Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:59 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:40 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:54 pm Elon might want to stay the fcuk out of Ukraine. What a little prcik.

“The biography, due out on Tuesday, alleges Musk ordered Starlink engineers to turn off service in the area of the attack because of his concern that Vladimir Putin would respond with nuclear weapons to a Ukrainian attack on Russian-occupied Crimea. He is reported to have said that Ukraine was “going too far” in threatening to inflict a “strategic defeat” on the Kremlin.

Musk’s threats to withdraw Starlink communications at various stages of the conflict have been previously reported, but this is the first time it has been alleged he cut off Ukrainian forces in the middle of a specific operation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -biography
Read the tweets here: https://twitter.com/MarioNawfal/status/ ... 20762?s=20

Seems opposite of was reported in guardian and CNN
I don't get it. Russia can, and has, sunk Ukrainian ships....but Musk thinks Ukraine/USA can't sink Russian ships or that's "escalation"?

What's the logic here? This doesn't make sense. Few things do in wartime, I guess.
The use of Starink satellite system would be used for potential war escalation.Musk said Eff that, work on peace.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:08 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:54 pm Elon might want to stay the fcuk out of Ukraine. What a little prcik.

“The biography, due out on Tuesday, alleges Musk ordered Starlink engineers to turn off service in the area of the attack because of his concern that Vladimir Putin would respond with nuclear weapons to a Ukrainian attack on Russian-occupied Crimea. He is reported to have said that Ukraine was “going too far” in threatening to inflict a “strategic defeat” on the Kremlin.

Musk’s threats to withdraw Starlink communications at various stages of the conflict have been previously reported, but this is the first time it has been alleged he cut off Ukrainian forces in the middle of a specific operation.”

I don't get it. Russia can, and has, sunk Ukrainian ships....but Musk thinks Ukraine/USA can't sink Russian ships or that's "escalation"?

What's the logic here? This doesn't make sense. Few things do in wartime, I guess.
The use of Starink satellite system would be used for potential war escalation.Musk said Eff that, work on peace.
Two men say they’re Jeebus; at least one must be wrong…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Fcuk Elon and others who presume to speak for Ukraine.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Maybe that's what he said and actually meant, or maybe he didn't want to alienate Putin...we don't really know.

What we do know is that he was wrong in his judgment to put his finger on the scales to limit Ukraine's counter measures to an invasion and war crimes. Allowing Russia free rein to destroy much of Ukraine with its much greater capacities while limiting Ukraine's ability to counterattack Russian military capabilities doing so.

Why, because he worried that Russia would then use nuclear weapons?...who told him to worry? of yeah, Putin.

Now, if we learned it was the US government that told Elon to limit these capabilities, it would be a different matter...the US government has massively funded Elon's enterprises including StarLink, so that would at least be an arguable position. But making this call because he personally chose to favor Putin over Ukraine?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Which would make sense, except that that ignores that Putin is hitting Ukrainian ships and civilians ever day.

So.....Musk wants Putin to keep hitting hospitals and apartment buildings, but helping Ukraine hit Putin's war ships is a bridge too far?

His choice, I guess. Few things make sense in wartime......that is the best I can frame this choice.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:10 am

Two men say they’re Jeebus; at least one must be wrong…
Go with Jobu.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3TMg3koRE
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

X is almost at break even according to the list of all things they have done since acquiring Twitter.

https://x.com/cb_doge/status/1700784480 ... a82I2GssRg
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:14 pm X is almost at break even according to the list of all things they have done since acquiring Twitter.

I thought that was going to be some sort of credible evidence that "X" is "almost at breakeven". Where's that?

According to Elon recent pronouncements (we have no idea if accurate or not) they've lost 2/3 of their advertising revenue...and according to multiple analyses misinformation and hate speech is up markedly...are we calling that a success now?

What happens when they lose protection from being sued for damages?

Newspapers don't have that protection, tv stations don't, radio stations don't, but mega organizations whose algorithms select and accelerate 'information/speech' which engender the most response, most of which is based in fear and anger or sense of inadequacy, get protection...what's the public benefit at this point of such protections?
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:14 pm X is almost at break even according to the list of all things they have done since acquiring Twitter.

"Almost at break even" :lol:

One of my brands is slightly above break even. It makes $1.9M and spends $1.7M annually.

