York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: York 2024

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:54 pm
Low2high22 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:21 pm
Asgot wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:28 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:00 am Interesting to see this article. 22 D3 players from last season, will be playing D1 in 2024. But only 4 of those players are undergraduate. Mayer being one of them. And of the 4 undergrads, only Mayer is going to a top school that can compete in May. This brings the question(s). Is Mayer really that good? Will York struggle to replace the talent and production Mayer provided?

https://www.div3lax.com/aug-9_d3-transfers-to-d1.html
IMO, no and no. York will be fine and OSU has a lot of talent on their offense. It will be an interesting fall. I think that Bruun from Tufts will get a long look with OSU

I think yes and yes. Not to say York won’t eventually figure it out and be fine but I think it may take a little to replace there best player for two years. He is definitely good enough, kid was a stud and has D1 size.
I hope that Mayer plays and starts the next two years but my honest assessment is that he is a step slow, he tends to be a ball dominate player, while not great lax IQ, he also struggled against top defenders who he will see constantly. He could be a solid piece for OSU but there is a reason they are bringing in a bunch of offensive players this year. I have heard that there are other aspects of his game that may not be missed either.
I think this is a very accurate evaluation. Perhaps he can continue to develop his time and room shooting. But he isn’t going to be good enough to have the ball in his stick all the time at that level.

York will be fine long term, but they will need to come up with a solution to find point production while another player takes on opponents top defenders. He was on pace to be the programs all time leading scorer, there aren’t usually tons of guys like that sitting on the bench.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:09 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:00 am Interesting to see this article. 22 D3 players from last season, will be playing D1 in 2024. But only 4 of those players are undergraduate. Mayer being one of them. And of the 4 undergrads, only Mayer is going to a top school that can compete in May. This brings the question(s). Is Mayer really that good? Will York struggle to replace the talent and production Mayer provided?

IMO, no and no. York will be fine and OSU has a lot of talent on their offense. It will be an interesting fall. I think that Bruun from Tufts will get a long look with OSU

I think yes and yes. Not to say York won’t eventually figure it out and be fine but I think it may take a little to replace there best player for two years. He is definitely good enough, kid was a stud and has D1 size.
I hope that Mayer plays and starts the next two years but my honest assessment is that he is a step slow, he tends to be a ball dominate player, while not great lax IQ, he also struggled against top defenders who he will see constantly. He could be a solid piece for OSU but there is a reason they are bringing in a bunch of offensive players this year. I have heard that there are other aspects of his game that may not be missed either.
I think this is a very accurate evaluation. Perhaps he can continue to develop his time and room shooting. But he isn’t going to be good enough to have the ball in his stick all the time at that level.

York will be fine long term, but they will need to come up with a solution to find point production while another player takes on opponents top defenders. He was on pace to be the programs all time leading scorer, there aren’t usually tons of guys like that sitting on the bench.
If you look at point production / time on the field. I think there are 3 or 4 young players that could fill the void if they were on the field for 100% of the offensive plays.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:16 pm

If you look at point production / time on the field. I think there are 3 or 4 young players that could fill the void if they were on the field for 100% of the offensive plays.
When they are the focal point of every teams scouting report point production tends to change. I’d imagine the York coaches know their team very well. If those guys were good enough to produce that way and be on the field 100% of the time then they probably would’ve been.

Perhaps a new O coordinator can get the ball moving more and build on a more multifaceted offense.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:38 pm

When they are the focal point of every teams scouting report point production tends to change. I’d imagine the York coaches know their team very well. If those guys were good enough to produce that way and be on the field 100% of the time then they probably would’ve been.

Perhaps a new O coordinator can get the ball moving more and build on a more multifaceted offense.
Fall ball starts in a few weeks and I haven’t heard any news of an o coordinator yet.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:38 pm When they are the focal point of every teams scouting report point production tends to change. I’d imagine the York coaches know their team very well. If those guys were good enough to produce that way and be on the field 100% of the time then they probably would’ve been.

All true. But fact of the matter is, the other team’s best Dman has to cover someone. And that becomes his assignment, leaving everyone else regardless of who they’re on. Mayer is a great talent with size and skill, but for York, once he became the focal point of every team’s scouting report, the production vs TOP teams faded and the ball often died in his stick.

