THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by jhu06 »

DougELax wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 pm
DMac wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:37 pm So essentially you've got about 120 or so pages of BS when it comes to recruiting the wrong kids, players who just aren't good enough, lousy and too comlplicated defensive schemes, and, and, and.
Mighty good looking team that played one heck of a game. Those are very good lacrosse players at Hopkins.
To be fair some of those pages are complaining that the coaching staff isn't using the players they have properly.
If they'd played at this level all year they'd be 12-3 or so if not better and we'd be debating ff stuff. the pages of frustration were warranted considering they' weren't in a single ncaa bracket until this week and for good until this afternoon.

I was shredded for the marr penalty comments in the preseason but those penalties put penn state back in the game. he and jones-both sr veterans led the team in penalties. more is expected from any sr, but particularly the son of an elite coach who grew up around the game and had one of the best lacrosse educations of any of his peers. Hopkins beat penn state everywhere tonight but in net and on the scoreboard. emo, faceoffs, everything was better.

the focus is the game tonight but a lot of guys have made incredible progress these last few weeks that will serve this program for years to come and I'm thinking particularly about the first midfield unit principally and young mr zinn to name a few. forry, connor and evan have all played their best lacrosse of the season of late. had they won or lost the game in regulation or won the game outright we'd be talking about zinns turnover then his gb. remarkable toughness from a freshman.
molo

Post by molo »

Part of coaching is making adjustments. The team that beat Maryland twice in a week is not the same as the one that Penn State drubbed two weeks ago. It always helps to have a few helpful recommendations, of course.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

An instant classic. The freshmen M. Narewski, Zinn and Epstein would not let Hopkins lose in regulation. That last 90 seconds was incredible.

Tough to lose in OT, but if there are moral victories, this was one. To take the #1 team to the limit says a lot about the growth of this team.

Epstein put the team on his back down the stretch. 7g, 2a was a first team All American performance.

Unfortunately, when your goalie gives up 18 goals with only six saves vs. the PSU GK’s 13 saves, including the game saver on Hubler, it is hard to prevail.

Have to love the fighting spirit of this squad which reflects well on Petro.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Single digit saves are driving me nuts.

Oh well, conjugal visits for state pen.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

This is a game i will remember for the rest of my life. Right up there with the 2017 Charles Street Game.
Kudos for such a wonderful game between the two schools. Epstein put the team on his back with his stat line. I really thought going into the half that hopkins could pull it off. To go neck and neck with the best team in the land should wake up EVERYBODY in the tournament that this hopkins team can fight, they can scrap, and they can play with ANYBODY in the country.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
molo

Post by molo »

No conjugal visits in Maryland prisons.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Shoutout Evan Zinn for blowing by defenders at least twice with one huge rocket of a goal.

With the way how this team is playing, no way in hell do i want loyola to face you guys at Ridley (or Homewood) for that matter.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:01 pm An instant classic. The freshmen M. Narewski, Zinn and Epstein would not let Hopkins lose in regulation. That last 90 seconds was incredible.

Tough to lose in OT, but if there are moral victories, this was one. To take the #1 team to the limit says a lot about the growth of this team.

Epstein put the team on his back down the stretch. 7g, 1a was a first team All American performance.

Unfortunately, when your goalie gives up 18 goals with only six saves vs. the PSU GK’s 13 saves, including the game saver on Hubler, it is hard to prevail.

