York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: York 2024

Post by Laxattackjack »

8 games vs teams that finished in the top 20 of last years final poll (3 home. 3 on the road. And 2 at a neutral site, close to home).
Only one game more than an hour away from York
4 of the first 5 at home. A good chance to start strong. Vs last year when the first month was a lot of travel
A long gap of games away from York for almost a full month in April

If this were a normal year, I would say York has a solid schedule that have a lot of winnable games. But after losing both assistant coaches. Losing most of your freshman class, losing 6 starters (about 25% of the goals). This season is a big question mark.

I will make the first pre season prediction. York will go 13-4. Going 4-4 vs those top teams
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

York isn’t beating RIT or salisbury. Predicting 12-5
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Nice strong schedule. Excited to see the likes of RPI and St Lawrence on it.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:39 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:14 pm
Lamaatemyhw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:36 pm York is set for a playday on Oct 15th at the UnderArmour headquarters field in Baltimore against St. Mary’s and another team to be named later.
What happened to the Lynchburg/ Dickinson scrimmage. I thought that was turning into a tradition
Perhaps they’re playing one (or both) in the season. They didn’t start scrimmaging Lynchburg until they stopped playing them in the regular season.
Called it
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Low2high22 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:23 pm York isn’t beating RIT or salisbury. Predicting 12-5
Those would be tough wins. I had them losing to RIT Salisbury, Dickinson and one other. I expect them to beat W&L, grove city, st Lawrence, Denison and Gettysburgh. But I feel like they will blow one of those games.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Is Harnick back for a grad year?
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:07 am Is Harnick back for a grad year?
Yes, Will Harnick #28, Brent Blackmon #43, Vinny Facciponti #23, Jack Grayson #7, and Zach Mentzer #37 are all back. Great group to stay another year.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

Great schedule this year. My MUST WATCH games will be:
Of course, Stevenson, a strong rivalry.
Gettysburg will be close. These past few years have been amazing games to watch.
RIT and Gulls both, I hope to be close but if not, a good high paced game.
Dickinson, after consistent scrimmages, I'm sure the guys will be fired up to play a real game.
Lastly, Washington and Lee. I know York wants their blood after last year's overtime loss.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

I'm a bit behind, is there a quick summary of why guys are leaving? I know there are more quality recruits leaving, but definitely a rebuilding year with Mayer gone.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

TopCheddar wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:24 am
Yes, Will Harnick #28, Brent Blackmon #43, Vinny Facciponti #23, Jack Grayson #7, and Zach Mentzer #37 are all back. Great group to stay another year.
Returning the vast majority of their starters, now known to include grad students of point and goal leader attackman, top shutdown D man, stud FO, top SSDM. The team is loaded.

Only real holes to fill will be Mayer and Green. Excited to see what they do with it. They’ve got a stable full of LSM talent, and flashy players to spread the offense out more. I loved watching Mayer work, but vs Salisbury, RIT, Tufts, Amherst and Gettysburg, he produced more turnovers than points last year. Without Mayer, if they get that offense moving the ball more, I could see them finishing better than their 6 loss record of last year.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

TopCheddar wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:29 am Great schedule this year. My MUST WATCH games will be:
Of course, Stevenson, a strong rivalry.
Gettysburg will be close. These past few years have been amazing games to watch.
RIT and Gulls both, I hope to be close but if not, a good high paced game.
Dickinson, after consistent scrimmages, I'm sure the guys will be fired up to play a real game.
Lastly, Washington and Lee. I know York wants their blood after last year's overtime loss.
All great matchups. Same “must watches” for me, but toss in RPI. I love seeing high caliber first time opponents from different regions. They are known for their 10 man ride, according to a recent IL article. That could be something that catches players / coaches off guard in a “first game of the year” scenario. Something to watch for here.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:45 am
Returning the vast majority of their starters, now known to include grad students of point and goal leader attackman, top shutdown D man, stud FO, top SSDM. The team is loaded.

Only real holes to fill will be Mayer and Green. Excited to see what they do with it. They’ve got a stable full of LSM talent, and flashy players to spread the offense out more. I loved watching Mayer work, but vs Salisbury, RIT, Tufts, Amherst and Gettysburg, he produced more turnovers than points last year. Without Mayer, if they get that offense moving the ball more, I could see them finishing better than their 6 loss record of last year.
I think York is better situated on the defensive side.
Returning goalie and 4/6 on defense. Also returning one defensive coach

Offense might be a challenge. Losing 4 of the 6 starters. And losing the only offensive coach

But I do agree the team depended on Mayer to run the offense. Hoping there is more ball movement and significantly more off ball movement.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:15 am

Offense might be a challenge. Losing 4 of the 6 starters. And losing the only offensive coach

But I do agree the team depended on Mayer to run the offense. Hoping there is more ball movement and significantly more off ball movement.
They should be solid on the defensive side of the ball with lots of kids coming back including 2 of 3 close guys and several guys to step in at pole. Plus all of their SSDM.

