Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by oldbartman »

Yes. I think there is now an additional PAID assistant coach allowed by the NC$$.
Last edited by oldbartman on Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone catch any new incoming FR? I've seen two off IL, Robert Kinslow, who I'm optimistic could be a heck of a D man from Pal Mac. And a Tyler Cavo from AOF (CT) who I can't find much on.

IL has 11 so that would be 13. We lost Matthews a while back. Kind of feel like it's probable theres 1-3 more, potentially impactful, not floating around, perhaps so tambroni and shay cant find them!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Small factoid: since 2020 (only 5 games) we’ve had two FR score double digits

Herlihy w 13pts in 5 games in 20 & Dattellas w 16pts in 9 games in 21.

Rosa had 9 in 22 in 13 games

Before that we had:

2 in 2019 in Knox (41pts) and Madonna (32pts)
2 in 2018 in Scott Archer (32pts) & Mott (13pts)
2 in 2017 in Scott (33pts) & Holden (16pts)

Granted we’ve only had 5,9,13 & 13 games the last four seasons vs 16 in 17&19 and 14 games in 18 so you could see where Rosa would’ve hit double digits in 22 with 1-3 more games but a noticeable difference.

By comparison in 21 Dattellas was top FR, 22 it was Rosa and 23 Peterkin at 4pts. Maybe Covid and extra upperclassmen impact this to a degree and clearly some kids went from injuries or limited play in their second year but it’s the thing that worries me the most.

Conversely;

-Delano went from 3pts and injured part of his FR year to 29pts (Holden went from 16 to 39 to 65 in three full seasons)
-Considine went from limited play in 3 games to 23pts in 11 games (one he didn’t play much in)
-Greene went from 3pts to 15pts
-Barthelme got his first full season in and threw up 25pts
-Rosa went from 9 to 21pts

Either we’re going to have a ten deep diverse and dynamic offense of challenged until we find another true impact player on that end after a heck of a run from 17-22
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Another 2024 commitment posted in IL. Was tuned in by a friend today on

Chase Hallam, M, Severn (MD) - https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

Maybe there’s 1-2 more but 24 appears fairly done now:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... rt/30/2024
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

Teddy Fenlin also recruited, St. Joe's Prep

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LeeRoggy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:37 pm Teddy Fenlin also recruited, St. Joe's Prep

6’2” is good
man:down

Post by man:down »

updated list of guys who are (apparently) coming back for a 5th year:
Herlihy
Grooms
Orlando
Ballo
Shea
Barthelme
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

man:down wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:50 pm updated list of guys who are (apparently) coming back for a 5th year:
Herlihy
Grooms
Orlando
Ballo
Shea
Barthelme
I had heard rumors about Herlihy and Grooms. Ballo and Orlando are a bit of a surprise to me. Does a (assumed healthy) Herlihy play attack, midfield or the floating position that Derrek Madonna played so well? Too bad Mason Romm was never truly healthy.

Not sure where they play Herlihy. Seems like they wanted his stick on the field last year and he wasn't necessarily in "middie" shape so attack was the answer. If he can stay healthy, I think they'll want him on the field as much as possible again. My uneducated opinion is that he can get his hands free against a short-stick. His back and forth dodging as an attack wasn't as effective. He should come out of the box, as should Greene.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

man:down wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:03 am Not sure where they play Herlihy. Seems like they wanted his stick on the field last year and he wasn't necessarily in "middie" shape so attack was the answer. If he can stay healthy, I think they'll want him on the field as much as possible again. My uneducated opinion is that he can get his hands free against a short-stick. His back and forth dodging as an attack wasn't as effective. He should come out of the box, as should Greene.
Even though he’s not a natural feeder I could envision a nice inside out game between Barthelme and Herlihy. I was surprised and impressed when I saw Barthelme live at High Point. He’s figured out how to use his body second half of last year and he can feed and score. Having him bully close D and shoot or feed up to Herlihy in theory sounds great. Have Bach as the alley dodger. Considine pure scorer. Herlihy and Greene as utility midfielders.

