W&L 2023 Recruits

D3 Mens Lacrosse
W&Lacrosse75

Re: W&L 2023 Recruits

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Avery Richardson has just committed. That makes 9 so far. Don’t know much about him. Does anyone else?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:14 pm Avery Richardson has just committed. That makes 9 so far. Don’t know much about him. Does anyone else?
Richardson looks like a smaller AJ Witherell, a finisher who is primarily lefty. He's a shorter attackman, but seems to be always looking for an opening to create havic around the crease.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Thanks for the update VALAXFAN. Could be a compliment for the skills of players already in place.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I wouldn’t be tossing AJ comparisons around too easily. It took W&L 20 years to find him after Dugan. Last several years talent level has really risen. This group could be very strong as well. Both fogo’s look to be the real deal especially Spano
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I was looking back over the last few years and I believe that one other player might have finished in the Dugan/Witherell category if he had not had two devastating, career ending injuries. That player was Garrett Mize. He reminds me a little of Hillis Burns., so I was relieved when he recovered quickly from a couple of injuries.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Good call Mize was a helluva player loved his game. Injury bug really hurt his career and the team.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Dugan, Mize, Burns, and Witherell are the caliber players W&L needs more of to win it all. Easier said than done. As for defenders, we have had several that fit that caliber, such as Joe La Sala, Harris Hubbard, and John Broderick. As far as goalies, there have been a lot of good ones but it is impossible to know if they were “great” without special players in front of them. In other words, we don’t know if there have been any Skeet Chadwicks or even Charlie Browns that have graced the cage since the D1 days. We can only hope that the better recruiting recently will result in a steady upward trajectory that puts the program into the final 4 conversation with regularity.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:01 am I wouldn’t be tossing AJ comparisons around too easily. It took W&L 20 years to find him after Dugan. Last several years talent level has really risen. This group could be very strong as well. Both fogo’s look to be the real deal especially Spano
Dehunt, did you see AJ videos at age 16/17. I did, and as a left hand finisher, he reminds me of AJ at that age only. You never know.

valaxfan
Last edited by valaxfan on Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:03 pm Dugan, Mize, Burns, and Witherell are the caliber players W&L needs more of to win it all. Easier said than done. As for defenders, we have had several that fit that caliber, such as Joe La Sala, Harris Hubbard, and John Broderick. As far as goalies, there have been a lot of good ones but it is impossible to know if they were “great” without special players in front of them. In other words, we don’t know if there have been any Skeet Chadwicks or even Charlie Browns that have graced the cage since the D1 days. We can only hope that the better recruiting recently will result in a steady upward trajectory that puts the program into the final 4 conversation with regularity.
Well said. Agree 110%. We can also only hope they have the grades and SATs too.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

valaxfan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:21 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:01 am I wouldn’t be tossing AJ comparisons around too easily. It took W&L 20 years to find him after Dugan. Last several years talent level has really risen. This group could be very strong as well. Both fogo’s look to be the real deal especially Spano
Dehunt, did you see AJ videos at age 16/17. I did, and as a left hand finisher, he reminds me of AJ at that age only. You never know.

valaxfan

Here are some videos to check out:

AJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-WTpEZ ... roductions
AR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN4GrTU ... Richardson

NOTE: AJ may be a year older in the videos.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Too bad we couldn’t have both of them at the same time.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Watched clips of AR as a jr, nice game. At 5’8” and 150 lbs can we send him some Omaha Steaks or is that an NCAA violation.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I’d chip in for some Omaha Steaks.

But, if we think he is small, take a look at Declan Folliard from Chaminade. 5 foot 5 and 135 pounds. And the there is Gilbert Cooper from St. Christopher’s….5 feet 3 and 110 pounds.
Maybe getting lost in game chaos is their secret weapon. I know that in a high school football game, we were playing Georgetown Prep and they had a very small RB who ran behind several linemen with were the sons of former Washington Redskins. We could never find him until he spiked the ball in the end zone.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Not sure if this means much, but Middlebury and Amherst have 7 three stars, W&L 5 three stars, Tufts 5 three stars, Salisbury 1 three star, Lynchburg 1 three star, and Roanoke and Hamden Sydney 0 three stars for 2024.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:06 pm Not sure if this means much, but Middlebury and Amherst have 7 three stars, W&L 5 three stars, Tufts 5 three stars, Salisbury 1 three star, Lynchburg 1 three star, and Roanoke and Hamden Sydney 0 three stars for 2024.
It means literally nothing. The guys from IL go in after the fact and add them. It’s not indicative of a thorough evaluation
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:36 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:06 pm Not sure if this means much, but Middlebury and Amherst have 7 three stars, W&L 5 three stars, Tufts 5 three stars, Salisbury 1 three star, Lynchburg 1 three star, and Roanoke and Hamden Sydney 0 three stars for 2024.
It means literally nothing. The guys from IL go in after the fact and add them. It’s not indicative of a thorough evaluation
This is correct. It's amusing (depressing?) to watch stars pop up for kids from "name" clubs immediately after committing to a top DIII program ... and then to watch the zero-star players in the same class get more run once on campus. I wish IL would stop this foolishness.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Don't want to steal the thread no other place to put this...kind of bored in mId August... but what's up with this?

https://nsjonline.com/article/2023/07/h ... eda-horse/
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxdds wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:05 am Don't want to steal the thread no other place to put this...kind of bored in mId August... but what's up with this?

https://nsjonline.com/article/2023/07/h ... eda-horse/
It seems dumb to remove the horses name. Dumb to care that it’s gone. It’s a horse.

As for the article. As I understand it President Dudley has spent the last 8 months in Massachusetts by his adult child’s bedside who is fighting a very hard medical battle right now. When he is working I seriously doubt horse plaques are the matter that he’s tending to.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

From July press release:

“Traveller’s remains, at the location next to University Chapel, are untouched and a new marker to memorialize him has been installed at the same location. The other related plaques and interpretive signage at the site will also be updated.”
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

GeneralBart wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:02 am From July press release:

“Traveller’s remains, at the location next to University Chapel, are untouched and a new marker to memorialize him has been installed at the same location. The other related plaques and interpretive signage at the site will also be updated.”
Very good, I know we live in unusual times but worrying about a horse seemed a little over the top. The article I linked should have mentioned that.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”