I think that the offensive players are fairly easy to replace with the exception of Mayer and don't forget that Russo and Townsend both started at some point last year and Fischer played a lot as well

They are still on a quest for that 3rd attackman (now 2nd and 3rd) but with the kids they have and the kids they brought in their offense could be even better.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:56 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:15 am

They should be solid on the defensive side of the ball with lots of kids coming back including 2 of 3 close guys and several guys to step in at pole. Plus all of their SSDM.

I think that the offensive players are fairly easy to replace with the exception of Mayer and don't forget that Russo and Townsend both started at some point last year and Fischer played a lot as well

They are still on a quest for that 3rd attackman (now 2nd and 3rd) but with the kids they have and the kids they brought in their offense could be even better.
I am thinking Townsend slots right in at starting attack. With his non-starting share of the playing time at attack last year, he was 3rd in points.

I also think Keogh will be an impact player. The 6’1” Midfield grad transfer out of UMW had 39 points last year, with goals against CNU and Salisbury. I could see him slotted next to Grayson on that first midfield.

There has been so much talent incoming for several recruiting classes now, and the 2023’s are no different. I would not be surprised if they had their third attack spot spoken for full-time by the start of the spring season.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Who ever ends up at attack, needs to generate points with assists. And they need to be able to dodge to the goal. Maybe the same person can do both.
Mayer had 25 assists
Burbank had 18

Harnick 12
Townsend 10

Maybe another option. Or maybe one of them will step up to help get others involved.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:49 pm Who ever ends up at attack, needs to generate points with assists. And they need to be able to dodge to the goal. Maybe the same person can do both.
Mayer had 25 assists
Burbank had 18

Harnick 12
Townsend 10

Maybe another option. Or maybe one of them will step up to help get others involved.
… and Fisher had 14, and Grayson had 12 and Russo had 11… I think that’s the point everyone who is genuinely interested seems to agree upon. The team doesn’t need one stat stuffer that either makes the play or the ball dies in his stick. That doesn’t work vs the top teams, and it showed. More ball movement and the spread of offensive stats will follow. I’m guessing that whoever ends up at attack will generate points with assists just by the nature of it, esp if Harnick and Townsend continue to finish the way they have. Don’t over think it.

I’m looking forward to the alumni game, and starting to put some numbers to these names.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Can’t be a top 4 team without 5th years in my opinion. You can get close but that extra year is a huge benefit. Good year for York to make some noise if there ever was one. Thinking no more than 5 losses and more like 4 with that schedule.
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 pm Can’t be a top 4 team without 5th years in my opinion. You can get close but that extra year is a huge benefit. Good year for York to make some noise if there ever was one. Thinking no more than 5 losses and more like 4 with that schedule.

Unfortunately that is the path for the next two/three years. Best teams with graduate programs will continue to dominate (Salisbury, CNU, RIT). York will be top 10 - Greene was a monster but they always have LSM depth as someone else mentioned. Plus they 10 man ride which puts so much pressure on even experienced teams.

I do think people are underplaying the Mayer loss. York has been a perennial top 10 team the last 5-10 years. However, they have lacked a true alpha on offense who can get them a goal when they really need it in NCAA playoffs to propel them to Final 4 status. They always have guys who get points. Mayer was that guy for the next two years. Every D3 Natty Champ has had THE GUY.

They will be great this year - maybe 4 losses. But again their season will end in the Sweet 16 without that middie or attackman who can take over the game.

For example, CNU has had Cook and Brendes. York cannot compete with that.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 pm Can’t be a top 4 team without 5th years in my opinion. You can get close but that extra year is a huge benefit. Good year for York to make some noise if there ever was one. Thinking no more than 5 losses and more like 4 with that schedule.
Tufts is but yes I see your point. It’ll be interesting over the next two years what happens to some of these programs.

CNU is a great example, they are littered with 5/6th year players and may graduate more than I’ve ever seen any team graduate after this season. I mean they’re going to lose like 90% of their scoring and like 600+ starts. Even if they’ve recruited well they will have so many guys that are upperclassmen that have 0 experience.

A program like York saw a number of talented underclass transfers out of its middle classes feels very propped up by its 5th years. I’m not sure that York is even a preseason top 20 team without them. Take away Harnick, Grayson, Blackmon, and Facciponti along with the underclass transfers and this group would be pretty avg
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am
Tufts is but yes I see your point. It’ll be interesting over the next two years what happens to some of these programs.

CNU is a great example, they are littered with 5/6th year players and may graduate more than I’ve ever seen any team graduate after this season. I mean they’re going to lose like 90% of their scoring and like 600+ starts. Even if they’ve recruited well they will have so many guys that are upperclassmen that have 0 experience.

A program like York saw a number of talented underclass transfers out of its middle classes feels very propped up by its 5th years. I’m not sure that York is even a preseason top 20 team without them. Take away Harnick, Grayson, Blackmon, and Facciponti along with the underclass transfers and this group would be pretty avg
So you are saying if York wasn’t allowed to have 5th year players, they wouldn’t be as good as the other teams with 5th year players?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”