Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class.
From Il's assessment of Tyler Eye:
"In today's game, it is not absurd for a LSM to average a point per game on the club circuit. Averaging three points per game against the top club teams in the country will certainly catch the eye of every Division I coach at the IMLCA Players Summit. Outside of the impressive stick work and transition vision, the most valuable component to Eye's game is his groundball percentage. Not just volume, but the fact that he might have come away with the ball in more than 80% of the scrums that he was near.

The LI Legacy 2024 Taz squad is loaded with talent, and I think we were all caught off guard that future college offensive stars were throwing back to a pole in transition. Expect to hear this name for the next few years."

So first. he plays for Lawrenceville so he's not competing against Little Sisters. Second, if the analysis has any merit whatsoever - he is EXACTLY what Hopkins needs so 4 star/5 star/schmarstar sounds like a headliner to me
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:54 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:50 pm There's a vid on the team instagram of freshman Zach Claiborne deadlifting 500 lbs. Not bad.
SSDM or offensive potential?
Like virtually every freshman middie - assuming relative good luck in health - playing time will be in extremely short supply in 2024. Claiborne is certainly one of the more intriguing prospects as he - by multiple assessments - has all the characteristics you can't coach. In his last highlight video Mr. Foy described his combination of strength and speed as "special". He wants to study economics - no joke at Hopkins - and is apparently a very good student. Highlight videos are highlight videos but you can identify that he is not a stumblebum out there on offense though 6'1" 200 lbs - running like a deer and deadlifting 500 lbs coulld make for an SSDM out of the lab.
coda

Post by coda »

Did they mention the reasons for moving schools or being suspended during the season at Lville? Are you sure he had higher profile offers? The term was ROI. I wasn’t knocking the class, just the ROI. If you are throwing money around in NIL and giving 100%, you would expect some 5 stars. Your response of a singular 4 star, makes my point
Last edited by coda on Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Rankings really don't mean that much - Every player on the Hopkins 2024 list is "starred" Five 4 stars and Four 3 stars. I have zero knowledge about Eye's personal circumstances - nor IMO should they be discussed here. Had no idea he was suspended. What I will say is that Hopkins does not carry a significant reputation of stretching and stretching to take in kids with "questions". My point was his lacrosse talent assessments suggest he could be a headliner to a class - whether he will or not is up to him. Overall, I think this discussion of who offers what to whom is silly - who cares? As long as the institutions are following the rules - it is what it is.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:41 pm Why does it matter? They have stated it's a "multi-year" extension. So 2026 at the very least - high probability it's longer than two years - takes more than two years to take the program to DIII. So if I told you I had absolute knowledge it was through 2028 what does that have to do with the price of bread? I don't know BTW but it's a clear signal the Daniels Baker Cabal is actively brewing potions.
Is is a simple question. Why not announce it? It is not a big deal but it is the first time i have not known the term. But then you probably have never known. Feeling a little defensive?? Reading Macbeth? Term is often announced. But then since you got caught w your pants down trying to smear me and the previous coach from time to tine i am not surprised at your low remt BS.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:51 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:41 pm Why does it matter? They have stated it's a "multi-year" extension. So 2026 at the very least - high probability it's longer than two years - takes more than two years to take the program to DIII. So if I told you I had absolute knowledge it was through 2028 what does that have to do with the price of bread? I don't know BTW but it's a clear signal the Daniels Baker Cabal is actively brewing potions.
Is is a simple question. Why not announce it? It is not a big deal but it is the first time i have not known the term. But then you probably have never known. Feeling a little defensive?? Reading Macbeth? Term is often announced. But then since you got caught w your pants down trying to smear me and the previous coach from time to tine i am not surprised at your low remt BS.
That’s what happens when you’re not in the inner circle anymore. Your time has passed. There are plenty of people who know the terms of the deal.

Loyola did not disclose the terms of Toomey’s most recent deal either. Plenty of other examples. It’s quite common. Maybe they don’t want a bunch of weirdos starting the clock on his tenure and bringing a ton of negative energy.

