Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LeeRoggy

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by LeeRoggy »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 am And also, do you start to see Hobart and A-10 teams incoming freshmen being picked for these HS Senior summer all star teams ?
I noted that Villanova’s incoming freshmen made a solid name for himself this summer, but that kid had legacy, name recognition going for him.
And that is an interesting issue when it comes to ratings . . . name recognition and legacy tend to be overemphasized due to the amount of coverage the recruiting cycle gets in lacrosse, plus the pay to play of the club scene - "play for my club because I have the contacts"

I would love to check to see how many stars a player like Sergio Salcedo had when he graduated high school. How about Brendan Krebs?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

LeeRoggy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:54 am
10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 am And also, do you start to see Hobart and A-10 teams incoming freshmen being picked for these HS Senior summer all star teams ?
I noted that Villanova’s incoming freshmen made a solid name for himself this summer, but that kid had legacy, name recognition going for him.
And that is an interesting issue when it comes to ratings . . . name recognition and legacy tend to be overemphasized due to the amount of coverage the recruiting cycle gets in lacrosse, plus the pay to play of the club scene - "play for my club because I have the contacts"

I would love to check to see how many stars a player like Sergio Salcedo had when he graduated high school. How about Brendan Krebs?
A good example of unrated players is our own Chris Aslanian, '19. A 4 year starter for us and the D I record holder for points as well. Drafted in the 2nd round by the Denver Outlaws and is currently playing (quite a bit) for the PLL Cannons. He wasn't ranked, and outside of Coach Raymond , had very little recruiting interest from other D I programs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 am Good to hear, for Hobart and the A-10 as a whole, the uptick in scholarships.

This development / possibility is interesting since a view of the ever “hated” IL top xx for 2022-2023-2024 - with the exception of Georgetown and the service academies, all the IL Top 50 in those 3 classes have Big Three commitments.
There were outliers this year past - Towson and Loyola each secured a legitimate (and ranked) Top 10-20 incoming freshman, both of whom performed well.

And yes, I have noticed an uptick in Hobart and A-10 “star ratings”, 3-stars, 4-stars.

And also, do you start to see Hobart and A-10 teams incoming freshmen being picked for these HS Senior summer all star teams ?
The adjustment of 3 star seems to have added a lot. Can’t imagine Eric Holden and Ryan Archer weren’t 3 stars, archer was like 60 in the IL top 100.

Looks like there’s 4-5 AAs in the FR class, four from NY-3 from section 5, maybe 1-2 from other states. Hard to tell, there’s a very athletic middies from St Louis coming in who could adjust to the level well. I think from the info available Chris Patterson from Bronxville may be the most decorated of the incoming class. He’s small so will also have to adjust to playing a lot of 6’2” 215 close D 21-22yr olds.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:03 pm
LeeRoggy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:54 am

A good example of unrated players is our own Chris Aslanian, '19. A 4 year starter for us and the D I record holder for points as well. Drafted in the 2nd round by the Denver Outlaws and is currently playing (quite a bit) for the PLL Cannons. He wasn't ranked, and outside of Coach Raymond , had very little recruiting interest from other D I programs.
Yet everyone wanted his younger brother who went to GTown. (Grimaldi is going to UMass next year).
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

None of Grimaldi's kids went to Hobart. One went to Towson, one to Ithaca and Chris will be a freshman at UMass.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:54 pm None of Grimaldi's kids went to Hobart. One went to Towson, one to Ithaca and Chris will be a freshman at UMass.
What about Kyle? There’s four siblings. Surprised you forgot since he graduated in 2019. As a refresher. https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... aldi/13901
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

OMG, senior moment ;) The only one I saw play was Devin(Towson).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:06 pm OMG, senior moment ;) The only one I saw play was Devin(Towson).
We’ve lost a lot of kids of pent alums so no worries. Wouldn’t expect Feds kids kid but some like Sipperly would’ve been nice .
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Or Donnie Molloy's(Dylan) or Mike Smith's(2 sons played for Duke)...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Listened to the IL podcast with Yale HC Andy Shay. One thing that stood out was his comment that he was NOT done recruiting for the'24 class. Yale has 10 '24 recruits according to IL. He obviously thinks there is still talent that fits at Yale (think Ben Reeves). I wonder if Coach Raymond is done with '24 recruiting. As of now, there are 13 recruits listed for '24. Considering the amount of 5th year players and non-covid seniors, which the '24 class is, we're graduating a large chunk of the team. If my information is correct, Raymond has 9 athletic scholarships to work with for the'25 class. Hope we can continue getting better talent. As FFG mentioned, we have5 US Lacrosse AAs arriving on campus in a few days. That's the most in quite a while. The '25 recruiting games begin September 1.
man:down

