Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:39 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:00 pm This all feels like manufacturing concern because there's not much else to talk about. The freshmen know there are limited roles available. It's like that on every good team. How many freshmen played for Virginia last season? One?
Not exactly - This is where a reasonable schedule discussion comes into play, UVA had 9 incoming true freshmen on the roster - I will admit if they red-shirted someone before the season and left them off the roster I do not know but Sunderland appeared in 16 games, Eldridge appeared in 11. Jones appeared in 8, Till and Myers appeared in 6 each. The other 4 DNP. So UVA was able to keep most of their freshmen engaged in part because they are beating Richmond by 17 and Lafeyette by 9. Also - having a great school - an incredibly successful program and many toys to make a beautiful campus all the more attractive gives them the ability to manage their intake. This years class is 10 - last years looks like it was 9 - next years is 9. They'll have some red-shirts and some transfers probably but it certainly appears they are targeting a roster of 40 not close to 60. The incoming class this year - if IL is to be believed - has Millon and alot of middies - I'm not up on UVA eligibility but Conner/Garno and McConvey were all listed as Grad Students or Senior so they are gone or will be gone after this year - plus Xander is gone too - so looks like there are opportunites for middies/offensive players.

I have repeatedly said that there was a need for a large class to replace the forced exodus next year but it creates some management for this coming year.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... fany/61967
Really good podcast with IL. Of all the rival coaches, I've always been most impressed through the years on these things with Tiffany. Comes off more as a NOLS/Outward Bound type communicator who tries to understand and relate to kids/people on a personal level than some of the other stuff we've seen. My obvious question for Hopkins here was how the $1.8 Bloomberg gift works. I'm sure Milliman can't directly say to a top recruit whose parents might be teachers and not able to afford Hopkins the way other parents might, well we're not offering you a full scholarship but we can make it work, right?
Like the Ivies, the Bloomberg dough makes it possible for need-blind admissions coupled with very generous need-based financial aid. The discussion the coach would have would be on how to contact the financial aid office to determine what the family would be eligible for given their personal facts.

I don't know whether Hopkins allows coaches to discuss this with the financial aid office directly, the Ivies' coaches are by league agreement and rule not allowed to do so. And the Ivy financial aid office generally points to a calculator on the web, but won't speak specifics until after the Admission office issues and acceptance letter. Athletes normally go ED, so that's in the late fall of senior year. I recall perhaps December time frame.

Hopkins' situation may well be more flexible. But I think the complicating factor is whether one also gets athletic aid, something the Ivies can't do...if I recall correctly there are some NCAA rules about layering of aid...

I may be wrong, but I think there's incentive to only do athletic aid if need-based doesn't do better...generally don't layer? Help...

But the 2 teacher example is likely to be one in which need-based covers most everything.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

There are about to be some VERY happy Jays fans
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:37 pm There are about to be some VERY happy Jays fans
Yes there is
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MBs gave a restricted gift. I don’t know the terms but it was requested bcs Hopkins was accepting applicants who could pay full tuition over more “qualified” applicants, at the time the Capital Campaign was lagging. He has never donated to athletics.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:37 pm There are about to be some VERY happy Jays fans
SAG A's mom took his computer away?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:00 pm MBs gave a restricted gift. I don’t know the terms but it was requested bcs Hopkins was accepting applicants who could pay full tuition over more “qualified” applicants, at the time the Capital Campaign was lagging. He has never donated to athletics.
That's my understanding as well; and that's why Hopkins is now in a position to have need-blind admissions and very generous need-based financial aid.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that Bloomberg's money was ever for athletics.

But it makes the school much, much stronger, and that should ultimately have spillover benefit to the athletic program as well, I'd think.

Money should not be an impediment to attracting student-athletes.

At least in this forum, I'd think the sentiment would be the hope that athletics remain a big part of the overall educational experience opportunity for Hopkins students and that excellence remains the objective.

That's the way I feel about it for my alma mater, which has its own unique characteristics, but shares the aspect that financial aid should not be an impediment to attracting the students we want.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:53 pm
Yes there is
Let me guess. Degnon is coming back.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:13 pm That's my understanding as well; and that's why Hopkins is now in a position to have need-blind admissions and very generous need-based financial aid.

But it makes the school much, much stronger, and that should ultimately have spillover benefit to the athletic program as well, I'd think.

At least in this forum, I'd think the sentiment would be the hope that athletics remain a big part of the overall educational experience opportunity for Hopkins students and that excellence remains the objective.

