Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

blue angels wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 am
blue angels wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:57 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:08 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm
So, when someone says they are a "preferred walk-on" it means the coach has a specific invite to the player to come to tryouts with an assumed roster spot should they get admitted without support. My son was offered that at one prominent Ivy. He went to another that assured him an admissions slot, and which had been his #1 anyway for two years, but it was interesting to hear that from the coach...the coach saying "preferred walk-on" felt he had enough goalies on the roster and would skip in his class, but would have been happy to have him. As it turned out later my son was better than any he had on his roster, but that's a judgment call made based on what he knew at the time and fair enough. I liked the transparency.

If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Was he better than any other goalie on this “prominent ivy’s” roster? Your son only started for one year and the team went 6-6 and didn’t make the Ivy League tournament. I’m guessing that the prominent Ivy made the tournament that year. Let’s not pretend like he had a Jack Kelly like career.
Yes, that was a better team, though they did lose to my son’s team that year. And of course he didn’t have a jack Kelly career, who did? Just saying that none of his tenders had a better saves %, that year or any of those 4 years. Point was only that it is a call the coach made and he made a heck of a lot of good recruiting decisions and it may well have been the right one for his team… certainly can’t argue with the results.

Just an example of how a “preferred walk-on” works.

Btw, the 2 times he matched vs Kelly he was 54.8% to Kelly’s 50% and 63.3% to 52.8%. And those were some super Brown teams. I’m a big fan of Kelly’s game. Love his outlets.

I’d never claim my son was better than Kelly!
Just a suggestion, but it isn’t a great look to constantly talk about your own family members exploits as great as they might be.
hmmm, just responding to an insult. The point is just that a preferred walk-on process can be a way for a coach to get a kid he'd like to have, but without using a slot, which is a limited resource. But it doesn't help with admissions. The coach made a perfectly valid recruiting choice to prioritize another position. Very successful coach!

But hey, if I want to talk about a family member's "exploits" that were "great" it'd be my UVA 3X AA, NC father... ;)
And you certainly have more than once in the past because we all know it. It's a message board, do what you want. just don't want you to be thought a bore but maybe you don't care.
Even if what you say is accurate would you take a shot at someone else kid? I mean if that became standard we’d be in trouble…

And this is coming from a habitual line stepper (me)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

blue angels wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 am
blue angels wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:57 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:08 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm
So, when someone says they are a "preferred walk-on" it means the coach has a specific invite to the player to come to tryouts with an assumed roster spot should they get admitted without support. My son was offered that at one prominent Ivy. He went to another that assured him an admissions slot, and which had been his #1 anyway for two years, but it was interesting to hear that from the coach...the coach saying "preferred walk-on" felt he had enough goalies on the roster and would skip in his class, but would have been happy to have him. As it turned out later my son was better than any he had on his roster, but that's a judgment call made based on what he knew at the time and fair enough. I liked the transparency.

If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Was he better than any other goalie on this “prominent ivy’s” roster? Your son only started for one year and the team went 6-6 and didn’t make the Ivy League tournament. I’m guessing that the prominent Ivy made the tournament that year. Let’s not pretend like he had a Jack Kelly like career.
Yes, that was a better team, though they did lose to my son’s team that year. And of course he didn’t have a jack Kelly career, who did? Just saying that none of his tenders had a better saves %, that year or any of those 4 years. Point was only that it is a call the coach made and he made a heck of a lot of good recruiting decisions and it may well have been the right one for his team… certainly can’t argue with the results.

Just an example of how a “preferred walk-on” works.

Btw, the 2 times he matched vs Kelly he was 54.8% to Kelly’s 50% and 63.3% to 52.8%. And those were some super Brown teams. I’m a big fan of Kelly’s game. Love his outlets.

I’d never claim my son was better than Kelly!
Just a suggestion, but it isn’t a great look to constantly talk about your own family members exploits as great as they might be.
hmmm, just responding to an insult. The point is just that a preferred walk-on process can be a way for a coach to get a kid he'd like to have, but without using a slot, which is a limited resource. But it doesn't help with admissions. The coach made a perfectly valid recruiting choice to prioritize another position. Very successful coach!

