York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: York 2024

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:23 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 pm Can’t be a top 4 team without 5th years in my opinion. You can get close but that extra year is a huge benefit. Good year for York to make some noise if there ever was one. Thinking no more than 5 losses and more like 4 with that schedule.
Tufts is but yes I see your point. It’ll be interesting over the next two years what happens to some of these programs.

CNU is a great example, they are littered with 5/6th year players and may graduate more than I’ve ever seen any team graduate after this season. I mean they’re going to lose like 90% of their scoring and like 600+ starts. Even if they’ve recruited well they will have so many guys that are upperclassmen that have 0 experience.

A program like York saw a number of talented underclass transfers out of its middle classes feels very propped up by its 5th years. I’m not sure that York is even a preseason top 20 team without them. Take away Harnick, Grayson, Blackmon, and Facciponti along with the underclass transfers and this group would be pretty avg
So you are saying if York wasn’t allowed to have 5th year players, they wouldn’t be as good as the other teams with 5th year players?
No. Firstly, even with the 5th years they aren’t as good as Salisbury, CNU, RIT, or Tufts. They need 5th years just to be a fringe top 10 team.

I’m saying that the loss of some of their most talented underclassman is likely going to be felt more in 2025 than 2024.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

CNU and RIT would not be as good without there 5th and 6th year kids, let not fool ourselves into thinking otherwise. Does Salisbury win last year without 6th year Ferrara?
Last edited by Asgot on Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:42 pm Canal and RIT would not be as good without there 5th and 6th year kids, let not fool ourselves into thinking otherwise. Does Salisbury win last year without 6th year Ferrara?
I think that’s my point. Salisbury is doing it and winning championships, York is doing it and they are not even a top 10 team.

RIT has been reclassifying and gap yearing Canadian commits for over a decade. They’ve had Canadians play through the fall withdrawal and return in following year (effectively redshirting them) for years. So they’d probably be about the same.

CNU is ridiculously bloated with graduate players. I referenced that.

Salisbury just won big with an entire starting attack of grad players. They are getting some strong underclass transfers for 2024. They only beat Tufts in 2023 because of the COVID rules.

My point was that others are doing it and are legitimate national championship threats. York, and also Lynchburg are doing it and certainly are not national championship threats.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:57 pm
Asgot wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:42 pm Canal and RIT would not be as good without there 5th and 6th year kids, let not fool ourselves into thinking otherwise. Does Salisbury win last year without 6th year Ferrara?
I think that’s my point. Salisbury is doing it and winning championships, York is doing it and they are not even a top 10 team.

RIT has been reclassifying and gap yearing Canadian commits for over a decade. They’ve had Canadians play through the fall withdrawal and return in following year (effectively redshirting them) for years. So they’d probably be about the same.

Salisbury just won big with an entire starting attack of grad players. They are getting some strong underclass transfers for 2024. They only beat Tufts in 2023 because of the COVID rules.

My point was that others are doing it and are legitimate national championship threats. York, and also Lynchburg are doing it and certainly are not national championship threats.
York was in the final four two years ago. I would say that is pretty competitive
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:23 pm

York was in the final four two years ago. I would say that is pretty competitive
I’m aware. I am speaking about 2024.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:17 pm
Asgot wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:23 pm York was in the final four two years ago. I would say that is pretty competitive
I’m aware. I am speaking about 2024.
Are you though?
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:41 pm …I’m saying that the loss of some of their most talented underclassman is likely going to be felt more in 2025 than 2024.
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am …CNU…may graduate more than I’ve ever seen any team graduate after this season. I mean they’re going to lose like 90% of their scoring and like 600+ starts. Even if they’ve recruited well they will have so many guys that are upperclassmen that have 0 experience.

A program like York saw a number of talented underclass transfers out of its middle classes…
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:57 pm …RIT has been reclassifying and gap yearing Canadian commits for over a decade. They’ve had Canadians play through the fall withdrawal and return in following year (effectively redshirting them) for years…

Salisbury just won big with an entire starting attack of grad players... They only beat Tufts in 2023 because of the COVID rules.
You started out this classic troll job by asking if Harnick is taking a Grad year. Clearly you’re upset that other teams have the ability to use sanctioned grad years, and I’m sorry you have been made to feel this way.

I hope you’re basing the “fringe top 10” and “might not be pre season top 20” pot shots off the fact that W&L eked out a 1 goal overtime win off them last year… first win over York since 2008 (just a bit before 5th years were a viable excuse), so relish in it I suppose, as it might be a while until it happens again.

But frankly, when the team you follow loses talent, it’s all about the studs coming in who will be the next man up. Not that I expect you to, but you clearly haven’t been paying attention, as York has had very strong recruiting class after very strong recruiting class, and will likely be right where they left off. I suppose the bright side is if W&L loses to them this year, you can always go back to touting “high academic” etc etc as the reason, like has happened for years now.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 pm Can’t be a top 4 team without 5th years in my opinion. You can get close but that extra year is a huge benefit. Good year for York to make some noise if there ever was one. Thinking no more than 5 losses and more like 4 with that schedule.
Tufts is but yes I see your point. It’ll be interesting over the next two years what happens to some of these programs.

