Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes we know you like Jen's dog - it's been brought up SEVERAL times - so it doesn't seem you tire of it - the emoji might have been a clue it was a joke.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm Yes we know you like Jen's dog - it's been brought up SEVERAL times - so it doesn't seem you tire of it - the emoji might have been a clue it was a joke.
Intuitional support is no joke.
:lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm Yes we know you like Jen's dog - it's been brought up SEVERAL times - so it doesn't seem you tire of it - the emoji might have been a clue it was a joke.
And yet you continue to post misleading BS knowing you know better. Happens more than it should. BTW i don’t use emojis.

Oh and i did not mention her dog. You did.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:47 am
OCanada wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:26 am

Tired of repeating this. I like Jen amd have sat down with her to discuss lax. I am from Rochester NY and know people who know PM. I don’t have a problem with him either in any major sense. Quibbles. I don’t care for Daniels orcthe previous AD. I have company

Ironic to be having a meeting w Hop this week I guess.
I actually saw Daniels at some of the games this last season. Maybe his interest level/engagement has increased??
-The issue with Daniels administration isn't going to be resolved by going to games.
-That sure looks like Degnon in this photo. Don't know when it was taken though.
https://twitter.com/GoTeamIMPACT
-Tuckers replacement seems to have the women on track for next season.
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... on-i-women
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Degnon officially back, via team Instagram/Twitter.

Attack
Angelus
Melendez
Degnon

Two grad students and a senior returning on attack, accounted for 160 pts last year and all three with shooting percentages north of 32%. Angelus the righty facilitator, Degnon the lefty sniper, Melendez the do-it-all dodger. Easily the best, most dynamic, and most experienced group we've had there since the law firm of Stanwick, Stanwick, and Brown.

Hope they're able to mix some of the freshmen/sophs in out of the box/on EMO/find other ways to get them involved. But this is undoubtedly good news for the Jays' 2024 prospects. 2025...well...we can cross that bridge later.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

congrats to degnon. had recently found how this may have gone down.

In 2018 there was an NCAA medical redshirt rule change. According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”

The hope is that this new rule change will decrease the frequency of season-ending injuries. Wear and tear can cause injuries to happen, and when they do happen, they are often severe

imma about 100 the rule used to read there was no participation in the latter 50% of contests allowed. where i got this doesn't reference exactly what change they're talking about, but no matter. if it's quoted like this or close to it now in the actual rulebook, an athlete can get injured prior to the halfway mark, play in games after as long as under the 30+% threshold, and then re-injure or just not be able to continue if considered season-ending.

blue jays pushing their chips in.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It would make sense given all that has occurred. Thete is a lot of money controlled by former laxers.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ok - can't resist
While I agree 100% that Hopkins is likely eschewing some freshmen development to return a graduate student player - so obviously they are hoping for a successful 2024 - this is still colllege lacrosse not pro sports. This is not a situation where they have offered a gazillion dollars to free agents to hopefully build some super team. The young man probably has another year at Carey (from the previously posted PressBox article "The Johns Hopkins star is interested in wealth management after he finishes his MBA at Johns Hopkins’ Carey Business School.") - so he was going to be around - and he wanted to play and someone from the much maligned Hopkins sports admin came up with the rule interpretation that got it done. If wg...'s rule citing is correct - no reason to believe it isn't - logical to assume the hold-up was around the documentation since whatever happened was in 2019. He's just one player - and while the thought of penciling in around 40 goals is nice - it's not like they found an extra year of eligibility for Mike O'Neil or Jack Thomas - this was not intended to generate a list of all the great Hopkins attackman - just an exaggeration to make a point. Any program in the country with a kid attending the school for a graduate degree would have likely tried exactly the same thing. If it works - you get a captain & leadership back and a lethal time and room shooter - I don't think there's anything more than that.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:51 am Ok - can't resist
While I agree 100% that Hopkins is likely eschewing some freshmen development to return a graduate student player - so obviously they are hoping for a successful 2024 - this is still colllege lacrosse not pro sports. This is not a situation where they have offered a gazillion dollars to free agents to hopefully build some super team. The young man probably has another year at Carey (from the previously posted PressBox article "The Johns Hopkins star is interested in wealth management after he finishes his MBA at Johns Hopkins’ Carey Business School.") - so he was going to be around - and he wanted to play and someone from the much maligned Hopkins sports admin came up with the rule interpretation that got it done. If wg...'s rule citing is correct - no reason to believe it isn't - logical to assume the hold-up was around the documentation since whatever happened was in 2019. He's just one player - and while the thought of penciling in around 40 goals is nice - it's not like they found an extra year of eligibility for Mike O'Neil or Jack Thomas - this was not intended to generate a list of all the great Hopkins attackman - just an exaggeration to make a point. Any program in the country with a kid attending the school for a graduate degree would have likely tried exactly the same thing. If it works - you get a captain & leadership back and a lethal time and room shooter - I don't think there's anything more than that.
Re: the bolded part above, I was actually just thinking about what another season might mean for Degnon on the all-time list...

