media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: media matters

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:33 pm And yet Joe continually gets a pass from this crowd.
That's right. And I told folks this was coming as folks here defended Trump's nonsense. I was ignored.

Remember telling posters that they had TDS if they dared to comment on anything Trump did? :lol: So in what world do you think you have any standing when it comes to criticizing Biden's nonsense, my man? ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:33 pm And yet Joe continually gets a pass from this crowd.
That's right. And I told folks this was coming as folks here defended Trump's nonsense. I was ignored.

Remember telling posters that they had TDS if they dared to comment on anything Trump did? :lol: So in what world do you think you have any standing when it comes to criticizing Biden's nonsense, my man? ;)
of course you were ignored….your always right. 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:33 pm And yet Joe continually gets a pass from this crowd. 😂😂 I suppose Joe is the 10th wonder of the world, since he thinks the Grand Canyon in one of the 9 wonders of the world.

Seems Bill Hemmer could ask be POTUS. 😂
Like you and "your crowd" conflating everything people say here that you cannot easily and rationally defend. Seems to me that Hemmer's gaffe isn't in the same universe as the example you give. He allegedly studied European history and still made a MAJOR gaffe on national television. As usual, you play the whataboutism card every time...like clockwork actually

You mock a fan for playing games and then do exactly the same thing you rip him for. :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:00 pm

:lol: Not even CLOSE. And unlike most folks here? I HAPPILY admit when I'm wrong....and I'm wrong frequently.

And admitting when i'm wrong doesn't hurt. Not even a little.

This exchange tells me you remember folks throwing "TDS" at ANY criticism of our POTUS with no difficulty.

Have you noticed anyone claiming you have "Biden derangement Syndrome" when you hit Joe?

That's right, my man, you don't. What does that tell you?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

There are generally “Seven World Wonders”….Biden had another brain fart….in the meantime there is this…. https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/env ... id=2030163
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... newspaper/

"Police in Kansas raided a local newspaper and its publisher’s home on Friday, seizing computers and other records — an action that sparked outrage from First Amendment advocates and that may have contributed to the death of the paper’s 98-year-old co-owner on Saturday.

The raid unfolded in Marion, a town about 60 miles north of Wichita, and appears to have stemmed from a dispute between a local restaurant owner and her estranged husband in a divorce proceeding.

The restaurant owner, Kari Newell, claimed that the newspaper, the Marion County Record, had illegally obtained damaging information about a 2008 conviction for drunken driving and was preparing to publish it, leading a local judge to issue a warrant authorizing police to seize the newspaper’s files.

The Record, a family-owned weekly serving the small town of about 1,900, didn’t publish the information about Newell’s conviction for drunken driving and has denied that it came by it illegally.

In an unbylined story, the Record called the raid “illegal” and said it had led to the death on Saturday of Joan Meyer, the paper’s co-owner and the mother of Eric Meyer, its editor and publisher.

The newspaper said Joan Meyer had been “stressed beyond her limits and overwhelmed by hours of shock and grief” following the raid, which involved the town’s entire five-person police force.

Police raids on news organizations are almost unknown in the United States and are illegal under most circumstances under state and federal law. “This shouldn’t happen in America,” said Emily Bradbury, the executive director of the Kansas Press Association, in an interview Sunday. She added: “Freedom of the press is fundamental to our democracy. … We’re not going to let this stand on our watch.”

Bradbury said the newspaper’s records could have been obtained via a subpoena, a court-ordered command for specific material that is subject to legal objections, not “an unannounced search.”

Eric Meyer went further in a Record news story on Saturday, describing the seizure of the paper’s computers and cellphones as “Gestapo tactics.”

The Record had been actively investigating Police Chief Gideon Cody at the time of the raid after receiving tips that he had left his previous job in Kansas City, Mo., to avoid repercussions for alleged sexual misconduct charges, Meyer said in an interview published Saturday on the Handbasket, a newsletter by journalist Marisa Kabas. Though the paper never ran the information, details about the investigation — including the identities of those who made the allegations against Cody — were in a computer seized by police.

