Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Fischer

Re: Recruiting

Post by Fischer »

That’s what I said Its Penn state Lax or not It’s a great school It would pass the broken leg test for me If lax helps get you in And you can deal with the coach then it’s a win
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 pm I personally love seeing W&M and UMASS Lowell be aggressive out of the gates. Shows me that the coaches understand that they might not get top 100 kids but lock down the ones who might be on the second list for teams above you.
I guess it says something. They are gonna target the players they want and not wait like everyone else for the top kids to commit. I wonder how often a team lower in standings ends up with Top 50 kids anyway. So I guess Why wait.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:46 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:27 pm Levy is gonna retire while her kid is playing for her? I’ll take “no” on that. In fact, I’d bet the house.
well I guess time will time. check back in this forum in 4 years.
You really think she’s going to quit after her kid’s sophomore or junior year?
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:19 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:58 pm
TNLAX wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:23 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:21 pm M&D goalie to Clemson. Gonna be a busy three days. For those saying they could have egg in their face. That’s 1 they brought in already. 3-4 more coming in he next few days. Clemson gonna be a perennial top10 program very shortly. Everyone wants to go there.
“Everyone wants to go there”. Really? That may be a little bit of an over statement. Some girls may want to go there but it isn’t a perfect fit for “everyone”. The hype is a little overstated at times.
🤦🏻‍♂️ I obviously didn’t mean all 7600 girls who play. Change the statement to a large majority of the top girls. Kinda like everyone wants to go to UNC and Maryland, etc.
I disagree with your assessment. Clemson is a fine school. It’s comparable to vatech in terms of academic reputation and alumni network, and it is similarly isolated in terms of its campus. It’s not Florida, it’s not UNC, it’s not UVA and it’s not Duke. It’s not Maryland bc it’s not a drive from a major hotbed area. The reason why Clemson has become a “hot” college in general comes down to its football success under dabo.
They may have some pixie dust as a new program right now, but sustained excellence requires more than that. The jury is WAAAY out on whether they get there. And if football team falters for 2 or 3 years, lax team will lose mojo as well….

I’m glad they picked up women’s lax and am glad they are using their initial buzz to be competitive. But let’s wait a few years before we anoint them as top 10 destination of choice for top 200 players…
The thing about Clemson right now is they have the best of both worlds. They can sell being a part of something new and building a program while playing in the toughest conference in the country to both high school recruits as well as transfers. With the success of the football program it's already well known and I'm sure has a great gameday atmosphere for official visits.
The unknown right now is the program's ceiling. In women's lacrosse for the past five years or so you've had five teams in a given year who are legit national title contenders. It's very hard to break through into that tier. BC has busted through. Florida, which a decade ago was the hot new program has not and has settled into that second tier of top 10 team but not FF good. So which direction does Clemson go? They have a blueprint with their softball program that has already reached two Super Regionals in just four seasons as a Division I program. But if they get to a point where they can't seem to crash into the title contender conversation, then coaches can start to use that against them in recruiting. In any case, it's a storyline to follow going forward.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

jff97 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:34 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:21 pm M&D goalie to Clemson. Gonna be a busy three days. For those saying they could have egg in their face. That’s 1 they brought in already. 3-4 more coming in he next few days. Clemson gonna be a perennial top10 program very shortly. Everyone wants to go there.
“Everyone wants to go there”. Really? That may be a little bit of an over statement. Some girls may want to go there but it isn’t a perfect fit for “everyone”. The hype is a little overstated at times.
🤦🏻‍♂️ I obviously didn’t mean all 7600 girls who play. Change the statement to a large majority of the top girls. Kinda like everyone wants to go to UNC and Maryland, etc.
I disagree with your assessment. Clemson is a fine school. It’s comparable to vatech in terms of academic reputation and alumni network, and it is similarly isolated in terms of its campus. It’s not Florida, it’s not UNC, it’s not UVA and it’s not Duke. It’s not Maryland bc it’s not a drive from a major hotbed area. The reason why Clemson has become a “hot” college in general comes down to its football success under dabo.
They may have some pixie dust as a new program right now, but sustained excellence requires more than that. The jury is WAAAY out on whether they get there. And if football team falters for 2 or 3 years, lax team will lose mojo as well….