He's already 8th in goals (ahead of Rabil) with 115. Another 40-goal season puts him in 3rd behind only Riordan and Brown. Sure, he'll have had an extra season to get there but 2020 was technically less than half a full season (6 games), so in terms of number of career games played it'll probably only be a handful more than usual.

Angelus can also climb the ranks — another productive season puts him right in the Cowan-Denihan-Dave Marr area creeping up on 200 pts.

Scary to think that those two might not even be the best attackman in that unit.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:07 am
Scary to think that those two might not even be the best attackman in that unit.
I think Melendez is a major talent. I'd love to see him take his game to the next level in '24.
It doesn't hurt that teams have to focus on both Angeles and Degnon now.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:07 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:51 am Ok - can't resist
Re: the bolded part above, I was actually just thinking about what another season might mean for Degnon on the all-time list...

He's already 8th in goals (ahead of Rabil) with 115. Another 40-goal season puts him in 3rd behind only Riordan and Brown. Sure, he'll have had an extra season to get there but 2020 was technically less than half a full season (6 games), so in terms of number of career games played it'll probably only be a handful more than usual.

Angelus can also climb the ranks — another productive season puts him right in the Cowan-Denihan-Dave Marr area creeping up on 200 pts.

It means very little. These guys need to have asterisks by their names. You cant compare a guy with 6 seasons, who is going to be 24/25 when he finishes his career to guys that played 4 seasons.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That ship sailed a long time ago, when you went from 3 varsity seasons, no freshman year — to, Duke guys with over 80 games played in their careers.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:10 am That ship sailed a long time ago, when you went from 3 varsity season, no freshman year — to, Duke guys with over 80 games played in their careers.
Guys like Gutering are different. They started all 4 years and their teams played deep in the tournament. That isnt the same situation by any stretch of the imagination.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Danowski, Greer - Jordan Wolf played over 80 games, one year Duke played 21 games,

Jack Thomas, otoh, played only 40 games - no freshman varsity year,

it helps to compare per game stats.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:28 am Danowski, Greer - Jordan Wolf played over 80 games, one year Duke played 21 games,

it helps to compare per game stats.
I understand that, but its not like these guys were back-ups as freshmen and given an extra season to develop due to Covid. Its a lot different having 20 games as a 6th year senior compared to playing 20 games as a freshmen. What would a 25 year old Rabil looked like playing college? You want to penalize players for being a big part of winning teams. Being an integral part of a team that went to Memorial Day weekend should be something celebrated, not discounted.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'16 you are right - as we have both said I believe 40 goal scorers - especially those with 30+% shot accuracy don't grow on trees. If he reaches 40 goals in '24 it will certainly place him in admirable company. It is Degnon's primary skill - however - as 15 career assists help illustrate what his job is.

