THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

viper wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 am
molo wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:00 pm Part of coaching is making adjustments. The team that beat Maryland twice in a week is not the same as the one that Penn State drubbed two weeks ago. It always helps to have a few helpful recommendations, of course.
Where do you think Petro learned to coach? By reading this board!
- Playing Zinn more
- Pushing transition
- More Cole Williams up top
- Cutting down on turnovers
- Go deeper into the bench for FOGO, LSM, and SSDM
If only he had listened to all us experts back in February.
Didn't Petro recruit Evan Zinn or was he a hold over from the prior staff? You can't rush development and not every player is on the same timetable. I would rather see Zinn improve and solidify his spot on first mid field and be a dominant player the next three years versus a player that walks out the door as the same player he was coming in. I imagine if you were to ask Evan how his experience hasbeen this year, he won't have a problem with it. The kid was a freshman getting on the field.
Good call, actually John Haus and the previous coaching staff got a commitment letter from Zinn's parents while pregnant with him.

I suspect that you are correct about Zinn being okay with his freshman year. Though its difficult to not wonder what might have been different if he had been moved along just a tad bit quicker. No reason he couldn't have been on the field more during games that were already decided against teams like Towson, Loyola, PSU, etc.
Maybe. I also noticed Evan Zinn has/had been playing with a wrap on his hammy. Sometimes players have to show enough in practice to get more confidence in themselves and from the coaches. If Evan had hit the ground running, this year may have been different. Going from his HS team to JHU is a big jump. Not like Tinney who played a national schedule in HS and was older (I believe)...... and had a ton of confidence. My words or advice is always, make it hard for the coach NOT to play you. In the end, it is up to the players. No coach is going to sit a guy that can help him win for no reason (other than being dumb). Evan Zinn has played as a freshmen. MOST freshmen don't play. He is a good player that has continued to improve this season.
“I wish you would!”
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 am
viper wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 am
molo wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:00 pm Part of coaching is making adjustments. The team that beat Maryland twice in a week is not the same as the one that Penn State drubbed two weeks ago. It always helps to have a few helpful recommendations, of course.
Where do you think Petro learned to coach? By reading this board!
- Playing Zinn more
- Pushing transition
- More Cole Williams up top
- Cutting down on turnovers
- Go deeper into the bench for FOGO, LSM, and SSDM
If only he had listened to all us experts back in February.
Didn't Petro recruit Evan Zinn or was he a hold over from the prior staff? You can't rush development and not every player is on the same timetable. I would rather see Zinn improve and solidify his spot on first mid field and be a dominant player the next three years versus a player that walks out the door as the same player he was coming in. I imagine if you were to ask Evan how his experience hasbeen this year, he won't have a problem with it. The kid was a freshman getting on the field.
Good call, actually John Haus and the previous coaching staff got a commitment letter from Zinn's parents while pregnant with him.

I suspect that you are correct about Zinn being okay with his freshman year. Though its difficult to not wonder what might have been different if he had been moved along just a tad bit quicker. No reason he couldn't have been on the field more during games that were already decided against teams like Towson, Loyola, PSU, etc.
Maybe. I also noticed Evan Zinn has/had been playing with a wrap on his hammy. Sometimes players have to show enough in practice to get more confidence in themselves and from the coaches. If Evan had hit the ground running, this year may have been different. Going from his HS team to JHU is a big jump. Not like Tinney who played a national schedule in HS and was older (I believe)...... and had a ton of confidence. My words or advice is always, make it hard for the coach NOT to play you. In the end, it is up to the players. No coach is going to sit a guy that can help him win for no reason (other than being dumb). Evan Zinn has played as a freshmen. MOST freshmen don't play. He is a good player that has continued to improve this season.
+1
a fan

Post by a fan »

Maybe (gasp) Zinn has improved as a player as the season progressed, and he's not the same player he was in February...and he simply earned his PT like everyone else?

I know, I know. It's insane to even suggest this. Because it's just not possible that the coaching staff at Johns Hopkins University knows more than a bunch of posters on a forum.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:06 am I doubt that there’s anything written on this board that the coaches haven’t already thought of.

Except cats.
THIS.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Evan Zinn has played as a freshmen. MOST freshmen don't play. He is a good player that has continued to improve this season.
Agree with this, but note every game he has made a least one Frosh mistake, leading to a TO. As the late Al McGuire used to say, 'the best thing about Freshman is that they become Sophomores.'

(The chance to get underclassmen some PT is why I would schedule at least one cupcake per year.)
Typical Lax Dad

Big Dog wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:00 pm
Evan Zinn has played as a freshmen. MOST freshmen don't play. He is a good player that has continued to improve this season.
Agree with this, but note every game he has made a least one Frosh mistake, leading to a TO. As the late Al McGuire used to say, 'the best thing about Freshman is that they become Sophomores.'

(The chance to get underclassmen some PT is why I would schedule at least one cupcake per year.)
I loved Al McGuire. The first college basketball game I ever attended was Marquette vs UNC Charlotte with Cedric Cornbread Maxwell, I believe. My mom took me and my best friend. Al McGuire and Billy Packer were great a team....Al also said he would never recruit a point guard that had grass in the front yard!
“I wish you would!”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

admin wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm
Great highlight reel! Thanks!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LaxFactor does a good job. For what it's worth, we regularly post their stuff (and others) at the bottom of our homepage.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Found a picture of Syracuse and/or Maryland fans this evening:
CC7D93A7-E5FD-4C43-B9ED-CB3B11B18CA4.jpeg
CC7D93A7-E5FD-4C43-B9ED-CB3B11B18CA4.jpeg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

It would be quite the anomaly if Maryland stays home and Hopkins gets in based heavily on its wins over the Terps.
Typical Lax Dad

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:52 pm Found a picture of Syracuse and/or Maryland fans this evening:

2nd funniest thing I had read on Fanlax this week!
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

Al noted that if it weren't for whiskey, the Irish would rule the world.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:01 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:52 pm Found a picture of Syracuse and/or Maryland fans this evening:

We pay Wombat extra for posts like that.
molo

Post by molo »

No offense to the distiller with the McGuire comment. I'm Irish enough, I don't drink whiskey, and I've never been in danger of ruling much of anything.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’m going to have to ask what was the funniest.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

a fan wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm

We pay Wombat extra for posts like that.
I’m trying to pass the time without drinking. I would pass out by 9 PM if I were drinking.

Why the hell is the show at 9 PM?
a fan

Post by a fan »

molo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:36 pm No offense to the distiller with the McGuire comment. I'm Irish enough, I don't drink whiskey, and I've never been in danger of ruling much of anything.
None taken. "Some of my best friends" are Irish (distillers). ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Why the hell is the show at 9 PM?
So it can steal some of the Game Of Thrones viewers.
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

Great game yesterday, but Thrones #1, lacrosse#2... 😉

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”