Meyer, a former Milwaukee Journal reporter for 20 years and professor at the University of Illinois for 26, is the son of the Record’s late editor in chief, Bill Meyer. His family bought the paper in 1998.

The raid and its aftermath followed a fast-moving sequence of events.

Newell, the restaurant owner, spoke at a public city council meeting last Monday in an effort to obtain approval for a liquor license for her catering business.

She said at the meeting that her “private personal information” — records of her drunken driving conviction and other driving violations — had been illegally obtained by a reporter and had been shared with a council member, Ruth Herbel.

The records could undermine Newell’s license application. State law prohibits issuing liquor licenses to applicants with felony DUI convictions.

She accused Herbel of “recklessly and negligently” sharing the information with “others” in violation of state privacy and identity-theft laws. Herbel denied doing so.

Instead, in a news story following Newell’s accusation, Eric Meyer wrote that the paper obtained the information about Newell from “a source who contacted the Record via social media and independently sent the material to both the newspaper” and to Herbel.

The newspaper said it verified the source’s claim that the information had come from a government database, but decided not to publish it out of concern that the source may have obtained the records through illicit means. The paper also notified the county sheriff and city police chief about the leak.

Meyer wrote that Newell had verified the accuracy of the information in a conversation with the newspaper immediately after the council meeting.

She indicated, according to Meyer, that she believed that her estranged husband was behind the disclosure as part of a divorce proceeding in which he sought to retain ownership of the couple’s vehicles on grounds that she didn’t possess a license.

According to Meyer, Herbel, the councilwoman, alerted Marion’s city administrator about the alleged records breach, advising him that police should investigate.

Tensions between the paper and Newell had flared a few days before the city council hearing when Newell hosted a campaign event for Rep. Jake LaTurner (R) at Newell’s restaurant in Marion. At the time, Newell asked police to bar Meyer and another Record reporter from the event.

Magistrate Judge Laura Viar, citing possible identity theft and illegal use of a computer, authorized the search of the newspaper’s offices and the Meyers’ residence Friday morning.

A state law passed in 2022 defines identity theft as having the intent to “misrepresent [another] person in order to subject that person to economic or bodily harm.”

However, the exact justification for the search warrant isn’t known, because the judge hasn’t released the affidavit supporting it. The affidavit would have been filed by Marion County officials.

First Amendment advocates continue to question the raid.

On Sunday, more than 30 news organizations and press groups, including The Washington Post, wrote an open letter to Marion Police Chief Cody condemning the action. “Newsroom searches and seizures are among the most intrusive actions law enforcement can take with respect to the free press, and the most potentially suppressive of free speech by the press and the public,” wrote the group, headed by the nonprofit Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.

Bradbury, the press association director, said her group would support the Record if it challenged local officials in court. “No matter what side of the aisle you’re on, everyone should be concerned” about “government overreach and trying to silence investigative work.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:22 pm
:lol: Not even CLOSE. And unlike most folks here? I HAPPILY admit when I'm wrong....and I'm wrong frequently.

This exchange tells me you remember folks throwing "TDS" at ANY criticism of our POTUS with no difficulty.

Have you noticed anyone claiming you have "Biden derangement Syndrome" when you hit Joe?

That's right, my man, you don't. What does that tell you? It tells me you are not paying close attention, are quick triggered, or just just want to play the partisan role.
oops.

Let me google that for you, plenty of the BDS slang: search.php?keywords=BDS&fid%5B0%5D=66

I will save you the TDS search, there were 2256 hits and you accounted for 140 of them. :)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:07 amoops.

