Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
D2fan

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by D2fan »

Saw Gravino a bunch, being from WNY. He reminds me a lot of Adam Dimillo.

Athletic, tough 2 way Middie.

Don’t know what UMD’s DMid situation is, but I could see Gravino being used on the face off wings.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Love to have another Dimillo!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:46 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:39 am Who wears #1? Malever has the seniority and experience, but Erksa just has that “it” factor. I could see him wearing it the next three years.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Zap wearing it, but not sure what he’s like in the locker room; Makar’s leadership qualities were probably a big reason he was the first defender to wear it.
No idea about the leadership/qualitative stuff, but there's nobody close to earning #1 besides Zappitello based on actual play the last 3 seasons.

Editing this to include Wierman; he deserves the 1 as well
True, Zap and Wierman have both earned it. Wierman would be the first FOGO to wear it, after Maker being the first defenseman. But I think it will end up being Erksa. He really stepped up at the end of last year.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Agree that it will be an offensive player this year. Tillman talked about not having an alpha player last season so I think he is going to want to create the next alpha. Erksa is a possibility but seems a bit too young - maybe next year. Thinking he will go for someone dynamic - maybe Spanos. Or does he decide to reward one of his seniors - Maltz, Kelly, Brennan, Koras or Murphy.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

sportsfan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:53 am Agree that it will be an offensive player this year. Tillman talked about not having an alpha player last season so I think he is going to want to create the next alpha. Erksa is a possibility but seems a bit too young - maybe next year. Thinking he will go for someone dynamic - maybe Spanos. Or does he decide to reward one of his seniors - Maltz, Kelly, Brennan, Koras or Murphy.
Malever.
viho

Post by viho »

https://shop.umterps.com/mens-prosphere ... r3c2:po-11

Haven’t seen the team in these. Let’s hope we never do.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:59 pm
sportsfan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:53 am Agree that it will be an offensive player this year. Tillman talked about not having an alpha player last season so I think he is going to want to create the next alpha. Erksa is a possibility but seems a bit too young - maybe next year. Thinking he will go for someone dynamic - maybe Spanos. Or does he decide to reward one of his seniors - Maltz, Kelly, Brennan, Koras or Murphy.
Malever.
You may know more than the message board proletariat, so Malever or even McNaney could have superior leadership traits to merit #1. If it's based on field play, there hasn't been a #1 with zero all american accolades the prior year since it became a tradition. Only Zap and Wierman qualify based on last year's play, and doubly so if you consider contribution to the historic 2021-2022 run.

So in the end who cares? What matters is hopefully Erksa takes the next step to greatness, Malever returns to his excellent level, Whittier complements them with speed that requires slides, and Spanos elevates to his potential all-american level. And those guys open up great looks for shooters Murphy, Maltz and Kelly (plus Koras who, fairly, has a mix of shiftiness and shooting). Then hopefully somebody among the returnees or newcomers can step up and make a difference like Erksa did last year.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:14 pm
Malever.
You may know more than the message board proletariat, so Malever or even McNaney could have superior leadership traits to merit #1. If it's based on field play, there hasn't been a #1 with zero all american accolades the prior year since it became a tradition. Only Zap and Wierman qualify based on last year's play, and doubly so if you consider contribution to the historic 2021-2022 run.

So in the end who cares? What matters is hopefully Erksa takes the next step to greatness, Malever returns to his excellent level, Whittier complements them with speed that requires slides, and Spanos elevates to his potential all-american level. And those guys open up great looks for shooters Murphy, Maltz and Kelly (plus Koras who, fairly, has a mix of shiftiness and shooting). Then hopefully somebody among the returnees or newcomers can step up and make a difference like Erksa did last year.
That's an interesting data point about #1 always receiving AA accolades the year prior. Who knows if he would have earned AA honors last season. There's a good chance if he hadn't been hurt that Erksa would have stayed on that second MF line where he started last season.

IMO, I think #1 should be always be worn by an offensive player. It just felt off last season. Makar was the emotional leader of not just last season's team but of the national title team, too. I just think you need #1 to have the ball in his stick more than a defensive player or FOGO does.

