Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:25 pm Credit to me, I said last year the team would go as far as the jr offensive players would take them and they weren't memorial day good enough.
Just because you say something umpteen times it doesn't make it any more accurate

Can someone help me out here - he was agreat player and the 2014 and 2015 teams would not have been the same without him but isn't the myth of Ryan Brown (at Hopkins at least I know he was a force on USA and pro teams) a little exaggerated? 159 goals on 457 shots is 32.5% That's pretty good - especially from his range - it's not off the planet. By comparison O'Keefe was exactly 40% 221 goals on 500+ shots.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:29 am
jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:25 pm Credit to me, I said last year the team would go as far as the jr offensive players would take them and they weren't memorial day good enough.
Just because you say something umpteen times it doesn't make it any more accurate

Can someone help me out here - he was agreat player and the 2014 and 2015 teams would not have been the same without him but isn't the myth of Ryan Brown (at Hopkins at least I know he was a force on USA and pro teams) a little exaggerated? 159 goals on 457 shots is 32.5% That's pretty good - especially from his range - it's not off the planet. By comparison O'Keefe was exactly 40% 221 goals on 500+ shots.
I don't know but Brown had some 8 goal games. That's no myth to me.
I think the comparison to Brown is primarily to be relevant to Hopkins fans on this forum.
Hunter Chauvette may not be Ryan Brown or Mac OKeefe, but I do think he's someone who could make an impact next year if used correctly.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Brown is the classic really good player on teams that never won anything guy. In pro sports he's the player who over 10 years, was a captain who made 2-3 all star teams, was never a serious Hall of Famer and never took a team beyond a conference semi finals or maybe at best a conference finals once. These longer schedules now with the added big ten conference tournament are going to distort a lot of hopkins record book stats.

Question for PM is if these hotshot kids come in and can play how does he work that against the veterans ahead of them. Petro would've stuck with his veterans until early April after the gauntlet.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 am
coda wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:47 am
Agree. He is not Brown, but who is? Brown could do it with both hands and levels (overhand, sidearm, and underhand). Used Brown since this is a Hopkins thread. Mac O'keefe is probably better. Both with that underhand lefty shot. Either way the release is ridiculous.
Like Chauvette (ranked #21), Brown was also ranked in the 20s coming out of HS by IL, which is to say that their rankings have huge error bars and have to be taken with a grain of salt. Tucker Durkin was also ranked in the 20's.

Like Brown, Chauvette is clearly one of the players who could outperform his ranking. It all depends what he does over the next 4 years, but it's hard not to like his game right now. He impresses me as someone who needs to see the field next year in some capacity and not just on EMO.
Players that can actually bury the rock are invaluable.
I have zero insight into Chauvette, other than what folks are talking about on here and the videos shared, but Brown I had some insight into in HS. He transferred into Calvert Hall (I assume for greater exposure) and in senior year was on a line with Patrick Kelly (who ended the season ranked by some as the top attack man in MD that year) and Carter Brown who did quite well at Ohio State. Patrick carried the ball the most, but as you can see from this highlight reel of Brown, he was much more than a catch and shoot guy by his senior year...he could take on pretty much anyone and create his own...but he wasn't the designated QB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PqFiFEI4Y0

I knew he was going to be special the prior summer when he and my son were selected for a state all star team for a national tournament held in MD. Selection was based on tryouts not prior season. Ryan was the best player on the field in each game and I saw him do some rather extraordinary things. Down a goal in less than 30 seconds left, the opponent's defense threw a long clearing pass to break the ride, my son came out of the goal and contested the attack man, knocking him off the ball and, coming up with it, sprinted up field to see Ryan sprinting towards him...whipped the pass, Ryan took it in stride from midfield through all defenders to the mouth of the goal and stuffed it in beating the horn. FO and to Ryan for the score and win. Tremendous physical and lax IQ effort. Will to win.

My son had played club ball for 4 years with Pat Kelly so I'd seen him make numerous plays including game winners, an uncanny nose for making the shot, slippery and smart, but I hadn't seen that level of physicality. It looked to me then like Brown was a good bet to get bigger and faster from there, critical at the college level...which as we know he did and then on into the pros. But Pat continued to be the primary ball carrier and top point getter for the Hall that next spring, so hard for the IL raters to have both guys be top 10...

I'd also watched Ryan work on his shot and in the tryouts and practice sessions...my son, a tender, said that by far Ryan's overhand shot was the most difficult to stop of any of the players he faced as it was so difficult to read the release point. It all looked the same...

Chauvette looks like he has some of those excellent moves to create space for a shot and a fast release that makes it really hard for a goalie to read and catch up to. I don't know if he has or will develop the physicality, but Ryan's progression was pretty exceptional, so that would be a tough bet to match.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:57 am
Agree. He is not Brown, but who is? Brown could do it with both hands and levels (overhand, sidearm, and underhand). Used Brown since this is a Hopkins thread. Mac O'keefe is probably better. Both with that underhand lefty shot. Either way the release is ridiculous.
Like Chauvette (ranked #21), Brown was also ranked in the 20s coming out of HS by IL, which is to say that their rankings have huge error bars and have to be taken with a grain of salt. Tucker Durkin was also ranked in the 20's.