That's the way I feel about it for my alma mater, which has its own unique characteristics, but shares the aspect that financial aid should not be an impediment to attracting the students we
Great Post. Not that it applies to anyone I know anymore but I would love to understand how the move to need based has impacted the lacrosse program. So many questions:
- Can the need based formula be applied to any lacrosse recruit?
- Does the award of one - need based vs Athletic scholarship preclude the other?
- If you could bundle - is Hopkins unique in its ability to potentially do so?
- If you cannot bundle - is that an NCAA rule or a Hopkins rule? If a Hopkins rule - it would seem to me that the "just win baby" camp would have it's biggest arrow in the anti Daniels quiver as bundling would seem to give Hopkins a decent weapon in the recruiting wars. I'm not sure how I feel about it - probably not great for one program to have a distinct advantage over all the others in lacrosse.
Regardless - the ability to potentially funnel a recruit one way or the other should give you optionality in spreading the 12.6 over the team sandwich - I still think Lars - recognizing UVA's ability to afford to be picky - has the 10 per class goal as the right one

With regards to the other thing - mildly surprised there hasn't been more reaction - Without personal knowldge HOB's guess is certainly the logical one. I have 3 immediate thoughts/wonders assuming it is what it is:
- Can't for the life of me figure out how they pulled it off
- Couldn't be happier for the young man himself - its obviously something he wanted
- Costs might be a little too strong a word but the return of a 6 year grad student does not come without ramifications - it seems Hopkins has pushed the chips all in for '24 - maybe a very wise move - 'but 25 will be low on experience - theoretically Bauer/Cam Chauvette/Evans/Dunn/Ince/Deans and Arteaga would still have an extra year of eligibility (none played in 2021 or in the case of Deans he can get a medical redshirt for '22). Melendez also would have another year but Angelus/Degnon/Grimes/Szuluk/Ierlan/MsDermott/Raposo/Peshko/Martin/Jaronski and technically Smith all go bye bye. Yes 2024 will be when several teams say farewell to alot of players but the other thing is Hopkins can't afford restless transfers of the kids who might not get playing time this year - exacerbated by this potential news as your attack is now set in stone (yes I know Melendez can do some box/midfield work) but those 3 are really never leaving the field.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:00 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:13 pm That's my understanding as well; and that's why Hopkins is now in a position to have need-blind admissions and very generous need-based financial aid.

That's the way I feel about it for my alma mater, which has its own unique characteristics, but shares the aspect that financial aid should not be an impediment to attracting the students we
Great Post. Not that it applies to anyone I know anymore but I would love to understand how the move to need based has impacted the lacrosse program. So many questions:
- Can the need based formula be applied to any lacrosse recruit? Yes. It doesn't matter how you were admitted, you are eligible once admitted
- Does the award of one - need based vs Athletic scholarship preclude the other? My understanding from discussions years ago is that NCAA rules preclude both, or that the need-based then gets charged to the 12.6, or some such math. Making it not make sense to layer. I may be wrong, so hopefully someone with more current knowledge and perhaps a cite could help with this. Edit: there were some COVID era modifications so I may be out of date
- If you could bundle - is Hopkins unique in its ability to potentially do so? I don't believe you can bundle, but Hokins is unique or in very rare company (can't think of another school right now) in having both very generous need-based aid OR the 12.6 allocation to distribute to others.
- If you cannot bundle - is that an NCAA rule or a Hopkins rule? It would be an NCAA rule if I am correct. If a Hopkins rule - it would seem to me that the "just win baby" camp would have it's biggest arrow in the anti Daniels quiver as bundling would seem to give Hopkins a decent weapon in the recruiting wars. I'm not sure how I feel about it - probably not great for one program to have a distinct advantage over all the others in lacrosse.
Regardless - the ability to potentially funnel a recruit one way or the other should give you optionality in spreading the 12.6 over the team sandwich - I still think Lars - recognizing UVA's ability to afford to be picky - has the 10 per class goal as the right one

I think most programs have been happy with the 10-12 range; roster in the 45 ballpark; transfers and extra years have put a wrinkle in that calc. A few programs seem to have the notion that more total is better...others have been willing to make cuts when needed to manage roster size or encourage redshirts to manage roster and PT
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:00 am

- Can the need based formula be applied to any lacrosse recruit?
- Does the award of one - need based vs Athletic scholarship preclude the other?
- If you could bundle - is Hopkins unique in its ability to potentially do so?
- If you cannot bundle - is that an NCAA rule or a Hopkins rule? If a Hopkins rule - it would seem to me that the "just win baby" camp would have it's biggest arrow in the anti Daniels quiver as bundling would seem to give Hopkins a decent weapon in the recruiting wars. I'm not sure how I feel about it - probably not great for one program to have a distinct advantage over all the others in lacrosse.

