Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
CnyLax

Re: Recruiting

Post by CnyLax »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:07 pm
flushlax77 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:01 pm Goalies are weird and there is a few top studs in this class and than a bunch of interesting prospects. The CT Grizzly GK has not picked yet, so figure that is the next big domino to drop. From hearing from club coaches its seems like the big 3 were the HHH GK (BC), the M&D kid (Clemson), and the CT kid. Would be interesting to see where it falls with the rest!
Goalies on average commit much later than outfield players. But even with that said, this goalie class isn't very strong. 2023 class was absolutely loaded with elite goalies. Alot of the top programs either already have someone established or have a top prospect in the pipeline so they have alot more to think about.
The kid Carolina & Maryland got from 23 class are pretty good. Interesting to see how some of these teams recruit goalies. Wonder where the CT end up at?
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Have to think Northwestern and ND would be near the top for her. She played for both teams at the HHH Committed showcase I think.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:07 pm
flushlax77 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:01 pm Goalies are weird and there is a few top studs in this class and than a bunch of interesting prospects. The CT Grizzly GK has not picked yet, so figure that is the next big domino to drop. From hearing from club coaches its seems like the big 3 were the HHH GK (BC), the M&D kid (Clemson), and the CT kid. Would be interesting to see where it falls with the rest!
Goalies on average commit much later than outfield players. But even with that said, this goalie class isn't very strong. 2023 class was absolutely loaded with elite goalies. Alot of the top programs either already have someone established or have a top prospect in the pipeline so they have alot more to think about.

What makes this year a bit unique is that several of the top goalie prospects are from non-traditional areas. A couple great ones from California, a couple from Colorado (though 1 just committed) and a great one from Texas.

Coaches can often be hesitant to bring in someone for the most important position from a less competitive area, who likely hasn't seen the same level of competition as the rest.
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:04 pm Have to think Northwestern and ND would be near the top for her. She played for both teams at the HHH Committed showcase I think.
Doubt Northwestern. Their Sophomore goalie is good. I say UNC.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LaxUpstate wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:48 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:04 pm Have to think Northwestern and ND would be near the top for her. She played for both teams at the HHH Committed showcase I think.
UNC doesn't need another goalie. They have Betty Nelson and got another YJ long island kid last year who was highly ranked
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

In a post-Covid world, schools need to bring in a goalie every year. Now maybe 1 or 2 of them don't get any $$, but you need them to execute an effective practice.

We can all look to Duke to see what happens when you only have 1 healthy experienced goalie.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

LaxUpstate wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:48 pm
No doubt she is good but will be a senior when this kid gets there. It makes sense what the poster above said since she played with ND & Northwestern at the committed games.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Kyle Finnell committed to NW

Emma brown committed to Stanford

both awesome players. Stanford with a rare bright spot in what's been a disastrous year. I'm an avid Stanford criticizer not because i dislike the program but because they lay waste to so many talented players with poor coaching and management. The bottom falls out next year because without Ashley Humphrey they simply have no offense. I'm gonna wait a little longer to see how this recruiting class pans out because if Maryland has red flags Stanford is staring at a Chernobyl like meltdown
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:29 pm Kyle Finnell committed to NW

both awesome players. Stanford with a rare bright spot in what's been a disastrous year. I'm an avid Stanford criticizer not because i dislike the program but because they lay waste to so many talented players with poor coaching and management. The bottom falls out next year because without Ashley Humphrey they simply have no offense. I'm gonna wait a little longer to see how this recruiting class pans out because if Maryland has red flags Stanford is staring at a Chernobyl like meltdown
I disagree. Stanford will always get players that are better than its program achievements would suggest. (Unless of course they become a perennial top 10 and “deserve” their share of top recruits!).
There is a good percentage of the top 200 recruits that rank the quality of the degree and alumni network of a school higher than anything else. And on those measures, Stanford stands alone as a provider of top 5 academics with “big time” student-athlete experiences. The ivies have the former of course, just not the latter.
Why don’t you see lots of undergraduate transfers out of Stanford? Because walking away from that degree for a “better” lax program is a losing proposition generally.
I would imagine that the reason Ashley Humphrey isn’t yet at UNC is because she wants to get her Stanford degree first…
Duke is similar to Stanford. And north is the exception that proves the rule.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Reese King to UNC. Jesus Christ :lol: i was convinced she would go somewhere else when UNC landed 2 other 5 star players in her position and she STILL picks UNC. no but seriously what the heck kind of magic water is Levy giving them on these visits?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:08 pm Reese King to UNC. Jesus Christ :lol: i was convinced she would go somewhere else when UNC landed 2 other 5 star players in her position and she STILL picks UNC. no but seriously what the heck kind of magic water is Levy giving them on these visits?
Good for her. Not scared of a little competition. Plus she does something one of the others can’t do. Draw.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:43 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:08 pm Reese King to UNC. Jesus Christ :lol: i was convinced she would go somewhere else when UNC landed 2 other 5 star players in her position and she STILL picks UNC. no but seriously what the heck kind of magic water is Levy giving them on these visits?
Good for her. Not scared of a little competition. Plus she does something one of the others can’t do so it’s not that crazy. She’s excellent on the Draw.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Finnell to NW was probably the biggest shock for me this far in the recruiting process. Absolutely great player who I heard is a great student.

However, not sure how I see her fitting into the NW offense. Can't remember NW ever having a tall, more stationary attacker in their offense. Would have thought Duke, BC and even Stanford would be much better fits here.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:08 pm

Finnell to NW was probably the biggest shock for me this far in the recruiting process. Absolutely great player who I heard is a great student.

However, not sure how I see her fitting into the NW offense. Can't remember NW ever having a tall, more stationary attacker in their offense. Would have thought Duke, BC and even Stanford would be much better fits here.
Agreed. Finnell is a great player. She's big, powerful, and shoots hard. But for the type of offensive sets NW runs she's not mobile enough
harflax

Post by harflax »

Terps get an M&D product. Sofia Herrera commits to the Terps
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

harflax wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:15 pm Terps get an M&D product. Sofia Herrera commits to the Terps
The best player they have gotten so far. Herrera is a top 25 player
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:03 pm
harflax wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:15 pm Terps get an M&D product. Sofia Herrera commits to the Terps
The best player they have gotten so far. Herrera is a top 25 player
Could be the next great MD defender.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

in other news, UNC has landed another top 25 player from Mass Elite, Emma Connerty. These girls do not care who's already there. They just wanna get a foot in the door for a chance to compete even though they know they can be stars elsewhere. Also read in a other board that a top 10 player from the 2024 class turned down big $$ from another program to committ to UNC.. idk if its true or not but wouldn't surprise me one bit. Whatever Jenny is selling..it is being bought like hot cakes.

At this point might as well expect Spallina to UNC cause why not?

They have 7 of the top 30 ranked players per IL. A whopping 23% of the top players.. committed to UNC. This gives them the greatest recruiting class in the modern era. They have 13 5 star ranked players between this class and last years. Even if just 5 pan out, you're looking at sustained success. Good luck to the rest of college Lax
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

NU with another great pickup. Gabby McCollester from Colorado. Has an absolute rocket of a shot. Believe hardest in the 2025s
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

On list of 120+ ‘25 commits, 8 to UNC, 5 to UMass Lowell, 1 to boston College. And no Spallina. An interesting spread.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”