user1020

Re: IWLCA Academic Honor Roll

Post by user1020 »

Bart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:29 am
njbill wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am
Bart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:27 am
user1020 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:02 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:31 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:15 pm That's a helluva thing to say, Mr. Elitist.
What majors meet your non smh list?
AWW lets her players take some meatier
courses and those at Northwestern and Cuse don't?
C'mon!!!
If you have ever been recruited by KAH, this comes up in first ten minutes of the first call. Any type of science, pre-business, math or engineering is not allowed. You are pushed into communications, sociology or Learning Org Change. Look at their entire roster. Find someone of it with a difficult major.

And if you don't think coaches approve the classes and majors that her players take, then you are new to big time athletics.
I hate that. I understand the importance of being committed to the team and I’m all for it, but not in this way. These young women are ultimately going to school for a degree for the rest of their lives. Yes they are lacrosse players, but at their death bed they will be known as lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. not lacrosse players. Their careers and life goals are way more important than 4 years of collegiate lacrosse. Very selfish and immature of any coach that makes recruits chose between a lacrosse and a major
Selfish? Immature? Why? If the coach is being upfront like other posters have indicated then IMO there is no issue. Suzie superstar has over 120 other schools to look into that meet her academic and athletic needs if this one does not.
I wouldn’t say selfish or immature, but it is wrong for college coaches to put the priority of their programs over the students’ academic demands. Wrong, though very common, unfortunately. Not all coaches act that way. Some, believe it or not, rearrange practices to accommodate players’ academic obligations.
Wrong? IDK NJB, I was speaking about KAH and the comment that she makes it clear early on in the recruiting what she expects from the academic side of things. I do not see that as wrong. It is part of the "contract" (for lack of a better word) a player commits to if she wants to play at Northwestern. I see it different than a "bait and switch" of academic priorities that I think you are alluding to.
Just because she’s open about it doesn’t mean it’s not wrong. Props to her for expressing her rules and being honest, but her goals for a lacrosse team are not more important than a future career and I stand by that firmly.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

njbill wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:09 am I didn’t say bait and switch. Not sure where you got that from my post. It may be true that she is upfront during the recruiting process about her demands. My point is that it is wrong for college coaches to prioritize their programs over students’ academic needs. The players miss enough class time as it is because of games and travel. She certainly isn’t the only one who operates her program this way, and I don’t mean to be singling her out. In fact, I blame the schools perhaps even more than the coaches. They shouldn’t permit their coaches to operate as they do. The women are going to college to get an education first. Sports should be second. Yes, I know, I am a dinosaur in this regard.
I am no dinosaur at all and I share this belief with you.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:09 am I didn’t say bait and switch. Not sure where you got that from my post. It may be true that she is upfront during the recruiting process about her demands. My point is that it is wrong for college coaches to prioritize their programs over students’ academic needs. The players miss enough class time as it is because of games and travel. She certainly isn’t the only one who operates her program this way, and I don’t mean to be singling her out. In fact, I blame the schools perhaps even more than the coaches. They shouldn’t permit their coaches to operate as they do. The women are going to college to get an education first. Sports should be second. Yes, I know, I am a dinosaur in this regard.
Bait and switch was my word, not yours. I own that one and apologize as my intention did not come across well. That is the scenario I think would be wrong, not being upfront with a recruit on a chosen major and then forcing them into a certain major once there.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Like you said, her employer is fine with her (or them) running the program that way then I see no issue if the coach is upfront with recruits. There are plenty of schools out there who do not operate in that manner. There are two more divisions of college athletic participation an athlete could choose from.........
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Bart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:29 am
njbill wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am
Bart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:27 am
user1020 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:02 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:31 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:15 pm That's a helluva thing to say, Mr. Elitist.
What majors meet your non smh list?
AWW lets her players take some meatier
courses and those at Northwestern and Cuse don't?
C'mon!!!
If you have ever been recruited by KAH, this comes up in first ten minutes of the first call. Any type of science, pre-business, math or engineering is not allowed. You are pushed into communications, sociology or Learning Org Change. Look at their entire roster. Find someone of it with a difficult major.

And if you don't think coaches approve the classes and majors that her players take, then you are new to big time athletics.
I hate that. I understand the importance of being committed to the team and I’m all for it, but not in this way. These young women are ultimately going to school for a degree for the rest of their lives. Yes they are lacrosse players, but at their death bed they will be known as lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. not lacrosse players. Their careers and life goals are way more important than 4 years of collegiate lacrosse. Very selfish and immature of any coach that makes recruits chose between a lacrosse and a major
Selfish? Immature? Why? If the coach is being upfront like other posters have indicated then IMO there is no issue. Suzie superstar has over 120 other schools to look into that meet her academic and athletic needs if this one does not.
I wouldn’t say selfish or immature, but it is wrong for college coaches to put the priority of their programs over the students’ academic demands. Wrong, though very common, unfortunately. Not all coaches act that way. Some, believe it or not, rearrange practices to accommodate players’ academic obligations.
Wrong? IDK NJB, I was speaking about KAH and the comment that she makes it clear early on in the recruiting what she expects from the academic side of things. I do not see that as wrong. It is part of the "contract" (for lack of a better word) a player commits to if she wants to play at Northwestern. I see it different than a "bait and switch" of academic priorities that I think you are alluding to.
Exactly. If a coach makes that expectation clear early on, and the player continues to pursue the opportunity to play for that coach and on that team, then how can the coach be blamed?

These are mature young women who are making their own choices for their lives.
Laxfan76

Post by Laxfan76 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:47 pm Those majors at Northwestern and Syracuse. smh

Probably the biggest sacrifice of playing big time lacrosse.

Credit to AWW for letting her players take some meatier classes.
In reviewing the list, not a lot of nuclear engineering or quantum physics at any of the top 5 programs (or any of the programs, candidly). Counted three physics on entire list. And across ACC and Big Ten, 1-2 engineering majors. Do you really think Communications, Journalism, Management and Executive Leadership majors at BC are substantively much different than any of the others, and a testament to AWW "letting her players take meatier classes"? C'mon.

As you probably know, some of this has to do with an inability to skip practice and attend e.g. conflicting labs which may only be held during that part of the day. Also, have you considered that maybe many girls at these top programs are content with the majors they have selected and don't see it as a "sacrifice" at all? They're doing well. I suspect most aspiring D1 girls would kill to be at one of the few schools that actually has an ability to win a national championship and all the while be recognized for her academic successes in the classroom even if it includes you shaking your head at them. Also, keep in mind that not everyone is looking to become a doctor, hedge fund manager or investment banker.

What a bizarre takeaway from that list.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”