Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by molo »

I guess nobody else caught the irony. There was at thread about whether lax is an aristocrat sport and we’re talking about Lville?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:14 pm I guess nobody else caught the irony. There was at thread about whether lax is an aristocrat sport and we’re talking about Lville?
And your point is …?

Lord DocBarrister, First Earl of FanLax 8-)
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:47 pm
molo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:14 pm I guess nobody else caught the irony. There was at thread about whether lax is an aristocrat sport and we’re talking about Lville?
And your point is …?

Lord DocBarrister, First Earl of FanLax 8-)
Prep school Association ??

Lawrenceville, Choate, Deerfield Academy, Hotchkiss School, Northfield Mount Hermon School, Phillips Academy Andover, Phillips Exeter, St. Paul's School Concord.

These schools have endowments larger than many (most?)
colleges / universities.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hearing about an interesting flip to the Jays in the 2024 class. Definition of a swiss army knife. Believe he’s another 4-star
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:42 am Hearing about an interesting flip to the Jays in the 2024 class. Definition of a swiss army knife. Believe he’s another 4-star
I don't know how these things work. Is PM THE recruiter who draws up a list of kids and then goes after them or does he defer to his assistants to build their sides of the field the way they want to and then he checks in once in awhile?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t know how it is structured. PM is known as a delegator. Regardless i assume they have needs rankings and position rankings lists. 16 knows i believe.

Regardless Hop gets players bcs of other sources as well. One of the best sophs this year is at Hopkins bcs of a former player who did the ground work. There are rostered players Hop was always going to get bcs of legacies just as at a number of other schools.

A school might have a primary list of 15 attackmen crossing off names as they commit. Some position lists will have more depth than others based on evaluations of eligibles

I would be interested in 16s narrative.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

There's no narrative. I would be skeptical of anyone who claims to know exactly how recruiting processes work on any staff unless they're in the room. What I do know is that most of the in-person evaluating at recruiting events is done by assistants, at Hopkins and everywhere else. Head coaches get out on the circuit a couple times a summer but definitely far less often than their assistants in almost every instance. How the staff then ranks kids they've evaluated, forms a plan, and chooses who to pursue and how to pursue them is anyone's guess. My assumption is the head coach is heavily involved in that second part.

This recent flip is from Long Island, so Crawley may have led the charge there. Who knows. Honestly...who cares?

Here was the 2023 retrospective from US Lax Mag that '06 has been anticipating so feverishly. Long story short: It was a good year and the Jays appear to be back on track. We didn't need Patrick Stevens to tell us that: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... rojections
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:29 pm There's no narrative. I would be skeptical of anyone who claims to know exactly how recruiting processes work on any staff unless they're in the room. What I do know is that most of the in-person evaluating at recruiting events is done by assistants, at Hopkins and everywhere else. Head coaches get out on the circuit a couple times a summer but definitely far less often than their assistants in almost every instance. How the staff then ranks kids they've evaluated, forms a plan, and chooses who to pursue and how to pursue them is anyone's guess. My assumption is the head coach is heavily involved in that second part.

This recent flip is from Long Island, so Crawley may have led the charge there. Who knows. Honestly...who cares?

Here was the 2023 retrospective from US Lax Mag that '06 has been anticipating so feverishly. Long story short: It was a good year and the Jays appear to be back on track. We didn't need Patrick Stevens to tell us that: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... rojections
Stevens could have easily left the lacrosse beat decades ago for better jobs in journalism and much better private sector jobs. Unlike IL his spelling and writing is above that of a 15 year old laxer.

"PM as a delegator" is a narrative put out by him and the school.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

'24 Liam Gregorek, 4-star middie from Shoreham Wading River, flips to the Jays from Navy. Both of his older brothers are Midshipmen.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
https://nlfrankings.com/player/liam-gregorek/

The 2024 class is real interesting. Filled with major athletes in Gregorek, Eye, Crogan, McCleary, Pace, Surin, Lumpris (if he doesn't play D1 football), etc etc. Good balance to the 2023 class which I think is probably a bit more skill than pure athleticism.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

24 All-Star Game, he showed his talent as an initiator and distributor from behind. A slick player with all the required athleticism, he'll be an asset to any team at the next level.
Looking like an IL top 100 for 2024 - a 90 rating at one of their covered tournaments.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Sounds like an even trade for Ben Morris, the 4* 2024 LI A who was our only A in that class until he flipped to Navy.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BCs Adanacs (Phillips, Charboneau) make the Minto Cup tournament, yet again.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

no resolution on the rest of the roster yet? Don't kiddos have to sign leases, sign up for classes, and make tuition payments?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Another real solid game, this is turning into one intense finals - Marquis almost gets them even, good game from Marquis - but the player of the playoffs has been the (last year) injured attackman from Princeton.

Ontario finals tied at 2-2.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:14 pm Another real solid game, this is turning into one intense finals - Marquis almost gets them even, good game from Marquis - but the player of the playoffs has been the (last year) injured attackman from Princeton.

Ontario finals tied at 2-2.
Where do you see Marquis fitting in on JHU's offense next year, based on his skill set?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Marquis,
fit him into that crowded midfield line mix - 2nd line,
he’s solid and tough on ground-balls, he could be an asset as a wing on face offs,
quick shot and solid placement, so test him out on man up.

Marquis doubled his point production this year over last in the Ontario league - he must have taken the end of year improvement challenges from the Hopkins coaches seriously - he’s making a real case for more playing time next year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Box and field are different and success in one does not always translate to the other but given how good Marquis has looked this summer it'd be a failure of imagination if they're not able to find a role for him. I think they will.

In other news, Hawley is not returning. Team posted on social media today. With Narewski, Mazzone, and Hawley all gone, faceoffs are the #1 "question mark" headed into 2024. We still have two >50% capable FOGOs but wing play will have to step up. Aviles could help.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:13 am Marquis,
he’s solid and tough on ground-balls, he could be an asset as a wing on face offs,

Marquis doubled his point production this year over last in the Ontario league - he must have taken the end of year improvement challenges from the Hopkins coaches seriously - he’s making a real case for more playing time next year.
That Canadian box league has really small goals and heavily padded goalies. Not a lot of room to shoot at on goal. Tons of blocks and saves.
If you can score consistently in that league, you have to be a very precise shooter. If he drew a shortie at midfield in the college game, you'd have to think he could score on the 6x6.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:10 am
10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:13 am Marquis,

That Canadian box league has really small goals and heavily padded goalies. Not a lot of room to shoot at on goal. Tons of blocks and saves.
If you can score consistently in that league, you have to be a very precise shooter. If he drew a shortie at midfield in the college game, you'd have to think he could score on the 6x6.
Totally. I don't think it's just the goal size though. I've seen a bunch of box players that had great hands and could shoot the ball really well in tight windows. Put them in the field game and they couldn't adjust to the spacing, pace, accuracy from distance, need for the threat of the off hand, and deeper gas tank required. Ended up using them in man-up mostly (as previously mentioned), or limited crease attackman roles. Not saying that's the case with Marquis at all, but like HopFan16 mentioned, it doesn't always translate.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

I think we see Marquis on EMO. That plays to his game (field game, dating back to HS): great stick, great vision. good feeder, good finisher. Will be hard to get reps at A. Maybe he comes out of the box for some runs, but that is very different than how he was used in HS (QB role). In '25 there will definitely be more opportunities.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”