CNU is a great example, they are littered with 5/6th year players and may graduate more than I’ve ever seen any team graduate after this season. I mean they’re going to lose like 90% of their scoring and like 600+ starts. Even if they’ve recruited well they will have so many guys that are upperclassmen that have 0 experience.

A program like York saw a number of talented underclass transfers out of its middle classes feels very propped up by its 5th years. I’m not sure that York is even a preseason top 20 team without them. Take away Harnick, Grayson, Blackmon, and Facciponti along with the underclass transfers and this group would be pretty avg
I think saying that they have had a number of talented kids transfer is a bit of an overstatement. They had 1 ( Mayer) Burbank and Kazella points will, IMO, easily be found within the kids already on the team, or one of the freshman. Kazella was a freshman that struggled to beat a pole and it was only the creativity of the staff that gave him opportunities to score.

If these kids are so talented where have they transferred to? It’s been radio silence for those two although I have heard rumors.

I fully admit the Mayer is going to be tough to replace but hopefully with a player who is a little less ball dominate they can share the load and actually have a number of kids replace them.

York will be solid of defense and have more consistency in the goal and still be dominate at the face of X.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

So you are saying that York, right now is not better than the 4 best teams from last year, ok, but RIT and Tufts also both lose a lot and Salisbury lost the best player in the country for the past two years.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Can you clarify this. Did Salisbury change uniforms??? Because the teams with the “s” on the helmet has only won a single championship during the bonus playing year era.

York might not be top 4 this year. But if they beat W&L again, what will that say about your favorite team?
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Why are you all so angry? Pretty sad talking so much turd about Division 3 lacrosse teams.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:12 pm
Can you clarify this. Did Salisbury change uniforms??? Because the teams with the “s” on the helmet has only won a single championship during the bonus playing year era.

York might not be top 4 this year. But if they beat W&L again, what will that say about your favorite team?
I’m sorry for making the word plural. How dare I indicate that Salisbury has won more than 1 championship.

I believe it would say that they are likely better than W&L at that time and perhaps the whole year? What else would it mean? What would it mean if W&L won?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

:roll: He’s just kicking the hornet’s nest as usual. But it sounds an awful lot like preemptive excuses for 2024 loses to CNU, York, Lynchburg and any other team he forgot to plug sporting 5th years that the Generals may face. Not a good look.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:33 am :roll: He’s just kicking the hornet’s nest as usual. But it sounds an awful lot like preemptive excuses for 2024 loses to CNU, York, Lynchburg and any other team he forgot to plug sporting 5th years that the Generals may face. Not a good look.
I would put all three of those teams in the same pool. No excuses, beat the teams in front of you. Just like W&L did last year, new year, new teams.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:01 am
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:33 am :roll: He’s just kicking the hornet’s nest as usual. But it sounds an awful lot like preemptive excuses for 2024 loses to CNU, York, Lynchburg and any other team he forgot to plug sporting 5th years that the Generals may face. Not a good look.
I would put all three of those teams in the same pool. No excuses, beat the teams in front of you. Just like W&L did last year, new year, new teams.
W&L was 50% at “beating the teams in front of them” vs the referenced programs last year, is that good? Such an odd flex, again jabbing about W&L winning last year, after retreating to “I’m talking about this year” if someone else references history for context in any capacity.

“York’s pretty avg, fringe top ten, propped up by 5ths, won’t be a pre season top 20” etc. Yet here you are gloating as though beating York was your NC. Looks like 7 straight losses over 15 years gave you a complex…
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:58 am
W&L was 50% at “beating the teams in front of them” vs the referenced programs last year, is that good? Such an odd flex, again jabbing about W&L winning last year, after retreating to “I’m talking about this year” if someone else references history for context in any capacity.

“York’s pretty avg, fringe top ten, propped up by 5ths, won’t be a pre season top 20” etc. Yet here you are gloating as though beating York was your NC. Looks like 7 straight losses over 15 years gave you a complex…
I haven’t been here very long. But long enough to realize insider has (either) a grudge, or inferiority complex, when it comes to York.

It’s not like York abuses the 5th year policy.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

2-1 = 50%? Not sure that checks out.

I’m not gloating about anything. I expect all of these teams (York, W&L, Lynchburg) to be in the 8-15 range throughout the year. They are very similar on paper. None of them are top 5 caliber teams on paper.

I feel like I have to mention this everytime, I don’t have an axe to grind with York. IT IS THE MOST ACTIVE TOPIC ON THE FORUM. The minute anyone has a contradictory opinion that York isn’t a top ten team or hasn’t recruited at the level all of the dads on here think they get real defensive.