With health you can see where this offense could be dynamic and guys are playing their roles along with Dattellas, Rosa and Delano. I don’t think any Ike if those seven kids played every game or was healthy last year and still produced 178pts (122,57), just above an avg of 25pts. Herlihy played like half of a few games.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I wonder if Ward could also be a feeder. I'd love to see him used more broadly.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:56 pm I wonder if Ward could also be a feeder. I'd love to see him used more broadly.
Ward has great hands. He needs to work on his mobility/dodging. Would love to see him expand his repertoire. This attack has solid pieces. It's a matter of the coaches putting the puzzle together.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Obviously the D and Goal are the major questions. While the offesne struggled occasionally, when healthy there's a lot there. On O though, there's a borderling bottleneck at attack and offense in general. Understanding this is just dumb speculation, who would people have as their first six and then next few in? Would love to see more Ward beyond EMO but would have to be in sets we haven't seen with this group yet. Maybe Ward behind the cage with Herlihy, Considine and Rosa up top and whoever on GLE around him. (maybe Delano and Dattellas)

Dattellas
Herlihy
Barthelme
Considine
Delano
Bach

Rosa
Greene
Ward
Grooms
Peterkin
Delaney

Sure there's a few already on the roster getting healthy or preparing to step up a level and earn PT (Wimer, Snellenberg, Evnin, Begina, etc) plus FR.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Two more weeks, 2025 incoming junior commitments will commence.
I will be looking to see how the A-10 teams do in this regard - will 2025 freshmen be attracted to this new and presumably on-an-upward-trajectory league versus the big three ?
Don’t expect anything monumental - but worth keeping an eye on.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:58 am Two more weeks, 2025 incoming junior commitments will commence.
I will be looking to see how the A-10 teams do in this regard - will 2025 freshmen be attracted to this new and presumably on-an-upward-trajectory league versus the big three ?
Doubtful, given this is the end of the Covid era 5th year players..the big 3 will be loading up on 2025's.

Ward doesn't have the lateral quickness of the smaller guys and while he is a big guy, he doesn't have the girth of Barthelme, but he is very fast and his hands (which the coaches seem to think are as good as anyone's) and vision with the ball and off-ball could definitely help the offense. He seems to be be very cautious with the ball so he doesn't take guys on too often and maybe that's why he isn't out there more? But then again, he hasn't been given the chance to dodge since he is on EMO. I like the idea of different guys in various sets. Seems like that would be a nightmare for a Defense to prepare for an deal with.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 am
10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:58 am Two more weeks, 2025 incoming junior commitments will commence.
Doubtful, given this is the end of the Covid era 5th year players..the big 3 will be loading up on 2025's.
Here are some 2025s which NLF has been hyping,

in case anyone’s interested,

https://nlfrankings.com/tag/class-of-2025/

Post by oldbartman »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:06 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 am
Here are some 2025s which NLF has been hyping,

in case anyone’s interested,

https://nlfrankings.com/tag/class-of-2025/

I seriously doubt any of these players would consider Hobart (their mistake). ACC, B1G and Ivys more likely destinations. Though with Hobart finally allowed to offer athletic scholarships ( I believe up to 9 for the '25 class), Coach Raymond may be able to persuade more high quality players than prior to the NC$$ change of "heart".
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

It is my understanding that St. Joe’s has had an uptick in recruiting. Assuming some of that is due to their recent success but also due to the higher profile of the A-10. Would assume the same for the rest of conference. Add Athletic $$ to Hobert’s equation and would guess they are recruiting at a higher level.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good to hear, for Hobart and the A-10 as a whole, the uptick in scholarships.

This development / possibility is interesting since a view of the ever “hated” IL top xx for 2022-2023-2024 - with the exception of Georgetown and the service academies, all the IL Top 50 in those 3 classes have Big Three commitments.
There were outliers this year past - Towson and Loyola each secured a legitimate (and ranked) Top 10-20 incoming freshman, both of whom performed well.

And yes, I have noticed an uptick in Hobart and A-10 “star ratings”, 3-stars, 4-stars.

And also, do you start to see Hobart and A-10 teams incoming freshmen being picked for these HS Senior summer all star teams ?
I noted that Villanova’s incoming freshmen made a solid name for himself this summer, but that kid had legacy, name recognition going for him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”