Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

laxguy516 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:19 am This means Spallina to Cuse as well
Word on the street is JS wants her in Clemson and AS wants to go to Syracuse.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:43 am
So Spallina can't go anywhere on her own?
Where’s your logic? She’s not mt Sinai or yellow jackets No connection
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 am Interesting to see 3 new commits to USF--Mindy can pull them in just about anywhere she goes--and none for her former Jacksonville team just yet. Last year Jax had some early commits--I'm not trying to read into it yet, but does this team sustain what McCord built or do they fall off?
Former JHU assistant coach Tara Singleton signed on with Jacksonville as head coach back on June 27th, 2022. Last year after dropping their first 3 games, they finished the season going 12-5, won another ASUN conference championship, made the NCAA’s but lost to Florida in the 1st round. Not too much of a dropoff. Typically the Dolphins would win the 1st round of the NCAA’s in years past and then lose to Florida in the 2nd round.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Just had to relay some things that I have heard from the club world (not UNC/BC/MD focused)

Denver is quietly building one of their best recruiting classes ever. The kid from Massachusetts, the GK from Denver, and the middie from long island are great talents that will have continue to keep them at the top of the rankings. Kids see that fun that Liza and crew are having out there and I think they are here to stay as a top 10 contender.

Michigan has finished 2nd fiddle on quite a few top kids, but just committed a goalie that might be the best in class. That coaching staff is fantastic and many think the kid from VA they took is the real deal.

Clemson coming into Maryland grabbing the top goalie and top field player definitely is one of the bigger stories. Quietly building a legit team down there. The fact that Spallina decision has dragged out this long with all the built in advantages that Cuse had to land her is pretty wild to think about.

JMU is killing it by staying true to the type of kid that they want.

Dartmouth is the class of the Ivy. Took a great goalie out of Colorado and landed a legit top 5 attacker in the past few days. With the collection of talent they have there, it will be fun to see them and Penn battle it out in the future. Losing the stud middie from Primetime who was a legacy at the Princeton shows that recruiting is going different down there.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:45 am
Word on the street is JS wants her in Clemson and AS wants to go to Syracuse.
JS is a brilliant coach, but just as much as a business leader as Xs and Os. If that's true, there's a reason.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:04 am Just had to relay some things that I have heard from the club world (not UNC/BC/MD focused)

Denver is quietly building one of their best recruiting classes ever. The kid from Massachusetts, the GK from Denver, and the middie from long island are great talents that will have continue to keep them at the top of the rankings. Kids see that fun that Liza and crew are having out there and I think they are here to stay as a top 10 contender.

Michigan has finished 2nd fiddle on quite a few top kids, but just committed a goalie that might be the best in class. That coaching staff is fantastic and many think the kid from VA they took is the real deal.

Clemson coming into Maryland grabbing the top goalie and top field player definitely is one of the bigger stories. Quietly building a legit team down there. The fact that Spallina decision has dragged out this long with all the built in advantages that Cuse had to land her is pretty wild to think about.

Dartmouth is the class of the Ivy. Took a great goalie out of Colorado and landed a legit top 5 attacker in the past few days. With the collection of talent they have there, it will be fun to see them and Penn battle it out in the future. Losing the stud middie from Primetime who was a legacy at the Princeton shows that recruiting is going different down there.
I would’ve went to Notre Dame as well. Dad Probably not happy.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:01 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 am Interesting to see 3 new commits to USF--Mindy can pull them in just about anywhere she goes--and none for her former Jacksonville team just yet. Last year Jax had some early commits--I'm not trying to read into it yet, but does this team sustain what McCord built or do they fall off?
Former JHU assistant coach Tara Singleton signed on with Jacksonville as head coach back on June 27th, 2022. Last year after dropping their first 3 games, they finished the season going 12-5, won another ASUN conference championship, made the NCAA’s but lost to Florida in the 1st round. Not too much of a dropoff. Typically the Dolphins would win the 1st round of the NCAA’s in years past and then lose to Florida in the 2nd round.
Give TS some time with her own recruits and then we will measure if there is a drop off. She had Mindy's recruits/team last season so no one should expect a drop off yet.
Last edited by intheknow247 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

