York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2024

Post by DeepPocket »

I think, with respect to the goalie position given the statistics from last season, week one of fall ball is early to declare the position locked down.

Last year marked the first time this team didn’t have AA caliber goaltending since 2013. They’ve proven themselves open to finding the starter both as incoming freshmen, like Abney in 2013 and Michael in 2019, as well as waiting their turn down the depth chart like Marshall in 2017.

May the best man get the nod to start.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:38 pm I think, with respect to the goalie position given the statistics from last season, week one of fall ball is early to declare the position locked down.

Last year marked the first time this team didn’t have AA caliber goaltending since 2013. They’ve proven themselves open to finding the starter both as incoming freshmen, like Abney in 2013 and Michael in 2019, as well as waiting their turn down the depth chart like Marshall in 2017.

May the best man get the nod to start.
The Jersey kid is a good goalie, I wouldn't count him out.
Polegoal

Post by Polegoal »

TopCheddar wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:45 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:51 pm
TopCheddar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:02 am Goalie position is locked. Definitely going to be #0.
Bold prediction. What do you have for the other spots?
I don't think it's that bold honestly. Keller started to heat up as the season went on after filling in for Callinan. I saw some amazing games out of #0 last season: Stevenson (Both games), Cabrini, Tufts. Senior year is going to light a bigger fire under him. If not, #8 Apel is the next guy up.

Locked in for other spots, I think obviously some of the main guys from last year.
#23 is the best Fogo in the country, #43 Blackmon is a true threat to other teams. #35 Biava gets better and wiser every game, he will be THE GUY his senior year for lock down. His checks and 1v1 game has unreal All-American potential. #20 Mentzer, #19 Shields, and #21 Sock is a great lineup of D middies. Shields and Sock thankfully are only juniors. Harnick #28 is a lock at right attack. I honestly think the first middie line will be #7, Keough (Transfer), and then that final lefty spot will be a competition. #22 McCarver and #44 Fisher are the top for that spot.

Attack is where it gets interesting. Going to be a wayyyyyyy younger offense. Harnick and two guys who want to play and will earn their spot during fallball. We will see who gets the start at the Alumni game, that being said: this means nothing till spring. You have to play consistent to get those minutes in the spring.

I am also truly curious what the wing play will look like. The LSM spot is open. Big shoes to fill. Any thoughts?
LSM will probably be Rutledge with Ruebling and as of grass also in the mix. I am head that the freshman could start at close and that they have some depth now at ssdm.

I would bet that Russo and Townsend get the first run at attack but I am hear that Berard, Hines and Kaplan are all flashing at attack but can also play middie. Do not sleep on Colton Marhoney, big athletic kid.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:00 am
TopCheddar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:02 am Goalie position is locked. Definitely going to be #0.
I don't think it's that bold honestly. Keller started to heat up as the season went on after filling in for Callinan. I saw some amazing games out of #0 last season: Stevenson (Both games), Cabrini, Tufts. Senior year is going to light a bigger fire under him. If not, #8 Apel is the next guy up.
No disrespect to #0 but he went 33% against Tufts and had 11 saves against Stevenson.. sure he’s a good goalie but in what world does that classify as “amazing”
Guess we will see who is starting in the spring, Laxguy703.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

Polegoal wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:56 am

Locked in for other spots, I think obviously some of the main guys from last year.
#23 is the best Fogo in the country, #43 Blackmon is a true threat to other teams. #35 Biava gets better and wiser every game, he will be THE GUY his senior year for lock down. His checks and 1v1 game has unreal All-American potential. #20 Mentzer, #19 Shields, and #21 Sock is a great lineup of D middies. Shields and Sock thankfully are only juniors. Harnick #28 is a lock at right attack. I honestly think the first middie line will be #7, Keough (Transfer), and then that final lefty spot will be a competition. #22 McCarver and #44 Fisher are the top for that spot.

Attack is where it gets interesting. Going to be a wayyyyyyy younger offense. Harnick and two guys who want to play and will earn their spot during fallball. We will see who gets the start at the Alumni game, that being said: this means nothing till spring. You have to play consistent to get those minutes in the spring.

I am also truly curious what the wing play will look like. The LSM spot is open. Big shoes to fill. Any thoughts?
LSM will probably be Rutledge with Ruebling and as of grass also in the mix. I am head that the freshman could start at close and that they have some depth now at ssdm.

I would bet that Russo and Townsend get the first run at attack but I am hear that Berard, Hines and Kaplan are all flashing at attack but can also play middie. Do not sleep on Colton Marhoney, big athletic kid.
I predict Rutledge at starting, Ruebling, and Snodgrass both behind him but still getting good minutes. Rotation of the new freshman too.

