NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxguy48

Re: NESCAC

Post by laxguy48 »

Predicting 2024 All Nescac

A Will Byrne (Bowdoin)
A Russell Thorndike (Middlebury)
A Charlie Taglifieri (Tufts) I see him making the bump down to attack following Tuft's graduations
M Tom Conley/Patrick Jamin(Middlebury)
M DJ Dixon/Ck Giancola (Wesleyan)
M Kevin Christmas (Tufts) someone is going to produce out of this line
D Joey Waldbaum (Tufts)
D Luke Simpson (Middlebury)
D Jayme Wilde (Hamilton)
G Connor Garzone (Tufts)
SSDM Zach Goorno (Bowdoin)
LSM Michael Ayers (Tufts)
FO Nicholas Kopp (Amherst)

Potential/Sleeper Picks for Each Team:
Tufts - Ethan O'Neill (SSDM)
Middlebury - Teddy Curran (D)
Amherst - Mitch Likins (G)
Wesleyan - Tyler Campbell (FO)
Bowdoin - Matt Ward (A/M)
Williams - Calvin Caputo (A)
Colby - Brooks Rayment (SSDM)
Bates - Will Masterson (A)
Hamilton - Jack Fried (G)
Conn - Will Rice (G) not really a sleeper was a second teamer in '22
Trinity - Johnny Cowdrick (LSM)
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

New England Lax Journal’s latest had Trinity’s Tarnow on.
Around the 16:40 mark he briefly address’ 2022. And while he doesn’t go into anything specific regarding players leaving etc, he acknowledges there was a culture issue and personally owns doing a poor job as a coach detecting & handling it. It’s nice to see that sort of humility...

https://youtu.be/OZ5YdkIHiJo?si=HRglkxWiTo6FoHNy
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

NESCAC lands three on IL's "10 Big-Time DIII Commitments This Summer": https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/62032
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:52 pm New England Lax Journal’s latest had Trinity’s Tarnow on.
Around the 16:40 mark he briefly address’ 2022. And while he doesn’t go into anything specific regarding players leaving etc, he acknowledges there was a culture issue and personally owns doing a poor job as a coach detecting & handling it. It’s nice to see that sort of humility...

https://youtu.be/OZ5YdkIHiJo?si=HRglkxWiTo6FoHNy
Thanks for the heads up. I just listened to the podcast and was also impressed with his candor. As they were wrapping up, Kyle Devitte said something about how he was happily surprised by Coach Tarnow: "Sometimes you hear things and they're not right." With a young team last year and a strong crop of '23 and '24 recruits coming in -- and even a couple of D1 transfers -- Trinity should continue to progress next spring.
FairLax

Post by FairLax »

Thats great that Coach Tarnow showed humility and took the blame for the challenges that took place, but that gives little solace to those kids that were effected by his "poor job" and were essentially run off the team their senior year. Hopefully he learned from his lesson and that will never happen again. Roll Bants
acousticbiker

Post by acousticbiker »

NESCAC website is good for scores across all sports. Anyone know of an app that can push notifications of scores for selected NESCAC teams?
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

FairLax wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:58 pm Thats great that Coach Tarnow showed humility and took the blame for the challenges that took place, but that gives little solace to those kids that were effected by his "poor job" and were essentially run off the team their senior year. Hopefully he learned from his lesson and that will never happen again. Roll Bants
Fairlax your comments are way off base, the seniors were not run off in anyway.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:32 am NESCAC lands three on IL's "10 Big-Time DIII Commitments This Summer": https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/62032
I posted the following in another thread, but was curious as to the thoughts of the NESCAC folks as well:

Not specifically directed to CNU or any of the players mentioned, but it seems as though everybody has jumped on to the IL bandwagon and received a rating, especially in the 2024 and 2025 classes. There is no question that most of the 4 and 5 star rated kids are legit, but it seems as though there are lot more 3 star recruits out there these days. Look no further than some of the top NESCAC 2024 recruiting classes vs. the 2023 classes. Some of the NESCAC 2024 classes are loaded with 3 stars, while there were very few for 2023, which seems to suggest that a lot of these 3 stars were committing to those schools and schools like CNU, Salisbury, W&L, etc. in the past, they just did not go after a IL rating, as opposed to the 2024 class being overwhelmingly better than the 2023s
smoova

Post by smoova »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:02 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:32 am NESCAC lands three on IL's "10 Big-Time DIII Commitments This Summer": https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/62032
I posted the following in another thread, but was curious as to the thoughts of the NESCAC folks as well:

