Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

Sept. 23 - Alumni game
Oct. 7 - Headstrong event at Hofstra
Oct. 14 - Scrimmage at Homewood vs. Richmond

Email updates from coach are back. He's projecting a lot of comfort and confidence. The vibes are good
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

The quality of the athletic program as a whole is really quite remarkable. Very well done.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:15 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:45 pm
Or you recruit well enough so that you bring in kids who outperform whatever $ they're getting. There have to have been some good values over the years. Durkin was originally I think a Lehigh guy not one of the IL cover boys and went on to have a stellar career.
You can add Ryan Brown and John Crawley to that list together with Mr. Degnon.
Then consider all the #1 recruits we had that never panned out and it isn't hard to get to PM's "no consideration at all" perspective on IL rankings.
Maybe they need to change their algorithms or something.
xanders has never seen a "crafty attackman" he didn't want to give a 4 or 5 star rating to. Like Belichick seeing the opportunity to overdraft a navy special teams guy or a football reporter letting the world know that chris hogan played lacrosse.

you left off the 4th most important day on the schedule-roster update update day on the website. RIP mustache photo shoots.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:50 pm Look, if everyone at Hop is getting 25%, it really shouldn't be surprising that we're not getting "top ten" recruits because other schools are offering those guys more than 25%. And if we're giving 25% to the 12th guy in a recruiting class, the staff is just dumb (which they're not). I get the "lore", but there's got to be some heavy duty semantics going on there to make that statement "true". Epstein (our last #1 recruit), for example, didn't need a 100% "athletic scholarship", as, if I recall correctly, one of his parents was employed by the university. Some of our other recent top recruits probably qualified for substantial need based aid and thus didn't need a ton of "athletic" scholarship money either, but I'm also pretty sure they're not paying a ton out of pocket.
While they might not have done it per-NIL, I have first hand knowledge that Hopkins has been giving out 100% scholarships over the last two recruiting cycles. Was informed by a parent of a 2024 commit. Given that he is not their highest ranked commit, I’m guessing there are others who got similar offers.
coda

Post by coda »

BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:50 pm Look, if everyone at Hop is getting 25%, it really shouldn't be surprising that we're not getting "top ten" recruits because other schools are offering those guys more than 25%. And if we're giving 25% to the 12th guy in a recruiting class, the staff is just dumb (which they're not). I get the "lore", but there's got to be some heavy duty semantics going on there to make that statement "true". Epstein (our last #1 recruit), for example, didn't need a 100% "athletic scholarship", as, if I recall correctly, one of his parents was employed by the university. Some of our other recent top recruits probably qualified for substantial need based aid and thus didn't need a ton of "athletic" scholarship money either, but I'm also pretty sure they're not paying a ton out of pocket.
While they might not have done it per-NIL, I have first hand knowledge that Hopkins has been giving out 100% scholarships over the last two recruiting cycles. Was informed by a parent of a 2024 commit. Given that he is not their highest ranked commit, I’m guessing there are others who got similar offers.
I strongly doubt a High School kid got a full athletic scholarship (games could be played with financial aid). Like I said the rumor was Irelan got one. Based on the 2024 recruits, that would be a pretty stupid move.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

What they may have received is a net free ride from all sources Over the years there have been claims of a full athletic schollie that were really based on different sources or just puffery. So wbo are these recipients. I know a couple of families in the soph class.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:22 pm PM extended

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/9/8 ... nsion.aspx
I thought he was being fired?
“I wish you would!”
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:44 pm

What they may have received is a net free ride from all sources Over the years there have been claims of a full athletic schollie that were really based on different sources or just puffery. So wbo are these recipients. I know a couple of families in the soph class.
Correct it was a net full ride, part athletic scholarship, the rest funded by an NIL collective pool. All counts the same for the parents, they aren’t paying anything out of pocket.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:22 pm

I can appreciate how you would be confused - I cetainly couldn't keep the stories straight. I believe I read the following versions:
- Hired simply because he knew Baker
- Hired to run the program into the ground as part of Daniels and Bakers' bidding
- Too stupid to realize he was the worst coach in Hopkins history and his head was on the chopping block
- Too stupid to realize they had hired Crawley to replace him.

Fear not - the first sign of program struggles many of these posts will return
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:22 pm

I can appreciate how you would be confused - I cetainly couldn't keep the stories straight. I believe I read the following versions:
- Hired simply because he knew Baker
- Hired to run the program into the ground as part of Daniels and Bakers' bidding
- Too stupid to realize he was the worst coach in Hopkins history and his head was on the chopping block
- Too stupid to realize they had hired Crawley to replace him.

Fear not - the first sign of program struggles many of these posts will return
You forgot “low energy”….
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Coach got extended. What is the term. Seems u usual to omit the term.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Why does it matter? They have stated it's a "multi-year" extension. So 2026 at the very least - high probability it's longer than two years - takes more than two years to take the program to DIII. So if I told you I had absolute knowledge it was through 2028 what does that have to do with the price of bread? I don't know BTW but it's a clear signal the Daniels Baker Cabal is actively brewing potions.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's not unusual at all for the press release to not specify the exact length of the contract.

In any case, if you're able to read between the lines, seems like there's a good chance it's for 4 years. If his initial contract was due to expire at the end of the 2024 season, which the release implies, then that means it was a 4-year deal. Makes sense that the new one would be the same length. 4- and 5-year deals are the most common in lacrosse except in rare instances like the recent Breschi extension, which was shorter and meant to send a message, IMO.

There's a vid on the team instagram of freshman Zach Claiborne deadlifting 500 lbs. Not bad.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:50 pm It's not unusual at all for the press release to not specify the exact length of the contract.

In any case, if you're able to read between the lines, seems like there's a good chance it's for 4 years. If his initial contract was due to expire at the end of the 2024 season, which the release implies, then that means it was a 4-year deal. Makes sense that the new one would be the same length. 4- and 5-year deals are the most common in lacrosse except in rare instances like the recent Breschi extension, which was shorter and meant to send a message, IMO.

There's a vid on the team instagram of freshman Zach Claiborne deadlifting 500 lbs. Not bad.
I think what PM has done is actually remarkable, and he is deserving of the extension. Not only that, but it sends a message to recruits that he will likely be here through their time at JHU. This program had gone flat for more than a few reasons but the coach ultimately takes the blame, some of which he earned.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:50 pm There's a vid on the team instagram of freshman Zach Claiborne deadlifting 500 lbs. Not bad.
SSDM or offensive potential?
coda

Post by coda »

BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm

Correct it was a net full ride, part athletic scholarship, the rest funded by an NIL collective pool. All counts the same for the parents, they aren’t paying anything out of pocket.
I know there are rumors of Hopkins throwing around NIL money, but that on seems odd. Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class. That is a really poor ROI, if it is the case
coda

Post by coda »

BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm

I know there are rumors of Hopkins throwing around NIL money, but that on seems odd. Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class. That is a really poor ROI, if it is the case
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

sends the message to the kids he's recruiting that he's not going anywhere.

there hasn't been much publicly about a Hopkins NIL thing.

According to Newsday, recruit Carmelo Pace is banged up.
Gregg Sarra @Gregg_Sarra Sep 1 Freak injuries happen in sports. This is just awful. Two D-I athletes jump for a long pass and both get injured on first play of season. Carmelo Pace of Smithtown West (Hopkins lacrosse), broken wrist and Nick Zampieron of Comsewogue (Stony Brook baseball) broken leg. Terrible!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”