The tops teams are benefiting heavily from COVID eligibility. That’s a fact. York is also, so is Lynchburg. My point was that they are doing it and are not national championship contenders.

W&L is not a national champs contender. I have at no point ever said that they are.

Heres a fun fact… for the last 2 seasons every single W&L game vs York and Lynchburg has come down to the final play of the game.

2022 York w over W&L - York invert goal w/under minute to win 8-7
2022 W&L w over Lynchburg - W&L Defensive CT with 40secs left to hold on to 1 goal win
2023 W&L w over York - W&L OT goal after a tying goal with under a minute left
2023 Lynchburg w over W&L - Lynchburg goal with under 20 sec left to tie game, Lynchburg OT goal.
2023 W&L w over Lynchburg - W&L Defensive stand and CT with under 10sec left to win by 1

I’d say these teams are very equal. In fact how anybody could say anything other than games between these three teams would be a coin toss would be a mystery to me.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

But isn’t York 5-1 against W&L in its last 6 games? Doesn’t sound even.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:24 pm

4 games played vs the opponents being discussed in 2023. Their record was 2-2= 50%.
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:24 pm ….
I feel like I have to mention this everytime, I don’t have an axe to grind with York. IT IS THE MOST ACTIVE TOPIC ON THE FORUM. The minute anyone has a contradictory opinion that York isn’t a top ten team or hasn’t recruited at the level all of the dads on here think they get real defensive…

I’d say these teams are very equal. In fact how anybody could say anything other than games between these three teams would be a coin toss would be a mystery to me.
If you have to mention that you don’t have an axe to grind “every time” then perhaps every time you come across as having an axe to grind. *shrugs*

Regarding defensive responses, I recall a time recently where someone posted, contrary to all the positivity on the W&L thread, about their losses due to graduation. You responded quickly in disagreement. Is it not being defensive, if you are the one doing it? Perhaps it is YOU who people not allowed to disagree with? Just food for thought.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:22 pm But isn’t York 5-1 against W&L in its last 6 games? Doesn’t sound even.
Yes and when Jack Michael, Brendan O’Sullivan, Ethan Greene, Tyler Nation, Ben Mayer, Ryan Kennedy, Thomas Pfeifer, Hunter Davis, Dylan Wolf, and Matt Witcher show up on the 2024 roster I’ll tip the scales heavily in Yorks favor. But right now, the talent between the programs is negligible.
York has 2 guys from that era who are mainstays on PLL rosters, it’s very impressive. I would challenge anyone to point to a player on York, W&L, or Lynchburg that looks at all like a PLL prospect. There isn’t one.

So either W&L is getting better or Yorks getting worse. You can decide which it is.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:38 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:24 pm

4 games played vs the opponents being discussed in 2023. Their record was 2-2= 50%.
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:24 pm ….
I feel like I have to mention this everytime, I don’t have an axe to grind with York. IT IS THE MOST ACTIVE TOPIC ON THE FORUM. The minute anyone has a contradictory opinion that York isn’t a top ten team or hasn’t recruited at the level all of the dads on here think they get real defensive…

If you have to mention that you don’t have an axe to grind “every time” then perhaps every time you come across as having an axe to grind. *shrugs*

Regarding defensive responses, I recall a time recently where someone posted, contrary to all the positivity on the W&L thread, about their losses due to graduation. You responded quickly in disagreement. Is it not being defensive, if you are the one doing it? Perhaps it is YOU who people not allowed to disagree with? Just food for thought.
Didn’t know we were discussing CNU. CNU is better than all of the teams mentioned.

I believe I corrected that poster and mentioned that some of players he said were losses, were sophomores. I also mentioned that graduating 30% of your points is a generally low amount to graduate. And returning 9/14 starters is generally thought of as being good. I also corrected the poster who mentioned that Pokorny was the top attackman and was covered by the top pole, that was incorrect, Hillis Burns was the top attackman and always drew the opponents top defender in 2023. Against Gettysburg Burns was injured and Pokorny still drew the second defender, Joey Allen drew Puckhaber.

I also in the same post mentioned that the biggest concerns for W&L were goalie and FO which were not mentioned. I mentioned that W&L was extremely poor in goal until late in the year. After they switched to Seeds they found more success and ended the year at 13-2, avenging 2 of their losses. Given that information I’m sure W&L is far more worried about finding a competent goalie then replacing 1 offensive starter, considering they return 5/6 offensive starters from an offense that AVG 17.5gpg, was second in the nation in assists (Pokorny led the team), and was top ten in every single offensive category. I also mentioned that FOs were a concern and that although they return the 1st team all-ODAC FO man and HM all-American at FO, that he struggled against anybody who was considered good and was a huge weak link against Salisbury. So I feel like pointing out far greater concerns isn’t being defensive.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”