Spanos and Erksa are the same class. I do wonder which of those two will wear #1 at some point. The way Spanos will just truck guys and plays with that edge really stands out.

I think 2024 is going to be a phenomenal season in College Park.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

I agree with Wheels. 2024 will be a great year for the Terps. Lots of depth and experience. Plus guys who played in the fall but redshirted. We will need more SSDM’s and Kolar,Redd to continue to get better. I always thought T Davidson would be a good shortie based on his athleticism but didn’t see him at all last fall
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

viho wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:09 pm https://shop.umterps.com/mens-prosphere ... r3c2:po-11

Haven’t seen the team in these. Let’s hope we never do.
Pretty ugly. Looks like the brand is “ProSphere,” never heard of them. Official Maryland lax gear is all Under Armor.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:19 pm
keno in reno wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:14 pm
Malever.

That's an interesting data point about #1 always receiving AA accolades the year prior. Who knows if he would have earned AA honors last season. There's a good chance if he hadn't been hurt that Erksa would have stayed on that second MF line where he started last season.

IMO, I think #1 should be always be worn by an offensive player. It just felt off last season. Makar was the emotional leader of not just last season's team but of the national title team, too. I just think you need #1 to have the ball in his stick more than a defensive player or FOGO does.

Spanos and Erksa are the same class. I do wonder which of those two will wear #1 at some point. The way Spanos will just truck guys and plays with that edge really stands out.

I think 2024 is going to be a phenomenal season in College Park.
I would like to see Erksa elevate since every good player who comes form Georgia breeds two future ones generally (having the PL ROY in the QF helped as well), but…I think it’s Spanos long term.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

New recruit James Gardiner SSDM joins his cousin Johnny as Maryland commit for “24.
Cyborg Reticulan

Post by Cyborg Reticulan »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:11 am New recruit James Gardiner SSDM joins his cousin Johnny as Maryland commit for “24.
Definitely a sideline/glue guy... yet every good team needs one of those so I don't blame Tillman for letting this kid onto his campus. Practice will be his sanctuary unless he has to guard Erksa, Spanos, or Malever. If he can get by 2 hours of not seeing those guys infront of him, he will have a great time.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cyborg Reticulan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:10 pm Definitely a sideline/glue guy... yet every good team needs one of those so I don't blame Tillman for letting this kid onto his campus. Practice will be his sanctuary unless he has to guard Erksa, Spanos, or Malever. If he can get by 2 hours of not seeing those guys infront of him, he will have a great time.
Pretty cool to sign up for this forum just to make that tuff-guy post.

As for the Georgia comment above, it's just baffling that neither Erksa nor Plunkett could be recognized by the gurus as top 100 recruits. Plunkett might be the most dynamic athlete in D1 next year, and Erksa is among the top as well. Not sure how they can be missed.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:52 am
I would like to see Erksa elevate since every good player who comes form Georgia breeds two future ones generally (having the PL ROY in the QF helped as well), but…I think it’s Spanos long term.
Keno mentions Plunkett also.

Pio Fan talked up Andrew Atchison as in line for a breakout season this year under Brown.

I’ll have to find out from my coaching contacts what’s happening in Georgia.
Seems like a natural, do a couple years at a Georgia public, then matriculate to IMG for a year, a PG to improve your profile.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:06 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:52 am
Keno mentions Plunkett also.

Pio Fan talked up Andrew Atchison as in line for a breakout season this year under Brown.

I’ll have to find out from my coaching contacts what’s happening in Georgia.
Seems like a natural, do a couple years at a Georgia public, then matriculate to IMG for a year, a PG to improve your profile.
Im just starting to look into it with where my kids are age wise. Not going to matter I am a public a school guy and our cluster is ok (Midtown HS) but seems random. Roswell HS one year, Buford is like an entirely different country. Inside the perimeter is weak. But if I’m spending for a local prep school they may as well go to a NE boarding school. (Some people around here talk you McCallie and Asheville School as well as closer boarding alternatives).

The skill level is generally still lower but you can get some dogs, athletes, old school HHH types as the skill grows a bit.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

New recruit Midfielder Sisto Averno out of Calvert Hall class ‘24

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »