15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
mdk01

Re: USA Magazine Way Early Rankings for 2024

Post by mdk01 »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:07 pm Top 10 still to come, but here are the other write-ups

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
Tough to get a good handle as it's another year of 5th year Ivy grad transfers and the portal in general. You never know if the pieces fit until they play together. I will say that with 5 4-Stars coming in, including a FOGO, Harvard has the potential jump up. Lot of talent that can shake off the sophomore slump.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

mdk01 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:24 pm
AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:07 pm Top 10 still to come, but here are the other write-ups

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
Tough to get a good handle as it's another year of 5th year Ivy grad transfers and the portal in general. You never know if the pieces fit until they play together. I will say that with 5 4-Stars coming in, including a FOGO, Harvard has the potential jump up. Lot of talent that can shake off the sophomore slump.
That’s not saying a lot for Harvard, and their class as constructed looks below their typical standards. Penn has a five star and eight four stars by comparison. Harvard is an interesting team but I don’t think their incoming freshmen moves the needle much at all.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Notre Dame, Duke, Virginia, Penn State, Johns Hopkins, Army, Maryland, Cornell, Yale —

— the top ten among those teams, also I don’t see Syracuse above so I assume they’re in the top ten mix.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Agree with that 10, which would leave UNC out entirely. Maybe fair, but interesting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:55 pm Agree with that 10, which would leave UNC out entirely. Maybe fair, but interesting.
UNC was 18
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Anyone who thinks they have the slightest clue what Rutgers is going to look like is kidding themselves. I would think this is too high for them with their mercenary squad but who knows.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:55 pm Agree with that 10, which would leave UNC out entirely. Maybe fair, but interesting.
Denver, Rut and Mich stuck out as high to me notwithstanding what Mich returns. Defense still a ?.

Feel Marquette, Harvard and Boston U could be higher.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:13 pm
mdk01 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:24 pm

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
That’s not saying a lot for Harvard, and their class as constructed looks below their typical standards. Penn has a five star and eight four stars by comparison. Harvard is an interesting team but I don’t think their incoming freshmen moves the needle much at all.
Below their typical standards only for '21 and '22. Above for years before that.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:35 pm
Denver, Rut and Mich stuck out as high to me notwithstanding what Mich returns. Defense still a ?.

Very big year for Michigan. Another playoff birth and there is a good chance they ascend as a program. Defense played most of the year, with bad goalie play. Things changed with when they went full time to the Freshmen. Personally, anything from 10-20 sounds right to me. They are not a NC contender. The ceiling is probably final 8 and the floor is sitting at home. Based on limited information, it appears the Big 10 will be very balanced again.
Last edited by coda on Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
10. Yale
9. Cuse
8. Army
7. Cornell
6. Hop
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:15 am

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
10. Yale
9. Cuse
8. Army
7. Cornell
6. Hop
Hopkins has too many questions-faceoffs, offensive consistency, ssdms, new goalie, goalie depth, and not enough superstars to be that high. Whether Michigan shows last year was a fluke and is in the ncaa tournament mix or not this year, they had "the moment" they needed to justify their d1 existence last season and that should help them build with Conry for a long time to come.

The "Super Coordinator Shuffle" at some big time programs that don't usually make changes that often-UNC, UVA, Maryland, Hopkins, Syracuse etc I think is one of the defining stories of this season. Which changes have the biggest impact if any.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:35 pm

Very big year for Michigan. Another playoff birth and there is a good chance they ascend as a program. Defense played most of the year, with bad goalie play. Things changed with when they went full time to the Freshmen. Personally, anything from 10-20 sounds right to me. They are not a NC contender. The ceiling is probably final 8 and the floor is sitting at home. Based on limited information, it appears the Big 10 will be very balanced again.
I always worry in any sport when a coach gets success then doors open and they waive the wrong talent in and the influx of transfers previously not available has me circumspect for a younger HC. Talent is there but despite last years run feels like they should be more like mid-high teens to start.
coda

Post by coda »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am
coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:15 am

25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
25 (t). UMass
25 (t). Marquette
25 (t). Harvard
24. Villanova
23. Ohio State
22. Loyola
21. Utah
20. Richmond
19. Boston
18. UNC
17. Penn
16. Princeton
15. Rutgers
14. Delaware
13. Georgetown
12. Michigan
11. Denver
10. Yale
9. Cuse
8. Army
7. Cornell
6. Hop
Hopkins has too many questions-faceoffs, offensive consistency, ssdms, new goalie, goalie depth, and not enough superstars to be that high. Whether Michigan shows last year was a fluke and is in the ncaa tournament mix or not this year, they had "the moment" they needed to justify their d1 existence last season and that should help them build with Conry for a long time to come.

The "Super Coordinator Shuffle" at some big time programs that don't usually make changes that often-UNC, UVA, Maryland, Hopkins, Syracuse etc I think is one of the defining stories of this season. Which changes have the biggest impact if any.
I think this year is big for Michigan. They are seen in a better light after just 1 decent year. Many have thought they are, hate this term, a "sleeping giant" in lacrosse. Putting 2 seasons together would confirm the current good will. If they dont make the tournament, much of that good will turn into "was it a fluke? ".

Not too worried about UVA, Cuse, or Hopkins. Cuse made a lot of progress by the end of the season. UNC situation feels like it is hanging on by a thread. Have to be hte favorite to for ACC doormat. I think there a good chance there is a new staff there next year.

Princeton sticks out as a team I think is over-rated. There is some talent there, but damn have they been gutted.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Maybe, on Michigan.

More likely, they’re now, with last year’s breakthrough in the same position as other good teams,

a lot of good teams, not enough NCAA slots.

Their schedule (last year) is good enough to get them in with the right combination of wins.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am Hopkins has too many questions-faceoffs, offensive consistency, ssdms, new goalie, goalie depth, and not enough superstars to be that high. Whether Michigan shows last year was a fluke and is in the ncaa tournament mix or not this year, they had "the moment" they needed to justify their d1 existence last season and that should help them build with Conry for a long time to come.

You can make a case for the Jays anywhere between 4 and 7 or so (same for PSU and Maryland), but you're not making a convincing case here. #6 is too high for a team that...*checks notes* finished last year at #5. Really? SSDMs are a strength, not a question mark. Goalie depth? Lol. You're straining hard. Teams that finish top 5 and return the entire offense generally don't fall off much. Let's hear your argument for why Cornell etc. should be ahead of them.

PSU-Hop-Maryland all seem pretty close, IMO. You could make the argument for those three in any order. PSU loses two of its top three scorers (Traynor, Winkoff) but brings back basically everyone else from a Final Four team. Maryland had a down year for them but get a couple key guys back healthy, though they do lose Makar, Geppert, and Long. If you're going to probe down to the level of "goalie depth" then both PSU and MD have their own question marks.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:49 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am Hopkins has too many questions-faceoffs, offensive consistency, ssdms, new goalie, goalie depth, and not enough superstars to be that high. Whether Michigan shows last year was a fluke and is in the ncaa tournament mix or not this year, they had "the moment" they needed to justify their d1 existence last season and that should help them build with Conry for a long time to come.

You can make a case for the Jays anywhere between 4 and 7 or so (same for PSU and Maryland), but you're not making a convincing case here. #6 is too high for a team that...*checks notes* finished last year at #5. Really? SSDMs are a strength, not a question mark. Goalie depth? Lol. You're straining hard. Teams that finish top 5 and return the entire offense generally don't fall off much. Let's hear your argument for why Cornell etc. should be ahead of them.

PSU-Hop-Maryland all seem pretty close, IMO. You could make the argument for those three in any order. PSU loses two of its top three scorers (Traynor, Winkoff) but brings back basically everyone else from a Final Four team. Maryland had a down year for them but get a couple key guys back healthy, though they do lose Makar, Geppert, and Long. If you're going to probe down to the level of "goalie depth" then both PSU and MD have their own question marks.
I agree with most of this. I think this is similar year to last year. You have UVA, Duke, and ND in the top tier. The question is going to be can someone in the next tier catch lightening in a bottle and test the top 3. I think #12 is closer to #4, than #4 is to #3..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:08 pm

I agree with most of this. I think this is similar year to last year. You have UVA, Duke, and ND in the top tier. The question is going to be can someone in the next tier catch lightening in a bottle and test the top 3. I think #12 is closer to #4, than #4 is to #3..
Maybe more like 8-9 closer to 4 than 4 to 3 but agree otherwise. Usually there’s a gap though between 11 or 12 and 4 even in this year when you look at 10-13.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:13 pm
coda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:08 pm

Maybe more like 8-9 closer to 4 than 4 to 3 but agree otherwise. Usually there’s a gap though between 11 or 12 and 4 even in this year when you look at 10-13.
12 was just random, but you got the point. With the portal, it is really hard to predict which transfers meld together and elevate the team (PSU last year) or which ones just miss the mark (OSU)
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

How does Utah, a new program- in a non hotbed, get ahead of teams like Umass and Loyola?

Is this just coaching / recruiting?

If you coach a consistent top 25 program, on the east coast there is no way a start up team in the West should be ahead of you you.

I know everyone is going to point to Denver but that was a slow build with a name brand coach.

Also, I love that Utah is killing it and expanding the game. I just don’t think they should be out recruiting programs in hotbeds with average admissions standards.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”