I believe that Russo will lock in the X spot next to Harnick. Competition for left wing is high. Need a dominant dodger and someone that can move the ball. Hines could lock in that starting spot.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

TopCheddar wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:34 am
Polegoal wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:56 am

I predict Rutledge at starting, Ruebling, and Snodgrass both behind him but still getting good minutes. Rotation of the new freshman too.

I believe that Russo will lock in the X spot next to Harnick. Competition for left wing is high. Need a dominant dodger and someone that can move the ball. Hines could lock in that starting spot.
I think you're right about the LSM spots but, it is interesting that you specifically named Hines at attack, as I have heard a few different names which can only be good, but I would not count out Townsend I believe he was the thirst leading scorer as a part-time player.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

TopCheddar wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:29 am
No disrespect to #0 but he went 33% against Tufts and had 11 saves against Stevenson.. sure he’s a good goalie but in what world does that classify as “amazing”
I would expect it would be #0 as he is a returning starter going into his senior year. I just thought it was funny saying he had an “amazing” performance against Tufts when he gave up 21 goals and had 11 saves.
AshHull

Post by AshHull »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:45 am
I would expect it would be #0 as he is a returning starter going into his senior year. I just thought it was funny saying he had an “amazing” performance against Tufts when he gave up 21 goals and had 11 saves.
Not sure if you hate on the goalie for that Tufts game... York got humiliated in every aspect of the game.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

AshHull wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:35 pm Not sure if you hate on the goalie for that Tufts game... York got humiliated in every aspect of the game.
In that game #1 ranked Tufts was the every bit the buzz-saw they had been advertised as all year.

It will be exciting to see who settles into the starting goalie role for York this season. There is a lot of talent down that bench at every position.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

AshHull wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:35 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:45 am
Not sure if you hate on the goalie for that Tufts game... York got humiliated in every aspect of the game.
I’m just referring to the OP saying the goalie played amazing…. No one played amazing in that game and it shows on the scoreboard
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I would actually expect a lot of fluidity in this team this year as several really good players have graduated. But, as Deepocket says there is still plenty left in the cupboard. I would assume that you will see a bunch of the new faces playing this fall, as guys like Keough, Berard, Hines, and Kaplan pop on offense.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Is it safe to say that York is in a rebuilding phase? New O and D COs. Both first year coaches.
Only 2 of 6 returning on offense
3 of 6 returning on defense
40% of the roster are first year players

Will be interesting to see where they shake out. But at this point, it’s too early to tell if this will be a top 10 team, or a team that struggles to win the MAC
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:42 pm Is it safe to say that York is in a rebuilding phase? New O and D COs. Both first year coaches.

Will be interesting to see where they shake out. But at this point, it’s too early to tell if this will be a top 10 team, or a team that struggles to win the MAC
It's a 2 team conference, I don't see them struggling with anybody other than Stevenson. The rest of the conference is pretty weak.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:57 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:42 pm Is it safe to say that York is in a rebuilding phase? New O and D COs. Both first year coaches.

It's a 2 team conference, I don't see them struggling with anybody other than Stevenson. The rest of the conference is pretty weak.
I think the conference is getting better. Eastern has some talent. But I also think as long as York can dominate FO, they will win the conference.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:08 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:57 pm

I think the conference is getting better. Eastern has some talent. But I also think as long as York can dominate FO, they will win the conference.
I only know about Eastern getting smacked by Stockton, and 6 of their 9 losses were from out of conference.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Now, at this moment I don’t speak of them with the same confidence that lets me say “Salisbury just reloads,” but the reality is York has been doing just that for some time. They have managed to replace large and important swaths of their roster for over a decade now, both off the bench and with new comers. And these same conversations persist seemingly every year, which is good, because it means that they are both still underestimated by some, and still relevant for people to talk about.

They return 3 of their top 5 scorers (1,3,4) all of whom are attackmen. They return their 2nd top scoring midfielder, and bring in a 39 point xfer midfielder (which would’ve put him at 4th in points for York, and make him their top midfield scorer). They return their top FO (one of the top in the division). They return 2/3 at close D, including their top shutdown. They return their top SSDM. And they return every one of their viable goalie options from last year.

They lost their #2 scorer (Mayer), their top midfield scorer (Burbank), and their top LSM (Green). Those are the positions that need addressing, along with locking in a decisive starting goalie. Seems like the loss of Burbank was addressed with the transfer, who brings slightly better numbers, with both a larger frame and far more experience.

As far as assistant coaching goes, yes they are both pretty green (Kennedy was coaching at York last year, not to split hairs).

There is quite a bit of real estate between being a top 10 program, being in a rebuilding year, and not winning the MAC. As a fan of many teams that have gone through a rebuild phase, I personally don’t think any team that retains the number of key players listed above qualifies as such.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Here’s hoping a defensive coach or two are thinking the same as InsiderRoll and others, in underestimating this York roster. I love the schedule, and hope that those who go to the alumni game will be able to provide some insight into some of the new looks of; the third attack spot, the top LSM, and starting goalie, which appear to be the only real question marks coming in.

