Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:25 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:05 pm Sounds like Trump and the R's will need a new sales pitch....

One sector of the northern border between the U.S. and Canada has seen more migrant apprehensions in FY 2023 so far than the last 10 years combined, with migrants from 76 countries hitting the often-overlooked border, a top official announced this week.

"Over 6,100 apprehensions from 76 different countries in just 11 months, surpassing the last 10 years combined," Swanton Sector Chief Patrol Agent Robert Garcia tweeted.

The sector, which covers the borders of New York, New Hampshire and Vermont with Canada, saw just over 1,000 Border Patrol apprehensions in all of FY 2022, and just 365 in FY 2021.

Gonna build a wall there, too? Or are the R's going to get off their *sses, and put a Immigration Reform bill on the floor, and actually do something about the REAL problems?
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/northe ... s-combined
Those numbers are still just a fraction of our southern border crossings, exacerbated by shifting CBP resources to the southern border.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. Keep focused on the southern border.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:13 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:40 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:30 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:52 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:47 pm
No need to be a mind reader, just ask a question for clarification, rather than making an assumption. My back and forth with MD yesterday is a prime example of how it can go.
Tried that. What happens is: you ask questions, and they get ignored. The same posters who complain about us not being mind readers don't answer questions, either. It's a swell and fun game where I'm the bad guy no matter what.

Any other ideas? How about the #1-#3, and take some of this on yourself? ;)
I'd be more than happy to restate/rephrase something....all I need is a prompt, otherwise I have to believe it was clear and the convo has now moved to a defensive posture.....those Debate Tactics in action.

Another idea, one that we could all benefit from here and at home, is some type of mirroring like "what I hear you saying is X, and if so, I believe Y". I am reminded of some great insight back in February of 22'...I think you'll agree.... ;)

I believe we have all been chatting with one another for so long, that we read many posts halfcocked because we already have a preconceived notion of where they stand before we even finish reading. For example, whenever I read a post by OS, I think... military background, strategic mindset, historical recall, problem solving, etc. Or when I read MDLAX....I think, old school conservative, frustrated by his party, trying to hang on, but identifying more and more with the opposition, and with you.....I think, sees through political BS smoke and mirrors, frustrated at the fiscal lunacy, hates double speak, and wishes he had a party to truly identify with...so he's mad at them all.
What do we do about reducing demand for drugs in this country? How do we hold US Citizens accountable for the high degree of drug trafficking in this country?
1. Apollo program for Mental Health care......move things back to where they were before Reagan tore that all apart, and then some.

2. Treat Americas suburbs the same way illegal drug users are treated in America's more dangerous cities----if you start seeing your hip classmates shipped off to Federal prison, the message will be recieved REAL fast.

Picture "the Wire" police treatment....except instead of raiding projects in Bmore, you're raiding St. Pauls et. al. Six figure parents will figure it out REAL quick if their "ladies who lunch" circle gets smaller becauise of all the drug busts. We had 1,200 Fenatyl deaths in Colorado in 2021, with richie-rich Boulder getting hit hard.
Prohibition redux? How’d that work out? Besides creating some new millionaires and criminalizing a broad swath of entrepreneurial young men? Oh, wait, I think I’ve seen this movie already…
Disagree. What we are doing NOW is Prohibition Pt.II electric boogaloo: these drugs are illegal, and policing goes after the poor and the dealers. They leave everyone with money and connections completely alone....just like in the 20's.

Unless a rich kid is caught as a major dealer. And even then......

My two suggestions will NEVER happen, so pay it no mind.
Okay, I’ll play. What should be done with pharma corps who are de facto drug pushers, e.g. the Sacklers?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:25 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:05 pm Sounds like Trump and the R's will need a new sales pitch....

One sector of the northern border between the U.S. and Canada has seen more migrant apprehensions in FY 2023 so far than the last 10 years combined, with migrants from 76 countries hitting the often-overlooked border, a top official announced this week.

"Over 6,100 apprehensions from 76 different countries in just 11 months, surpassing the last 10 years combined," Swanton Sector Chief Patrol Agent Robert Garcia tweeted.

The sector, which covers the borders of New York, New Hampshire and Vermont with Canada, saw just over 1,000 Border Patrol apprehensions in all of FY 2022, and just 365 in FY 2021.

Gonna build a wall there, too? Or are the R's going to get off their *sses, and put a Immigration Reform bill on the floor, and actually do something about the REAL problems?
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/northe ... s-combined
Those numbers are still just a fraction of our southern border crossings, exacerbated by shifting CBP resources to the southern border.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. Keep focused on the southern border.
And where will businesses get their slave labor?

Until the existing laws regarding undocumented, illegal workers (including sex workers like Melania) are enforced, I can’t believe that any of this is a serious, reasoned approach to addressing this issue. By the by, this will only get worse as the equatorial latitudes grow increasingly inhospitable to life.

Can you not admit the choices before us because you honestly don’t believe the threat, or because you can’t syand to contemplate what’s coming?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm Okay, I’ll play. What should be done with pharma corps who are de facto drug pushers, e.g. the Sacklers?
Totally different subject.....legal drugs.
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:51 pm Until the existing laws regarding undocumented, illegal workers (including sex workers like Melania) are enforced, I can’t believe that any of this is a serious, reasoned approach to addressing this issue. By the by, this will only get worse as the equatorial latitudes grow increasingly inhospitable to life.
I agree completely. This is step one...ignore who is coming in....focus on WHY they are coming in.

And I already said, multiple times: build the wall so that Republicans will shut up about that, allowing us to move on to WHY they are coming here.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:52 am NYC Mayor keeping it real: https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 94545?s=20

No problem right? Just raise taxes....right?
Now in Chicago: https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 41283?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:52 am NYC Mayor keeping it real: https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 94545?s=20

Your “endwokeness” posts always feature black people. Not sure you noticed that….
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

So...where's your party's bill to fix this? You guys have been complaining about this for decades now, have you not?

