely not going to a top 25 program but I am confident enough that I could potentially fit in at a division 1 program. Does anyone have any advice to get myself out there.
Keep reaching out to coaches and attend a couple fall camps at schools you are interested in. Let the coaches know you are coming. It's not a race. A lot of schools are just now getting to tier 2 girls. Yes, UNC, Cuse, Clemson and some others have already scooped up 6-8 girls. Many schools, and many of them in the top 20 still only have 2-5 and are not done. My daughter was a 2021 ranked in the top 15 by IL and didn't commit until Halloween because she took her time and was selective about what she wanted. Yes I know things have accelerated the last couple years, but it's still early in this process. Don't get discouraged by all the commits that are being announced every day.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:21 am Spallina to CUSE. Had to sweat it out there for a while..things got nervy but family was always going to win out. HUGE get for KT

CUSE now with their best class in History. On a normal year they would have been by far the biggest winners and this class would have been best in the nation by a good margin
soory, best recruiting this year is UNC by a wide margin, even with Spallina going to SU.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

whyamihere wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:30 am
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:21 am Spallina to CUSE. Had to sweat it out there for a while..things got nervy but family was always going to win out. HUGE get for KT

CUSE now with their best class in History. On a normal year they would have been by far the biggest winners and this class would have been best in the nation by a good margin
soory, best recruiting this year is UNC by a wide margin, even with Spallina going to SU.
All of which means nothing until the players prove themselves at the college level.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Exactly. Why is Spallina such a great get when several people on this site said she would not start at UNC or BC for a few years. That does not sound "great". Always good to get a top tier player but individual rankings dont mean much until proven on the field. Just look at a few top 5 recruits at UNC and BC.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:54 am

All of which means nothing until the players prove themselves at the college level.
Times 2. See northwestern and jmu and Denver.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

What's with the CUSE hate? i said this recruiting class on a NORMAL year would be the best in the country. this is not a normal year because of UNC's crazy class.

Also everyone knew where AS was going. It wasn't a hard get but an IMPORTANT one because CUSE is getting another great player that will make them competitve for championships
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

GratefulRed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:11 pm
Lax832s wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:21 pm I am an unranked player in the class of 2025. I live in the Philadelphia area and have played with and against many of the ranked 5 star recruits in my class. I haven’t really attended any prospect camps or showcases besides AU futures and UA underclass all- American games or gotten any exposure besides tournaments my club team has attended. I consider myself a skilled player but have yet to be contacted by any coaches. I send emails to my target list of schools once every one to two weeks and have received little to no response. I am very realistic with my talent and understand that i’m most likely not going to a top 25 program but I am confident enough that I could potentially fit in at a division 1 program. Does anyone have any advice to get myself out there.
Hey Lax832s, you are already displaying important skills that will help you advance in lax and life--continuous self-evaluation and persistence. Once this chaotic first wave of recruiting crashes, coaches will be refocusing on the fall/winter circuit to find the players to round out the class. You could gain a little more traction with/attention from your target schools and also the luxury of a little more time to consider your options.

Generally, I think it is better to attend camps at your target schools rather than bigger showcases, but I will leave it to the folks here who are more current to recommend specific events, etc.

Stay patient, persistent and open-minded. Keep hustling in the classroom/community and prioritize your college choices according to how well they will help you meet your life goals. You have a ton of time to find the right fit.

Please keep us posted!
I would suggest two actions:

1. Pick up the phone and call the college coaches you are interested in playing for. Don't leave a VM if they don't pick up, just keep calling at different times of the day until you actually reach them and have a conversation. This tells the coach you are serious about being a student athlete at their school. Anyone can email a coach, but it takes a lot of confidence and maturity to call them and have a conversation.

2. Have your high school coach reach out to the same coaches. Most college coaches are more interested in talking to HS coaches because the HS coach knows you much better than a club director and can have a more detailed oriented conversation with a college coach as to the type of person and player you are.