As for Mr. Coda, this is not the first cryptic post he’s made about a Hopkins recruit. Starting to get strange vibes from this one. Think there may be an axe to grind here.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:51 pm But then since you got caught w your pants down trying to smear me and the previous coach from time to tine i am not surprised at your low remt BS.
Smear you? Pants Down? What are you talking about????- I still have my pants on pal - better check yours. Maybe you want to take your tin foil hat off too - I guess you live by "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't trying to get you."
As far as David - I've had many pleasant interactions with him - I never tried to smear him - I was in the tank for him way more than not. I thought he made two errors - both of which I believe he mentioned himself. He was at the front of early recruiting - not the only one but he was certainly one of the biggest players. And at some point he probably should have rethought the Head Coach and DC dual roles. That's not to take a swipe at Dwan either - he did many valuable things for the program but it's hard for one guy to run both to peak efficiency.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:14 am Did they mention the reasons for moving schools or being suspended during the season at Lville? Are you sure he had higher profile offers? The term was ROI. I wasn’t knocking the class, just the ROI. If you are throwing money around in NIL and giving 100%, you would expect some 5 stars. Your response of a singular 4 star, makes my point
Tyler Eye wasn’t the 2024 I was referencing.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:44 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:50 pm Look, if everyone at Hop is getting 25%, it really shouldn't be surprising that we're not getting "top ten" recruits because other schools are offering those guys more than 25%. And if we're giving 25% to the 12th guy in a recruiting class, the staff is just dumb (which they're not). I get the "lore", but there's got to be some heavy duty semantics going on there to make that statement "true". Epstein (our last #1 recruit), for example, didn't need a 100% "athletic scholarship", as, if I recall correctly, one of his parents was employed by the university. Some of our other recent top recruits probably qualified for substantial need based aid and thus didn't need a ton of "athletic" scholarship money either, but I'm also pretty sure they're not paying a ton out of pocket.
While they might not have done it per-NIL, I have first hand knowledge that Hopkins has been giving out 100% scholarships over the last two recruiting cycles. Was informed by a parent of a 2024 commit. Given that he is not their highest ranked commit, I’m guessing there are others who got similar offers.

What they may have received is a net free ride from all sources Over the years there have been claims of a full athletic schollie that were really based on different sources or just puffery. So wbo are these recipients. I know a couple of families in the soph class.
If you’re looking to help a kid pay little to nothing to attend and the primary motivating factor for administration/admissions in the specific case is their potential lacrosse contribution then what’s the difference? Source of funds? Or motivation to make the institution free/affordable for a coveted athlete who otherwise fits the general admissions profile range close enough? If it’s strictly the source of funds then the whole discussion is silly because it just becomes a transfer of capital issue. If it’s the latter then a full ride is a full ride if the primary or largest contributing motivating factor is their ability to contribute on the lacrosse field.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:50 pm Look, if everyone at Hop is getting 25%, it really shouldn't be surprising that we're not getting "top ten" recruits because other schools are offering those guys more than 25%. And if we're giving 25% to the 12th guy in a recruiting class, the staff is just dumb (which they're not). I get the "lore", but there's got to be some heavy duty semantics going on there to make that statement "true". Epstein (our last #1 recruit), for example, didn't need a 100% "athletic scholarship", as, if I recall correctly, one of his parents was employed by the university. Some of our other recent top recruits probably qualified for substantial need based aid and thus didn't need a ton of "athletic" scholarship money either, but I'm also pretty sure they're not paying a ton out of pocket.
While they might not have done it per-NIL, I have first hand knowledge that Hopkins has been giving out 100% scholarships over the last two recruiting cycles. Was informed by a parent of a 2024 commit. Given that he is not their highest ranked commit, I’m guessing there are others who got similar offers.

What they may have received is a net free ride from all sources Over the years there have been claims of a full athletic schollie that were really based on different sources or just puffery. So wbo are these recipients. I know a couple of families in the soph class.
Correct it was a net full ride, part athletic scholarship, the rest funded by an NIL collective pool. All counts the same for the parents, they aren’t paying anything out of pocket.
I know there are rumors of Hopkins throwing around NIL money, but that on seems odd. Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class. That is a really poor ROI, if it is the case
Do you know the current going rate of a Bloomberg terminal???? It’s like Google ventures pissing money away on moonshots that time will decay the value of 90% of the time.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 am
coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class.
From Il's assessment of Tyler Eye:
"In today's game, it is not absurd for a LSM to average a point per game on the club circuit. Averaging three points per game against the top club teams in the country will certainly catch the eye of every Division I coach at the IMLCA Players Summit. Outside of the impressive stick work and transition vision, the most valuable component to Eye's game is his groundball percentage. Not just volume, but the fact that he might have come away with the ball in more than 80% of the scrums that he was near.

The LI Legacy 2024 Taz squad is loaded with talent, and I think we were all caught off guard that future college offensive stars were throwing back to a pole in transition. Expect to hear this name for the next few years."