I’m glad they picked up women’s lax and am glad they are using their initial buzz to be competitive. But let’s wait a few years before we anoint them as top 10 destination of choice for top 200 players…
The thing about Clemson right now is they have the best of both worlds. They can sell being a part of something new and building a program while playing in the toughest conference in the country to both high school recruits as well as transfers. With the success of the football program it's already well known and I'm sure has a great gameday atmosphere for official visits.
The unknown right now is the program's ceiling. In women's lacrosse for the past five years or so you've had five teams in a given year who are legit national title contenders. It's very hard to break through into that tier. BC has busted through. Florida, which a decade ago was the hot new program has not and has settled into that second tier of top 10 team but not FF good. So which direction does Clemson go? They have a blueprint with their softball program that has already reached two Super Regionals in just four seasons as a Division I program. But if they get to a point where they can't seem to crash into the title contender conversation, then coaches can start to use that against them in recruiting. In any case, it's a storyline to follow going forward.
FB team may already be faltering with a loss to DOOK!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Clemson is still in the ACC at last check. Almost every ACC program has multiple top 50 Kids on their rosters. It's super hard to break through in the ACC. Established programs who recruit better than Clemson STILL struggle and routinely get blown out by the top teams. So this idea that Clemson will all of a sudden surpass all of them and be a contender is waaay premature. We have seen programs like Penn State, Stanford, Florida, ND follow the blue print and load up on high level recruits. None have a much to show for it. Even CUSE, now a perennial power and a blue blood of the sport has nothing to show for it. Talent alone is NEVER enough. Maybe in another conference Clemson would have had room to breathe and grow. In the ACC it's baptism by fire.

Their 2023 Class was insane. But the 2024 class they didn't land any high level players. The 2025 class won't get on Campus until 2026..the years fly by in a blink. If they don't hit on the 2023 Class they'll be well behind that 3-4 year time range some are touting as when they start contending. I'm even expecting a bit of a regression next year because they over performed in year 1.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Being a well funded ACC program will enable Clemson to get some top recruits.

The excitement of being a new program (and the extra scholarship $$ available) will help this class and maybe the next one get some great kids. However, once you have 4 years of recruited kids in the program, then the rubber hits the road.

I think Clemson will be a perennial top 20-25 program but breaking through in the ACC will be tough. Everyone has great players and at least half of the schools (if not more) have far superior academics in most majors. That means, there are lots of really smart kids from Maryland and DC private schools who may never give you a look.

This season will be critical for Clemson. If they don't make the NCAA tourney, then lots of these recruiting gains could go away pretty quickly.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I have said this before and it is still relevant: we are dealing with high school kids, schools get trendy. TikToK, X, whatever ... this matters.

Clemson (and other big time southern schools) have been "hot" in the northeast for close to 10 years. UGA, Alabama, University of SC, Auburn. Why? The weather is great, tuition is relatively affordable, and the admission process likes to balance the in-state kids with academically qualified, potential full pay out-of-state kids. These schools are FUN and an opportunity to try something new. (In women's lax, Florida has been the beneficiary of this trendiness ... look at the IAAM pipeline down Gainesville as of late. Lotsa B'more schools on the Gator roster)

When Clemson added lacrosse it immediately became an option for laxers. It was already "hot" with their NARP friends. Can they use the momentum to build a solid program for the long-term? We shall see.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:52 am

The excitement of being a new program (and the extra scholarship $$ available) will help this class and maybe the next one get some great kids. However, once you have 4 years of recruited kids in the program, then the rubber hits the road.

I think Clemson will be a perennial top 20-25 program but breaking through in the ACC will be tough. Everyone has great players and at least half of the schools (if not more) have far superior academics in most majors. That means, there are lots of really smart kids from Maryland and DC private schools who may never give you a look.

This season will be critical for Clemson. If they don't make the NCAA tourney, then lots of these recruiting gains could go away pretty quickly.
Please help me understand "the extra scholarship $$ available". Do they have more scholarship money to offer than any other fully funded D1 program that has 12 scholarships to provide their student athletes? Do they have more merit money to offer than Duke or UNC? Are there any articles that have Clemson officials being quoted saying "they have extra scholarship money"? Just asking.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:37 am

Please help me understand "the extra scholarship $$ available". Do they have more scholarship money to offer than any other fully funded D1 program that has 12 scholarships to provide their student athletes? Do they have more merit money to offer than Duke or UNC? Are there any articles that have Clemson officials being quoted saying "they have extra scholarship money"? Just asking.
All programs have the same cap on recruiting scholarships.

However, when you have a program without 4 full classes, this means each class can get more $$. Grad transfers impact this a bit, but 80% of grad transfers aren't getting any $$.

For instance, let's say a typical school spreads out its scholarship $$ across all classes, that is about 2.9-3.0 per class.

However for Clemson, in 3 years, they will only have 3 homegrown classes (23,24,25), this means they can average 4 scholarships per class and effectively get more $$. I guarantee if Clemson gets all of those girls they promoted on their visit, they would be spending more than 3.0 FTE scholarships. Eventually some girls will need to have their scholarship reduced in back years as more recruiting classes come in.

This is pretty common in new programs, where scholarships are front loaded the first couple years. I know a couple of the initial commits to the new program at URI got about 75% for their first year, but they were told it would go down to 50% their second year and between 25-40% their 3rd and 4th years.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:47 pm

However, when you have a program without 4 full classes, this means each class can get more $$. Grad transfers impact this a bit, but 80% of grad transfers aren't getting any $$.