I can see both sides of this games played discussion to a degree. It is arguable that '16's "games played" thought is a little more applicable than suggested. It is theoretically possible that a 14 game regular season - a win in the Big Tournament - and a run in the NCAA tournament gets you 19 or even 20 games which would put Degnon's total at 74 or 75 games - Rabil was at 62 same for Brown - Riordan's 184 goals was at a ridiculous 56. And want to know why Urso was a 4x 1st teamer? 208 points - pretty good especially from the midfield - 41 games - that's impossible. That's why PPG or GPG/APG are perhaps more meaningful than totals.
coda wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:02 am It means very little. These guys need to have asterisks by their names. You cant compare a guy with 6 seasons, who is going to be 24/25 when he finishes his career to guys that played 4 seasons.
I don't buy this one particularly as it applies to Degnon. He had 3 token appearances his freshman year cut short by injury - so he was a medical redshirt. Happens ALL the time - at Duke too. And unless he was in Wuhai - I don't think 2020 was Degnon's fault. If the pandemic had not occurred he would have had 2020 count as a year of eligibility and we wouldn't be having this discussion. If you want to cancel everyone's 2020's stats - games played etc. I wouldn't be bothered by it.
coda wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:23 am Guys like Gutering are different. They started all 4 years and their teams played deep in the tournament. That isnt the same situation by any stretch of the imagination.
Playing Deep in the tournament adds only a few games - it is the Duke model that is being referenced. Duke's model is legal and has some positive constructs around it - no scrimmages - max out the regular season in terms of real games - include some less than rigorous opponents to help underclassmen engagement and build success. It does however provide the opportunity to inflate stats vs a team that has fall and spring scrimmages. Even when Duke missed the tournament in '22 the players had 17 games to put up their stats. When the ACC used to have a "tournament" it was possible for Duke to play 17 +2 +4 games. Now everybody can adopt this model so I am not blaming Duke.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:02 am It means very little. These guys need to have asterisks by their names. You cant compare a guy with 6 seasons, who is going to be 24/25 when he finishes his career to guys that played 4 seasons.
It means very little *to you*, which is fine. But objectively speaking, finishing 3rd or higher in goals in the 140-year history of Hopkins lacrosse gets your name remembered for a long, long time. That will be of interest to a lot of people.

Anyway, it's increasingly difficult to compare players across eras. Yes he will have played more games. But if you're going to deduct a point for not making a Final Four or winning a title (yet... 8-)) then I feel like we should acknowledge that it's considerably harder to do so now than it was 20-30-40-50 years ago.

In the case of Degnon specifically his path is worth celebrating in its own way IMO. Unlike Rabil, he was not a top recruit — he was on pretty much no coach's radar. Missed his entire junior recruiting season with an illness, commits late his senior year which at that point had become almost unheard of for a late 2010s Petro team. The fact that he's already 8th all-time in goals even if he never plays another game is a nice story.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:34 am
It means very little *to you*, which is fine. But objectively speaking, finishing 3rd or higher in goals in the 140-year history of Hopkins lacrosse gets your name remembered for a long, long time. That will be of interest to a lot of people.

Anyway, it's increasingly difficult to compare players across eras. Yes he will have played more games. But if you're going to deduct a point for not making a Final Four or winning a title (yet... 8-)) then I feel like we should acknowledge that it's considerably harder to do so now than it was 20-30-40-50 years ago.

In the case of Degnon specifically his path is worth celebrating in its own way IMO. Unlike Rabil, he was not a top recruit — he was on pretty much no coach's radar. Missed his entire junior recruiting season with an illness, commits late his senior year which at that point had become almost unheard of for a late 2010s Petro team. The fact that he's already 8th all-time in goals even if he never plays another game is a nice story.
Was not saying it is not a nice story. I am merely pointing out that the record books are going to be skewed by this period of time. His path to the record books could only be taken in a minute slice of that 140 year history. It is the same across sports and schools.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:39 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:34 am

Was not saying it is not a nice story. I am merely pointing out that the record books are going to be skewed by this period of time. His path to the record books could only be taken in a minute slice of that 140 year history. It is the same across sports and schools.
The record books were skewed from the mid-1970s forward,

once they allowed freshmen to play varsity and wood sticks were replaced with plastic.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”