Let me google that for you, plenty of the BDS slang: search.php?keywords=BDS&fid%5B0%5D=66

I will save you the TDS search, there were 2256 hits and you accounted for 140 of them. :)
So 91 vs. 2256. And a lot of the BDS responses are cheeky references to TDS. Not exactly the same ballpark you're playing in. :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:07 am

That's right, my man, you don't. What does that tell you? It tells me you are not paying close attention, are quick triggered, or just just want to play the partisan role.
oops.

:lol: They're being sarcastic, and mocking that they were told they had TDS for four years, my man.

But sure, I'll cop to being wrong. My mistake. There is such at thing as BDS. Mea culpa.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am

oops.

:lol: They're being sarcastic, and mocking that they were told they had TDS for four years, my man.

But sure, I'll cop to being wrong. My mistake. There is such at thing as BDS. Mea culpa.
Just having some fun with ya.....have a great day! Any plans of your 'mellow corn' heading to stores or just staying local to CO?
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:58 am
a fan wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am

oops.

Just having some fun with ya.....have a great day!
Oh, I 'm sure I've earned it. Thank you for putting up with me and my silliness!

The Corn Whiskey is distillery only----it's a beer and a shot whiskey, ftr. We're working on getting online direct shipping....hope to be on line by october. Then you'll be set with whatever you want!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Hilarious that the best Faux News could do last night was have Caitlyn Jenner weigh in on the Deep State. :oops:

Saltine must be loving that Jenner is on his side - but is she really male or female? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos to the booking producer for Maddow scheduling Hillary Clinton for last night's show. :lol:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:59 am Interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... newspaper/

"Police in Kansas raided a local newspaper and its publisher’s home on Friday, seizing computers and other records — an action that sparked outrage from First Amendment advocates and that may have contributed to the death of the paper’s 98-year-old co-owner on Saturday.

The raid unfolded in Marion, a town about 60 miles north of Wichita, and appears to have stemmed from a dispute between a local restaurant owner and her estranged husband in a divorce proceeding.

The restaurant owner, Kari Newell, claimed that the newspaper, the Marion County Record, had illegally obtained damaging information about a 2008 conviction for drunken driving and was preparing to publish it, leading a local judge to issue a warrant authorizing police to seize the newspaper’s files.

The Record, a family-owned weekly serving the small town of about 1,900, didn’t publish the information about Newell’s conviction for drunken driving and has denied that it came by it illegally.

In an unbylined story, the Record called the raid “illegal” and said it had led to the death on Saturday of Joan Meyer, the paper’s co-owner and the mother of Eric Meyer, its editor and publisher.

The newspaper said Joan Meyer had been “stressed beyond her limits and overwhelmed by hours of shock and grief” following the raid, which involved the town’s entire five-person police force.

Police raids on news organizations are almost unknown in the United States and are illegal under most circumstances under state and federal law. “This shouldn’t happen in America,” said Emily Bradbury, the executive director of the Kansas Press Association, in an interview Sunday. She added: “Freedom of the press is fundamental to our democracy. … We’re not going to let this stand on our watch.”

Bradbury said the newspaper’s records could have been obtained via a subpoena, a court-ordered command for specific material that is subject to legal objections, not “an unannounced search.”

Eric Meyer went further in a Record news story on Saturday, describing the seizure of the paper’s computers and cellphones as “Gestapo tactics.”

The Record had been actively investigating Police Chief Gideon Cody at the time of the raid after receiving tips that he had left his previous job in Kansas City, Mo., to avoid repercussions for alleged sexual misconduct charges, Meyer said in an interview published Saturday on the Handbasket, a newsletter by journalist Marisa Kabas. Though the paper never ran the information, details about the investigation — including the identities of those who made the allegations against Cody — were in a computer seized by police.

Meyer, a former Milwaukee Journal reporter for 20 years and professor at the University of Illinois for 26, is the son of the Record’s late editor in chief, Bill Meyer. His family bought the paper in 1998.

The raid and its aftermath followed a fast-moving sequence of events.

Newell, the restaurant owner, spoke at a public city council meeting last Monday in an effort to obtain approval for a liquor license for her catering business.

