Florida with 2
MD with 1
BC with 0
Dartmouth with 2
Clemson with 2
USC with 2
UVA with 2
W&M with 2

i like what Dartmouth has put together so far. Hope Hapgood is very good. I watched lot of Darien games and her and Chloe Humphrey had great chemistry. She'll be joining her sister who will be a star for that team. Dartmouth has a little pipeline running through CT. Depending on how they do this season might have to consider them as a program to watch
Don't sleep on the Big Green. Alax Frank is one of the best young coaches around and they will be back after surviving the double whammy of Dani's poor recruiting + COVID. They return the complete starting line-up from last season this spring ... 2025 will be the breakthrough.
Agreed; really good coach, and deep, long-standing connections to the New England high school lacrosse marketplace. I think Dartmouth rights the ship before Princeton.
Agree.

What’s wrong with Princeton’s ship?
Went from 15-4 (2022) and 16-4 (2019) in their last two complete seasons to I think something like 7-9 last year, the first year after losing a legendary coach. I like the Ivies and like Princeton, a good many Tigers in my family. But there is some work to do to get back into the conversation. Just my not altogether informed opinion. Wish them the best.
Lost 2 2023 starters to the transfer/the portal. Not an everyday occurrence in the Ivies. Coaching change + COVID are disruptive to say the least.
Yup.

Whenever coaching changes are announced in advance, it usually hurts multiple years of recruiting.
The only players that I know that they lost in the portal were grads who couldn’t play their final year of eligibility at Princeton? Unless you have specific names?
Not sure where they landed, but per Inside Lacrosse ellie mueller and Sam devito, both academic juniors in 2023, with 2 years of eligibility left (cancelled 2021 season) were in the portal.
They are both 100% seniors at Princeton this year, they were in the portal for grad school next year. I think that’s a case of poor IL reporting :lol:
Sammy Devito is the same grad year as my son who is a senior year in college this year. Unless she accelerated her classes in Princeton and graduated in three years, which seems unlikely, she would have either 1 or 2 years of eligibility.
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

suffolk wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:40 pm I am hearing Clemson is about to get another big one. Really big.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/image ... hy-inc.jpg
laxmenow

Post by laxmenow »

Emma Penczek to Clemson!
UpDownLax

Post by UpDownLax »

I gotta say I’m stunned at the haul Clemson has brought in so far. I always expect UNC to have a great class but for Clemson to pull Penzcek in addition to the other 5*, wow. They are going to make things very interesting in 2026 and 2027 with what they are building.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

laxmenow wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:09 pm Emma Penczek to Clemson!
WOWWW!!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

UpDownLax wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:15 pm I gotta say I’m stunned at the haul Clemson has brought in so far. I always expect UNC to have a great class but for Clemson to pull Penzcek in addition to the other 5*, wow. They are going to make things very interesting in 2026 and 2027 with what they are building.
for sure..not a contender yet but def top 15
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

If you're Maryland right now..what on Earth is going on in college park?? Penczek was a must. a homegrown talent from your own backyard opted for Clemson. Cathy Reese has a big big problem
lax410

Post by lax410 »

UpDownLax wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:15 pm I gotta say I’m stunned at the haul Clemson has brought in so far. I always expect UNC to have a great class but for Clemson to pull Penzcek in addition to the other 5*, wow. They are going to make things very interesting in 2026 and 2027 with what they are building.
Who are the 5?
Stix

Post by Stix »

MD just got Sammy Jo Tracy'd.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

lax410 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:50 pm
Who are the 5?
Natalie Shurtleff and Reaan Byrne in the 2023 class. Tess DeLuca and Emma Penczek in the 2025 class.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Got it. Thought you were referring to five 2025s.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:51 pm Kiera Shwartz to Clemson
Haven’t seen confirmation of this yet, but, if true, this is a big get for Clemson. She is the best 2025 in New Jersey I have seen and there are a lot of really good 2025s in Jersey. Excellent all field player. Does everything really well.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

njbill wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:18 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:51 pm Kiera Shwartz to Clemson
Haven’t seen confirmation of this yet, but, if true, this is a big get for Clemson. She is the best 2025 in New Jersey I have seen and there are a lot of really good 2025s in Jersey. Excellent all field player. Does everything really well.
Any thoughts on Tatum Woods? She's another NJ 2025 and committed to Maryland today.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes. I have seen her play a number of times. Have prepared scouting reports on her the last two years. I suspect she will be an attacker in college. Excellent, hard shot. Good placement. Quick. Good stick. Has a very sophisticated game for a high school sophomore. A bit surprised she committed to Maryland. Was hoping Rutgers. Look forward to seeing her play her last two years in high school.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

njbill wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:30 pm Yes. I have seen her play a number of times. Have prepared scouting reports on her the last two years. I suspect she will be an attacker in college. Excellent, hard shot. Good placement. Quick. Good stick. Has a very sophisticated game for a high school sophomore. A bit surprised she committed to Maryland. Was hoping Rutgers. Look forward to seeing her play her last two years in high school.
Well that's encouraging to hear on what is apparently one of the worst days in Maryland women's lacrosse history.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

