Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:44 pm I clicked on studies that included the EU as well. They also cite an achievement gap between single & 2 parent homes.
Not as large a gap as the US & a smaller % of single family homes.
Yes. And that "not as large a gap".....imho, it's worth exploring why that is. This tells me worrying about single family homes is a waste of time, at least in terms of educational outcomes.
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm Family, including extended family, is not "the village". Hillary didn't limit her village to extended family.
Sure it is! Did the folks at your pop's grocery store look out for you? Or the coaches and teachers at your K-12? If you mean that "the village" means the government....well, that's what your public school was: the government. Hillary was right. And it was a REALLY conservative thing to say, if you ask me.

I can remember one of my dad's friends ratting me out and calling my dad to tell him I was driving like a moron on the way to High School. The village, not my family, guiding my behavior. And believe me----it worked!
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:08 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:44 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:33 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm In every study I click on, it's a given that there's an achievement gap between single & 2 parent homes.
Me, too....but those studies are American. Looking at other countries that have a higher rate of single parent homes yet have better educational outcomes, obviously something else is happening here in the US that isn't happening in EU countries. In other words, it's correlated, not causal. We're missing the cause. I don't know what the cause is.
I clicked on studies that included the EU as well. They also cite an achievement gap between single & 2 parent homes.
https://www.educationnext.org/internati ... nt-family/
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm It's not woke PC to acknowledge that it's a factor. We need the votes of single women, especially black single moms, grannies, aunties & women voters who grew up in those homes. Can't insult them. The nuc family is an archaic relic of white privilege. The village can do it.
The nuclear family is specifically a relic of privileged whites, my man...starting post WWII with the rise of the American middle class.

The rest of America's history, and for most minorities? You had multi-generational households..."the village", as you put it.
Family, including extended family, is not "the village". Hillary didn't limit her village to extended family.

The Post War Nuclear family got rid of that. Do you want to blame that for our educational problems?
It's a factor that should not be dismissed or minimized, imo.
Of course it's a factor, but not the primary factor, and somehow the Europeans overcome that particular factor much better than we do.

Why? How?

1) Many more single parents live with other adults in the household in Europe than here. Cultural difference that favors the "village", whether extended family or multi-family, over autonomy. (I have some bias on this as we built a house that accommodated my parents plus my wife's brother, and my sister and her husband and 3 kids right next door...lots of adult attention and that was a big part of the point.)

2) Most of Europe has much more generous maternity and paternity and general leave policies, child care, etc versus US.

3) Much higher emphasis on public school education, higher respect and pay for teachers,...and ugh, not much time allotted for sports...

But of course it's harder for a single parent to raise a child, much less multiple children. Particularly in poverty. Europe makes it easier, not harder to do so, though it's obviously still a significant issue...but as you indicate, less achievement gap in those households than here.

4) But is it really people choosing to have children without a spouse or other adult to help, or does our astronomical incarceration rate have something to with why so many poor households have no fathers at home?

Makes you wonder...maybe we could do this differently?

Obama wasn't wrong, and it deserves discussion, though emphasis on race misses the point, which is how it gets twisted. But grifters like Sowell and Woodson are playing the grift.
I never said it was the primary factor. I said it should not be minimized or ignored for political expediency.
Multi-generational family homes are not just more common in the EU. They're closer to the norm in Asia.
Obama was delivering the same message as Sowell & Woodson. Does that make him a grifter too ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:28 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm In every study I click on, it's a given that there's an achievement gap between single & 2 parent homes.
Me, too....but those studies are American. Looking at other countries that have a higher rate of single parent homes yet have better educational outcomes, obviously something else is happening here in the US that isn't happening in EU countries. In other words, it's correlated, not causal. We're missing the cause. I don't know what the cause is.
I clicked on studies that included the EU as well. They also cite an achievement gap between single & 2 parent homes.
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm It's not woke PC to acknowledge that it's a factor. We need the votes of single women, especially black single moms, grannies, aunties & women voters who grew up in those homes. Can't insult them. The nuc family is an archaic relic of white privilege. The village can do it.
The nuclear family is specifically a relic of privileged whites, my man...starting post WWII with the rise of the American middle class.

The rest of America's history, and for most minorities? You had multi-generational households..."the village", as you put it.
Family, including extended family, is not "the village". Hillary didn't limit her village to extended family.

The Post War Nuclear family got rid of that. Do you want to blame that for our educational problems?
Of course it's a factor, but not the primary factor, and somehow the Europeans overcome that particular factor much better than we do.

Why? How?

1) Many more single parents live with other adults in the household in Europe than here. Cultural difference that favors the "village", whether extended family or multi-family, over autonomy. (I have some bias on this as we built a house that accommodated my parents plus my wife's brother, and my sister and her husband and 3 kids right next door...lots of adult attention and that was a big part of the point.)