So...where's the bill, and why aren't you holding your Republican leaders responsible for getting one passed?
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:53 am

So...where's your party's bill to fix this? You guys have been complaining about this for decades now, have you not?

So...where's the bill, and why aren't you holding your Republican leaders responsible for getting one passed?
Organizing buses to deliver immigrants to urban population centers is funnier and gets more mileage with the base.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:56 am

Organizing buses to deliver immigrants to urban population centers is funnier and gets more mileage with the base.
Yep. Shiny objects, TinFoilhats, and "the Dems are bad" is their idea of fixing problems now. Sooper-Awesome. More please.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:00 am

Yep. Shiny objects, TinFoilhats, and "the Dems are bad" is their idea of fixing problems now. Sooper-Awesome. More please.
Take it up with the fed up black folks in Chicago and NY who are being shunned...they are the ones complaining and that have voted democratic the entire time. Remember I was trying to point this out a few weeks ago, about the black community being fed up and received the same ole BS replies about the source and the R party.

Seems if you take the BS hat off, and realize that I am advocating with them, maybe you'd all reconsider your nasty tone.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Here we go again. Your injecting common sense into the discussion. There is no reason or motivation for either party to fix anything. If both sides wanted it fixed it would have been accomplished after Reagan declared amnesty for illegals in the 1980s. If memory serves me correct fixing the immigration issue at the southern border was SUPPOSE to be part 2 of that little arrangement. I guess the folks in DC were just too damn busy to get around to doing it. The reality is that despite all the political bloviating the status quo is fine with everybody. I actually feel sorry for the mayor of NYC. He has to cram 21,000 new students into a school system that already is overcrowded and understaffed. They are putting a happy face on it but it is a huge challenge for NYC. If I understand correctly there will still be more new students on the way soon.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:06 am

Take it up with the fed up black folks in Chicago and NY who are being shunned...they are the ones complaining and that have voted democratic the entire time. Remember I was trying to point this out a few weeks ago, about the black community being fed up and received the same ole BS replies about the source and the R party.

Seems if you take the BS hat off, and realize that I am advocating with them, maybe you'd all reconsider your nasty tone.
:lol: :lol: :lol: hence your daily “endwokeness” feed….great deceiver stuff.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:11 am

Yea....you got me, ID'd perfectly. Seems you have major trust issues....Karen.
~Livy

DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm Okay, I’ll play. What should be done with pharma corps who are de facto drug pushers, e.g. the Sacklers?
Nope, not different.
If "legal drugs", as opposed to illegal drugs and trafficking, is okay then legalize all of them and let Big Pharma distribute (push) them too. No more illegal drug trafficking, not as attractive a country to bring your goods to then. Stop making criminals out of users, deal with the problem with professionals who might be able to help them. How many years have we been doing the same thing now.....there's that definition of insanity, no?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ok, but how about acknowledging that the MAGA GOP is totally feckless and brain dead in their response to the issue, choosing instead to yell and posture about the problem but never any serious effort to solve it? Performative only.

We've been having serious discussion here about measures that would really matter, addressing both immigration and the drug scourge, but the MAGA GOP answers are cages, busing, an impossible and pointless "wall", and unilaterally bombing Mexico...stupid, brain-dead designed only to ramp up rage.

Not actual, workable solutions.

I'd like to see what could happen if MAGA is defeated thoroughly and a Dem moderate majority actually has the power to enact sweeping reforms up to this challenge...will they? We know that they won't take it on in divided and obstructionist government, but will they if they have sufficient power to do so? I'd like to put that to the test...but if they don't, look for it to become an issue that could animate a new coalition of moderate Republicans and Independents.

When one actually thinks of these problems through an economic lens and one, like any good fiscal conservative should, thinks about as 'what's the most effective and cost-efficient' policy', these reforms become more obvious.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:11 am

Yea....you got me, ID'd perfectly. Seems you have major trust issues....Karen.
I am ID’ing what you post……you are not a victim….Lance.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:58 am
Nope, not different.
If "legal drugs", as opposed to illegal drugs and trafficking, is okay then legalize all of them and let Big Pharma distribute (push) them too. No more illegal drug trafficking, not as attractive a country to bring your goods to then. Stop making criminals out of users, deal with the problem with professionals who might be able to help them. How many years have we been doing the same thing now.....there's that definition of insanity, no?
I'm almost 100% with you except for the "pushing"; I think decriminalization and effective regulation of addictive drugs only works when there isn't the same incentive to "push" them. Some drugs need to be price-controlled, carefully regulated, such that there are slim profits to produce but sufficient that generic producers will do so under contract with the government and distributed in a manner through regulated pharmacies and healthcare providers. They shouldn't have the profit potential that led to the nefarious schemes done by the Sacklers and others to "push" addiction. Indeed, the incentives should be to reduce demand, though not through price.

I suspect that you agree with this, didn't mean the "push" that way...
a fan

Post by a fan »

Happy to apologize for the tone, I'm wrong for being snide. I'm just frustrated that both Republican leadership and their voters have been screaming bloody murder about this problem, and have done NOTHING to get a bill done. Don't you find that at the very least....weird? That Republicans haven't been working on solutions for the last two decades.

In short: Where's the Freaking Bill that at least TRIES to fix some of these problems?

It's hard to not get angry about this, YA. It's like having a petulant child cry and scream that their room is dirty.......uh, ok kid, stop whining, and clean yer dam room!!!
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:58 am
Nope, not different.
Oh....I didn't understand what DMac meant.

I thought fentanyl was already legal...prescription based.

Return to “POLITICS”