jff97 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:44 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:30 pm Yes. I have seen her play a number of times. Have prepared scouting reports on her the last two years. I suspect she will be an attacker in college. Excellent, hard shot. Good placement. Quick. Good stick. Has a very sophisticated game for a high school sophomore. A bit surprised she committed to Maryland. Was hoping Rutgers. Look forward to seeing her play her last two years in high school.
Well that's encouraging to hear on what is apparently one of the worst days in Maryland women's lacrosse history.
No it's not the worst day ever for Maryland. No one is disputing the fact that Maryland will get good players. they will. and they'll get more commits for this class. My main thing is that they are missing out on homegrown elite players. This is a troubling trend for a program of Maryland's pedigree and it's been going on for sometime. The issue is exacerbated when you look at what rivals are doing and the on field product. I think even you can agree it's disappointing.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:51 pm
jff97 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:44 pm
No it's not the worst day ever for Maryland. No one is disputing the fact that Maryland will get good players. they will. and they'll get more commits for this class. My main thing is that they are missing out on homegrown elite players. This is a troubling trend for a program of Maryland's pedigree and it's been going on for sometime. The issue is exacerbated when you look at what rivals are doing and the on field product. I think even you can agree it's disappointing.
I was being sarcastic, thought that was obvious. Disappointing given where she's from and MD's history in that area, but if you look back in the last decade or so some years MD has really cleaned up with the top in state talent and other years they haven't. You can't get everyone. And as I've stated here before, MD is not on the same level academically as many of the top programs in the sport even by in-state kids, which is a challenge in recruiting.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Outstanding recruiting class, much better than I ever could have imagined.

However, it is more than likely that at least a few of these big names will likely be gone by their sophomore or junior years. Just not enough playing time to go around. This means at least a couple of these girls will have their scholarship $$ cut after a year or two which could accelerate a transfer.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

laxlaxlax wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:37 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:28 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:13 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:30 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:06 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:28 pm
SpartansRule wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:21 pm
lax410 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:31 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:11 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:56 am
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:21 pm so far

UNC with 5 commits
CUSE with 2
Florida with 2
MD with 1
BC with 0
Dartmouth with 2
Clemson with 2
USC with 2
UVA with 2
W&M with 2

i like what Dartmouth has put together so far. Hope Hapgood is very good. I watched lot of Darien games and her and Chloe Humphrey had great chemistry. She'll be joining her sister who will be a star for that team. Dartmouth has a little pipeline running through CT. Depending on how they do this season might have to consider them as a program to watch
Don't sleep on the Big Green. Alax Frank is one of the best young coaches around and they will be back after surviving the double whammy of Dani's poor recruiting + COVID. They return the complete starting line-up from last season this spring ... 2025 will be the breakthrough.
Agreed; really good coach, and deep, long-standing connections to the New England high school lacrosse marketplace. I think Dartmouth rights the ship before Princeton.
Agree.

What’s wrong with Princeton’s ship?
Went from 15-4 (2022) and 16-4 (2019) in their last two complete seasons to I think something like 7-9 last year, the first year after losing a legendary coach. I like the Ivies and like Princeton, a good many Tigers in my family. But there is some work to do to get back into the conversation. Just my not altogether informed opinion. Wish them the best.
Lost 2 2023 starters to the transfer/the portal. Not an everyday occurrence in the Ivies. Coaching change + COVID are disruptive to say the least.
Yup.

Whenever coaching changes are announced in advance, it usually hurts multiple years of recruiting.
The only players that I know that they lost in the portal were grads who couldn’t play their final year of eligibility at Princeton? Unless you have specific names?
Not sure where they landed, but per Inside Lacrosse ellie mueller and Sam devito, both academic juniors in 2023, with 2 years of eligibility left (cancelled 2021 season) were in the portal.
THAT makes sense ,,, far more sense than transferring out of Princeton 3 years into your degree. Danke!

They are both 100% seniors at Princeton this year, they were in the portal for grad school next year. I think that’s a case of poor IL reporting :lol:
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:55 am

Outstanding recruiting class, much better than I ever could have imagined.

However, it is more than likely that at least a few of these big names will likely be gone by their sophomore or junior years. Just not enough playing time to go around. This means at least a couple of these girls will have their scholarship $$ cut after a year or two which could accelerate a transfer.
Maybe I am to old school, but I don't get this comment about scholarships being cut. My experience is that if a coach is running a good program the coach will not (as a rule) decrease a players scholarship if that player is a good teammate, a good student and works hard. In order to reduce a division 1 scholarship, the student-athlete has to agree to the reduction and it has to go through a formal process. More typically I have seen a coach provide a set amount that they keep consistent or the players get a greater percentage of a scholarship each year they are with the program.

If a coach gets into the habit of reducing scholarships to upper classmen, they will have a tarnished reputation fairly quickly.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”