Like Brown, Chauvette is clearly one of the players who could outperform his ranking. It all depends what he does over the next 4 years, but it's hard not to like his game right now. He impresses me as someone who needs to see the field next year in some capacity and not just on EMO.
I have zero insight into Chauvette, other than what folks are talking about on here and the videos shared, but Brown I had some insight into in HS. He transferred into Calvert Hall (I assume for greater exposure) and in senior year was on a line with Patrick Kelly (who ended the season ranked by some as the top attack man in MD that year) and Carter Brown who did quite well at Ohio State. Patrick carried the ball the most, but as you can see from this highlight reel of Brown, he was much more than a catch and shoot guy by his senior year...he could take on pretty much anyone and create his own...but he wasn't the designated QB.

I knew he was going to be special the prior summer when he and my son were selected for a state all star team for a national tournament held in MD. Selection was based on tryouts not prior season. Ryan was the best player on the field in each game and I saw him do some rather extraordinary things. Down a goal in less than 30 seconds left, the opponent's defense threw a long clearing pass to break the ride, my son came out of the goal and contested the attack man, knocking him off the ball and, coming up with it, sprinted up field to see Ryan sprinting towards him...whipped the pass, Ryan took it in stride from midfield through all defenders to the mouth of the goal and stuffed it in beating the horn. FO and to Ryan for the score and win. Tremendous physical and lax IQ effort. Will to win.

My son had played club ball for 4 years with Pat Kelly so I'd seen him make numerous plays including game winners, an uncanny nose for making the shot, slippery and smart, but I hadn't seen that level of physicality. It looked to me then like Brown was a good bet to get bigger and faster from there, critical at the college level...which as we know he did and then on into the pros. But Pat continued to be the primary ball carrier and top point getter for the Hall that next spring, so hard for the IL raters to have both guys be top 10...

I'd also watched Ryan work on his shot and in the tryouts and practice sessions...my son, a tender, said that by far Ryan's overhand shot was the most difficult to stop of any of the players he faced as it was so difficult to read the release point. It all looked the same...

Chauvette looks like he has some of those excellent moves to create space for a shot and a fast release that makes it really hard for a goalie to read and catch up to. I don't know if he has or will develop the physicality, but Ryan's progression was pretty exceptional, so that would be a tough bet to match.
Appreciate all the comments on Brown. Brown got better as a pro … not too surprising. He is one of the best shooters of the past couple of decades, but his game was much more than his shooting. His off-ball play was excellent and I recall some pretty serviceable dodges (albeit, not what he was known for).

Don’t quite understand the comparison of Chauvette to Brown. The obvious comparison is to Degnon, and Chauvette’s lefty shot from the wing sure reminds me of Degnon.

If Degnon does return (any updates on that?), I think it would be fun to have them both on the field at the same time. Imagine, Degnon catches a pass on the wing, but the D prevents a shot … Degnon rotates to the top and passes the ball back to the wing … where Chauvette is waiting to take the very same shot Degnon would have fired off.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:26 am

Appreciate all the comments on Brown. Brown got better as a pro … not too surprising. He is one of the best shooters of the past couple of decades, but his game was much more than his shooting. His off-ball play was excellent and I recall some pretty serviceable dodges (albeit, not what he was known for).

Don’t quite understand the comparison of Chauvette to Brown. The obvious comparison is to Degnon, and Chauvette’s lefty shot from the wing sure reminds me of Degnon.

If Degnon does return (any updates on that?), I think it would be fun to have them both on the field at the same time. Imagine, Degnon catches a pass on the wing, but the D prevents a shot … Degnon rotates to the top and passes the ball back to the wing … where Chauvette is waiting to take the very same shot Degnon would have fired off.

DocBarrister 8-)
I threw up Brown as a comparison, since this is a Hopkins thread. I said I thought O'Keefe was a better comp. The reason for Brown was the efficiency of movement in his shot. All 3 have very little wasted movement in their shots. They "surprise" the defense/goalie with how fast the ball gets out of their stick. They are not outside shooters that blow their shot by a goalie, like a Perkovic and Degnon. They steal that extra 1/2 a second with efficiency of their shooting motion. Personally, I think that is an under-rated skill. Too many players work to hit 100 mph on their shot (usually in futility, unless you are 6'4" like Perk and Degnon), failing to realize that shortening their shooting motion can achieve similar results.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:34 am

I don't know but Brown had some 8 goal games. That's no myth to me.
I think the comparison to Brown is primarily to be relevant to Hopkins fans on this forum.
Hunter Chauvette may not be Ryan Brown or Mac OKeefe, but I do think he's someone who could make an impact next year if used correctly.
https://youtu.be/IU5iDAff6zQ
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chauvette's first goal in the All-American game looked like Brown. Lighting quick release. The ball is in the back of the net before the goalie can react. Brown scored dozens of goals exactly like that off of fast breaks and unsettled plays. He didn't need to step into it. Just catch and fire.