With regards to the other thing - mildly surprised there hasn't been more reaction - Without personal knowldge HOB's guess is certainly the logical one. I have 3 immediate thoughts/wonders assuming it is what it is:
- Couldn't be happier for the young man himself - its obviously something he wanted
as of 2 or 3 years ago, yes you can now stack need based and partials without it counting against the 12.6. hop was already unique with the bloomberg to do either/or, and now that's doubly so. they likely have more guys on big scholly than anyone in the country. of course, they also have to spread over 60 guys.

uva has roster limits, and without them it's probably unlikely they'd be so parsimonious. throw in covid years and an affinity for some transfers here and there and class sizes have dropped from 11-12 maybe to 10. for now.

as surprised as anyone if it's degnon. and yeah, i believe it'd be precedent.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:00 am With regards to the other thing - mildly surprised there hasn't been more reaction - Without personal knowldge HOB's guess is certainly the logical one. I have 3 immediate thoughts/wonders assuming it is what it is:
- Costs might be a little too strong a word but the return of a 6 year grad student does not come without ramifications - it seems Hopkins has pushed the chips all in for '24 - maybe a very wise move - 'but 25 will be low on experience - theoretically Bauer/Cam Chauvette/Evans/Dunn/Ince/Deans and Arteaga would still have an extra year of eligibility (none played in 2021 or in the case of Deans he can get a medical redshirt for '22). Melendez also would have another year but Angelus/Degnon/Grimes/Szuluk/Ierlan/MsDermott/Raposo/Peshko/Martin/Jaronski and technically Smith all go bye bye. Yes 2024 will be when several teams say farewell to alot of players but the other thing is Hopkins can't afford restless transfers of the kids who might not get playing time this year - exacerbated by this potential news as your attack is now set in stone (yes I know Melendez can do some box/midfield work) but those 3 are really never leaving the field.
Hasn't been made official but the winds blowing in from Homewood do suggest that #40 is back for one last ride.

If so, the pros far outweigh the cons, IMO. Lefty snipers who are a lock for 40 goals on 35% shooting do not grow on trees. I guess theoretically someone like H. Chauvette could have replicated or even exceeded those numbers — though I doubt it (at least as a freshman). GD is also a leader and captain, and by all accounts a big part of the positive culture shift. Having him back in the same role is a boon for Crawley in year 2 of a new system and the hopes of improving on the already good — but not yet elite — #13 offensive efficiency ranking.

The obvious "ramification" is less immediate action for the two highly ranked left-handed freshmen attackmen. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one is redshirted, especially since next year's class (the 24s) does not have a lefty attack recruit. If they're able to watch from the sidelines for a season then they could step into a 4-year starting role. Not a bad tradeoff.

Melendez plans to return in 2025. And if they pulled off this miracle with Degnon then that would make me feel better about Smith's chances for an extra year. Getting those two back would be huge but definitely a lot of talent walking out the door next year no matter what. I think it makes a lot of sense to put the chips in for '24. A quarterfinalist team that returns the entire offense and (possibly, hopefully) upgrades at goalie among other additions...seems like a decent recipe for a Final Four appearance.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

IL did another interview on recruiting this time with the Yale coach which I listened to part of. Very interesting. One comment in particular "I was trying to recruit better players than I inherited". It's been a few years but from what I remembered PM seemed for the most part very complimentary publicly of the talent he had inherited from Petro. I don't know if IL's doing PM in this, but they've covered the ivy, acc, service academy, huge big ten state school, and Hopkins is another separate bucket there.

The story on Degnon from the Annapolis paper was one of the best I read last spring. The newspaper there always does a nice job covering lacrosse and the navy/hop rivalry.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Truism: the rich really do get richer.

But, this doesn’t happen without a lot of effort, which in this case the coaching staff has exhibited — managing those God-awful covid 5 year rosters.

I suspect a lot of people are going to see the offensive side of the field next year.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Anyone seen Hopkins fall schedule? They attending the headstrong event October 7 @Hofstra?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A wipeout in game 1 of the Minto Cup semis

Stu Phillips with 5 and 6.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:21 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:00 am With regards to the other thing - mildly surprised there hasn't been more reaction - Without personal knowldge HOB's guess is certainly the logical one. I have 3 immediate thoughts/wonders assuming it is what it is:
Hasn't been made official but the winds blowing in from Homewood do suggest that #40 is back for one last ride.