jff97 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:58 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:40 pm
jff97 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:14 pm Maryland is probably pretty close to filling their class. Currently at six commits, 4 from the four-star watch list ILWomen put out, and 2 from off of it. Those two, however, were at the USA NTDP tryouts where Caitlyn Phipps is one of the coaches. One of the commits in their class is the younger sister of current Terp Brianna Lamoureux, and another is the younger sister of UNC freshman Eva Ingrilli.
They might still be in play for Mckenzie Brown. But yea kind of on par with what we've been talking about. the luster has worn off the program
I think the biggest concern for MD is if the talent in state continues to consolidate in private schools. While being a very solid public university, UMD is not viewed as an elite academic institution in-state. That's even more true at private schools.
Let's be real and act as if HIGH academics is really a reason Maryland might lose out - it isn't...kids want to compete for National Championships. The diploma will read a higher learning institution and it really doesn't;t matter (for most) from where. Maryland's problems are public vs private at all...
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

lax410 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:23 am
NutmegCrunch wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:50 pm
Testudo98 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:11 pm I agree with you Jff97. That’s why missing on Emma P. was a blow. The truth is it’s a fallacy. Maryland is just as good a school as UNC and better than Clemson. UNC doesn’t even have engineering as a major.
I have to disagree. At least in my part of New England, most girls who play lacrosse have UNC on their list of dream schools and you see UNC and BC lacrosse tees and sweatshirts all the time at practices. I asked my own teen which of the top-30 schools she would be interested in if she magically found herself the top ranked recruit in her class - UNC was on her short list, Maryland was not. Girls from our club program fly down to go to UNC prospect days, even if realistically they're not likely to be on the coaches' radar, and that doesn't happen as much with Maryland. I don't know why there's such a love of UNC lacrosse among girls up here but it's a definite thing and it starts from a young age.

Objectively speaking, UNC is ranked #4 among public universities (#22 overall) and Maryland is #19 (#46 overall) in the latest US News & World Report rankings.

As for engineering, it's true that UNC only offers one engineering major (biomedical, joint with NC State) - but that's not really going to be a showstopper for most highly-sought recruits. Aside from Army and Navy, there are few or no engineering majors on upper tier D1 women's lacrosse rosters, period.
Also MD takes primarily MD girls, with a few from NJ and NY. There’s no fan base outside of MD. No older girls from your club who went to MD to play. The younger girls don’t really know MD. And MD isn’t a hot out of state public (like Clemson or Penn State). So if their MD pipeline is drying up, they’d be wise to build their brand outside the state.
THIS!!!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

flushlax77 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:04 am Just had to relay some things that I have heard from the club world (not UNC/BC/MD focused)

nailed all points. I would add CUSE and ND as well to the list of winners. On paper this is already CUSE's best class ever. Surpasing even last year's loaded class. Always thought they would do well but they have surpassed my expectations. girls want to play for Kayla. If they land spalinna, honestly i can see them vaulting BC as second in the ACC in the future and that elusive championship may not be so far away.

Notre Dame has been extremely impressive. Granted they have always been a destination for top talent but never been able to put it together. Could that change? maybe.

In the ACC it's a which came first the chicken or the egg type situation because even though your team is getting better with these recruits..so is everyone else..so yes teams are getting better but that also means it'll become harder to win
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:38 pm

nailed all points. I would add CUSE and ND as well to the list of winners. On paper this is already CUSE's best class ever. Surpasing even last year's loaded class. Always thought they would do well but they have surpassed my expectations. girls want to play for Kayla. If they land spalinna, honestly i can see them vaulting BC as second in the ACC in the future and that elusive championship may not be so far away.

Notre Dame has been extremely impressive. Granted they have always been a destination for top talent but never been able to put it together. Could that change? maybe.