Post by man:down »

This is interesting. Circling back to a question I posed a couple of weeks ago - maybe this bigger/better recruiting drives the answer to how the coaches will handle red-shirt kids in the current (upcoming) senior class. In short, maybe the coaches will prefer to focus on younger guys than keep more 5th years around after this year.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Getting AA's to commit is great, but many AA's were cut back in my day--and the AA designation is even more watered down now ;) I'm more concerned with athleticism and size and the ssdm position, in addition to SIZE everywhere on the field.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Classes started today. When does practice start for the team?
Last edited by oldbartman on Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

S/O C. Aslanian '19 helping push the PLL Cannons into the Semi Finals next weekend.

Hip Hip !
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Taking another positive spin on the future from looking at the last few years I think given certain conditions (health, stability of roster) that there’s plenty of upside. Can’t get much worse on D and goalie than the last 1-2 seasons and there’s talent there. New goalies coming and I like Wilson. Firth and Duby are good players. Excluding super seniors and grad students (Barthelme, Herlihy, Grooms, think one or a few more), the class of 24 contributed less pts on offense than 23 or 25.

Class of 23 - 92pts (Barthelme, Simas, Herlihy & Grooms were 66 of those with 3/4 coming back)

Class of 24 - 69pts (Dattellas, Bach and Ward are 63 of those not much else, Duby also in class)

Class of 25 - 88pts (All Delano, Considine, Rosa and Greene but you also have Wimer and Firth in that class)

Need to improve all that was wrong on D and get some health but there should be more continuity than in a few years and familiarity from what seems like a little bit of a turn of the team from the 18-21 teams into something different. That’s where I could see 2023 being like 2018 was in a rebuild leading to 19 & 20.

Can see where they’re trying to build a stable of two way or SSDMs that are bigger and more athletic. Wimer, Dino, Brown and Belle Walker and Race will be fine even if smaller as he plays bigger than his size.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Grooms is not coming back. He is in a graduate program at LeMoyne and is listed on the men's lacrosse roster for 2024.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Hard to predict these things. 1 year ago the chalk was that Hobert’s D would have to carry the water until the O found its footing. The D disappointed and the O was better than expected. Hobart loses a couple of really good guys on D. Christiansen and Synnott not easily replaced
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:57 pm Grooms is not coming back. He is in a graduate program at LeMoyne and is listed on the men's lacrosse roster for 2024.
Interesting, was told those three were coming back but some others with eligibility were gone. Wonder if we will play LeMoyne next spring.

Know they haven’t made it easy for athletes to just get waived into the grad Mgt program and turned away as many or more than they’ve accepted.
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:50 pm
oldbartman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:57 pm Grooms is not coming back. He is in a graduate program at LeMoyne and is listed on the men's lacrosse roster for 2024.
Interesting, was told those three were coming back but some others with eligibility were gone. Wonder if we will play LeMoyne next spring.

Know they haven’t made it easy for athletes to just get waived into the grad Mgt program and turned away as many or more than they’ve accepted.
I'm sure LeMoyne would like to schedule us. Back in the TW years we scrimmaged them and they gave us a tough time. Very physical. Though a new coach probably brings a different style. They will have a chip on their respective shoulders and will want to make an early statement. They have won the D II national championship in 2021, so they're no slouch.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:50 pm

I'm sure LeMoyne would like to schedule us. Back in the TW years we scrimmaged them and they gave us a tough time. Very physical. Though a new coach probably brings a different style. They will have a cip on their respective shoulders and will want to make an early statement. They have won the D II national championship in 2021, so they're no slouch.

I’d expect them to be similar to Bryant, LIU or
Mack when they move up. Depth will be wanting but some talent and well coached. Is Sheehan gonzo now? Makes a big difference. Think LIU would’ve been sunk w/O Wolf. Same for Mack w/o Morgan. Those are tri professional coaches.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”