But hey, if I want to talk about a family member's "exploits" that were "great" it'd be my UVA 3X AA, NC father... ;)
And you certainly have more than once in the past because we all know it. It's a message board, do what you want. just don't want you to be thought a bore but maybe you don't care.
:D I'd rather not be thought a bore as well, thx for advice.
I'm a heck of a lot more open on here about identity, don't really care if I'm not anonymous.
I think some folks hide behind anonymity so they can be jerks...I don't want anyone to think negatively of me, but if anyone thinks that, so be it.

Family experiences and my own are only relevant as to perspective, experiences, insights, maybe some credibility,... not anything else...stories can be fun, can be informative...at least that's my hope. My mention of UVA above was for you... ;)

On the above, I just meant that a coach makes a recruiting call, might be right, might not, but it's a tool they use to manage their roster...and I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't think the coach is an excellent judge of what's best for his team...proof is in the pudding. I didn't appreciate the negative response, so if I was prickly, forgive me, please.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:59 pm as it was explained to me by a coach -
A "preferred" walk on is promised a roster spot freshman year if he gains admissions on his own while a true walk on is given a tryout to make the team with no promises of a roster spot. The other walk ons would be out of necessity and raiding the club team, usually a goalie.
exactly...and with way fewer words used than my post... ;)
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:33 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm Thanks for the update.

I guess no updates on Vardaro or Blanchard.

DocBarrister
Vardaro has been rumored to Georgetown for months but I haven't seen anything official.

Incoming transfers by school (so far):

11: Rutgers
9: Jacksonville
8: Ohio State, Syracuse
5: Michigan
4: Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Duke, Monmouth, Notre Dame, St. John's, Virginia
3: BU, Penn State, St. Joe's, UNC
Looks like Rutgers has added another transfer. Towson Attackman?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Asgot wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 pm

DocBarrister
Vardaro has been rumored to Georgetown for months but I haven't seen anything official.

Hoping it ends up being larger than the incoming class of FR. That would be the best!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:38 pm

DocBarrister

Hoping it ends up being larger than the incoming class of FR. That would be the best!
My count is now 13 transfers and 12 incoming freshmen
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:10 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:38 pm

DocBarrister

My count is now 13 transfers and 12 incoming freshmen
Excellent!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

DocBarrister

Looks like Rutgers has added another transfer.Towson Attackman?

Played HS ball with Knobloch and went 5-4 for Australia this summer.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

mdk01 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:39 pm

DocBarrister

Looks like Rutgers has added another transfer.Towson Attackman?

Played HS ball with Knobloch and went 5-4 for Australia this summer.
Jersey kid - happy all?! Brecht bringing in NJ talent - :D :D :D :D :D
westlax

Post by westlax »

If you are a high school kid getting a call from Jacksonville, Rutgers or any one of the schools who takes 9-12 grad transfers, I’ve got to think you don’t seriously consider those schools. It’s obvious why the schools do it, but I’ve got to believe it makes it harder from them to recruit high school players.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

westlax wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:49 am If you are a high school kid getting a call from Jacksonville, Rutgers or any one of the schools who takes 9-12 grad transfers, I’ve got to think you don’t seriously consider those schools. It’s obvious why the schools do it, but I’ve got to believe it makes it harder from them to recruit high school players.
I dunno about "consider" as it probably matters what one's other options may be, but it certainly makes sense that a HS kid getting that call should be considering whether and when they'll get their shot on the field, and whether whatever initial monetary support they receive will be maintained.

Same questions any recruit should be asking themselves for any school (absent the monetary part for the Ivies, academies, etc), but those high transfer rates certainly complicate the question! (EDIT: there are more important questions, IMO, about where to go to college, but if weighing the lax experience in the equation, PT is certainly a major factor).

But kids all the time take the opportunity to go to a particular school regardless of how many recruits are brought in each year. Whether it's because of their confidence in their own abilities to stand out or because they just want to get into the program/school regardless of being a bench warmer, they do so. Classes of 16-18 recruits...obviously very few of whom will ever see a lot of action...

