D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: USA Magazine Way Early Rankings for 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:20 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:13 pm
coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:08 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:49 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am Hopkins has too many questions-faceoffs, offensive consistency, ssdms, new goalie, goalie depth, and not enough superstars to be that high. Whether Michigan shows last year was a fluke and is in the ncaa tournament mix or not this year, they had "the moment" they needed to justify their d1 existence last season and that should help them build with Conry for a long time to come.

The "Super Coordinator Shuffle" at some big time programs that don't usually make changes that often-UNC, UVA, Maryland, Hopkins, Syracuse etc I think is one of the defining stories of this season. Which changes have the biggest impact if any.
You can make a case for the Jays anywhere between 4 and 7 or so (same for PSU and Maryland), but you're not making a convincing case here. #6 is too high for a team that...*checks notes* finished last year at #5. Really? SSDMs are a strength, not a question mark. Goalie depth? Lol. You're straining hard. Teams that finish top 5 and return the entire offense generally don't fall off much. Let's hear your argument for why Cornell etc. should be ahead of them.

PSU-Hop-Maryland all seem pretty close, IMO. You could make the argument for those three in any order. PSU loses two of its top three scorers (Traynor, Winkoff) but brings back basically everyone else from a Final Four team. Maryland had a down year for them but get a couple key guys back healthy, though they do lose Makar, Geppert, and Long. If you're going to probe down to the level of "goalie depth" then both PSU and MD have their own question marks.
I agree with most of this. I think this is similar year to last year. You have UVA, Duke, and ND in the top tier. The question is going to be can someone in the next tier catch lightening in a bottle and test the top 3. I think #12 is closer to #4, than #4 is to #3..
Maybe more like 8-9 closer to 4 than 4 to 3 but agree otherwise. Usually there’s a gap though between 11 or 12 and 4 even in this year when you look at 10-13.
12 was just random, but you got the point. With the portal, it is really hard to predict which transfers meld together and elevate the team (PSU last year) or which ones just miss the mark (OSU)
Yes understood and agreed and my 8-9 is year end when it’s clear not now in terms of the gap. Though that’s true most years. There’s 3-5 contenders and a few potentials and that’s it. Everyone else playing for final season ranking and maybe at best a second round playoff game.

I don’t think OSU just missed the mark, 21 they slid in but last year was a disaster for them. Kind of suspect if Myers hadn’t made it in for the 21 season that he’d be on a pretty hot seas right now
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:33 pm How does Utah, a new program- in a non hotbed, get ahead of teams like Umass and Loyola?

Is this just coaching / recruiting?

If you coach a consistent top 25 program, on the east coast there is no way a start up team in the West should be ahead of you you.

I know everyone is going to point to Denver but that was a slow build with a name brand coach.

Also, I love that Utah is killing it and expanding the game. I just don’t think they should be out recruiting programs in hotbeds with average admissions standards.
Look at what McMinn did in western PA w RoMo.

Denver was in the playoffs numerous times under Munro before Tierney. They looked solid mid 2000s playing MD in a playoff game. Tierney took something partially built and elevated. Utah started under Holoman had Jimmy Perkins come from RoMo (before going back there from Salt Lake).

Mormon or not Salt Lake is a pretty city either mountains in the background, modest climate and the Rocky Mountains popularity has grown in the last 10-15yrs tremendously. FBS and too 25 football program and some occasionally success in BB. Half or less the cost of Villanova or Denver. Nicer than Albany, UMBC or Towson campuses and surrounding areas. It makes sense to me.
coda

Post by coda »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:33 pm How does Utah, a new program- in a non hotbed, get ahead of teams like Umass and Loyola?

If you coach a consistent top 25 program, on the east coast there is no way a start up team in the West should be ahead of you you.

I know everyone is going to point to Denver but that was a slow build with a name brand coach.

Also, I love that Utah is killing it and expanding the game. I just don’t think they should be out recruiting programs in hotbeds with average admissions standards.
Interesting. I have to ask why. If I am going to an "average" admission place and the educational benefits are neutral, why not Utah? (I have not looked at the academic profiles of UMass, Utah, and Loyola, so if someone went there, dont get upset). Would you rather spend your time around the mountains or Baltimore/Boston? Personally, I would choose Utah. Also I would choose it, because you could really make a difference there and be part of building something.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:33 pm
How does Utah, a new program- in a non hotbed, get ahead of teams like Umass and Loyola?
They’re not really.