I’m thinking Harnick, Russo, Townsend at attack to start.
At LSM; Rutledge, Rubeling, and Snodgrass all have similar stat lines, and all have shown the ability to join the rush and push transition into offense. I see them rolling all three consistently, keeping fresh legs. To the goalie, this is where I don’t have any educated guess. Keller was their man last year, and he’s still there, but everyone else is also another year into their development, and the freshman from TX looks very good. Anyone’s job to earn this fall IMO.
Last edited by RE6ULATOR on Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
6rock

Post by 6rock »

Hey York Lax Followers,

Been following the thread since the start of 2022 season. I love the inside look on how York team has developed over the last couple of years. Its sad to see so many guys that have left the program but who knows what the future holds for this team. 2024 season is in the horizon lets just let the chips fall where they fall and see what York has this upcoming year. I have heard some news that you may have already know, which is that York has already had one freshman transfer out, after only being on the team for four days. Number 41 Nick Lilly MIAA product out of St. Mary in MD stepped away from the program just recently. These might not seem like a big deal, but I think it should raise concerns on why kids get up and leave from York. I feel as though York should look for a coaching change in the upcoming years to revamp this program and get it back to the top where it once was.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:28 pm

Now, at this moment I don’t speak of them with the same confidence that lets me say “Salisbury just reloads,” but the reality is York has been doing just that for some time. They have managed to replace large and important swaths of their roster for over a decade now, both off the bench and with new comers. And these same conversations persist seemingly every year, which is good, because it means that they are both still underestimated by some, and still relevant for people to talk about.

They return 3 of their top 5 scorers (1,3,4) all of whom are attackmen. They return their 2nd top scoring midfielder, and bring in a 39 point xfer midfielder (which would’ve put him at 4th in points for York, and make him their top midfield scorer). They return their top FO (one of the top in the division). They return 2/3 at close D, including their top shutdown. They return their top SSDM. And they return every one of their viable goalie options from last year.

They lost their #2 scorer (Mayer), their top midfield scorer (Burbank), and their top LSM (Green). Those are the positions that need addressing, along with locking in a decisive starting goalie. Seems like the loss of Burbank was addressed with the transfer, who brings slightly better numbers, with both a larger frame and far more experience.

As far as assistant coaching goes, yes they are both pretty green (Kennedy was coaching at York last year, not to split hairs).

There is quite a bit of real estate between being a top 10 program, being in a rebuilding year, and not winning the MAC. As a fan of many teams that have gone through a rebuild phase, I personally don’t think any team that retains the number of key players listed above qualifies as such.
as you look at it Townsend never started a game last year and played a fraction of the time Mayer did and still wound up as the third-leading scorer. If he is the starter you can easily see those numbers get very close to Mayer last year. Keough should easily match the numbers of Burbank as he is big and more mature. but, again I would say leadership is a huge thing for this team and the offense brings back Harnicj and Grayson who are two of the best leaders on the team. I am hearing that Mahorney has been very impressive so far this fall as has Berard, Kaplan, Hines, and Morton. Berard, Hines, and Kaplan can all play either Attack or Middie.

I am hearing that Wilhelm's coaching style is really resonating with the players and the defense loves RK, as he is making some tweaks to an already solid defensive core.

SSDM is solid and deep Mentzer, Shields Sock, Jens, Spencer, and Shea make up a solid core and then add the transfer and 2 of the freshmen and you can legit go 9 deep. LSM - is also deep but having to replace Greene who replaced Tyler Nation we should expect a slight drop-off. but, Rutledge is solid and Ruebling and Snodgrass can be really good pieces as well. plus there is a freshman that has been flashing early.
close is pretty solid with Biava, and Blackmon holding down two spots while seniors Ridgeway and Monohan waiting in the wings. I heard that a freshman is showing very well here also.

Goalie- is is Keller's job to lose but, the other goalies are breathing down his neck as this may be the best competition on the team.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

6rock wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 am Hey York Lax Followers,

Been following the thread since the start of 2022 season. I love the inside look on how York team has developed over the last couple of years. Its sad to see so many guys that have left the program but who knows what the future holds for this team. 2024 season is in the horizon lets just let the chips fall where they fall and see what York has this upcoming year. I have heard some news that you may have already know, which is that York has already had one freshman transfer out, after only being on the team for four days. Number 41 Nick Lilly MIAA product out of St. Mary in MD stepped away from the program just recently. These might not seem like a big deal, but I think it should raise concerns on why kids get up and leave from York. I feel as though York should look for a coaching change in the upcoming years to revamp this program and get it back to the top where it once was.
Lilly simply got recruited over and then saw the writing on the wall, they seem like not a big deal because they are not every school loses kids, as the program evolves there will be some kids left behind. as for the other kid york has lost a recruit in the first few weeks every year for the last several.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”