For instance, let's say a typical school spreads out its scholarship $$ across all classes, that is about 2.9-3.0 per class.

However for Clemson, in 3 years, they will only have 3 homegrown classes (23,24,25), this means they can average 4 scholarships per class and effectively get more $$. I guarantee if Clemson gets all of those girls they promoted on their visit, they would be spending more than 3.0 FTE scholarships. Eventually some girls will need to have their scholarship reduced in back years as more recruiting classes come in.

This is pretty common in new programs, where scholarships are front loaded the first couple years. I know a couple of the initial commits to the new program at URI got about 75% for their first year, but they were told it would go down to 50% their second year and between 25-40% their 3rd and 4th years.
Ok, thanks for response. But I don't think it is this simple. Some players may be able to get more money from need based financial aid. Some girls may get a lot of merit money and very little athletic money. Some girls will get athletic money.

Some coaches do a real good job working with families and their schools financial aid departments, other coaches don't. I just don't see Clemson having an advantage over the other public universities in the ACC when it comes to money for the womens lacrosse program, but I am not an insider. For that matter they may be at a disadvantage being a public school rather than a private institution like Duke, Notre Dame or BC.

The rules have changed so much the past few years about college players and payments outside of the athletic scholarship money. I can't keep up. But I do know some of the private schools provide monthly stipend's that are fairly significant to the players on their teams. Monthly deposits into debit card accounts the girls use for every day transactions.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

T Scott to Clemson. 😁
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:11 pm T Scott to Clemson. 😁
Not surprising. She lives in SC.
Bart

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:28 pm

Ok, thanks for response. But I don't think it is this simple. Some players may be able to get more money from need based financial aid. Some girls may get a lot of merit money and very little athletic money. Some girls will get athletic money.

Some coaches do a real good job working with families and their schools financial aid departments, other coaches don't. I just don't see Clemson having an advantage over the other public universities in the ACC when it comes to money for the womens lacrosse program, but I am not an insider. For that matter they may be at a disadvantage being a public school rather than a private institution like Duke, Notre Dame or BC.

The rules have changed so much the past few years about college players and payments outside of the athletic scholarship money. I can't keep up. But I do know some of the private schools provide monthly stipend's that are fairly significant to the players on their teams. Monthly deposits into debit card accounts the girls use for every day transactions.
Would love to know those schools. If the money is above and beyond the schools scholarship limit that would still be illegal. If it is NIL money it has to be from an outside source. Now that source can put it directly into a players account. If it is NIL money I hope someone is telling these kids that more likely than not they are going to be looked at as independent contractors and may have to pay taxes on this money.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

:)
watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:54 am I have said this before and it is still relevant: we are dealing with high school kids, schools get trendy. TikToK, X, whatever ... this matters.

Clemson (and other big time southern schools) have been "hot" in the northeast for close to 10 years. UGA, Alabama, University of SC, Auburn. Why? The weather is great, tuition is relatively affordable, and the admission process likes to balance the in-state kids with academically qualified, potential full pay out-of-state kids. These schools are FUN and an opportunity to try something new. (In women's lax, Florida has been the beneficiary of this trendiness ... look at the IAAM pipeline down Gainesville as of late. Lotsa B'more schools on the Gator roster)

When Clemson added lacrosse it immediately became an option for laxers. It was already "hot" with their NARP friends. Can they use the momentum to build a solid program for the long-term? We shall see.
I'm seeing more central/western NY kids -NARPS- going to southern schools and big 10 schools for experience. After missing an inordinate amount of high school they are spreading their wings.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

Bart wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:01 pm

Would love to know those schools. If the money is above and beyond the schools scholarship limit that would still be illegal. If it is NIL money it has to be from an outside source. Now that source can put it directly into a players account. If it is NIL money I hope someone is telling these kids that more likely than not they are going to be looked at as independent contractors and may have to pay taxes on this money.
At least one school told kids at their August prospect camp that all players/commits can count on $15,000 per year in NIL money, aside from any scholarships. Not sure if any mention of taxes was made.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Bart wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:01 pm

Agree that this seems outside of NCAA rules. My daughter did have an athletic dept issued debit card that was intended to be used for groceries as part of her "meal plan" ... maybe this is what is being referred to?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

This should start picking up now. Winkler to UNC
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:05 am This should start picking up now. Winkler to UNC
yep the dam has broken. Magday from McDonogh to UNC as well. Another Maryland Kid
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:54 am
Relax77 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:05 am This should start picking up now. Winkler to UNC
yep the dam has broken. Magday from McDonogh to UNC as well. Another Maryland Kid
Magday is an M&D kid as well. Coach Levy having her daughter play M&D was a brilliant move on her part. For years we were not getting M&D girls. Now it is three in the last calendar year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”