She said at the meeting that her “private personal information” — records of her drunken driving conviction and other driving violations — had been illegally obtained by a reporter and had been shared with a council member, Ruth Herbel.

The records could undermine Newell’s license application. State law prohibits issuing liquor licenses to applicants with felony DUI convictions.

She accused Herbel of “recklessly and negligently” sharing the information with “others” in violation of state privacy and identity-theft laws. Herbel denied doing so.

Instead, in a news story following Newell’s accusation, Eric Meyer wrote that the paper obtained the information about Newell from “a source who contacted the Record via social media and independently sent the material to both the newspaper” and to Herbel.

The newspaper said it verified the source’s claim that the information had come from a government database, but decided not to publish it out of concern that the source may have obtained the records through illicit means. The paper also notified the county sheriff and city police chief about the leak.

Meyer wrote that Newell had verified the accuracy of the information in a conversation with the newspaper immediately after the council meeting.

She indicated, according to Meyer, that she believed that her estranged husband was behind the disclosure as part of a divorce proceeding in which he sought to retain ownership of the couple’s vehicles on grounds that she didn’t possess a license.

According to Meyer, Herbel, the councilwoman, alerted Marion’s city administrator about the alleged records breach, advising him that police should investigate.

Tensions between the paper and Newell had flared a few days before the city council hearing when Newell hosted a campaign event for Rep. Jake LaTurner (R) at Newell’s restaurant in Marion. At the time, Newell asked police to bar Meyer and another Record reporter from the event.

Magistrate Judge Laura Viar, citing possible identity theft and illegal use of a computer, authorized the search of the newspaper’s offices and the Meyers’ residence Friday morning.

A state law passed in 2022 defines identity theft as having the intent to “misrepresent [another] person in order to subject that person to economic or bodily harm.”

However, the exact justification for the search warrant isn’t known, because the judge hasn’t released the affidavit supporting it. The affidavit would have been filed by Marion County officials.

First Amendment advocates continue to question the raid.

On Sunday, more than 30 news organizations and press groups, including The Washington Post, wrote an open letter to Marion Police Chief Cody condemning the action. “Newsroom searches and seizures are among the most intrusive actions law enforcement can take with respect to the free press, and the most potentially suppressive of free speech by the press and the public,” wrote the group, headed by the nonprofit Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.

Bradbury, the press association director, said her group would support the Record if it challenged local officials in court. “No matter what side of the aisle you’re on, everyone should be concerned” about “government overreach and trying to silence investigative work.”
The DA cancelled the investigation and ordered the return of all seized materials. Next up is a state investigation of both the police chief and magistrate judge (who has a checkered career and lots of bad interactions with alcohol and motor vehicles)

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/17/11943920 ... eports-say
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

njbill

Post by njbill »

Putin invaded Hawaii? I am on vacation and not paying as much attention to the news as I usually do, but I would’ve thought I would’ve heard that.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:42 am Image
No one is stopping you, my man. Post their flag. Problem solved.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:11 pm
Oh I agree, It would have been nice to see our leader lead the way.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:14 pm
Ah, your complaint is about Biden. Trump was the same, if you'll recall.

They never do, my man. Remember "George Bush hates Black People" with Katrina? Meet the new boss....
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

My brother in law lives in Maui, and has for almost 40 years. He sends regular updates to my wife and sisters in law. He says the response from the feds has been basically spectacular. Leadership is more about doing things than it is about performance artistry. But go ahead, surf the algorithm.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:05 pm
My brother in law lives in Maui, and has for almost 40 years. He sends regular updates to my wife and sisters in law. He says the response from the feds has been basically spectacular. Leadership is more about doing things than it is about performance artistry. But go ahead, surf the algorithm.
Glad to hear this, and I quite agree. I saw Oprah speaking to locals and their request for help seemed as if they needed far more than what was being provided....down to her calling Hanes and them committing to send 2.5 million units, to supply undergarments for everyone.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”