If so, the pros far outweigh the cons, IMO. Lefty snipers who are a lock for 40 goals on 35% shooting do not grow on trees. I guess theoretically someone like H. Chauvette could have replicated or even exceeded those numbers — though I doubt it (at least as a freshman). GD is also a leader and captain, and by all accounts a big part of the positive culture shift. Having him back in the same role is a boon for Crawley in year 2 of a new system and the hopes of improving on the already good — but not yet elite — #13 offensive efficiency ranking.

The obvious "ramification" is less immediate action for the two highly ranked left-handed freshmen attackmen. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one is redshirted, especially since next year's class (the 24s) does not have a lefty attack recruit. If they're able to watch from the sidelines for a season then they could step into a 4-year starting role. Not a bad tradeoff.

Melendez plans to return in 2025. And if they pulled off this miracle with Degnon then that would make me feel better about Smith's chances for an extra year. Getting those two back would be huge but definitely a lot of talent walking out the door next year no matter what. I think it makes a lot of sense to put the chips in for '24. A quarterfinalist team that returns the entire offense and (possibly, hopefully) upgrades at goalie among other additions...seems like a decent recipe for a Final Four appearance.

~Dominic Toretto ~HopFan16
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:18 am as of 2 or 3 years ago, yes you can now stack need based and partials without it counting against the 12.6. hop was already unique with the bloomberg to do either/or, and now that's doubly so. they likely have more guys on big scholly than anyone in the country. of course, they also have to spread over 60 guys.

uva has roster limits, and without them it's probably unlikely they'd be so parsimonious.
Thanks for the help MD and wg... So theoretically Hopkins could be on the heels of a big recruit - have a sense he'll get some need based money and still offer him some of the 12.6 and further offset the financial obligation? If so - did I in fact recall that someone posted the Hopkins admin (i.e. Daniels) will not allow this layering/bundling practice? If not - then Hopkins may be able to bring at least a gun to the drone fight.
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:21 am If so, the pros far outweigh the cons, IMO. Lefty snipers who are a lock for 40 goals on 35% shooting do not grow on trees. I guess theoretically someone like H. Chauvette could have replicated or even exceeded those numbers — though I doubt it (at least as a freshman). GD is also a leader and captain, and by all accounts a big part of the positive culture shift. Having him back in the same role is a boon for Crawley in year 2 of a new system and the hopes of improving on the already good — but not yet elite — #13 offensive efficiency ranking.
Agree with all of this - I believe I may have even used the "doesn't grow on trees" line myself. Always like to think someone has an eye on the long term as well. Cetainly they have planned for the '24 great migration in terms of numbers - hoping they can get some more experience thrown in as well for '25
10stone5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:37 pm A wipeout in game 1 of the Minto Cup semis

With some discussion around what to do with Marquis - Phillips is the other potential current roster wild card - 2 gbs his freshmen season - 4 goals and 1 assist last year - took just 13 shots and therefore had a 31 for shot percentage. 8 gbs in his more limited time is a positive as well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:15 am ~Dominic Toretto ~HopFan16
Gotta be honest...I've seen all the Fast & Furious movies but I'm not getting this one.
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:19 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:37 pm A wipeout in game 1 of the Minto Cup semis

With some discussion around what to do with Marquis - Phillips is the other potential current roster wild card - 2 gbs his freshmen season - 4 goals and 1 assist last year - took just 13 shots and therefore had a 31 for shot percentage. 8 gbs in his more limited time is a positive as well.
Kinda feel like if he was going to be a major factor, it would have happened last season, but who knows. He had a monster year in the BCJALL last summer as well and then didn't play a whole lot at Homewood the following spring. Looked like a contributor early on with goals in three of the first four and then fell out of the mix. Maybe an injury? This will all sort itself out IMO. The offense is as meritocratic as it gets. If you make the case you should play, then you play.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins social media active today - touting Marquis' and Collison's stats this summer and a bunch of Insta pictures of the freshmen moving in
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 am Hopkins social media active today - touting Marquis' and Collison's stats this summer and a bunch of Insta pictures of the freshmen moving in
4th, 7th, and 8th from left in the bbq picture look like some big big dudes. Also have to think those high school bodies will change once Jay Dyer gets them on the d1 nutrition and training plan.

https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”