2) Most of Europe has much more generous maternity and paternity and general leave policies, child care, etc versus US.

3) Much higher emphasis on public school education, higher respect and pay for teachers,...and ugh, not much time allotted for sports...

But of course it's harder for a single parent to raise a child, much less multiple children. Particularly in poverty. Europe makes it easier, not harder to do so, though it's obviously still a significant issue...but as you indicate, less achievement gap in those households than here.

4) But is it really people choosing to have children without a spouse or other adult to help, or does our astronomical incarceration rate have something to with why so many poor households have no fathers at home?

Obama wasn't wrong, and it deserves discussion, though emphasis on race misses the point, which is how it gets twisted. But grifters like Sowell and Woodson are playing the grift.
I never said it was the primary factor. I said it should not be minimized or ignored for political expediency.
Multi-generational family homes are not just more common in the EU. They're closer to the norm in Asia.
And yet no one on here suggested that we should "minimize" or "ignore" it for "political expediency".

It's simply NOT the driver of why these countries on average outperform us in education (excluding our most selective colleges which remain the envy of the world).

And focusing on that factor, saying we need a "culture change", citing black intellectuals (grifters) who focus on race and fatherhood...all smacks of the "welfare queen" excuse to not actually solve the issues...and why? To maintain the current structural status quo. The black intellectuals feeding the status quo, and being fed by it...sneering at Hillary's "it takes a village"...

Nah, blame the deadbeat dads (often in jail), or absent dads (often dead), or abusive dads (divorced or kicked out before marriage), blame the moms who want children regardless of whether there's a dependable man available...

No solutions...no action. Status quo.

The Europeans do this (not everything!) better than we do...we need to recognize that and learn from it, make it our own.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Why? How?

And yet no one on here suggested that we should "minimize" or "ignore" it for "political expediency".

It's simply NOT the driver of why these countries on average outperform us in education (excluding our most selective colleges which remain the envy of the world).

And focusing on that factor, saying we need a "culture change", citing black intellectuals (grifters) who focus on race and fatherhood...all smacks of the "welfare queen" excuse to not actually solve the issues...and why? To maintain the current structural status quo. The black intellectuals feeding the status quo, and being fed by it...sneering at Hillary's "it takes a village"...

Nah, blame the deadbeat dads (often in jail), or absent dads (often dead), or abusive dads (divorced or kicked out before marriage), blame the moms who want children regardless of whether there's a dependable man available...

The Europeans do this (not everything!) better than we do...we need to recognize that and learn from it, make it our own.
:roll: ...as usual. When you butt into one of my exchanges with afan, you miss the original point we are discussing & go off on a tangent, using it as a trigger to pontificate. I read afan's response (see below) as dismissive or minimizing, which is why I responded to him..

Because something offends your woke PC sensibilities does not invalidate it. Like Obama, Sowell & Woodson are encouraging their fellow black men to be responsible fathers.
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:13 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:05 am yes, higher unmarried parents.

Of course having only one parent makes it harder.
The difference is there's more social support, more emphasis on education.
You miss my point.

afan posted : " ...plenty of 1st world countries with higher divorce rates than the US with better educational outcomes."

I responded with : How 'bout unmarried parent(s) ?

In other words -- do plenty of 1st world countries have higher rates of single parent homes than the US ?
Yes. They do. Slightly higher in EU aggregate.

This is obviously not the problem.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Why? How?

:roll: ...as usual. When you butt into one of my exchanges with afan, you miss the original point we are discussing & go off on a tangent, using it as a trigger to pontificate. I read afan's response (see below) as dismissive or minimizing, which is why I responded to him..

Because something offends your woke PC sensibilities does not invalidate it. Like Obama, Sowell & Woodson are encouraging their fellow black men to be responsible fathers.

You miss my point.

afan posted : " ...plenty of 1st world countries with higher divorce rates than the US with better educational outcomes."

In other words -- do plenty of 1st world countries have higher rates of single parent homes than the US ?

I stand by my pontification. ;)
and if you want to have a private conversation take it to pm.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:36 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:21 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:17 pm

You miss my point.

Not the answer he was shooting for
I'd ask for data & sources, but it's not worth arguing about.
afan apparently thinks fatherless families don't make a difference.
If he feels he's irrelevant, so be it. I'm not going down that rabbit hole.
Happy to provide data a sources. But as you know, they're a click away for you if your'e interested. I'm telling you, that's not the problem. But if you want to start with that conclusion, and work backwards, you're welcome to do that.

Fatherless homes can make a difference, sure. Didn't say that it didn't. But so can two parents living together who argue all the time in front of their kids....I know a ton of kids who had that childhood, and were utterly lost in school as a result. Also know some who did just fine with those two arguing parents. Same goes for the kids with divorced parents. That's anecdotal, sure.