Again, the usual caveat applies (almost no real defense was played) but I was impressed with some of Chauvette's cross-field passes. He sees the field well from the high wing and was looking to get it to guys streaking down the other side in transition — put several sidearm passes right on the money. I think he has the potential to match Degnon's 40 goals per season while mixing in a few more assists. Degnon had 15 in his career.

One other thing not to discount — he has built-in chemistry with Brooks English (and Chuck Rawson) from high school. If you watch his highlights you'll notice a lot of those snipes came off English dodges. One can imagine some good things happening when they're on the field together.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:54 am Chauvette's first goal in the All-American game looked like Brown. Lighting quick release. The ball is in the back of the net before the goalie can react. Brown scored dozens of goals exactly like that off of fast breaks and unsettled plays. He didn't need to step into it. Just catch and fire.

Again, the usual caveat applies (almost no real defense was played) but I was impressed with some of Chauvette's cross-field passes. He sees the field well from the high wing and was looking to get it to guys streaking down the other side in transition — put several sidearm passes right on the money. I think he has the potential to match Degnon's 40 goals per season while mixing in a few more assists. Degnon had 15 in his career.

One other thing not to discount — he has built-in chemistry with Brooks English (and Chuck Rawson) from high school. If you watch his highlights you'll notice a lot of those snipes came off English dodges. One can imagine some good things happening when they're on the field together.
Would definitely be interesting to see how Jimmy Ayers works into this mix. He's got a great first step and some good flat line speed. He can also shoot the ball as well as dish.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:42 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:26 am

DocBarrister 8-)
I threw up Brown as a comparison, since this is a Hopkins thread. I said I thought O'Keefe was a better comp. The reason for Brown was the efficiency of movement in his shot. All 3 have very little wasted movement in their shots. They "surprise" the defense/goalie with how fast the ball gets out of their stick. They are not outside shooters that blow their shot by a goalie, like a Perkovic and Degnon. They steal that extra 1/2 a second with efficiency of their shooting motion. Personally, I think that is an under-rated skill. Too many players work to hit 100 mph on their shot (usually in futility, unless you are 6'4" like Perk and Degnon), failing to realize that shortening their shooting motion can achieve similar results.
Ah, got ya. Thanks.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Minto Cup, the BC Jr’s side,

Stuart Phillips has 14 goals and 15 assists for 29 points while Cody Malawsky has matched Phillips' 14 goals and added 10 assists.
Coquitlam gets their first chance to wrap up the series with a home game this Saturday.
Unfortunately, nothing written up about Orangeville on the OJLL side (finals begin tonight free on Youtube),

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nals/61924

________
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tremendous game,

but Orangeville hadn’t given up this many goals all year, Marquis was gunning it all game, 6 goals — Orangeville’s unbeaten streak is over.

Solid solid game for the English brothers.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:57 pm Tremendous game,

but Orangeville hadn’t given up this many goals all year, Marquis was gunning it all game, 6 goals — Orangeville’s unbeaten streak is over.

Solid solid game for the English brothers.
Burlington's leading scorer with 3 goals and 2 assists...Chuck Rawson

Caught a bit of the game. Marquis is unbelievable
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sawyer English will be eligible for committing in a month,

Sawyer English
#15 / Class of 2025 / M
The Lawrenceville School - Boys Varsity

I’d give Hopkins the inside track.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Same for his L’ville teammate and Chuck’s brother, Ted Rawson.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Watched the game for the plethora of highlights by Hop players and recruits. Was suitably impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/live/kAUEqv63vXA?feature=share
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/ore ... ave-pac-12

Women adding Oregon to USC for their 2025 schedule.

Amazing we'll now see Johns Hopkins-Oregon as a conference matchup.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Jen Beck was a friend. When she started the program i never expected UO to ever be on the Hop schedule. Lax has come a long way in Oregon.

She once gave me a tour of the athletic facilities inc the FB locker room and indoor facility. I was speechless over that i saw. Small wonder major programs have revenue issues. Uncle Phil helps.
Last edited by OCanada on Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:16 pm Jen Beck was a friend. When she started the program i never expected UO to ever be on the Hop schedule. Lax has come a long way in Oregon.
What's the cost of the USC/Oregon trips for the womens program? That's basically another half scholarship every year the program has to get from donors.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I am very out of touch on that issue now. I think your estimate is high. I remember talking to someone from Cuse? Who was quoting 30k to come here by air. But that was a decade ago or so and memory may fail from a decade ago,

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”