It’s not about whether the talent for a team offense was there, it’s there (and coming in more and more with each class). The reality is the “get the ball to Mayer and then watch him do his thing” was the adjustment for most of these players. I doubt it will be an adjustment to not do that.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:07 pm

Fall ball starts in a few weeks and I haven’t heard any news of an o coordinator yet.
From what I heard the OC is being finalized as we speak.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:21 am

Hoping it is an outsider. The offense needs to be shaken up. Either way, hope to see a different offense than the last two years. As regulator mentioned. The offense seemed to be focused on getting it to Mayer, or a lot of 1v1. The two teams in the finals last year moved the ball really well
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:58 am
Asgot wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:21 am

Hoping it is an outsider. The offense needs to be shaken up. Either way, hope to see a different offense than the last two years. As regulator mentioned. The offense seemed to be focused on getting it to Mayer, or a lot of 1v1. The two teams in the finals last year moved the ball really well
I am not sure that there is a person inside to choose from so I believe that they would have to go outside for this hire
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

York OC position filled by recent fifth year graduate Jacob Wilhelm. Great mind and teacher of the game. Another York alum making their way from roster to staff.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

School is starting for most next week. Any news on the transfer kids. Curious if any will continue playing lax. I saw Mayer is going to OSU

York coaching staff is complete.

What about returning players? Returning starters?

If most of the seniors return as stated earlier, York should have 8 returning starters. Not bad.

1 at attack
1 at O mid
2 at D mid
2 at long pole
1 goalie
1 fogo

With so many open spots to fill on offense, would anyone be surprised to see 23 running more offense?

I think I recall hearing about an offensive transfer from a mid level school. Maybe he could compete for time.
I expect 1-2 freshman to either start, or get lots of time.

Any rumors of schedule? I heard from a Dickinson dad that they won’t be scrimmaging York this fall
Lamaatemyhw

Post by Lamaatemyhw »

York is set for a playday on Oct 15th at the UnderArmour headquarters field in Baltimore against St. Mary’s and another team to be named later.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Lamaatemyhw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:36 pm York is set for a playday on Oct 15th at the UnderArmour headquarters field in Baltimore against St. Mary’s and another team to be named later.
I have heard that this is possible but has not been finalized
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Lamaatemyhw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:36 pm York is set for a playday on Oct 15th at the UnderArmour headquarters field in Baltimore against St. Mary’s and another team to be named later.
What happened to the Lynchburg/ Dickinson scrimmage. I thought that was turning into a tradition
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:14 pm
What happened to the Lynchburg/ Dickinson scrimmage. I thought that was turning into a tradition
Perhaps they’re playing one (or both) in the season. They didn’t start scrimmaging Lynchburg until they stopped playing them in the regular season.
Lamaatemyhw

Post by Lamaatemyhw »

Asgot wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:31 am
I guess it could be subject to change, but the date was communicated to the freshman parents along with the alumni game which was already been announced.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Lamaatemyhw wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:56 pm
Asgot wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:31 am
I guess it could be subject to change, but the date was communicated to the freshman parents along with the alumni game which was already been announced.
Ok, that’s cool was there a parent meeting on move in day? How did it go?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Any schedule updates? I think the full Mustang Classic roster and schedule should be out in a week or two. Will they make the return trip to Grove city and Denison?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

York Schedule is out. Open With RPI at home. Mustang Classic against St. Lawrence and Dickinson. Very solid schedule.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 am York Schedule is out. Open With RPI at home. Mustang Classic against St. Lawrence and Dickinson. Very solid schedule.
Where can you find this?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

York schedule

Fall Ball
Friday September 29th - Alumni Game 7:30 PM
Sunday October 15th - Fall Ball Scrimmage at Under Armour Global Headquarters Baltimore MD. York vs St.
Mary's 10AM York vs Catholic 12PM
Spring Schedule
1/27|2024 York @ Towson Scrimmage Time TBD
2/3|2024 York vs Harford CC Scrimmage Time
TBD
2/10/2024 York vs RPI 1:00
2/17|2024 York vs Washington & Lee 1:00
212412024 York @ Franklin and Marshall Time TBD
312/2024 York vs RIT 1:00
3/9|2024 York vs Salisbury 1:00
3/15/2024 York vs St. Lawrence TBD @ Mustang
Classic Owings Mills MD