But the stats in 1st world nations are worse or better than the US in terms of single parents raising kids....yet they still kick our ***ses in education. So to me, obviously that's not THE problem.

You're a military man-----do you think that having some of those fathers (or mothers, for that matter) deployed for 6-12 month stretches, and away from their kid's formative years is inherently bad, and therefore having kids while having a military career is a no-no?
You seemed to discount, or minimize, the negative impact of single parent families.
Was I misreading you on that point ?

There are anecdotal examples of everything. Not all single parent families are "broken homes".
Many are a conscious decision to single parent a child. That's why I questioned the relevancy of divorce rate.

In every study I click on, it's a given that there's an achievement gap between single & 2 parent homes.
The US has the highest % of single parent families AND the largest achievement gap for students from single parent homes.
The higher % of single parent families is not the only cause for the US achievement gap, but it can't be discounted as irrelevant.

It's not woke PC to acknowledge that it's a factor. We need the votes of single women, especially single moms, grannies, aunties & women voters who grew up in those homes. Can't insult them. The nuc family is an archaic relic of white privilege. The village can do it.
A single parent family and a single parent home is not the same thing. Mixing/conflating the two here throws off everything else.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm You seemed to discount, or minimize, the negative impact of single parent families.
Yes, misreading my personal feelings. For me personally? I'd rather lose an arm than divorce my wife now that we're raising a kid. I've said many times that I"m more conservative than many here, believe it or not. This is one of those places.

GENERALLY, I believe it's a negative to not have a two parent home. But that's a personal opinion, and has nothing to do with science-based macroeconomic outcomes.

Two parent homes have two income capacity for one set of overhead leading to lower costs basis for a family to raise a child and childcare offerings are superior in Europe so a single parent household can succeed economically. End results of those economic considerations in the child’s development explain the difference. Pretty straightforward. Saw it firsthand when my parents finally and appropriately split and then had to pay for two households on low Mgt state jobs-it’s the boomer generation that’s held onto the mythology of keeping parents together no matter how much that environment terrorizes their children, self centered stuff. The difference economically in one home and two is massive and that was before real estate ran due to financialization of the asset let alone since CRA expansion and the securitization explosion in the 90s/2000s.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I read this in the news today and it was worth a good laugh at the irony. I guess the Ben and Jerry's folks made a big tah do at a July 4th event. That included the US as a nation that stole the land of native Americans. In an odd twist the local native American tribe where B & J makes ice cream asked the owners to give them their land back which was stolen from them. So far no response from the owners of Ben and Jerry's on that request. ;). That request also included the return of Mt Rushmore, no response yet from the federal government.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:07 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm You seemed to discount, or minimize, the negative impact of single parent families.
Yes, misreading my personal feelings. For me personally? I'd rather lose an arm than divorce my wife now that we're raising a kid. I've said many times that I"m more conservative than many here, believe it or not. This is one of those places.

GENERALLY, I believe it's a negative to not have a two parent home. But that's a personal opinion, and has nothing to do with science-based macroeconomic outcomes.

Two parent homes have two income capacity for one set of overhead leading to lower costs basis for a family to raise a child and childcare offerings are superior in Europe so a single parent household can succeed economically. End results of those economic considerations in the child’s development explain the difference. Pretty straightforward. Saw it firsthand when my parents finally and appropriately split and then had to pay for two households on low Mgt state jobs-it’s the boomer generation that’s held onto the mythology of keeping parents together no matter how much that environment terrorizes their children, self centered stuff. The difference economically in one home and two is massive and that was before real estate ran due to financialization of the asset let alone since CRA expansion and the securitization explosion in the 90s/2000s.
If thats the culprit... single parents having a lack of financial resources at home? Then it's obvious why EU countries do better with education.....they have more socialized resources at their disposal than we have in the US.
old salt

Post by old salt »

There are just different degrees of difficulty, whether single parent, single income, extended family or nuc family.

It's not a boomer gen fantasy. Intact families, of 2 parents, living above the poverty line, still exist, despite protests & anecdotal examples otherwise.

Absence abuse, it's in the child's best interest.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:29 pm There are just different degrees of difficulty, whether single parent, single income, extended family or nuc family.

It's not a boomer gen fantasy. Intact families, of 2 parents, living above the poverty line, still exist, despite protests & anecdotal examples otherwise.

I don't think there's been any argument on that...it's just not the reason why US education outcomes on average are not up to those of numerous other developed countries.

Nor is hoping, wishing, praying for some sort of change a remotely appropriate solution.

Understanding that it's a reality for numerous families and then addressing those challenges better...now we're talking.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:44 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:29 pm There are just different degrees of difficulty, whether single parent, single income, extended family or nuc family.

I don't think there's been any argument on that...it's just not the reason why US education outcomes on average are not up to those of numerous other developed countries.