In the ACC it's a which came first the chicken or the egg type situation because even though your team is getting better with these recruits..so is everyone else..so yes teams are getting better but that also means it'll become harder to win
Your point brings up a good question...
Out of all the ACC teams, who has recruited the best and performed the least?
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Liza is top notch for sure--her kids buy in and the background of Denver is a great draw for many kids. The winning and competing for championships is what finally flipped the switch, allowing her to bring in great recruits. The big knock previously is that no kids from the East Coast wanted to travel that far from home--from her last few recruiting classes, that's demonstrably false. They stay a top 10 contender, but they need more offensive firepower to compete for the top 3 spots.

Let's hope the Michigan goalie situation wasn't a repeat of what happened last year. Hannah does a pretty good job with her team. They've managed to snag some great gets from the 2022 and 2024 classes (um Jill Smith anyone?), which will only help them in the long run, , but they will still have a hard time getting past Northwestern.

Ah Dartmouth. Amazing school, great place to find a partner that will be in the top 1% of earners in the country (or become that top 1% yourself), but their lax team is seriously lacking. I'm not expecting a huge improvement over 6-9 or 50-50 for quite a few years. Maybe these recruits help, but we still aren't seeing an uptick until 2026 or 2027 at the earliest.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:04 pm

I'd put Duke towards the top of that list. Some great recruits, but 1-8 in conference play? oof.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

without a question that would be Notre Dame. She can recruit but she can't coach
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

ND for sure tops the list. There was a time ND was beating out top schools for recruits. Andie Aldave and Kasey Choma come to mind. Fantastic tewaaraton caliber players that never reached their full potential because of poor coaching. Every now and then the talent would shine through but never consistently.

Duke is second. I think Duke holds the record for the number of consecutive years with a top 10 recruiting class since like 2006 or something like that. Long before BC and UNC and even CUSE got good Duke was out recruiting them all. Need i say more? says all you need to know.

UVA gets an honorable mention. They don't land elite talent like Duke and ND but they have loaded up on Good, solid talent for years. On par with peer schools like JMU and SB. Yet both of those programs have surpassed UVA. That may change with the new coach but it just feels like they won't happen anytime soon
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:07 pm

I'd put Duke towards the top of that list. Some great recruits, but 1-8 in conference play? oof.
To be fair, they were down to walk-ons at goal. If their top 2 weren't injured for a majority of the season, they would have been a top 10-15 team last season.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:36 pm

ND for sure tops the list. There was a time ND was beating out top schools for recruits. Andie Aldave and Kasey Choma come to mind. Fantastic tewaaraton caliber players that never reached their full potential because of poor coaching. Every now and then the talent would shine through but never consistently.

Duke is second. I think Duke holds the record for the number of consecutive years with a top 10 recruiting class since like 2006 or something like that. Long before BC and UNC and even CUSE got good Duke was out recruiting them all. Need i say more? says all you need to know.

UVA gets an honorable mention. They don't land elite talent like Duke and ND but they have loaded up on Good, solid talent for years. On par with peer schools like JMU and SB. Yet both of those programs have surpassed UVA. That may change with the new coach but it just feels like they won't happen anytime soon
Does anyone know if the new UVA coach from Towson will continue a similar style as Myers, e.g. up tempo small ball? Or will she go to a more typical ACC style build around more physical attackers.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:16 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:07 pm

To be fair, they were down to walk-ons at goal. If their top 2 weren't injured for a majority of the season, they would have been a top 10-15 team last season.
Duke had 5 goalies on the roster--who exactly are these "walk-ons?" Drebing wasn't a walk-on and in looking at the roster and given they had FIVE GOALIES on the roster, that's on Duke for not figuring this out. It's never just a goalie that results in a team being 1-8 in conference play, given the numbers posted by the goalies, which are considered average for college level play.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm Duke had 5 goalies on the roster--who exactly are these "walk-ons?" Drebing wasn't a walk-on and in looking at the roster and given they had FIVE GOALIES on the roster, that's on Duke for not figuring this out. It's never just a goalie that results in a team being 1-8 in conference play, given the numbers posted by the goalies, which are considered average for college level play.
Well said.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:36 pm

Interesting assessment.

So flipping it, who has accomplished more with less talent?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”