Loyola has a national title.

Utah has one NCAA tournament.

Tierney wasn’t a slow build, he got the Pios to a Final Four his second year there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:39 pm
How does Utah, a new program- in a non hotbed, get ahead of teams like Umass and Loyola?
They’re not really.

Tierney wasn’t a slow build, he got the Pios to a Final Four his second year there.
I’m the current environment Utah probably is on top of UMASS without the strong LI pipeline Cannella built. It will be very interesting to see what happens to UMass when he retires. And he’s got to be like 25-30yrs in now or close.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:51 pm
They’re not really.

I’m the current environment Utah probably is on top of UMASS without the strong LI pipeline Cannella built. It will be very interesting to see what happens to UMass when he retires. And he’s got to be like 25-30yrs in now or close.
Cannella is an '88 grad, so.... 57ish years old? I don't think he's ready to ride off into the sunset any time soon.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:18 pm
They’re not really.

Cannella is an '88 grad, so.... 57ish years old? I don't think he's ready to ride off into the sunset any time soon.
I had him around 60 but sure. He’s been at UMASS as AD since around 95 I believe. And was assistant 2-3yr prior there so 49yrs at own institution. Still doing fine but the horizon should be visible.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

They don't get their kids from Maryland LI hotbeds. In fact, while they get some kids from PA, Mass, and NJ, the roster (along with some Canadians) is full of kids from the South and West Coast. The West Coast kids may want to stay at least a little closer to home, but the Southern kids seem like they are overlooked because they're not playing in a hotbed.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

mdk01 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:30 pm

They don't get their kids from Maryland LI hotbeds. In fact, while they get some kids from PA, Mass, and NJ, the roster (along with some Canadians) is full of kids from the South and West Coast. The West Coast kids may want to stay at least a little closer to home, but the Southern kids seem like they are overlooked because they're not playing in a hotbed.
I know a kid who might fit in at Utah - next state over, a 2024 - graded out with 3, maybe 4 star skills, summer league accolades - hope to see it happen, could be a good fit for McMinn.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am
Hopkins has too many questions-faceoffs, offensive consistency, ssdms, new goalie, goalie depth, and not enough superstars to be that high.
As a Terp fan, I look at it the other way. Hop returns nearly everyone (minus Mazzone, which admittedly is a big loss, but not as big a loss as Makar is for Maryland) AND gets a huge improvement at arguably their weakest position last year in goalie with Ierlan. Angelus and Melendez are legit, and Degnon is a 40 goal scorer.

I'd have ranked the Terps behind them honestly. But it's preseason...and it doesn't mean anything anyways.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

They’re not really.

The LI pipeline existed in the 70's. Was it ever shut down?
molo

Post by molo »

So the top five is last the final four from 2023 plus Maryland?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yes
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

mdk01 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:30 pm

The last three recruiting classes the Utes have added kids from the DMV, MD, and NY. They recruit at the same events as all the other schools. It is also an advantage to get the western players as well. Niche rating for academics is higher than Towson UMBC and tuition is way less than Loyola or Richmond. Plus the campus is amazing and the athletic facilities are probably the best in the NCAA or as good as any school and better than the majority of schools. When a player visits the campus...well if you knew your would know.
coda

Post by coda »

coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:15 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:07 pm Top 10 still to come, but here are the other write-ups

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
10. Yale
9. Cuse
8. Army
7. Cornell
6. Hop
5.Maryland
4. PSU
3. UVa
2. ND
1. Duke
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Here is the link for the final 5 teams
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

coda wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:43 am
coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:15 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:07 pm Top 10 still to come, but here are the other write-ups

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
10. Yale
9. Cuse
8. Army
7. Cornell
6. Hop
5.Maryland
4. PSU
3. UVa
2. ND
1. Duke
What!! ND is preseason #2!! They won the title last season. Those guys get no respect!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
tmast33

Post by tmast33 »

Can't help but notice that Jacksonville is no where to be found. I guess everyone figured out that the coaches don't play.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Appreciate all the comments regarding Utah. I have never seen the campus but everyone’s points make it sound like it’s a great place to play lax.

I wish them continued success.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

tmast33 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:40 pm Can't help but notice that Jacksonville is no where to be found. I guess everyone figured out that the coaches don't play.
Notwithstanding their Athletics websites crappy user interface, they are 26-7 over the last two seasons w wins over Duke (2x), Denver and Richmond.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”