My two cents.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:36 am What's with the CUSE hate? i said this recruiting class on a NORMAL year would be the best in the country. this is not a normal year because of UNC's crazy class.

Also everyone knew where AS was going. It wasn't a hard get but an IMPORTANT one because CUSE is getting another great player that will make them competitve for championships
I'm not sure it's so much hate of Syracuse so much as it is people thinking it's ridiculously premature to be putting so much stock in a recruiting class. "another great player that with make them competitve [sp] for championships"? How about calming down with the hyperbole for Syracuse or for ANY of the teams and, instead, waiting and seeing how the players and their talent transfer to the collegiate level before making such proclamations?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

ultravisitor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:42 am
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:36 am What's with the CUSE hate? i said this recruiting class on a NORMAL year would be the best in the country. this is not a normal year because of UNC's crazy class.

I'm not sure it's so much hate of Syracuse so much as it is people thinking it's ridiculously premature to be putting so much stock in a recruiting class. "another great player that with make them competitve [sp] for championships"? How about calming down with the hyperbole for Syracuse or for ANY of the teams and, instead, waiting and seeing how the players and their talent transfer to the collegiate level before making such proclamations?
how is it premature? This is a recruiting thread where we discuss recruiting because like it or not, it's important. If we didn't put stock in it, this thread would not exist. great recruiting classes= better chance of success. sure it's never guaranteed. But i don't understand calling it premature when we have data backing this. Spallina is a great player and her being on syracuse will give them a better chance to win as opposed to her not being there. We can discuss players or classes that don't pan out all day long but it really won't change the nature of recruiting.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:38 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:42 am

how is it premature? This is a recruiting thread where we discuss recruiting because like it or not, it's important. If we didn't put stock in it, this thread would not exist. great recruiting classes= better chance of success. sure it's never guaranteed. But i don't understand calling it premature when we have data backing this. Spallina is a great player and her being on syracuse will give them a better chance to win as opposed to her not being there. We can discuss players or classes that don't pan out all day long but it really won't change the nature of recruiting.
Actually, we don't have data as to how she will do in the college game. She literally is not even in college yet. All we have are assumptions. We can't say that Syracuse will automatically be better off with her because what if it turns out she doesn't mesh as well with them--for whatever reason--as some people think she might?

I think it's fine to say that a recruiting class looks good. I never said that people shouldn't discuss recruits. But making any conclusions as to the team's viability as national championship contenders based on their upcoming talent who are just now starting their junior year of high school is pretty premature and neither fair to the recruit nor is it fair to the school/team. That's putting a lot of pressure on them.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:54 am

Agreed. All very interesting, but let’s see how they play in college.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:38 pm To be honest, sounds like you have done your research and have alot of information on all schools. But you're really splitting hairs here. Academically, Yale is the best. Lax wise, Dartmouth has the brightest future. In 3-4 years they will have the most talented team in their history. The Hapgood sisters committed there will be very good lacrosse players. They were key players on the number 1 girls high school team in the nation (Darien) and played the toughest schedule in the country. Dartmouth's 2025 class is very strong so far. I don't have much to say for the coaching but signing strong players despite not having the best season says something about the coach and her messaging about the future of the program.

Academics
1. Yale
2. Brown
3. Dartmouth

Lax
1. Dartmouth
2. Yale
3. Brown

Having followed recruiting and trends, I can't see Brown being better than a .500 team for the forseeable future. Yale will improve with Dowd but Dartmouth has the potential to be what Princeton was a few years ago. or very close to it.

But when it comes down to it, your daughter can't lose with any of these schools. I don't know how good she is as a player but that's also something to consider where she might have a bigger role on the team.
Solid advice, but I would add one more metric.