If a company that makes $4B in revenue and "is almost at break even", yet owed like $40B in loans plus interest? And down 60+% in revenue? Good luck with that my man. This has been absolutely hilarious to watch this go nuclear.

I can make a $4B company "almost break even" with a few clicks of a button.

Musk also noted that X’s advertising revenue remains down by 60% in the U.S. and alleged that advertisers have told the social media platform that pressure from the ADL is part of the reason.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It’s fun watching haters in action.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:43 pm It’s fun watching haters in action.
it's not haters, YA. You just posted a bunch of claims from "some guy on the internet".

If that was a list of "biden accomplishments"....you're telling us you'd just buy every word of it, and move on?

Let's hear what his creditors say at various milestones. The rest of the financial claims? Musk can claim anything he wants....his books are closed.

I HOPE he's not pulled down by this stupid, pointless acquisition. His talents are FAR better suited elsewhere.

The part I find utterly hilarious, is that now that Musk is running twitter, you and your fellow twitter haters have completely turned off your radar, and trust the site without question. Is he censoring? Or can you not muster enough energy to even pretend you care? I have yet to read any criticism of twitter anymore. It's gone. Magic. A "different" 1%er is running it...and like Trump, you've let yourself be fooled into thinking "he's on my team, and is one of us".

So allllll the complaints are gone. Just as I told you would happen when you told me twitter is a "town square".

Meet the new boss......
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

:cry: o
a fan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:57 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:43 pm It’s fun watching haters in action.
it's not haters, YA. You just posted a bunch of claims from "some guy on the internet".

If that was a list of "biden accomplishments"....you're telling us you'd just buy every word of it, and move on?

Let's hear what his creditors say at various milestones. The rest of the financial claims? Musk can claim anything he wants....his books are closed.

I HOPE he's not pulled down by this stupid, pointless acquisition. His talents are FAR better suited elsewhere.

The part I find utterly hilarious, is that now that Musk is running twitter, you and your fellow twitter haters have completely turned off your radar, and trust the site without question. Is he censoring? Or can you not muster enough energy to even pretend you care? I have yet to read any criticism of twitter anymore. It's gone. Magic. A "different" 1%er is running it...and like Trump, you've let yourself be fooled into thinking "he's on my team, and is one of us".

So allllll the complaints are gone. Just as I told you would happen when you told me twitter is a "town square".

Meet the new boss......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:02 pm :cry: o

Meet the new boss......
+100
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Meet the new boss......
Please hare your wisdom that implies we have all pivoted 180 degrees and now trust the site/Musk.....that is just innuendo and logical fallacy on your part.

We all now know Social media has biases.....duh, not sure why you are spun up again. You also really do not pay attention to some us very well....I have gone on record, on this site, and made claim that Musk is actually being funded by the feds. So if it makes you feel better to lump me in the "let yourself be fooled", feel free to continue.

You are doing a great job at proving my original point above. ;)
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am Please hare your wisdom that implies we have all pivoted 180 degrees and now trust the site/Musk.....that is just innuendo and logical fallacy on your part.
Are you kidding? All your complaints about Twitter not being a Town Square are *poof* gone. You don't care any more.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am We all now know Social media has biases.....duh, not sure why you are spun up again.
Because that's not what you said in the past.

Remember citing Bill Maher and his moronic take that "twitter failed", and the "reason" he gives is that (drumroll) they didn't publish everything that guys like Bill wanted them to publish? Maher has more than a few blind spots, and this is a big one.

Tell Maher that he MUST run a story. Watch what happens. How fast will he tell you that you can F right off, it's his dam show?

Or better still...tell Musk that he MUST run a story you want to run, and he's "not allowed to stop you". What do you supposed would happen?
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am You are doing a great job at proving my original point above. ;)
Nope. I support companies and their ability to CHOOSE what they print and don't print...including Musk and anyone else running twitter. I'm the only American left who believes this, apparently. I honestly don't understand what it is your believe, so i'll let you speak for yourself.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:43 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am Please hare your wisdom that implies we have all pivoted 180 degrees and now trust the site/Musk.....that is just innuendo and logical fallacy on your part.
Are you kidding? All your complaints about Twitter not being a Town Square are *poof* gone. You don't care any more.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am We all now know Social media has biases.....duh, not sure why you are spun up again.