So first. he plays for Lawrenceville so he's not competing against Little Sisters. Second, if the analysis has any merit whatsoever - he is EXACTLY what Hopkins needs so 4 star/5 star/schmarstar sounds like a headliner to me
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:54 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:50 pm There's a vid on the team instagram of freshman Zach Claiborne deadlifting 500 lbs. Not bad.
SSDM or offensive potential?
Like virtually every freshman middie - assuming relative good luck in health - playing time will be in extremely short supply in 2024. Claiborne is certainly one of the more intriguing prospects as he - by multiple assessments - has all the characteristics you can't coach. In his last highlight video Mr. Foy described his combination of strength and speed as "special". He wants to study economics - no joke at Hopkins - and is apparently a very good student. Highlight videos are highlight videos but you can identify that he is not a stumblebum out there on offense though 6'1" 200 lbs - running like a deer and deadlifting 500 lbs coulld make for an SSDM out of the lab.
Claiborne played SSDM at WRA last year
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

IL's database suggests the first verbal last year was the goalie from CA on September 18 - then it seems like the other 6 or 7 were all in a span of 2-3 weeks after - with the exception of the 2 reclassifcations from '23 and the decommit from Navy. I wonder if history will repeat.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:56 am IL's database suggests the first verbal last year was the goalie from CA on September 18 - then it seems like the other 6 or 7 were all in a span of 2-3 weeks after - with the exception of the 2 reclassifcations from '23 and the decommit from Navy. I wonder if history will repeat.
With a respectable QF finish in 2023, I would say the team has more going for it this recruiting season in terms of attracting recruits who want to join a potentially winning program. With graduation losses looming, recruits in this class may anticipate roster openings as well. Commitment timing may be affected to some degree depending on how quickly they weigh the various factors, take visits etc. You have to hope Hop will top some top player's wish lists.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Several IL top 50 players have visited or are scheduled to visit soon
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:30 am Several IL top 50 players have visited or are scheduled to visit soon
Would be nice to get the first one in the door. I'm optimistic. Things seem to be going a bit slower overall this year, but that's just a feeling not backed up by any data.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 pm
coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm

Correct it was a net full ride, part athletic scholarship, the rest funded by an NIL collective pool. All counts the same for the parents, they aren’t paying anything out of pocket.
I know there are rumors of Hopkins throwing around NIL money, but that on seems odd. Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class. That is a really poor ROI, if it is the case
Do you know the current going rate of a Bloomberg terminal???? It’s like Google ventures pissing money away on moonshots that time will decay the value of 90% of the time.
Bloomberg is pretty much a necessity for a trading business. I have no idea what you are trying to say with that. I view it more as paying 8x cash-flow for something that should trade at 5x. Paying through the market on Irelan, makes sense. Proven commodity, that has potential to be the final piece of a final four team. Paying through the market price for unknowns, doesn’t. Seems like an unsustainable business model, but it is not money. I wish them luck
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://athleticdirectoru.com/video/dev ... jhu-baker/

interview with baker. Timestamps so you can watch what you want, or not.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

There's virtually nothing about lacrosse - the one question was marshmallows inside a pillow sitting on a cloud - couldn't get more fluffier. The interviewer should perhaps learn either the name of the school or how to enunicate her "s" because if she said Johns you needed the hearing of a Gray Owl or a Wax Moth to get it.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:31 pm There's virtually nothing about lacrosse - the one question was marshmallows inside a pillow sitting on a cloud - couldn't get more fluffier. The interviewer should perhaps learn either the name of the school or how to enunicate her "s" because if she said Johns you needed the hearing of a Gray Owl or a Wax Moth to get it.
She finally seemed to get it right at the end after mispronouncing it the entire rest of the interview.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This weekend I found at I've been a bit naive about what the current reality is of money in lacrosse. From what I learned, NIL is now being used to directly pay players based upon their performance levels, AA, all-conf, regular starter...and bench warmers. All getting $ at some institutions, top players a lot...and not based on individual activities, Instagrams etc, coaching, endorsements, etc but rather through a pay to play structure outside of financial need support from the school, NCAA 12.6 scholarships, etc.

Individual deals with sponsors are separate and incremental.

Pay to play. More if play well.

Arms race.

And not transparent.

IMO, ugh.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:43 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:31 pm There's virtually nothing about lacrosse - the one question was marshmallows inside a pillow sitting on a cloud - couldn't get more fluffier. The interviewer should perhaps learn either the name of the school or how to enunicate her "s" because if she said Johns you needed the hearing of a Gray Owl or a Wax Moth to get it.
She finally seemed to get it right at the end after mispronouncing it the entire rest of the interview.
Actually, the very first time, in her intro, she clearly pronounced it correctly. I agree that later she dropped the s, though you had to be listening for it (the way we do) to pick it up. Then wrapped correctly, perhaps after hearing AD Baker be so clear?

The interview really wasn't about lacrosse, wasn't intended to be, but I found Jenn's comments quite interesting nevertheless. Same for her overall philosophy and thoughts about developing leaders.

Winning the President's Cup...a lot has to be going right to have that happen.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”