Happiness
1. Brown
2. Dartmouth
3. Yale

Brown students are consistently rated the happiest in the Ivies in a number of surveys. Part of that is due to the open curriculum which does not require students to take core classes outside their areas of academic interest. No foreign language, math, science, English, history or other similar requirements. Yale on the other hand is perceived as an academic grind where students are often very stressed about completing coursework.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:08 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:38 pm To be honest, sounds like you have done your research and have alot of information on all schools. But you're really splitting hairs here. Academically, Yale is the best. Lax wise, Dartmouth has the brightest future. In 3-4 years they will have the most talented team in their history. The Hapgood sisters committed there will be very good lacrosse players. They were key players on the number 1 girls high school team in the nation (Darien) and played the toughest schedule in the country. Dartmouth's 2025 class is very strong so far. I don't have much to say for the coaching but signing strong players despite not having the best season says something about the coach and her messaging about the future of the program.

Academics
1. Yale
2. Brown
3. Dartmouth

Lax
1. Dartmouth
2. Yale
3. Brown

Having followed recruiting and trends, I can't see Brown being better than a .500 team for the forseeable future. Yale will improve with Dowd but Dartmouth has the potential to be what Princeton was a few years ago. or very close to it.

But when it comes down to it, your daughter can't lose with any of these schools. I don't know how good she is as a player but that's also something to consider where she might have a bigger role on the team.

Happiness
1. Brown
2. Dartmouth
3. Yale

Brown students are consistently rated the happiest in the Ivies in a number of surveys. Part of that is due to the open curriculum which does not require students to take core classes outside their areas of academic interest. No foreign language, math, science, English, history or other similar requirements. Yale on the other hand is perceived as an academic grind where students are often very stressed about completing coursework.
Wait so your telling me as an engineering student at Brown I wouldn't have had to take nonsense classes like English?? I really missed out on that, should have worked harder to get into Brown. I took bowling as a for credit class as part of my degree!! Nothing like borrowing money to pay for bowling class.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:08 pm

Academics
1. Yale
2. Brown
3. Dartmouth

Lax
1. Dartmouth
2. Yale
3. Brown

Happiness
1. Brown
2. Dartmouth
3. Yale

As a parent of a former Ivy student athlete, I could easily summarize each school/program, and its "rep" in a single word, based on how the kids characterize them. Since this is completely subjective and gossip of the highest order, I will refrain. However, "HAPPY" (although perhaps a true statement) is NOT the word that would go next to Brown.
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Don’t know much about Brown’s new coach, but certainly a hill to climb after missing every Ivy League tourney. Heard great things about the new coach though.

As for Yale, I don’t know what your daughter wants but that coach told mine, “you can be a great lacrosse player, a great student, and have an active social life, but on my team you can only have two of those three”. Which is totally fine. It’s her job and she has done a great job recently. But that is why she lost some seniors a few years back.
8meterRip

Post by 8meterRip »

Bystanders wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:32 pm Don’t know much about Brown’s new coach, but certainly a hill to climb after missing every Ivy League tourney. Heard great things about the new coach though.

As for Yale, I don’t know what your daughter wants but that coach told mine, “you can be a great lacrosse player, a great student, and have an active social life, but on my team you can only have two of those three”. Which is totally fine. It’s her job and she has done a great job recently. But that is why she lost some seniors a few years back.
Agreed, historically Brown doesn't have much wlax success to speak of correct? But Coach Dowd is a winner with a proven track record of success as a player and coach. The prospect of being part of possibly something big there is enticing.

That makes sense for Yale, they do seem to be all about business and becoming a winning program now.
Lax832s

Post by Lax832s »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:09 am Exactly. Why is Spallina such a great get when several people on this site said she would not start at UNC or BC for a few years. That does not sound "great". Always good to get a top tier player but individual rankings dont mean much until proven on the field. Just look at a few top 5 recruits at UNC and BC.
AS would most likely not start at UNC and BC because she wouldn’t fit in with their offense. She is a smart, strong and powerful player but is no where near as fast as other top ten recruits. She needs an offensive where she can act as a quarterback and execute from X.
newuser

Post by newuser »

I’m sorry. I’ve watched her play this summer, but I don’t get it. She’s the Charlie Barkley of womens lacrosse. Can you back into the goal and score in college? I haven’t seen it, but I’m not a lax person.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”