Nor is hoping, wishing, praying for some sort of change a remotely appropriate solution.

Understanding that it's a reality for numerous families and then addressing those challenges better...now we're talking.
Like most complex issues, there are multiple cause factors. This is one.
Apparently we differ on the significance of this factor.

Again. Good for Obama for addressing the issue & taking action.
Unfortunately, his party has since reverted to negative divisiveness & defensiveness on this factor.
e.g. forgiving interest payment on delinquent child support payments as reparations.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Define abuse too. To me it’s simply, does it consistently engage the fight or flight in your child which is an unhealthy marriage not just some direct explicit form some would constrain it to. That’s the problem, defining health two parent relationship.

And give me a break that one person isn’t clearly viewing this through the lens of skin color. It’s impossible to ignore given comments made.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:00 pm

Like most complex issues, there are multiple cause factors. This is one.
Apparently we differ on the significance of this factor.

Again. Good for Obama for addressing the issue & taking action.
Unfortunately, his party has since reverted to negative divisiveness & defensiveness on this factor.
e.g. forgiving interest payment on delinquent child support payments as reparations.
Pretty sure the debt relief is for the 10% government charged interest accrual, not the actual obligation.

Which relief is done in 36 states.

But yeah, if you look at what the "war on drugs" has differentially done with black communities versus white, there's indeed some institutionalized racism in there...I see the point, though I don't think you'd actually get alot of mainstream Dems, much less Joe Biden, advocating for actual obligation relief as "reparations", for dads who have the ability to contribute. Nope.

Here's why this focus bothers me...it's an excuse to avoid the actual issues of improving our education system, it's a purposeful shifting of the problem from those responsible for underfunding education and childcare to those who suffer most from that underfunding.

Why? Because it means tax dollars going to benefit families not in my immediate family/community...more tax dollars...and the 'haves' are perfectly fine with the status quo...see, it's the 'welfare queens' and those darn Dems who encourage them...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is just insanity...so now getting, maintaining, physical fitness is a right wing extremist thing? I'd think even the lefties like MDLAXfan
would be against this. ;) :lol:

White supremacists' latest scheme to valorize violence and hypermasculinity has gone digital.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opi ... y-n1292463
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:40 pm This is just insanity...so now getting, maintaining, physical fitness is a right wing extremist thing? I'd think even the lefties like MDLAXfan
would be against this. ;) :lol:

White supremacists' latest scheme to valorize violence and hypermasculinity has gone digital.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opi ... y-n1292463
Yep. Full on froot loops. Ask her if she thinks Title IX led to millions of girls "going Nazi".

1+1= no, because squirrels can't dance logic.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

John Fetterman has assumed a new Persona. He has chosen the Walter White look. It works well for him. He is unrecognizable and nonunstandable all at the same time. He looks really good, really solid. He is ready to cook chrysal baby.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:24 pm John Fetterman has assumed a new Persona. He has chosen the Walter White look. It works well for him. He is unrecognizable and nonunstandable all at the same time. He looks really good, really solid. He is ready to cook chrysal baby.
Least you could do is credit the NY Post which had the story first :oops:
https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/sen-john- ... ter-white/
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:43 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:24 pm John Fetterman has assumed a new Persona. He has chosen the Walter White look. It works well for him. He is unrecognizable and nonunstandable all at the same time. He looks really good, really solid. He is ready to cook chrysal baby.
Least you could do is credit the NY Post which had the story first :oops:
https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/sen-john- ... ter-white/
You just did...
Bob Ross:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Oligarchy Has Arrived. Congress Must Take Notice — and Act!
We’ve reached a tipping point in our nation today. Extreme wealth is begetting extreme power, in turn begetting even more extreme wealth. The resulting stranglehold our richest hold over our democratic institutions has led to a government that caters to billionaires while working citizens struggle to make their voices heard. This imbalance doesn’t just weaken the integrity of our democracy. This imbalance emboldens extremist ideologies that thrive whenever masses of people become politically disillusioned.

We face a stark choice. Will we allow a handful of individuals to wield their wealth like a weapon against our nation’s bedrock principles? Or will we rise to the occasion, defend our democracy, and reaffirm our commitment to a society that offers real opportunity and disperses power — instead of letting that power concentrate among a fabulously wealthy few?

Those of us working with Patriotic Millionaires see the OLIGARCH Act as more than just a piece of legislation. We see it as a statement of purpose, a declaration that the American people will not stand idly by and watch the principles we hold dear erode away. We see the OLIGARCH Act as a call to action that asks each and every one of us to join the chorus demanding change. By urging our congressional representatives to co-sponsor and pass this transformative legislation, we pave the way for a future where democratic capitalism thrives, inequality recedes, and the American way of life endures.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes

Return to “POLITICS”