Not specifically directed to CNU or any of the players mentioned, but it seems as though everybody has jumped on to the IL bandwagon and received a rating, especially in the 2024 and 2025 classes. There is no question that most of the 4 and 5 star rated kids are legit, but it seems as though there are lot more 3 star recruits out there these days. Look no further than some of the top NESCAC 2024 recruiting classes vs. the 2023 classes. Some of the NESCAC 2024 classes are loaded with 3 stars, while there were very few for 2023, which seems to suggest that a lot of these 3 stars were committing to those schools and schools like CNU, Salisbury, W&L, etc. in the past, they just did not go after a IL rating, as opposed to the 2024 class being overwhelmingly better than the 2023s
Some poor IL staffer typically goes through the NESCAC committed lists and randomly assigns 3 star ratings to 50-75% of the players ... sometimes the ratings are assigned several months after the committment occurs. As recently as the 2022 class, I've seen IL give 3 stars to late commits who never saw the field their freshman year and zero stars to HS AAs who played material minutes in every game. Unfortunately, the whole exercise only serves to further erode any remaining credibility of the IL ranking system.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

smoova wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:20 pm

Some poor IL staffer typically goes through the NESCAC committed lists and randomly assigns 3 star ratings to 50-75% of the players ... sometimes the ratings are assigned several months after the committment occurs. As recently as the 2022 class, I've seen IL give 3 stars to late commits who never saw the field their freshman year and zero stars to HS AAs who played material minutes in every game. Unfortunately, the whole exercise only serves to further erode any remaining credibility of the IL ranking system.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that at one time it was a fee based assessment from IL, is that still the case. If so, just another way to grift stressed out players and parents who think that the rating means anything.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm
smoova wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:20 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that at one time it was a fee based assessment from IL, is that still the case. If so, just another way to grift stressed out players and parents who think that the rating means anything.
As far as the numbers go on IL for the NESCAC - 1 three star for 2023 and 42 three stars for 2024
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

You are 100% correct that IL ratings are paid. If you don’t pay the $500 to have someone evaluate your tape, you don’t get rated. It is kind of like the UA all Americans.
I can 100% guarantee there are many kids with no rating, that are better than many of the 3 star kids. Seriously, is there such a thing as a 1 or 2 star? If you pay, do you automatically get 3 stars? Or is there a lower rating?
smoova

Post by smoova »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that at one time it was a fee based assessment from IL, is that still the case. If so, just another way to grift stressed out players and parents who think that the rating means anything.
Pay-for-3 stars is an IL revenue stream and, as I mentioned above, IL also runs periodic campaigns to randomly assign stars after commitments. Looks like they forgot to do it for the 2023 NESCAC commits, but the 2022 and 2024 classes both received a liberal post-commitment sprinkling.

It's a pathetically transparent attempt to manufacture legitimacy: "70% of the Amherst/Middlebury/Tufts/etc 2024 commits were rated as 3 stars by Inside Lacrosse. If you pay us $$$, your son will get 3 stars ... and have a much better chance at a NESCAC."

Gross.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

The funny thing is the talking heads at IL love this board...they are always looking for news nuggets to pawn off as their own....If you upset them enough they will DM you...
Flag Down

Post by Flag Down »

My son plays in NESCAC, was rated a 3 star per IL. We never paid a dime but he was assigned three star after his senior season.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Flag Down wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:50 pm My son plays in NESCAC, was rated a 3 star per IL. We never paid a dime but he was assigned three star after his senior season.
Bingo.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

NNELax wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:27 am Told you they read the board....https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rams/62086
NNELax wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:27 am Told you they read the board....https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rams/62086
Ironically, I think that the overall recruiting class ranking for each school is just as worthless than the star ratings, even more so if the star rankings are part of the algorithm.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

shorelax12 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:19 am
Ironically, I think that the overall recruiting class ranking for each school is just as worthless than the star ratings, even more so if the star rankings are part of the algorithm.
I agree with this. So many variables go into how good a kid looks in high school. There are so many bad teams out there, so an average kid on an above average HS team, could play many games against bad teams, and look better. Video evaluations are tough also. By the time some of these kids make it to college, they might have good ratings, or a good shot, or are quick, but do they have lax iq? And how fast can they process that “on field” info. The 5 star kids have all of this. And most 5 star kids are followed throughout high school, that most pan out to be legit. It’s the 3 and 4 star that are missing something. Or several things.
There are probably more legit 4 and 5 star kids that never got a rating, then there are legit 3 and 4 star kids with the rating.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

I guess Lasagna couldn't stay away too long

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”