Have to love the fighting spirit of this squad which reflects well on Petro.
The D must be communicating better because of Darby. If he can just make a few more stops, this Hopkins team could be really hard to stop.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

- Marr's penalties were the difference. You can't have an attackman take two penalties, especially against a team like Penn State.
- Hubler was an inch away from winning this one in regulation. Shades of Tinney's shot on Bernlohr in the 2015 NCAA semis. Close, but no cigar.
- Zinn's GB at the end there was ridiculous. He is a special talent. Yes, he's still making some freshman mistakes. Mistakes he might not be making now had he gotten more playing time earlier in the season. But I guess coach always knows best, right?
- Nothing else left to say about Epstein at this point. He's the best freshman player in the history of Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse. Just have to hope he stays healthy and keeps pace in the classroom.
- I am not going to blame this on Darby—especially since he made that great save at the end of regulation which would have been a horrible way to lose the game. BUT, the stats say only 6 saves on 18 goals allowed (25%). You know you're going to face a shooting barrage against PSU. You've got to steal one of those O'Keefe outside bombs.
- DeSimone still can't beat anyone but I thought he played well. Made the right play each time, 0 turnovers which is not nothing considering how much he carried the ball tonight.
- The shorties tonight got absolutely worked, including everyone's new favorite player in Coulter. Slides were not as crisp in support as they were against Maryland on Thursday.
- Not sticking with Narewski to start the second half was a mistake, IMO.
- Epstein should have won tournament MVP even though we lost. He had 14 pts to O'Keefe's 12. I'm sure he'll win his share of trophies over the next few years though.

The Jays proved they belonged tonight. It's been a long season. But there is hope.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

houndace1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:07 pm Shoutout Evan Zinn for blowing by defenders at least twice with one huge rocket of a goal.

With the way how this team is playing, no way in hell do i want loyola to face you guys at Ridley (or Homewood) for that matter.
+1. Evan Zinn had a good game. Good player with a lot of lacrosse left in his career.
“I wish you would!”
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

That was a great game. An instant classic. Epstein was unstoppable. Hitting the pipe with less than ten (or 15 or 20 or 25, depending on whether or not the official time keeper was awake) seconds left in the 4th. Quarter, was as exciting as any sport gets.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Epstein shot 7 for 11. 63.64% shooting percentage is insane. And Sabia was guarding him much of the time. This will go down as one of the greatest Hopkins offensive performances of all time, particularly given the magnitude of the game.

I have to keep reminding myself that Joey is a freshmen.

Plus, Zinn gave a strong sample of what he is capable of, blowing by his defender on his goal, a remarkable GB off the wing and feed to Epstein to tie the game.

Both freshmen are capable of taking Hopkins to the greatest heights in lacrosse during their careers. The present and future is bright for Jays’ fans.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I, and it sounds collectively, we, have never felt so good about a loss.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:24 pm I, and it sounds collectively, we, have never felt so good about a loss.
There are no moral victories in lacrosse, but it's hard not to feel anything but pride. They came up one play short against what is by every measure the best team in the country. And they could (should?) have won. All you can really ask of these kids is that they play hard and represent the the name on their uniforms well. And they did that.

Having said that...let's win some tournament games.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:50 pm Yet, not quite a "lock". 87.07% for an At-Large.
Just went down to 68.83.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:20 pm Epstein shot 7 for 11. 63.64% shooting percentage is insane. And Sabia was guarding him much of the time. This will go down as one of the greatest Hopkins offensive performances of all time, particularly given the magnitude of the game.

I have to keep reminding myself that Joey is a freshmen.

Plus, Zinn gave a strong sample of what he is capable of, blowing by his defender on his goal, a remarkable GB off the wing and feed to Epstein to tie the game.

Both freshmen are capable of taking Hopkins to the greatest heights in lacrosse during their careers. The present and future is bright for Jays’ fans.
Zinn's ability to distribute the ball is something I thought he would excel at initially...... Underrated part of his game. This was a learning year for him.
“I wish you would!”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Edited Wombat's (post above). "I don’t know his mom" communicates his point without having to walk the tightrope of inappropriate.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

admin wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 pm Edited Wombat's (post above). "I don’t know his mom" communicates his point without having to walk the tightrope of inappropriate.
Where have you been for the past two weeks?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

admin wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 pm Edited Wombat's (post above). "I don’t know his mom" communicates his point without having to walk the tightrope of inappropriate.
just post one of those R rating warnings before every wombat post and let him enjoy his 1st ammendment rights. fair compromise-you were warned if you read on.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”