Remember citing Bill Maher and his moronic take that "twitter failed", and the "reason" he gives is that (drumroll) they didn't publish everything that guys like Bill wanted them to publish? Maher has more than a few blind spots, and this is a big one.

Tell Maher that he MUST run a story. Watch what happens. How fast will he tell you that you can F right off, it's his dam show?

Or better still...tell Musk that he MUST run a story you want to run, and he's "not allowed to stop you". What do you supposed would happen?
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am You are doing a great job at proving my original point above. ;)
Nope. I support companies and their ability to CHOOSE what they print and don't print...including Musk and anyone else running twitter. I'm the only American left who believes this, apparently. I honestly don't understand what it is your believe, so i'll let you speak for yourself.
I agree, I just want them to be liable for the damage they do when they recklessly or willfully do that damage.

Like any other company or person.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It is not fair to offer up the service then take service offline during an offensive.
In this situation one has to be all in or not before the start providing service to begin with.
Conduct oneself with honor and integrity one way or the other; to do otherwise, seems to show a lack of both.
The parent, not the coach.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Jim Malone wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:43 pm It is not fair to offer up the service then take service offline during an offensive.
In this situation one has to be all in or not before the start providing service to begin with.
Conduct oneself with honor and integrity one way or the other; to do otherwise, seems to show a lack of both.
I agree.

Apparently the spin now is that the service was only offered for defensive operations and that was somehow defined as wherever the front line was at any given time...taking back territory apparently is "offensive" not defending one's territorial integrity.

I don't think anyone has pressed Elon or his people on this...it might be plausible to argue that the contract could end at the end of Ukraine's legitimate territory, the line at which the land becomes Russia not Ukraine...but apparently Elon is/was of the same sort of mindset that Salty/Putin advocates...it's all Russia unless Ukrainians currently hold it...if Russia has taken it illegally according to international law and then illegally annexes it then it becomes "offensive" to go beyond that front line of hostilities...

The spin is also that Elon was worried about this particular strike being so effective that it would enrage Putin (who Elon talks to) and Putin would push the button on nukes.

And the spin is that Elon later had second thoughts and turned over those decisions to the US military...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was probably because his decision caused a ruckus and he was pressured into giving up that control.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:47 pm
Jim Malone wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:43 pm It is not fair to offer up the service then take service offline during an offensive.
I agree.

Apparently the spin now is that the service was only offered for defensive operations and that was somehow defined as wherever the front line was at any given time...taking back territory apparently is "offensive" not defending one's territorial integrity.

I don't think anyone has pressed Elon or his people on this...it might be plausible to argue that the contract could end at the end of Ukraine's legitimate territory, the line at which the land becomes Russia not Ukraine...but apparently Elon is/was of the same sort of mindset that Salty/Putin advocates...it's all Russia unless Ukrainians currently hold it...if Russia has taken it illegally according to international law and then illegally annexes it then it becomes "offensive" to go beyond that front line of hostilities...

The spin is also that Elon was worried about this particular strike being so effective that it would enrage Putin (who Elon talks to) and Putin would push the button on nukes.

And the spin is that Elon later had second thoughts and turned over those decisions to the US military...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was probably because his decision caused a ruckus and he was pressured into giving up that control.
To me the real question is how large an influence the government, federal or otherwise, will allow any person (I include Scalia’s “people” in this collective) on the prosecution of international relations?

If unchecked or unalloyed, what does that presage for the individual rights of the polity without mediating effect of representative government?

Rollerball?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:16 am
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:43 pm

I agree, I just want them to be liable for the damage they do when they recklessly or willfully do that damage.

Like any other company or person.
damage?? :lol:

Not ONE bizness can be held "liable" for damages done by covid shots, mandates, mask wearing, etc.
But, let us just stick with Liable for damages from the shot.

bc of TRUMPS cares act, no one is liable for anything covid.....and you swoon in this awesomeness of liability protection for all things covid.

You gotten covid HOW many times now? 5 ?

We harken "twatter" to be like so many multi vendor "antique" or trinkette shopping venues....where you can rent a 10 by 10 space and sell what you want.

Twatter didn't allow you to post what you wanted.....that IS editorializing content. Whatever.........we love twatter. Look at all the "grownups" usining it for "journalism? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :oops: :oops: :oops: fuffg
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”