I do think the transfer thing adds another dimension, though.
And 20-25 new players in a single year, half being already proven players?
Yikes...certainly feels unsustainable without HS recruiting fallout in quality.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

westlax wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:49 am If you are a high school kid getting a call from Jacksonville, Rutgers or any one of the schools who takes 9-12 grad transfers, I’ve got to think you don’t seriously consider those schools. It’s obvious why the schools do it, but I’ve got to believe it makes it harder from them to recruit high school players.
I know of 1 rising college sophomore at one of the "transfer U's" that is using fall ball at his school to see if he sticks around. Was a HS AA in a competitive region and well sought after during the recruiting process. If he feels like he's not getting a fair shot, he has plenty of options with potentially 3 years of eligibility left.
henryben

Post by henryben »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:08 am
I dunno about "consider" as it probably matters what one's other options may be, but it certainly makes sense that a HS kid getting that call should be considering whether and when they'll get their shot on the field, and whether whatever initial monetary support they receive will be maintained.

Same questions any recruit should be asking themselves for any school (absent the monetary part for the Ivies, academies, etc), but those high transfer rates certainly complicate the question! (EDIT: there are more important questions, IMO, about where to go to college, but if weighing the lax experience in the equation, PT is certainly a major factor).

But kids all the time take the opportunity to go to a particular school regardless of how many recruits are brought in each year. Whether it's because of their confidence in their own abilities to stand out or because they just want to get into the program/school regardless of being a bench warmer, they do so. Classes of 16-18 recruits...obviously very few of whom will ever see a lot of action...

I do think the transfer thing adds another dimension, though.
And 20-25 new players in a single year, half being already proven players?
Yikes...certainly feels unsustainable without HS recruiting fallout in quality.
Doesn't most of this transfer stuff end after next year once all the Covid stuff goes away?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Boy, sure hope so, but we’re seeing an increase in undergraduate transfers as well.

No longer unusual and with the notion now that recruiting of top players from lower ranked schools by higher ranked is fair game, we may see more.

And players frustrated by not getting a shot right away seem increasingly willing to jump laterally or even down as well.

So, I don’t know… but if it isn’t an ongoing strategy the challenge will be that the schools that loaded heavily several years in a row will have few players left with multiple years of playing experience.
henryben

Post by henryben »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:52 pm Boy, sure hope so, but we’re seeing an increase in undergraduate transfers as well.

No longer unusual and with the notion now that recruiting of top players from lower ranked schools by higher ranked is fair game, we may see more.

And players frustrated by not getting a shot right away seem increasingly willing to jump laterally or even down as well.

So, I don’t know… but if it isn’t an ongoing strategy the challenge will be that the schools that loaded heavily several years in a row will have few players left with multiple years of playing experience.
I see some of these kids transfer out of excellent academic schools to programs at other schools, and I ask myself, is it really worth it? Will they look back and regret it?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Who is the Towson Attackman transferring to Rutgers ?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Connor McDonough — has barely seen the field.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

henryben wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:52 pm Boy, sure hope so, but we’re seeing an increase in undergraduate transfers as well.

I see some of these kids transfer out of excellent academic schools to programs at other schools, and I ask myself, is it really worth it? Will they look back and regret it?
Ever meet a mortgage backed sales guy at RBS Greenwich Cap, Bear or Lehman in the 90s or 2000s? That’s where those guys who don’t do coaching and camp living go. Sales and trading type relationship and biz dev roles. See Collin Finnerty, who now works for a buddy of mine va what Reade Seligmann is doing now.

(Understand why the left Duke but comparing where they went afterwards)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

blue angels

Post by blue angels »

It isn't a one size fits all reason so impossible to generalize....... Some kids leave for a more appropriate academic fit or cost. Some for a better lax fit and some leave because it isn't their choice and numerous other reasons.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

blue angels wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:44 am

It isn't a one size fits all reason so impossible to generalize....... Some kids leave for a more appropriate academic fit or cost. Some for a better lax fit and some leave because it isn't their choice and numerous other reasons.
Think he was assuming lax was the driver in which case that’s a tough decision to make. Conversely there was a talented kid named Brendan Saylor, got recruited in front of him at UMD and was from the Roch area so transferred to Bart for his last two years. Not a value trade on education other than large state school to small liberal arts education and different campuses. That made some sense outside of cost differential but Bart is good on need based aid generally.

Conversely going from a Duke to Jax or something like that would be a shaky decision if coming from a Long Island or CNY kid.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”